1A/1AA sections

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

1A/1AA sections

Post by goldy313 »

1A and 1AA are both adminstered by Region 1AA and managed by Red Wing's AD (Red Wing has run the 1AA hockey tournament for many years even though Red Wing wasn't in 1AA) For the 2008 playoffs the semi-finals and finals will all take place at the Rec Center in Rochester.

On Saturday the 23rd both 1A and 1AA will play their semifinals, in years past they played an A game followed by an AA game in the afternoon, cleared the building and did the same thing in the evening. 12 & 2 for the potential #1 vs. #4 game and 6 & 8 for the potential #2 vs. #3 game.

On Thursday the 28th 1AA will play their secion final and on Friday the 29th 1A will play their final.
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

With the new section alignment, wouldn't Owatonna's Four Season's Centre be a PERFECT venue for the semi-finals & finals??? It is centrally located and the capacity is perfect for games of these nature. Since the Southern MN Express have taken up residency there, the city has made some nice upgrades to the entire facility.

Rochester Rec Center really doesn't offer a good atmoshpere or location.

Am I the only one that sees it this way??
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
HockeyRocks1

1A/1AA

Post by HockeyRocks1 »

It's a toss up. The REC is not a great place but they are making improvement. Owatonna really needs to update the 1930 bleachers.
Super Sick

Post by Super Sick »

The Rochester Rec Center Holds a lot more people then Owatonna though
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

The Rochester Rec Center Holds a lot more people then Owatonna though
Precisely. If it doesn't fill up, it doesn't provide a good atmosphere for high school hockey. Having played in both arenas (each at capacity or better as well as nearly empty), I can say without hesitation that the Rec Center loses dramatically.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
Super Sick

Post by Super Sick »

Yes if it doesnt fill up your right, but its sections more fans will come to watch
gabT

Post by gabT »

I would like to see both A and AA play at the same venue. I think that GAC has been good for class A and provides a great atmosphere to play in as it fills to capacity. The only problem may be the size of the AA schools where it would be hard to get all of the fans in GAC. It still could present the best atmosphere of any arena.
The one knock I have on Owatonna is that the lighting is not the greatest which could also kill the atmosphere that typically comes with Section semis and finals.
davey

Post by davey »

gabT wrote:I would like to see both A and AA play at the same venue. I think that GAC has been good for class A and provides a great atmosphere to play in as it fills to capacity. The only problem may be the size of the AA schools where it would be hard to get all of the fans in GAC. It still could present the best atmosphere of any arena.
The one knock I have on Owatonna is that the lighting is not the greatest which could also kill the atmosphere that typically comes with Section semis and finals.
I think Owatonna would be great for both. Much improved in the last couple of years, centrally located and a good size
Super Sick

Post by Super Sick »

Owatonna wouldnt be able to hold all the fans in that arena so it wouldnt be that nice.
pioneerhockey12

Post by pioneerhockey12 »

i think they should have a 1 on 1 tourny to see who will be nick johnsons d partner this year.... he needs someone who can keep up with him or he wont be as effective!!
SouthrenHockey44

Post by SouthrenHockey44 »

I think the Rec is the best spot for the Sections. It filled up last years simi when CHS played Mayo (cross town) but the reason it doesnt fill up at Finals is it has been CHS Lakville for the past 7 years?? not sure exsactly but besides that one year when it was JM Century and that was the most packed game i have seen at the Rec. Also since i have played at all the rinks mentioned. Owatonna's rink isn't a great place to play as a player. Lighting is bad, lockerooms are crowded...and it seems too "Barn like" All i know is when i walk into the Rec and hear the bands, I think there is no better atmospher other than the X

As far as location...3 teams in the tournment live in Rochester. That can be beaten for location
Jbone

Post by Jbone »

There are also three teams that are North (Farmington and Lakevilles). The Rec center is not centrally located and it is a hassle to go down to.
tpshockey30

Post by tpshockey30 »

I have played and watched MANY hockey games in both arenas, and I hate the Rec Center! Theres only one way to get onto the ice from the locker rooms... not to mention actually getting to the locker rooms. And the seats are hard as hell, dingy and dark.

Unlike the 4 seasons arena, its WAY more accesible, better ice, better stands, BRIGHTER, just cooler haha, o and the sweet SMN express train dealy, thats tight! I would rather have sections in O-town.
tpshockey30

Post by tpshockey30 »

But hey, the Rec Centers better than that PLEASE BAN ME hole that Mayo plays at!!! :P
SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut »

There are issues with Graham, but Graham West has by far the best ice - hard and fast. The Rec Center ice is slow and soft.

With that said, the Rec Center is a much better atmosphere than Four Seasons and it has tradition.

How come they don't have the section final at Mariucci like they used to?
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Because when they used to have it at Mariucci years ago, there were still teams like Apple Valley, Burnsville etc., and even before that, Jefferson, that were in Section 1.

I've never been in either building for a tournament game, but have been for regular season high school games and bantam and pee wee games, and I do like Owatonna's rink better than the Rec Center.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

When people come to Rochester to watch or play hockey this season they will not recognize Graham Arena. A fourth rink was added and its all tied into one central lobby area. All of the buildings were remodeled with new ceilings and lighting. The Rec got new lighting too. The new rink has some huge lockerrooms (think of 6 times the size of Northfield or Prior Lake). The seating and viewing is very nice but would not hold enough bodies for a section championship game.
Last edited by Rocket78 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pioneerhockey12

d

Post by pioneerhockey12 »

there really is nothing like the atmosphere of a section championship game at the rec center
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

Rec Center was pretty unreal for the JM-Century game a few years ago.
HOUNDS
tpshockey30

Post by tpshockey30 »

Still think that O- town wouldve made a much better arena to have sections in though, but hey, im not in charge, i just play. 8) why dont we just play on some random lake ( sarcasim of course ) Ya i dont care, actually where itl be, itl be fun none the less
SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut »

Because when they used to have it at Mariucci years ago, there were still teams like Apple Valley, Burnsville etc., and even before that, Jefferson, that were in Section 1.

That is not true....the last 1AA section final at Mariucci was in 1999....the score was Mayo 5 JM 4 in 2OTs.