Biggest Upsets Ever in MN High School Hockey

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

islesskater

Biggest Upsets Ever in MN High School Hockey

Post by islesskater » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Burnsville over AHA certainly joins the argument, congrats to Burnsville.

Unfortunately for me, the column I wrote for Minnesota Score magazine's "Tournaments Issue" will no longer run.

I thought I'd post it here anyway:

"I'm fifteen for a moment...

Caught in between ten and twenty

And I'm just dreaming..."

I was thinking about those lyrics from Five For Fighting's song "100 Years" recently-- thinking back on my teenage years. State tournament time always does that to me. I think back on how my dreams back then really only involved two things: girls and sports. That's how it should be when you're in high school. The older you get, life only gets more complicated. You find yourself longing for the days when your only real responsibilities were homework and showing up for practice on time.

But this year my reminiscing has been different and I was thinking of those lyrics for all the wrong reasons. I couldn't help but think about Mark DeLude, a sophomore defenseman for hockey power Holy Angels. How his high school dreams of sports glory and girls have taken on a weight no teenager should ever have to deal with. Mark's dad, Minneapolis Fire Fighter Barry DeLude, died on February 13 of flu complications. He didn't get his 100 years to live, few of us will, but 44 years is just too few. I didn't know Barry, but he was two years ahead of me at Southwest High School and a fellow hockey player. We did know a lot of the same people and we grew up in the same neighborhood. By all accounts he was a wonderful husband, father, family member, co-worker and friend. He married his high school sweetheart, Linda and they bought a home in the same neighborhood they both grew up in.

In high school hockey circles you hear a lot of talk about Holy Angles and the dreaded "R" word. It's an argument that will never end, private schools recruit, that's how they get a student body. It's the reasons used to recruit that people tend to argue about. But what you don't hear about enough is how much some parents sacrifice to send their children to private schools. You may wonder how a fire fighter could afford to send two children (Mark has an older brother, Jake) to Holy Angels.

Mike Adams, one of DeLude's "brothers" at Station 17 in Minneapolis said, "If Barry wasn't here at the station, he was either at hockey or out "pounding nails"-- what we call working construction jobs on the side. He sacrificed all his time for his family-- to be able to not only afford a private school, but to pay for the all the hockey expenses that don't come cheap. We used to kid him after each shift and say, "there's another hockey stick paid for". We used to joke at the station, reading the Holy Angels' box score the next day, if Mark had scored, he was "Barry's kid" if he had screwed up with a penalty or something, he was "Linda's kid"."

It's what you'd expect to hear about a fire fighter, about someone who spent his life sacrificing for others.

"Barry lived his whole life that way," Adams said, "here at the station, when that alarm sounds, you slide down that pole, it's as simple as that. People need your help."

Now the Holy Angels team certainly doesn't need anybody's help when it comes to winning hockey games. The Stars are blessed with speed and skill up and down the roster and are most people's pick to take home the big prize on March 10th. It's out of the ordinary to root for the favorite-- usually everybody wants to see David beat Goliath. But it's also out of the ordinary for a 15 year old boy to suddenly be without his father. It's out of the ordinary for a perfectly healthy 44-year old man to die a week after coming down with the flu. So you'll forgive me if I pull for Holy Angels this year. A lot of fire fighters, a lot of people from the Southwest area of Minneapolis and a lot of people whose lives were touched by a hard working, good man will be too. And most importantly, for Mark, his mother and his big brother will be in the stands, in the Holy Angels section, screaming like mad for him. And smiling down on him from wherever good people go when they pass on, will be his own personal holy angel.

After a Holy Angels win in the sectional playoffs in late February, Linda went to the firehouse to clean out Barry's locker. Inside she found, taped to the door and sides, several pictures of both her sons, in their pee-wee and squirt uniforms. A visual reminder of why Barry did what he did every day of his life.

A locker room is a lot like a fire house. All those inside it are usually like brothers. The things that make a good fire fighter are the same things that make a good teammate-- and I'll guarantee you that Mark DeLude is a good teammate. It's those characteristics-- hard work, dedication, unselfishness-- that make good people in any walk of life.

Linda, Jake and Mark DeLude lost a husband and a father, but he'll live on in their hearts and memories. And we'd all be better people-- this world would be a better place, if we applied the sentiment from the fire house:

"When that alarm sounds, you slide down that pole, it's as simple as that."

edinahornetz9

It was a big upset but not to major

Post by edinahornetz9 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:54 pm

You could say this was a very big upset. Holy Angels was bound to lose eventually though. I mean you can only win so many games before you lose one here and there. All good teams have to lose sometimes. Burnsville was #2 in the Lake conference and #2 Seed in section 5AA and they play in a very tough Lake Conference. It says they were ranked about 30th in the states last poll. Any team can win on any given day, especially if there in the top 30. The rankings really don't mean much though at this point.

When there is a game between the two best teams, sometimes the second best can beat the first best. That why they have the game to determined the best. This was a fairly big upset but I wouldn't say it's the biggest ever, but still very noteworthy considering Holy Angels record as of late. Hockey is an interesting game because a few lucky or bad bounces can totally change the game. Doesn't matter what team is playing if they make a mistake the momentum changes.

TooManyEagles

Post by TooManyEagles » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:14 pm

Last Years AHA loss to AV was a much bigger upset in my opinion, then the Burnsville one. The only thing that makes this a bigger one, is it was played in Mariucchi.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:24 pm

1977 - Rochester John Marshall over Edina in the State final. 8)

Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:29 pm

I dont know much about the history of upsets, but that i some of the best writing i have ever read.

AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:30 pm

Duluth East 5
Bloom. Jeffererson 0

Any Questions?

8)

Snake Vigilante

angus needz ta donate more dan $100 ta ndsu

Post by Snake Vigilante » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:29 pm

wrong a'gin black angus cowz. da yearz wuz 1995 bonehead.

Spartanfan1

Post by Spartanfan1 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:24 am

Great article there, islesskater. Too bad he didn't win the State Championship for his father, that would have been great.

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 am

AngusYoung wrote:Duluth East 5
Bloom. Jeffererson 0

Any Questions?

8)
That was a beauty, one of the greatest days of my life, thanks for the memories Angus

PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:12 am

Very good article.

gatzke

Post by gatzke » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:52 am

i don't think the bursville win would go down in history as the biggest upset. Yeah, they beat the #1 ranked team in the state. Yeah, they had a dismal FIRST HALF of the year, but Since mid January they have been 16-1. This team deserves to be at the State tournement as much as any other.

BP_Hockey

upset

Post by BP_Hockey » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:57 am

One of the biggest HS upsets ever was in 2000 when the the Paul Martin led Elk River Elks, and there perfect record, lost to Osseo in the section 4AA semis. Elk River was up 4-0 like 10 minutes into the game or something like that, and ened up blowing the game in double-OT for their only loss of the season. Elk River had been rated #1 in the state the entire year that year. Too bad for Osseo they then lost in the section finals to Blaine, who ended up winning it all that year.

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:51 pm

Two biggest upsets from a Northerners point of view were when Edina beat Roseau and the Broten line in the semis and Duluth East in championship 1-0 in the late 90's.

Fixxer

Post by Fixxer » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:56 pm

Albert Lea over Warroad on Wed night...hahahaha :P :lol:

td577

Post by td577 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:00 pm

greenway1969 wrote:Two biggest upsets from a Northerners point of view were when Edina beat Roseau and the Broten line in the semis and Duluth East in championship 1-0 in the late 90's.
Looking back, I don't think the Edina over Roseau game was that much of an upset. Roseau had little depth. Their goalie didn't need to play the entire season and was never tested. Edina was the first team all year to still be in the game 2 minutes into it. It went to show that you could have the best line in the history of MN high school hockey, but you need to be a little deeper than 1 line and defensemen need to be disciplined.

While I don't think it was that great of an upset, I do feel it was an extremely disappointing loss.

hm88

Post by hm88 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:17 pm

Two biggest upsets from a Northerners point of view were when Edina beat Roseau and the Broten line in the semis and Duluth East in championship 1-0 in the late 90's.

when did edina beat roseau in the semis in the late 90s...edina beat hill 5-4 in 3ot and then the next game beat duluth east to win it all in 1997. Are you talking about a different year for the Edina over Roseau upset?

greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:23 pm

I meant Edina beat Duluth East in the finals 1-0. Edina's victory in the semis was over Roseau. I think if you look at the shots on goal in the Roseau/Edina game you'll consider it an upset. This "depth" argument is way over blown. When you have one superior line you only need two average lines. The metro teams will play their number one line just as much as any Northern team which is not considered to have much depth. If you listen to the broadcasts this week, it won't matter which team is playing, if it is a close game the number one lines will get plent of ice time.

hm88

Post by hm88 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:56 pm

greenway1969 edina never beat roseau in the late 90s, in 1997 edina beat hill-murray in the semis and went on to beat duluth east 1-0. In 1998 Roseau beat Edina in the quarters 4-3 in ot. What year was this Edina upset over Roseau and was it at state?

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:59 pm

He said Edina beat Roseau and the Broten line. That would make it the late 70's.

finance_gal

Post by finance_gal » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 pm

1979 St Paul Harding over the Phil Housley led South St Paul Packers in the sectional playoffs..The Last team from Harding to go the state tournament

hm88

Post by hm88 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:04 pm

ok i did not read that part i thought he meant both games were in the late 90s...my mistake

bighorn41

Post by bighorn41 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Moundsview beat an undefeated White Bear Lake team led by Brian Bonin in the section quarters in 1991? 92?. Moundsview was the 8 seed.

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:14 pm

bighorn41 wrote:Moundsview beat an undefeated White Bear Lake team led by Brian Bonin in the section quarters in 1991? 92?. Moundsview was the 8 seed.
White Bear wasn't undefeated and was the number 3 seed while Mounds View was the 6th seed in 1992. In '91, Hill beat White Bear in the finals and went on to win the last single class tournament.

Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:18 pm

Finance: Was that the year Chuck Weiss was in nets?

hm88

Post by hm88 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:18 pm

1996 a 22-1 hill-murray team was upset by a 9-16-1 white bear lake team in the section semis. Hill had beaten them 7-0 and 6-2 in two previous games. Obviously records and previous games are thrown away when these teams meet