HS ELITE LEAGUE

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyeast223

HS ELITE LEAGUE

Post by hockeyeast223 »

so what does everyone think of the rosters? what teams look good, which ones look bad?
wbmd

Re: HS ELITE LEAGUE

Post by wbmd »

hockeyeast223 wrote:so what does everyone think of the rosters? what teams look good, which ones look bad?
It would be nice to actually see the rosters before commenting on them.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Can't Never Tried wrote:http://hselitehockey.com/index.asp?Type ... C6665E2EBF}

There ya go!

8)
Thanks.
Can't Never Tried

Team Southwest, and Northwest look good...I'm sure they're all going to be good.... but on SW all them Hornets, with Leddy, Lee, Mattson, and Cashetta in goal :) looks tough to beat.....in fact I'll say now "I think that this SW team will be the team to beat in this years league"

8)
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

There are a few boys listed that are also on Junior rosters.. or supposedly going to play juniors. Interesting..
Can't Never Tried

Blue&Gold wrote:There are a few boys listed that are also on Junior rosters.. or supposedly going to play juniors. Interesting..
I thought that this league was designed to keep HS kids in HS programs?
Or is that just a sales pitch..so there are no restrictions to it as far as playing in Juniors and the HS Elite league? sounds conflicting if it's true.
:?

8)
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

No, the point I'm making is that the kid (Festler is an example) is rostered in Lincoln of the USHL, but he may be having second thoughts and will stay to play high school. OR he'll bail on the Elite League and go there. He can't do both. (Games are on weekends..) It looks like some of the kids are covering their bets instead of making a decision.

That being said, if a kid was going to do some games before high school and after in the juniors, they could play in the Elite League up to late September or so.

Just an observation though..
Can't Never Tried

Gotcha!

Thanks
8)
gomnhky

Post by gomnhky »

I was wondering the same thing as their appears to be some players rostered on both USHL 25-man rosters and the Elite roster - only time will tell I guess which way some of these kids will go. I think the Elite League is a GREAT opportunity for players and has served its purpose VERY well since its inception. It does seem this year, for whatever the reason and I don't think it's necessarily any reflection on the league itself or how it is run, but more the individual player's motivations this year, but more than the normal amount of players seem to be opting to play USHL (either year round or before/after) this season. It seems in recent years, you have only had a couple that have done either option and it has not affected the league, but with the number of the players presumably leaving, it will be interesting to see what type of affect it has on the level of play. Hopefully it just gives another talented player the option to participate that may not have had one before.

I think all of the rosters look solid and with the exception of maybe the Southwest team (yikes - good thing some of those players play football - might help level the playing field) - they are balanced and have lots of talent on each team.
breakout

Post by breakout »

gomnhky wrote:I was wondering the same thing as their appears to be some players rostered on both USHL 25-man rosters and the Elite roster - only time will tell I guess which way some of these kids will go. I think the Elite League is a GREAT opportunity for players and has served its purpose VERY well since its inception. It does seem this year, for whatever the reason and I don't think it's necessarily any reflection on the league itself or how it is run, but more the individual player's motivations this year, but more than the normal amount of players seem to be opting to play USHL (either year round or before/after) this season. It seems in recent years, you have only had a couple that have done either option and it has not affected the league, but with the number of the players presumably leaving, it will be interesting to see what type of affect it has on the level of play. Hopefully it just gives another talented player the option to participate that may not have had one before.

I think all of the rosters look solid and with the exception of maybe the Southwest team (yikes - good thing some of those players play football - might help level the playing field) - they are balanced and have lots of talent on each team.
Well stated observations of the Elite Leage. Mr. Russo and all involved with the Elite League should be commended. The league is a great service and development program.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I just have one question for this league. How can it be that not one grand rapids player makes this team? It is pretty bad when players from greenway and duluth denfield can make it into thise league above some of the gr talent.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Steve wrote:I just have one question for this league. How can it be that not one grand rapids player makes this team? It is pretty bad when players from greenway and duluth denfield can make it into thise league above some of the gr talent.
:roll: :roll:
Can't Never Tried

Wow.... I was looking at how some of the HS teams are represented in #'s
Edina 7 players
H-M 6 players
Holy Angels 4 players(spread out on diff. teams),
Rosemount, Cent., Anoka, Roseau, Little Falls, Grand Forks Red River, all with 4 players
And many teams with 3 players.

Just thought it was interesting, might be fun to see how this pans out thru the season and if there's any correlation to how their respective teams do.
We'll have to check back to this later and see.

8)
hockeyguy99

Post by hockeyguy99 »

Centenial put a kid into the league that had all of 5 points last year. Some coaches have more juice than others!
35Hawksfan

Post by 35Hawksfan »

Blue&Gold wrote:
Steve wrote:I just have one question for this league. How can it be that not one grand rapids player makes this team? It is pretty bad when players from greenway and duluth denfield can make it into thise league above some of the gr talent.
Not all kids want to play Elite HS league. If you play another sport like soccer or football it interferes. Many are invited but not all go tryout.
forecheck

Post by forecheck »

35Hawksfan wrote:
Blue&Gold wrote:
Not all kids want to play Elite HS league. If you play another sport like soccer or football it interferes. Many are invited but not all go tryout.
Key work above is talent...not too much on the rapids team
as compared to the past...rendle and roy are not outstanding players
without steskal and white, it must have been obvious to the people
picking the teams, so don't bash denfeld kids, they have alot more talent
next year then rapids does
gmoola89

Post by gmoola89 »

Centenial put a kid into the league that had all of 5 points last year. Some coaches have more juice than others!
I think I know which kid you are talking about. But do points mean everything? No, he works hard..very hard. every shift and plays physical and is exceptionally fast. Scouts and coaches at the higher levels see beyond the points..

And by the way. That "pointless" kid didnt have to tryout..so whoever saw him obviously looked beyond the points.
breakout

Post by breakout »

gmoola89 wrote:
I think I know which kid you are talking about. But do points mean everything? No, he works hard..very hard. every shift and plays physical and is exceptionally fast. Scouts and coaches at the higher levels see beyond the points..

And by the way. That "pointless" kid didnt have to tryout..so whoever saw him obviously looked beyond the points.
Maybe a power forward, role player kind of kid? If he has the skills you are referring to..............I like players like that.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

breakout wrote: Maybe a power forward, role player kind of kid? If he has the skills you are referring to..............I like players like that.

If Aus has "juice", somebody please tell him!
hockeyguy99

Post by hockeyguy99 »

Points don't mean everything, but I thought the HS Elite League was for the best high school players in Minnesota. You have players like Zach Frischmon from Blaine who had 10+ goals last year and didn't get a green light into Elite 1.
breakout

Post by breakout »

hockeyguy99 wrote:Points don't mean everything, but I thought the HS Elite League was for the best high school players in Minnesota. You have players like Zach Frischmon from Blaine who had 10+ goals last year and didn't get a green light into Elite 1.

Maybe he is not one of the best high school players.

There are lots of kids that scored 10 goals last year that didn't make the Elite 1 League. You have to ask questions like; did his coach recommend him? How did he play when scouts were in the stands? Did he participate in Advance camps? If so, how did he do there?

If a player is going to play at higher levels he/she needs to consistently perform. Especially when those that count are watching.

Keep working Zach
hockey59

Elite League

Post by hockey59 »

gmoola89 wrote:

The player in question participated in the Dziedzic/McAlpine Hockey Camp and evidently impressed Chris enough with his speed and work ethic to earn an invite to Team Northeast. For kids who want to play in the Elite League next year (or prepare for Junior try-outs) its a good camp to attend.
Puckhead00

Post by Puckhead00 »

I believe the Elite League's mission has become diluted. I do not want to give anyone the sense that Russo and company did not have a good plan, because they did and the poster who said they are to be commended is correct. But it has not been able to keep kids in high school hockey as much as we all had hoped. Today's rosters reflecting common names at USHL and the Elite League are much more prevalent than they were at the inception of this program. Does that mean the Elite League is failing? No. It just means their mission statement may need to be tweaked since it really isn't keeping as many kids playing in high school the way it was intended.

I am not sure what a good plan is to try to keep these kids so they can experience their high school hockey days. The Elite League was a good attempt, but not enough. Not sure anything will be enough due to intense competition hockey places upon its athletes to go to the next level. That is the piece in the puzzle that has grown to bother me more and more.
forecheck

Post by forecheck »

Puckhead00 wrote:I believe the Elite League's mission has become diluted. I do not want to give anyone the sense that Russo and company did not have a good plan, because they did and the poster who said they are to be commended is correct. But it has not been able to keep kids in high school hockey as much as we all had hoped. Today's rosters reflecting common names at USHL and the Elite League are much more prevalent than they were at the inception of this program. Does that mean the Elite League is failing? No. It just means their mission statement may need to be tweaked since it really isn't keeping as many kids playing in high school the way it was intended.

I am not sure what a good plan is to try to keep these kids so they can experience their high school hockey days. The Elite League was a good attempt, but not enough. Not sure anything will be enough due to intense competition hockey places upon its athletes to go to the next level. That is the piece in the puzzle that has grown to bother me more and more.
puckhea, you are absolutely correct in your assessment. THe elite league is doing everything it can to keep kids in school, but the pressure for kids to leave is so intense. This is starting with the NHL, taking kids one year out of college, and the pressure continues down. How many kids are not even completing 4 years any more? The USHL puts alot of pressure on kids to commit. It is a business for them, I'm not even sure they really care what's best for the kid, just for the team.