Meet your 2008 Twins!

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

Sorry. I must have quoted that wrong because i originally posted that bonds was left-handed.
BB
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

You did. I didn't quote you, just the Bondshead ahead of you.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:You did. I didn't quote you, just the Bondshead ahead of you.

My mistake. As you should know by now i am a public school kid. If my parents would have spent the money i would have understood that.... cheap parents. (maybe if they had a bailout :idea: )
BB
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

This was first heard here on the bored.

This is also a very interesting read.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Once again, these guys from the Red Star plagerize us.

We put it out there way in front of everybody and they use our stuff with no credit to us.

At least they could say, "as discussed on minnhock by poster Govs 93" or something.

Geez.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Man, do I love the Dodgers all of a sudden. Nothing against the Cubs, but now that the Red Sox have won a title (a couple), the Cubs losing are the only tradition that still goes back to the early days of MLB - for crying out loud, the ballpark hot dog itself is only a couple of years older than the Cubs losing streak! If the Cubs ever win a World Series, you may as well rename the sport, because it won't be the same. I love everything about the Cubs: the park, the fans, the "vibe"... the losing. It all goes hand in hand. GO DODGERS!

Having said that, I still hate Manny, so I'm hoping that the Fightin' Phils sweep them in the NLCS (assuming they both get there).

When I was talking to Mrs. Govs about it last night, she said "but what about the Vikings?". I said that's different. That is all.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Souhan has an article in the Red Star today about the Twins and what they need to do and how the front office has a "hit and miss " history.

One thing he wrote that caused me to grimace was that the Garza/Young trade was a disaster and Young should be traded. Ive heard that before from the media.

I dont understand that. Garza had a decent season but his numbers were about the same as any of the Twins 2-5 guys, which he would have been one of. The Twins didnt need Garza, they already had a hand full of him.

The Twins needed a young, power hitting outfileder who they could have around for awhile without spending a bundle on. They thought and still think that will be Young.

Young didnt have the season we would have liked him to have....25Hrs and 100 RBI. But he is 22 years old.

Morneau didnt have the seasons we would have liked him to have right away either. He hit .239 in his first full year.

If Young isnt in LF , who is? Lew Ford?

Even if Young never hits more than 15 HRs and bats .290 its an OK trade....assuming Garza doesnt turn into CY Young.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

packerboy wrote:Souhan has an article in the Red Star today about the Twins and what they need to do and how the front office has a "hit and miss " history.

One thing he wrote that caused me to grimace was that the Garza/Young trade was a disaster and Young should be traded. Ive heard that before from the media.

I dont understand that. Garza had a decent season but his numbers were about the same as any of the Twins 2-5 guys, which he would have been one of. The Twins didnt need Garza, they already had a hand full of him.

The Twins needed a young, power hitting outfileder who they could have around for awhile without spending a bundle on. They thought and still think that will be Young.

Young didnt have the season we would have liked him to have....25Hrs and 100 RBI. But he is 22 years old.

Morneau didnt have the seasons we would have liked him to have right away either. He hit .239 in his first full year.

If Young isnt in LF , who is? Lew Ford?

Even if Young never hits more than 15 HRs and bats .290 its an OK trade....assuming Garza doesnt turn into CY Young.
All you heard for years before last offseason was that the Twins had a ton of pitching depth and why wouldn't they ever deal of any of it to get some hitters? They did - and to a degree it worked. The guy hit almost .300 and is still only 23. Do people honestly believe he's peaked? No way.

They finally rolled the dice and made a bold move. I won't fault them for that.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

plus if gardy ever needs to take out an ump someone is there to teach him

but jokes aside, i do like the trade. I like harris more than bartlett too. We always have pitching, but a stable LF (maybe a little work on D) with a nice bat is harder to find
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I read in Charlie Walters column that Young doesn't fit in the Twins clubhouse. It sounded like the Twins would consider moving him because of that which should cause packerboy's head to pop off and I think it's a crock too.

He's been a butcher in the outfield but he's young and he's got potential to hit for power which the Twins really need plus he's righthanded. I don't know what the Twins could get for Cuddyer but I'd consider moving him before Young.
It's hard to win when you always lose.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Solutions for the log jam in the outfield

1) Move Cuddyer back to 3rd. The Twins were 12th in the AL in fielding this year so it is now a myth that the Twins are a superior defensive team rendering Cuddyer infsufficient for the Twins' Hot Corner.

2) Trade Delmon

3) Trade Gomez

4) Trad Span

Analysis

Delmon isn't going to have a lot of value. If the Twins put up the "for sale" sign on Delmon, teams will wonder why nobody wants to keep him. That would make it 3 teams in 3 years.

Another thing that concerns me and it should concern other teams is Delmon's weight. Rays radio announcers a couple weeks ago were saying Delmon looks a good 30lbs heavier than a year ago. Do you guys recall the physique of his brother Dmitri, is this the road Delmon is going down?

Delmon in Left, Span in center, Cuddyer in right. Move Gomez, he unlike Delmon has a lot of trade value depite being a 3 team in 3 years guy. Move Gomez for what they really need, a SS.

Span isn't going to have the trade value of Gomez. He doesn't have the eye poping potential of Gomez and Span's body of work is a litttle thin to attract what the Twins need.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Empire's teams for the playoffs:

Anybody but Cubs, White Sox, Red Sox & Brewers.

So far I'm 3-4 from what it looks like.

Keep Delmon and Cuddyer. Put Span in left and Cuddy in right, let Delmon DH. Get rid of that Kubel fool.

packerboy

Post by packerboy »

The plan put forth by IS is so far out there, it may border on..........genius. :lol:

Whatever Delmon is now, he is only 22/23 years old.

I watched Matt Garza pitch yesterday. He didnt top Nick Blackburn's performance vs the same team.

I dont think the Young/Garza trade was a blockbuster. I doubt either will end up in Cooperstown. But Tampa got some pitching help and the Twins got a little more pop in LF than they had.

I liked what Span did this season. But if he is your RF , its .290 8/9 HRs. Again, no pop at the corners.

They need Cuddyer's bat and he can play 3b as well as anybody else they have.
EREmpireStrikesBack

If I remember correctly, it wasn't totally Cuddyer's glove at 3B that wasn't very good. When he played there, his bat wasn't so hot either.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:If I remember correctly, it wasn't totally Cuddyer's glove at 3B that wasn't very good. When he played there, his bat wasn't so hot either.

Cuddyers fielding percentage at 3rd was about .950 which isn't great. But Buschers was .938 this year. IF we keep Delmon, put Cuddy at third.

I also think Cargo could benefit from a year in AAA learning the strike zone.
EREmpireStrikesBack

The Twins' Bill Smith is in Los Angeles for baseball's general manager meetings, and it would be surprising if he doesn't talk to the San Diego Padres about a deal of third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff for left fielder Delmon Young.

St. Paul Pioneer Press
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
The Twins' Bill Smith is in Los Angeles for baseball's general manager meetings, and it would be surprising if he doesn't talk to the San Diego Padres about a deal of third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff for left fielder Delmon Young.

St. Paul Pioneer Press
Throw in Jake Peavy and I'm all about it! :D
EREmpireStrikesBack

Govs93 wrote:

St. Paul Pioneer Press
Throw in Jake Peavy and I'm all about it! :D
This is San Diego, not San Fran Govs. :wink:

packerboy

Post by packerboy »

St. Paul Pioneer Press
The Twins would have to offer more. Kouz is already where they want Delmon to be offensively....20+Hrs and 80+ RBI.

I dont see SD making that trade.