HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Twin City Skate Sharpener
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Older Topics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Twin City Skate Sharpener
Boyer Blades
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Dave's Sport Shop
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Hockey Zone
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Letterman's
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Hockey Giant
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Westwood Sports
34%
 34%  [ 17 ]
Steichens
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Sporting Goods Inc
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
sports Hut
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Play it again sports
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 50

HOFam'r

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Best Twin City Skate Sharpener Reply with quote

Ok who's the best?
Neutron 14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strauss Laughing
skatehardordie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: skate sharpener Reply with quote

Hockey World USA, EP
Govs93

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutron 14 wrote:
Strauss Laughing

AGREED! Add 'em to the list.
finance_gal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strauss...skates are perfect everytime, I never hear "I lost an edge" when they are sharpened there. Less gripes make Mom a happy camper Very Happy
nickel slots

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Golf & Hockey Etc in Lakeville in an emergency, and they not only got us in and out in a hurry, but the sharpening job was flawless.
Charliedog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott at Strauss is the best!
Stars67

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daves nad letterman of the north metro area consistintly have problems Hat Trick Hockey in Anoka and Richfeild have been among the best skate sharpeners for years and will remain that way with many current and former pro players among the top of their customer list. They are always having to fix problems cause by daves, lettermans and the worst of all Tahoe Sports!! Stay away from those 3 places if you are in the north metro!!
Govs93

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a little tiny place in Plymouth on 55 - I think it's called Score Sports or something... looks like an old 1 bedroom house that's crammed full of gear, and you have to go down to the dank basement where all of their sticks are (they can't fit them on the main floor) to get skates sharpened. It's just an old, unfinished concrete basement.

I went there one time a couple of years back, and I think they did an ok job - seemed to last for a while.

It's a really interesting place.
breakout

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those listed, I would have to say Westwood. Consistency is key in my mind. Westwood has always provided consistently good skate sharpening throughout the years.
breakout

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey Giant provides free skate sharpening to those that purchase their skates from them. Get what you pay for? Thus far, the poll seems to agree.
Govs93

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breakout wrote:
Hockey Giant provides free skate sharpening to those that purchase their skates from them. Get what you pay for? Thus far, the poll seems to agree.

It's just down the road from where I work so I had them do it once... some pimply faced dork took about 15 seconds on each skate and managed to grind my left blade into something that felt like a 45 degree angle... I had no inside edge.

I skated 2 practices and took them back Strauss.
breakout

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Govs93 wrote:
breakout wrote:

It's just down the road from where I work so I had them do it once... some pimply faced dork took about 15 seconds on each skate and managed to grind my left blade into something that felt like a 45 degree angle... I had no inside edge.

I skated 2 practices and took them back Strauss.

Can't say I am stunned by your experience.

In my opinion, quality and consistently good skate sharpening brings people in the door. Once they're in the door other items can and will be sold.

If I was in the business of catering to hockey types, I would lead with the best possible skate sharpening.
boblee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: post 8159 Reply with quote

Interesting thread...I kind of enjoy the responses.
Pucknutz69

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal in St Paul Park. He used to sharpen for the North Stars. Old guy loves doing it and loves talking with the kids. Kind of like the old guy in Mighty Ducks.
Mario58

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Hat Trick is Best Reply with quote

I believe Hat Trick in Anoka has to be the best!
hockeytimetonight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports World USA, someone above me called it Hockey world USA, Ep, its the same thing and it would be great if it was included. 2 votes Sports World USA
Can't Never Tried

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good topic.....
Knowing a bit about this subject I'll share some insight.
1st it's not so much where you get your skates done it's who's behind the machine and their knowledge of the principles.
The first consideration is the rocker of the blade..this is is determined by the size and style of skater, a smaller light weight agile skater should have a smaller rocker say 11' rocker where as a heavier 6' + tall skater should be closer to the 12'- 13' mark rocker...this is all determined by radial push from the hips to keep maximum contact with the ice thru the stride.

Next is the blade radius this also has a bit to do with size but again more to do with position they play...a smaller size fwd. player that makes a lot of aggressive moves can utilize a deeper radius say as small as 1/4" to 3/8" but will give up speed for the agility.
A defensive player that's more concerned with being able to adjust quickly will also use a smaller radius as speed is not as important as making the quick adjustments to the on coming fwd's.
A bigger fwd. player that needs flat out speed will go as high as 3/4"-1" radius.... they give up the hard cuts for the breakaway speed.
The centering of the radius is probably the most important factor, there should be no more then .002" difference between the the high points on either side of the blade...very few places I've seen actually have a gage to measure this.
After all the above is completed the last factor is the honing of the edges this should be done both before and after the skate is sharpened...the before removes any side nicks in the blade and allows for a very easy job of removing the sharpening burrs after sharpening.
If the place you get your skates done does all this you have found the sweet heart of skate sharpening... best of luck..but get what your paying for....

Cool
Neutron 14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't Never Tried wrote:
1st it's not so much where you get your skates done it's who's behind the machine and their knowledge of the principles.
The first consideration is the rocker of the blade..this is is determined by the size and style of skater, a smaller light weight agile skater should have a smaller rocker say 11' rocker where as a heavier 6' + tall skater should be closer to the 12'- 13' mark rocker...this is all determined by radial push from the hips to keep maximum contact with the ice thru the stride.

Next is the blade radius this also has a bit to do with size but again more to do with position they play...a smaller size fwd. player that makes a lot of aggressive moves can utilize a deeper radius say as small as 1/4" to 3/8" but will give up speed for the agility.
A defensive player that's more concerned with being able to adjust quickly will also use a smaller radius as speed is not as important as making the quick adjustments to the on coming fwd's.
A bigger fwd. player that needs flat out speed will go as high as 3/4"-1" radius.... they give up the hard cuts for the breakaway speed.
The centering of the radius is probably the most important factor, there should be no more then .002" difference between the the high points on either side of the blade...very few places I've seen actually have a gage to measure this.
After all the above is completed the last factor is the honing of the edges this should be done both before and after the skate is sharpened...the before removes any side nicks in the blade and allows for a very easy job of removing the sharpening burrs after sharpening.
If the place you get your skates done does all this you have found the sweet heart of skate sharpening... best of luck..but get what your paying for....

Cool

Laughing
Can't Never Tried

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutron 14 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:

Cool

Laughing

Oh Wise guy huh ??

Cool
HOFam'r

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutron 14 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:

Cool

Laughing

what about boyer blades??? He seems to know what is going on?
SEC Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunningham Sports does a good job.
tomASS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm throwing in Gold Medal of Chanhassen -
Govs93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEC Scotty wrote:
Cunningham Sports does a good job.

I bought my skates there a few years back and they sharpened them before I left... but they hurt my feet and my back so damn bad the first couple of times I skated on them, I didn't really pay attention to the sharpening job. So, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they did a great job!
hockeykid1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my skates sharpened at almost all these places and they are all very bad at sharpening skates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> Minnesota High School Hockey (Older Topics) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: