Biggest Upsets Ever in MN High School Hockey

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

post 8418

Post by boblee »

quickgym guy wrote:
boblee wrote:December 7th, 2001

Grand Rapids 4, #1 Greenway 3 OT

Brian Wickstrom from Mark Columbus for the winner. The Greenway team featured Gino Guyer, Andy Sertich, and Corey Carlson. The three combined would tally 211 points in the regular season.
What ever happened to Corey Carlson? Didn't he transfer in from TH...
I have no idea what has happened to him, but yes, he was a Two Harbors transfer.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Edina over Rapids state tourny game 1 1981.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

BIAFP wrote:
Nostalgic Nerd wrote:I think when International Falls beat GR in section finals. GR at the time was at or near #1 ranked in 1989. IF really blew wind at state.

Most 7-0 wins are not upsets :roll:
Well that was one of them!
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Hockeyguy_27 wrote:Columbia Heights shut out Edina 2-0 in the early 80's and their goalie had something like 60 shots. This was quite the upset.
1983 with Reggie Miracle in the nets.
Undercover Hockey Lover

Re: upsets

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

oldram wrote:January, 1981.  Roseau Memorial. Roseau 7 Edina East 6 in OT. Edina led 6-0 after 2 periods. Roseau scores 6 in the third to tie. Game Over.
Before the third period didn't Coach Ikola in a radio interview say something about never counting Roseau out; especially at home and I believe a guy by the name of Keith Beito had the game winner? :shock: Game gave the Rams the top spot in the rankings until they were beaten by Edina West 3 - 2 with a whiffed slow roller in the waning seconds about a week later. #-o
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: post 8418

Post by east hockey »

boblee wrote:
quickgym guy wrote:
boblee wrote:December 7th, 2001

Grand Rapids 4, #1 Greenway 3 OT

Brian Wickstrom from Mark Columbus for the winner. The Greenway team featured Gino Guyer, Andy Sertich, and Corey Carlson. The three combined would tally 211 points in the regular season.
What ever happened to Corey Carlson? Didn't he transfer in from TH...
I have no idea what has happened to him, but yes, he was a Two Harbors transfer.
Corey is now an assistant captain in his junior year at Vermont University.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
O-townClown

Thanks for the correction

Post by O-townClown »

wbmd wrote: Columbia Heights did beat Edina in the 1983 state quarterfinals behind the goaltending of Reggie Miracle and the play of sophomore defenseman D.J. Haller. This was also the second year of the Edina schools being combined again. Edina West played in the tournament in 1981 - their last season as a school.
Okay, you're right. My memory is blurring. DJ Haller, Miracle, ant the Pederson brothers. Billy was a freshman and I believe his older brother was a senior.

So who did Edina West lose to in 1981? They were also a top-ranked team. I'm getting the years mixed up. That game was another big upset. In 1982 the Hornets won state with the first merged school. 6-0 over Mariner in the final.
DumpandChase1

Post by DumpandChase1 »

Edina West lost to S. St. Paul in 1981. SSP scored with about 7 seconds left in the game to go up 2-1. West came right back off the face off to score the would be tying goal, only to have it called offsides in one of the worst calls in state tourny history.
O-townClown

THAT'S right

Post by O-townClown »

D&C, thanks for helping me out. I'm not sure of my years, but it is possible that Packers team had both Phil and Larry Housley.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Reggie wrote:Edina over Rapids state tourny game 1 1981.
Bloomington Jefferson beat GR in game 1 of 1981 tourny.
bghockey

Post by bghockey »

Both Housleys were on that Packer team. Larry had the chicken pox during the tournament as did Greg Van De Walker, the goalie. Great tournament field that year.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

DumpandChase, that was not a big upset if an upset at all. SSP had a very good team and the Wooger was coaching.

The offside call was correct and even if it wasnt , the goal was scored after everybody heard the whistle.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

Section 8 championship, 1989 Warroad over Roseau can't remember the score. Not only was it an upset, it was also the most BORING game in high school hockey history. Warroad iced the puck 64 times and had 5 shots on net. But it worked and warroad won. :oops:
Warroad went on to the State Tourney and got smoked in both games.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

packerboy wrote: SSP had a very good team

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center »

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Section 8 championship, 1989 Warroad over Roseau can't remember the score. Not only was it an upset, it was also the most BORING game in high school hockey history. Warroad iced the puck 64 times and had 5 shots on net. But it worked and warroad won. :oops:
That was a veeeeeery sad night in Rams history. :cry: I wish I could forget it... The '90 team helped us forget it, temporarily...but you can't help but wonder if the boys coulda brought some hardware home in '89...
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Reggie wrote:Edina over Rapids state tourny game 1 1981.
Bloomington Jefferson beat GR in game 1 of 1981 tourny.
Thanks 4 the help, still very big upset!
big_thurst

Post by big_thurst »

It'd be 2000, when Elk River, led by Paul Martin and rated #1 all year, quickley jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the section 4AA semi's, they then tanked and lost in double OT.
Creator of the Original Applause Button,

Big_Thurst
rayfinkel

Post by rayfinkel »

big_thurst wrote:It'd be 2000, when Elk River, led by Paul Martin and rated #1 all year, quickley jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the section 4AA semi's, they then tanked and lost in double OT.
I agree! that game was unreal and embarrassing for the Elks.
rams1989

Post by rams1989 »

5th Line Center wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Section 8 championship, 1989 Warroad over Roseau can't remember the score. Not only was it an upset, it was also the most BORING game in high school hockey history. Warroad iced the puck 64 times and had 5 shots on net. But it worked and warroad won. :oops:
That was a veeeeeery sad night in Rams history. :cry: I wish I could forget it... The '90 team helped us forget it, temporarily...but you can't help but wonder if the boys coulda brought some hardware home in '89...
I still have nightmares about that game. Thanks for bringing it up.......

By the way, The '90 championship was fun, but for those of us that were seniors in '89 certainly haven't forgotten.