Hermantown VS. Duluth Marshall Jan 4th

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins?

Hermantown
52%
Duluth Marshall
48%

Total votes: 56

Hockey Shananigans

Post by Hockey Shananigans »

Hermantown 1-0 Drew Leblanc Unassisted
Hockey Shananigans

1-1 Marshall Goal with 5:01 to go in the third
Hockey Shananigans

1-1 after regulation. Looks like were going into overtime.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

Sounds like a great game
Kamakaze

Post by Kamakaze »

and ITS A TIE

Hermantown: 1
Duluth Marshal: 1

dang this was a good game from what i listened to.
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

Hermantown - 1
Duluth Marshall - 1

FINAL
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

Wow! Now the controversy goes on...who is number 1 is not settled.
DmnHawk5

Post by DmnHawk5 »

This was probably the best hockey game i have ever been too, DM had many more chances to score but Hermantowns goalie played amazing s. Im surprised Dm was able to put almost 50 SOG on H-town, both D's played great, but i saw a lil more O power from DM. As for who is #1..........who knows and honestly after a game like that it doesn't matter, but these are the 2 best teams in class A. Great job to both teams!
minyhocky

Post by minyhocky »

Yes the controvery goes on. This was a great game, the place was absolutely packed, it was like 3 people deep standing around the boards. final shots were somewhere around 50-30 in favor of DM. Hermantown's goalie played amazing, if not for him it could have gotten ugly fast. Marshall had a lot of odd man rushes and breakaways but couldn't convert on them. Really good game though.

After tonight...
1.Duluth Marshall
2.Hermantown
3.STA
hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 »

minyhocky wrote:Yes the controvery goes on. This was a great game, the place was absolutely packed, it was like 3 people deep standing around the boards. final shots were somewhere around 50-30 in favor of DM. Hermantown's goalie played amazing, if not for him it could have gotten ugly fast. Marshall had a lot of odd man rushes and breakaways but couldn't convert on them. Really good game though.

After tonight...
1.Duluth Marshall
2.Hermantown
67.STA

I couldn't agree more 8)

Great game
Hawks got outshot by a ton but the quality scoring chances were much closer
Both goalies played awesome

Looks like STA is OUT OF IT
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

minyhocky wrote:final shots were somewhere around 50-30 in favor of DM. Hermantown's goalie played amazing, if not for him it could have gotten ugly fast.
I believe the final shots were:

Hermantown - 33
Duluth Marshall - 49

Nathan Hardy did play great in this game, I really believe he is a tremendous goaltender and has been just overshadowed by the Hawks potent offensive attack up until this point in the season. Hardy will win some big games for the Hawks this season. I'm looking forward to seeing Hermantwon and Cloquet-Esko-Carlton.
cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever »

What I noticed, I was at the game:

1. Marshall stepped into every lane and intercepted numerous passes in the neutral zone. Transition game was months ahead of Hermantown. Hermantowns puck movement was very slow leading to Marshall players "reading" the play, which probably didn't help that it seemed there was too much standing around waiting for passes to arrive on Hermantowns part.

2. Marshall won nearly EVERY faceoff!

3. Marshall appeared to be a better conditioned team and deaper this year, which I was surprised at after watching last years contest where Hermantown had the depth and would've been able to roll 4 lines against Marshall if the game last yr was in Hermantown.

So, yeah. I'd say Marshall was the better team, but whoever thought it would be a "running time" game for either team really doesn't know what they're talking about. I didn't see a great advantage one side or the other, I don't think Marshalls goalie got challenged, and I wouldn't say Hardy stood on his head. He had more challenging shots, a few he slid over with the pass to save. Many "shots" for Marshall came on dump-ins early in the game. It wasn't until the 3rd period that Marshall really took over in the shot category, and I'd say before that Hermantown had more quality shots.

The whole argument about Hermantown not playing anybody tough? Marshall gets the same soft schedule in Jan/Feb. so lets see the 10-1 scores roll up please! Get out to both Cloquet/Marshall and CLoquet/Hermantown games.
DmnHawk5

Post by DmnHawk5 »

yeah. there was no way this would go to running time, but if hardy hadn't played obsolutly amazing it would have been a DM win by probably 2 goals
boblee

Post by boblee »

Just saw highlights. Looked like a thriller.
hshockey17

Post by hshockey17 »

This was a great game...both teams played very well and its hard to judge the better team based on tonights game...but after watching this game, does it seem like refs aren't calling the grabbing and hooking like they said they planned on?
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

How does Marshall and Hermantown tying at 1 put St Thomas out of it?
ocanadaourhome

out of it

Post by ocanadaourhome »

HShockeywatcher wrote:How does Marshall and Hermantown tying at 1 put St Thomas out of it?
I think what he means is since DM and Hermantown will now finish the year playing teams ranked 75-125 vs STA having to play Hill Murray twice, Minnetonka and other 2A schools they will likely finish with more losses, thus making their argument they belong ranked 67th. :?
icedude44

Post by icedude44 »

I was at the game and Cooperall gives a pretty good assessment of the game. I thought the game was quite even through two periods and in fact the shots were something like 25-24 at the end of two. Both teams had numerous quality chances in the first two periods and both tenders played very well. If either tender had an off night, their team would have been in trouble. Marshall does transition very well and caught Hermantown off guard several times. Hermantown had a number of great chances in the game but seemed to have trouble getting 2nd or 3rd shots off of an opportunity, meaning that Marshall's D did a good job of clearing the puck. I thought from the third period forward that the momentum changed in Marshall's direction. Marshall seemed to pick it up in the third and had more fire in their legs towards the end of the game. Not sure if it is a conditioning issue for Hermantown but they seemed tired. Despite all of that, Hermantown scored first late in the third but give Marshall credit for coming back to tie it. Two quality teams...great game to watch.
Mullet

Post by Mullet »

Nope
Last edited by Mullet on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mullet

Re: out of it

Post by Mullet »

ocanadaourhome wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:How does Marshall and Hermantown tying at 1 put St Thomas out of it?
I think what he means is since DM and Hermantown will now finish the year playing teams ranked 75-125 vs STA having to play Hill Murray twice, Minnetonka and other 2A schools they will likely finish with more losses, thus making their argument they belong ranked 67th. :?
Have you even looked at Marshall's schedule? They finish the year playing plenty of teams in the top twenty such as Benilde, Duluth Denfeld, Theif River Falls, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Rochester Century, Totino Grace and St. Cloud Cathedral. They play maybe one team past the 75th rank otherwise there all 40 and up. Get your facts straight before you post k buddy.
ocanadaourhome

Re: out of it

Post by ocanadaourhome »

Mullet wrote:
ocanadaourhome wrote:
Have you even looked at Marshall's schedule? They finish the year playing plenty of teams in the top twenty such as Benilde, Duluth Denfeld, Theif River Falls, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Rochester Century, Totino Grace and St. Cloud Cathedral. They play maybe one team past the 75th rank otherwise there all 40 and up. Get your facts straight before you post k buddy.
Your not really trying to build a case on team wins vs 40-75 are you? :?
boblee

Post by boblee »

Hardy was a horse. 48 saves :shock:
DFORCE10

Post by DFORCE10 »

Talked to someone that went to the game and they said it was one of the best high school games they have seen
DmnHawk5

Post by DmnHawk5 »

Yeah, i was there, it was definatly one of the best if not maybe the best game i have ever seen, at least in person.
minyhocky

Post by minyhocky »

ocanadaourhome wrote:I think what he means is since DM and Hermantown will now finish the year playing teams ranked 75-125 vs STA having to play Hill Murray twice, Minnetonka and other 2A schools they will likely finish with more losses, thus making their argument they belong ranked 67th.
Ya ok buddy :roll: ..According to minnhock's pagestat2 as of 12/30 they will be finishing the year out playing # 4,11,17,20,21,28,29,45,88,113,128, and they play superior which I head was #4 in wisconsin, not exactly sure, correct me if im wrong, and a ashland team from wisconsin that pretty bad. so I don't know where you thought up in your head that they play teams ranked 75-125, cause only 3 of the minnesota teams they play are in there, and ashland would be in there too. If Superior were added in they would maybe be able to squize into top 50, so really they finish the year playing mostly teams ranked in the top 30, just to let u know.