NAHL To Duluth?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Zamboni Guy

NAHL To Duluth?

Post by Zamboni Guy »

I have been hearing rumors about the possibility of the NAHL adding a team in the Duluth, MN area for the 2007-2008 Season. I was just wondering if anybody with a more initimate relationship with the Junior Hockey community had any possible information on this topic. Would the NAHL be a good fit in Duluth where High School Hockey is very big and there are many college hockey options available? This team would need to compete with the Division I UMD Bulldogs and Division III St. Scholastica Saints and UWS Yellowjackets for fans. Has anybody else heard anything about this possibility?
shooter812

Post by shooter812 »

I have also heard rumors but no confirmation and I also heard they were putting in another somewhere else but again not sure of any signs of confirmation I would like to hear which teams are coming in if at all, I think it's great Minnesota is getting more junior teams. Fun to watch...
sweetdish

Post by sweetdish »

It does look like Duluth will be the home base for a new NAHL franchise..it should be announce soon in time for the draft. The team will have an open tryout some time this summer for local kids...good opportunity for aspiring players
HockeyRocks1

Post by HockeyRocks1 »

Great idea but it will fail like the Mustangs in Rochester. There's just too much good hockey to watch or the people that would watch are at the rink with their own kids.

I wish them well.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

The one thing that will help make this work is if the team can get several range kids and local Duluth players. Otherwise I doubt that they will have much of a draw as the hockey dollar can only go so far.

Good luck!!
TheShow

Post by TheShow »

They have enough trouble trying to get people to go the UMD games.
boblee

post 8213

Post by boblee »

So is there an update on this situation?
aflac

Post by aflac »

I heard that USHL may be going to Lacrosse, Wisc
shooter812

Post by shooter812 »

I also heard Louisville, KY
upperleft

Post by upperleft »

The rumor of a possible NAHL team being estabilshed in Duluth has been circulating for some time. I personally would like to see it happen but, also have reservations regarding it's ability to succeed in the Twin Ports. As stated earlier in a previous post there is an abundance of great hockey already in the area. This could "limit" or negatively affect a new teams success from a financial stand-point. One Division I Men's program, One Division I Women's program, Two Division III Men's Program's and One Division III Women's program. Not to mention four local high school programs in the immediate area. When you take into account that most of the local hockey junkies already have kid's or relatives in hockey playing locally there is only so much "hockey money" avaliable to support a new franchise. Still, I think it would provide a great opportunity for many of the very talented local & and Range player's looking to continue playing. The other question that I have is where would a new franchise be based ? The new Heritage center is a possible venue.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

They announced a team in Albert Lea, I don't know who or where the owner is from but he already has a francise.
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

upperleft wrote:One Division I Men's program, One Division I Women's program, Two Division III Men's Program's and One Division III Women's program. Not to mention four local high school programs in the immediate area.
I believe that St. Scholastica will be adding a Division III Women's program next year when the school adds football as a men's sport adding yet another hockey option in the Twin Ports area.
upperleft

Post by upperleft »

Chris Heisenbergs blog has just announced that the Southern Minnesota Express will be leaving Owatanna and heading to Detroit!
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

goldy313 wrote:They announced a team in Albert Lea, I don't know who or where the owner is from but he already has a francise.
here is the link

http://www.albertleatribune.com/article ... /news3.txt
upperleft

Post by upperleft »

I'm hearing that the Express moving to Detroit is a financial decision. It is sad to see Owatanna louse their team. From speaking with some of their current and former players it sounds as if they had community support. But, having support from a solid fan base and turning a profit can often be two different things. My concerns about an NAHL franchise comming to Duluth, which already has an abundance of established hockey programs is strictly based upon fan support. In Owatanna's case it would appear that they had less competition for the local fan's and, hockey $dollars then Duluth would have. Even with that support they couldn't make it. Something to consider for those pushing a franchise in Duluth.
woodley

Post by woodley »

upperleft wrote:I'm hearing that the Express moving to Detroit is a financial decision. It is sad to see Owatanna louse their team. From speaking with some of their current and former players it sounds as if they had community support. But, having support from a solid fan base and turning a profit can often be two different things. My concerns about an NAHL franchise comming to Duluth, which already has an abundance of established hockey programs is strictly based upon fan support. In Owatanna's case it would appear that they had less competition for the local fan's and, hockey $dollars then Duluth would have. Even with that support they couldn't make it. Something to consider for those pushing a franchise in Duluth.
I don't think anyone can have an NAHL team in Minnesota that is financially profitable. That being said, don't believe for a minute that the move to Detroit wasn't a foregone conclusion when the current owners bought the Express from the Andy Murray/Rob Blake group.

Their head coach is from Detroit, they recruited actively in that area including running off one of the best goalies in the NAHL and recruiting a high school kid from Detroit. . . when the backup goalie asked about playing time when they brought the third kid in, the reply was "You're from the wrong state"

The current ownership group has demanded that their kids play to the detriment of the team. Hockey fans can see when a kid who is -15 is on the powerplay and penalty kill that something is wrong!!!
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

WendyClark wrote:
goldy313 wrote:They announced a team in Albert Lea, I don't know who or where the owner is from but he already has a francise.
here is the link

http://www.albertleatribune.com/article ... /news3.txt
DANG!!! Thats awsome! Whats the team name? Do they have a website yet? When will this team start play? 08-09, or 09-10?
shooter812

Post by shooter812 »

If anyone has anymore information on this please post. Is the team going to play in the NAHL?
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Could this be the Duluth team?
Fargo-Moorhead Jets are leaving town

FARGO, N.D. — Fargo Park District officials say the Fargo-Moorhead Jets have officially notified them that the North American Hockey League team is leaving Fargo. Jim Larson, the Park District’s director of finance and human resources, says the team did not indicate what its future plans were.

The Fargo Force, an expansion team in the United States Hockey League, is to begin play in the city in October.
upperleft

Post by upperleft »

Although the Jet's leaving Fargo was expected, moving to Duluth would be a suprise. From the people that I have talked to they dont expect them to end up in Duluth.
boblee

post 10315

Post by boblee »

upperleft wrote:Although the Jet's leaving Fargo was expected, moving to Duluth would be a suprise. From the people that I have talked to they dont expect them to end up in Duluth.
I have been hearing Thief River Falls as a major possibility for the Jets
shooter812

Post by shooter812 »

That would be a great place for it. Great rink.