2007 Coaching Vacancies

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

tomASS

Post by tomASS »

Chaska's AD is one of the finest individuals within a school system for working with coaches and making sure they have the support of the district first and foremost. There should be more like him in the state.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

tomASS wrote:Chaska's AD is one of the finest individuals within a school system for working with coaches and making sure they have the support of the district first and foremost. There should be more like him in the state.
Then they must have changed AD's since they fired their long-time boys basketball coach a few years back
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

Golferguy, my post about U10 hockey and GHS was a joke. GHS should be coaching at the college level; he would do great at that level.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

xwildfan wrote:Golferguy, my post about U10 hockey and GHS was a joke. GHS should be coaching at the college level; he would do great at that level.
THANKS!
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

TTT - I expect we'll start to hear of some soon...
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Head Girls' Hockey Coach
School: Saint Louis Park High School
Send Resumes to:
Andrew Ewald- AD
6425 West 33rd Street
St. Louis Park, MN 55426-3498 For More Info:
Andrew Ewald
952-928-6118
ewald.andy@slpschools.org

Deadline: 2/13/07 Start:
Description:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JJhockeySS

Bad news

Post by JJhockeySS »

It's too bad to see Coach Clarks leave after only one season. He stepped in to a program in the beginning stages of rebuilding. He was a good guy, and it's too bad to see him leave after only one season. It also is too bad for a program to have to start the coach search again, that doesn't help the program to have a new coach each season.
SportsMa

Post by SportsMa »

Don't know Coach Clarks but it is definitely tough on a program when there is frequent turnover.

Our girls hockey program has had three head varsity coaches in the last three years. Each time the coach has been new to the system so they have to learn not only the players but everything else, too. Tough on a program. The last one who was doing some nice things with the team and the whole girls program left due to there not being a full time job in the school system and was offered a full time job plus coaching elsewhere.
JJhockeySS

Right on

Post by JJhockeySS »

SportsMa,

You are right on, and with 3 new coaches in 3 years, it has to be tough on the kids.

Unfortunately I think for the 3rd consecutive year we will find that the number of coaches leaving their position will increase. This is becoming a problem for the game, and one that the powers that have some control will need to take a serious look at if they want the sport to continue to grow. The many problems have been discussed at length on this board, and I don't know the answers, but I hope for the sake of the game we can find some ways to help retain the quality coaches we currently have in the game.
hockeygod

Post by hockeygod »

There is going to be turnover in coaching because of the low pay, long hours, unforgiving parents and the pressure to win, I think a big question is whats being done to hold the program togeather in the absence of a head coach? We all talk big about supporting girls hockey but what can be done to keep teams from loosing interest in the absence of a head coach. The people that want to grow womens hockey have to step in and make sure that the girls are getting there off season training program, someone knowledgeable is running a summer program for them. If you allow players to lose interest you will loose players
Roman Legion

Post by Roman Legion »

It is tough to find people that are willing to put up with the crap year in and year out. Turnover rates are going to continue to rise. Does anyone know about the turnover rate for boys HS coaches? I am wondering if it is the same as the girls and if any assumptions can be made from this limited data.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

ghshockeyfan wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Head Girls' Hockey Coach
School: Saint Louis Park High School
Send Resumes to:
Andrew Ewald- AD
6425 West 33rd Street
St. Louis Park, MN 55426-3498 For More Info:
Andrew Ewald
952-928-6118
ewald.andy@slpschools.org

Deadline: 2/13/07 Start:
Description:

Note - the Deadline is 3/13 now, not 2/13...
finance_gal

Post by finance_gal »

so this it, this is all we have for coaching resignations? somehow I thought that there would be more by now... would that bring the average down if this turned ou to be the only coaching turnover that we see this year.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

We'll see quite a few yet I'm afraid. Much of this doesn't get decided until AD's/coaches have these discussions post-season...
finance_gal

Post by finance_gal »

I guess it was just wishfull thinking on my part :)
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

I don't know much about SLP's team--I know they're down, I saw them lose to Sibley--but I do know that they have one of the best U10 goalies in the state. I don't know her name but she's absolutely incredible. So in three or four years you'll have that going for you.... 8)
rchhcky

Post by rchhcky »

John Gamble from Rochester Mayo announced his resignation.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

rchhcky wrote:John Gamble from Rochester Mayo announced his resignation.
Sad to see this. Another long time coach moving on...
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

Shane Krey out at HM. Bill Schafhausen in.
hockeygod

Post by hockeygod »

Shane Krey is out. This is a good thing for the program at Hill Murray. There were alot of problems with his program that he didn't even relize were going on. When he seen my rumblings on line he assumed they were just an isolated incident and the truth be told, my rants were just the tip of the iceburg with most of the complaints going unseen under the water line. What could Shane have done to save his coaching, He could have watched what other teams were doing and grew with girls hockey, as other teams were taping games and reviewing what they did wrong, he would just tell the kids. when other teams were pounding teamwork and passing he depended on the breakaway and the one girl show. There are many other things he could have done and I'm sure he was a great coach in his day but he allowed the game to grow while he didn't.... I wish him good luck in the future, he just wasn't the right coach for a school that aspires to become a premier girls hockey school
hockeyrube7

Post by hockeyrube7 »

hockeygod wrote:Shane Krey is out. This is a good thing for the program at Hill Murray. There were alot of problems with his program that he didn't even relize were going on. When he seen my rumblings on line he assumed they were just an isolated incident and the truth be told, my rants were just the tip of the iceburg with most of the complaints going unseen under the water line. What could Shane have done to save his coaching, He could have watched what other teams were doing and grew with girls hockey, as other teams were taping games and reviewing what they did wrong, he would just tell the kids. when other teams were pounding teamwork and passing he depended on the breakaway and the one girl show. There are many other things he could have done and I'm sure he was a great coach in his day but he allowed the game to grow while he didn't.... I wish him good luck in the future, he just wasn't the right coach for a school that aspires to become a premier girls hockey school
All of this is not that unusual, and sounds just like a hundred other coaches accross the state.
hockeygod

Post by hockeygod »

That 100 other coaches should work to improve if they want to have there coaching positions somewhat assured. If I was coaching I would bring on a coaching intern every year so that I could learn from someone younger than me who was more tuned into what my team was thinking
hockeyrube7

Post by hockeyrube7 »

hockeygod wrote:That 100 other coaches should work to improve if they want to have there coaching positions somewhat assured. If I was coaching I would bring on a coaching intern every year so that I could learn from someone younger than me who was more tuned into what my team was thinking
Absolutely! But you won't see that too often, and the ones that do usually do stick around, and the team succeeds. But what is success to one, is not always the same to another. As noted on many other topics in this forum, is winning and getting to state "success", or is every kid in the program growing and learning the game a success? It's all very subjective, and each coach has their own style. Hopefully the next coach will do well, and hopefully the old coach will do well where ever they end up.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

xwildfan wrote:Shane Krey out at HM. Bill Schafhausen in.
We lost another long-time coach. The trend continues...
hockeyrube7

Post by hockeyrube7 »

ghshockeyfan wrote:
xwildfan wrote:Shane Krey out at HM. Bill Schafhausen in.
We lost another long-time coach. The trend continues...
Yep, and this sounds way too much like the Gravel situation at BSM a year ago, doesn't it. How did that turn out?