Meet your 2008 Twins!

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

GR3343 wrote:
ChrisK wrote:I saw Guillen make those comments about Blackburn. It's one of those things that makes Ozzie who he is but I thought it was disrespectful and I hope those words come back to slap him in the face. As if Blackburn needed any more motivation to have a good night tonight.

Isn't it supposed to be windy tonight? Windy in Chicago who'da thought, but if it's blowing in that has to help the Twins. In addition to Danks poor numbers against the Twins, he's pitching on short rest. The White Sox bullpen better be ready to go.

I'm like Govs, I don't want to get too hyped about this game because the disappointment if they lose is easier to live with but I really want them to win. They've got a chance but it won't be easy.
Life's too short to be conservative. Expect the best for the team and if they come up short, it's been a heck of a run. If they win tonight, who knows where it will end.
It's not being conservative, it's just not wanting to see those snarky White Sox fans going nuts. Or the White Sox players piling up after winning the division.

Trust me, I want the Twins to win this thing but I'll have to look away if it gets bad. That said, it has been a great season. I thought 2006 was one of the best ever but the way it ended left a bad taste in my mouth. With all the young players the Twins have done more than could reasonably be expected already this year so I won't have the same feeling if this season ends suddenly.

I'll just tip my hat to the Sox if they do win. After throwing up a little in my mouth.
It's hard to win when you always lose.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Ya gotta admit the do or die atmosphere of this game is great...it has meaning....not like the other gazillion games they played. :lol:

I may even tune in to watch a couple innings :shock:
Is that Jermaine guy playing??

:D
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Is that Jermaine guy playing??
:D
Yeah... He's paying 2nd bass.

HEY-OH!!!! Image
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

packerboy wrote:There is also no doubt that Balckburn is on a short leash. If balls start flying out , he will be out of there.
Who'll be the cavalry? Liriano is my choice, he's had three days since he threw 85 pitches. Liriano is the only one capable of hanging enough zeros to buy some time for the offense to make up an early deficit.

Can't watch this one tonight.

God's speed to the Twins. Don't lose to this team, tonight, under these circumstances.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

It's official.... The Twins have already lost.

Jason Kubel isn't in the lineup.

Twins
1. Denard Span, RF
2. Alexi Casilla, 2B
3. Joe Mauer, C
4. Justin Morneau, 1B
5. Michael Cuddyer, DH
6. Delmon Young, LF
7. Brendan Harris, 3B
8. Nick Punto, SS
9. Carlos Gomez, CF

Sux
1. Orlando Cabrera, SS
2. Dewayne Wise, LF
3. Jermaine Dye, RF
4. Jim Thome, DH
5. Paul Konerko, 1B
6. Ken Griffey, Jr., CF
7. Alexei Ramirez, 2B
8. A.J. Pierzynski, C
9. Juan Uribe, 3B
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

Govs93 wrote:It's official.... The Twins have already lost.

Jason Kubel isn't in the lineup.

Twins
1. Denard Span, RF
2. Alexi Casilla, 2B
3. Joe Mauer, C
4. Justin Morneau, 1B
5. Michael Cuddyer, DH
6. Delmon Young, LF
7. Brendan Harris, 3B
8. Nick Punto, SS
9. Carlos Gomez, CF

Sux
1. Orlando Cabrera, SS
2. Dewayne Wise, LF
3. Jermaine Dye, RF
4. Jim Thome, DH
5. Paul Konerko, 1B
6. Ken Griffey, Jr., CF
7. Alexei Ramirez, 2B
8. A.J. Pierzynski, C
9. Juan Uribe, 3B
Superman is in Govs!
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

Superman is out.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

jason boofin kubel lost us the game
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Post by Joey (nine toes) Marcoux »

:(
No joy in Muddville.

=D>
Nice season for the Twins. Kept our interest until the end.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

If anything good comes from this, hopefully it will be that MLB will do the right thing and get rid of the coin toss to determine home field.

I guess I didn't even realize it until Peter Gammons said it last night, but there's another pivotal occurence where they don't use a coin toss... If two teams in same divsion have clinched playoff spots (division title, and wild card) and finished tied, instead of playing a tie breaker to determine who gets which spot, the team with the better head-to-head record is the division champ. That makes sense... right?

The coin toss is ridiculous... You're telling me that's better determining factor than a head to head record? Division record? League Record? Run differential? Anything that takes place on the field?

The rules are what they are, and the Twins lost straight up, but hopefully this is enough for MLB to look at and finally realize that this "system" ( :roll: ) is absurdly flawed.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Govs93 wrote:If anything good comes from this, hopefully it will be that MLB will do the right thing and get rid of the coin toss to determine home field.

I guess I didn't even realize it until Peter Gammons said it last night, but there's another pivotal occurence where they don't use a coin toss... If two teams in same divsion have clinched playoff spots (division title, and wild card) and finished tied, instead of playing a tie breaker to determine who gets which spot, the team with the better head-to-head record is the division champ. That makes sense... right?

The coin toss is ridiculous... You're telling me that's better determining factor than a head to head record? Division record? League Record? Run differential? Anything that takes place on the field?

The rules are what they are, and the Twins lost straight up, but hopefully this is enough for MLB to look at and finally realize that this "system" ( :roll: ) is absurdly flawed.
Sounds reasonable, but you wouldn't care if we would have won.
:wink:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote:If anything good comes from this, hopefully it will be that MLB will do the right thing and get rid of the coin toss to determine home field.

Sounds reasonable, but you wouldn't care if we would have won.
:wink:
You're damn right I wouldn't care... The coin toss would be the most genius idea in pro sports if they had won.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

It was a fun year.

But I am dissappointed they didnt make it to the playoffs and they should be too.

This was a year to sneak in. DET started in the tank and stayed there. CLE had a terrible first 2/3s of the season and couldnt recover. So, that left the Twins and the Sox.

It was an opportunity lost.

Next year the division could be lot tougher.

So what about next year?

What do you do with the 4 outfielders?

Is there a RH power hitter out there that can be signed?

Who plays SS every day?

These and other issues need discussion.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

packerboy wrote:So what about next year?
Well, they need a right handed thumper.

Frank Thomas is a free agent.

I smell WORLD SERIES!!!!
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

The Frank Thomas idea is 2 years ago.

Cuddyer needs to play 3rd.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

packerboy wrote:The Frank Thomas idea is 2 years ago.

Cuddyer needs to play 3rd.
That would be the ideal solution, but his glove was b-r-utal over there in the past. If he can figure that out, it would save the Twins' some loot (or pitching) by not having to sign or trade for a 3B... Money that could be used to solidify SS, shore up the pen, or get a heavy right handed hitter, and at the same time, it solves the problem of having an overloaded OF.

I'll hit him grounders all winter. I'm good with a Fungo.
Last edited by Govs93 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

What a great year for the Twins. Who wooda thunk?

Things are looking bright indeed for this team, from starting pitching to the power "potential" of many of the kids.

Delmons defense in left still scares me even on routine fly balls, and needs to learn the strike zone before he's "given" left field.

I think Punto had a great year, and hopefully is re-signed as the utility infielder he is.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Cuddyer should not play third, he should be traded for a third baseman with some power from the right side. Not some prospect in A or AA either.
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

State Champ 97 wrote:Cuddyer should not play third, he should be traded for a third baseman with some power from the right side. Not some prospect in A or AA either.
Keep Cuddy as the utility OF, trade Kubel for a right handed power bat, leave Young, Span and CarGo as your every day OF. Give Morneau a day or two off during the year so he doesn't go completely flat at the end of the season, get rid of Boof for a bag of balls :lol: , keep their rotation in order, have an Every Day Eddie retirement ceremony, keep Reyes & Mijares as your set up guys, Nathan as the closer, only throw Bass & Guerrier in blowouts one way or the other, keep Breslow in the mix as the long relief guy, pray for Neshak to be 100%. Also, get rid of Everett, have Harris and Buscher platoon at 3rd, perhaps include Tolbert in the Kubel trade to get a bigger bat, keep Punto at short(he's earned it).
Character is who you are when no one is watching
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

One thing I hope they do not do in the off season:

Sign a couple or 3 washed up, never was, bargain basement free agents to play until they are released in June.

We have had quite enough of that, thank you.
Cornbread

Post by Cornbread »

Govs93 wrote:

I smell WORLD SERIES!!!!
Barry Bonds would have been the answer this year!
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

Cornbread wrote:
Govs93 wrote:

I smell WORLD SERIES!!!!
Barry Bonds is left handed.
BB
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Cornbread wrote:
Govs93 wrote:

I smell WORLD SERIES!!!!
And you have proven your opinion is worthless.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
Cornbread wrote:
Govs93 wrote: Well, they need a right handed thumper.

I smell WORLD SERIES!!!!

If you are reffering to me: Barry Bonds is a left handed hitter is not an opinion... he IS a left handed hitter. I was just pointing out a fact.
BB
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Bash Brother wrote:
EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
Cornbread wrote: Barry Bonds would have been the answer this year!

If you are reffering to me: Barry Bonds is a left handed hitter is not an opinion... he IS a left handed hitter. I was just pointing out a fact.
Did I quote you BB? :roll:

And btw, he is LH in both aspects.

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls