Hey, how 'bout doze Gophers

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BladeButter44

Post by BladeButter44 »

True, we already know the outcome of the game.... :roll:
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Gophers 68 Iowa State 58.

Tubby Smith has already made some drastic improvements at the U, if the Gophers can stay healthy it will be an interesting season. At the very least they're fun to watch again. They should have at least 10 wins by the time the Big Ten season rolls around, only tough games are at FSU and at UNLV, the rest are at home against pretty weak competition save NDSU.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I hope you are right.

Do we get to watch them on TV or is the Big10 network thing in basketball too?
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

packerboy wrote:I hope you are right.

Do we get to watch them on TV or is the Big10 network thing in basketball too?
Once they get into the conference schedule, most of the games are on the Big Ten Network, so yes.

Until then, it looks like they have 2 games on other tv outlets... one on ESPN2, one on ESPNU. Of course, if they can win a few more, networks will jump all over them with Tubby at the helm.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I raked the last leaves Saturday and made a trip to Williams Arena just on a whim. I ended up waiting in line a bit to get tickets which I didn't expect but it was worth to watch the Gophers move to 3-0. While on the surface their win over Central Michigan might be ho-hum as the Chippewas are now 0-4 but the Chippewas lossed tight games to a tough Missouri team and a nice Niagra team. The Gophers are at Florida St. Tuesday night and are also on ESPN 2.

After all the bad that's been Minnesota sports the past few months it looks like Tubby may give us something to get excited about. The way these Gophers hustle is something to watch. I'm not a basketball guy at all but there is something about Williams Arena that's nice and draws me back. Judging by the crowd Saturday they'll sell a lot more tickets than they thought.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Punxsutawney Phil:
"I like the Gopher over
the Jackrabbit tonight.
Tubby and the boys
will dominate in route
to another non Big 10 win."
Irishmans Shanty

Note to Self,

The Gophers, (12-3, 2-1) despite their blowout of NW and their spirited 16 point comeback today are still not good, the FSU and UNLV double digit losses prove it. However, if Tubby is here for the long haul, they'll be back on the map as soon as the year after next. If Tubby can get this kind of play out of a failed coach's roster, I think I'll really like a team that exclusively has his fingerprints on it.

Note to All,

Johann Santana is not the best lefty in Minnesota anymore, Blake Hoffarber is.
pacman

Post by pacman »

I think if they Gophers play the way they have been lately down the stretch, they have a good shot at getting into the March Madness Tourny.
slapshooter

7,272nd post by SS since Feb 27th 2002 Atta Boy!

Post by slapshooter »

=P~ :arrow: ATTA BImageY FRAZEE ! :arrow: Image

SImageS
Irishmans Shanty

Unbelievable last ten seconds to this one. MIN had it, IN had it, IN got another chance to have it, MIN took it away.

Hoffarber for President!

(6)Gophers 59
(3)Indiana 58

FINAL
murraychadwick

Post by murraychadwick »

Anybody taking bets on how many times we will see the State Tourney shot during tomorrows broadcast?
pacman

Post by pacman »

Gophers are in the NIT

Face Maryland at 9:30 est on tuesday night i believe.
Irishmans Shanty

Maryland-East Shore I hope.

I'd thought a middle of the road major conference team would get a bigger cream puff than the Terrapins in the opening round of the JV tournament.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:Maryland-East Shore I hope.

I'd thought a middle of the road major conference team would get a bigger cream puff than the Terrapins in the opening round of the JV tournament.
Does it matter? If you're gonna get stuck in that turd-a-ment, you may as well try and get a decent game out of there somewhere so you can sell a few tickets and attract a little attention. It beats playing Boondocks State.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

Govs93 wrote:It beats playing Boondocks State.
Playin' you in fantasy baseball is gonna be like playing Boondocks State... :D
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Tubby gave us a little bit of fun.

He has done a good job this season breathing a bit of life back into the program. Not a good game vs the Illini but the match ups were not favorable. They dont have a lot of talent.

Neither does the Gopher hockey team.

Gritty effort vs MSU though. Very entertaining games.
pacman

Post by pacman »

Tubby is a hell of a coach, An NIT Berth is Great for what he did with the athletes on his team not being his recruits, you wait till Tubby Gets his own recruits in here, this team will be deadly, This Sampson kid that Tubby recruited looks like a Phenom.
Irishmans Shanty

Billy Packer said it best late in the second half of the MIN/ILL game on Saturday, "Neither team has a perimeter game" (due to a lack of talent). The 40-38 score at the time verified it. Thanks to the BTN I saw a lot of basketball throughout the year and the Big 10 is painful to watch at times because the teams really commit to playing D and are content to slug out a half court game.

I could be wrong but Tubby's M.O. hasn't been what the Big 10 has become, If Tubby can recruit his guys to run on offense and to play a high pressure full court D after made shots, MIN could throw a look at the Wisconsin's, IN's and MSU's that gives them fits when they play major conference teams outside the Big 10.

"Blake Hoffarber for President"
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I didnt get to watch much college hoops this year thanks to the Big Ten network but what I did see was not a very good brand of ball.

I still like it but its a far cry from the days when players stayed for 4 years or even 3.

Compared to the 'Bobby Jackson team' this one looks like HS JV.

Maybe it was bad game to watch but man it was ugly at times.

I agree with IS but it wouldnt take much to improve. Its hard to believe that team was close to .500 in the Big 10.
Irishmans Shanty

A Buc finds gold....... and maroon.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:Image

A Buc finds gold....... and maroon.
I think that's a very good get for the Gophs...

Aside from the whole Crookston thing. :wink:
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

So, what was that all about?

Why does Guentzel leave with no head coaching job offer on the table?
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

packerboy wrote:So, what was that all about?

Why does Guentzel leave with no head coaching job offer on the table?
I heard it was a resign or else. And "The Don" is in a bit of hot water for not replacing him with an "M" guy.
northwoods oldtimer

Goph's

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

High time for "The Don" to go.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Re: Goph's

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:High time for "The Don" to go.
You must be crazy. I liked G and think it was unfair how he exited, but I don't think Lucia should go at all.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls