Best Twin City Skate Sharpener

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Boyer Blades
12%
Dave's Sport Shop
16%
Hockey Zone
14%
Letterman's
2%
Hockey Giant
8%
Westwood Sports
33%
Steichens
2%
Sporting Goods Inc
4%
sports Hut
4%
Play it again sports
6%

Total votes: 51

HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:18 pm

Ok who's the best?

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:19 pm

Strauss :lol:

skatehardordie

skate sharpener

Post by skatehardordie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Hockey World USA, EP

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:23 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:Strauss :lol:
AGREED! Add 'em to the list.

finance_gal

Post by finance_gal » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Strauss...skates are perfect everytime, I never hear "I lost an edge" when they are sharpened there. Less gripes make Mom a happy camper :D

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:19 pm

I went to Golf & Hockey Etc in Lakeville in an emergency, and they not only got us in and out in a hurry, but the sharpening job was flawless.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.

Charliedog

Post by Charliedog » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Scott at Strauss is the best!

Stars67

Post by Stars67 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:20 pm

Daves nad letterman of the north metro area consistintly have problems Hat Trick Hockey in Anoka and Richfeild have been among the best skate sharpeners for years and will remain that way with many current and former pro players among the top of their customer list. They are always having to fix problems cause by daves, lettermans and the worst of all Tahoe Sports!! Stay away from those 3 places if you are in the north metro!!

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:26 pm

There's a little tiny place in Plymouth on 55 - I think it's called Score Sports or something... looks like an old 1 bedroom house that's crammed full of gear, and you have to go down to the dank basement where all of their sticks are (they can't fit them on the main floor) to get skates sharpened. It's just an old, unfinished concrete basement.

I went there one time a couple of years back, and I think they did an ok job - seemed to last for a while.

It's a really interesting place.

breakout

Post by breakout » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:09 pm

Of those listed, I would have to say Westwood. Consistency is key in my mind. Westwood has always provided consistently good skate sharpening throughout the years.

breakout

Post by breakout » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:11 pm

Hockey Giant provides free skate sharpening to those that purchase their skates from them. Get what you pay for? Thus far, the poll seems to agree.

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:20 pm

breakout wrote:Hockey Giant provides free skate sharpening to those that purchase their skates from them. Get what you pay for? Thus far, the poll seems to agree.
It's just down the road from where I work so I had them do it once... some pimply faced dork took about 15 seconds on each skate and managed to grind my left blade into something that felt like a 45 degree angle... I had no inside edge.

I skated 2 practices and took them back Strauss.

breakout

Post by breakout » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:21 pm

Govs93 wrote:
breakout wrote:Hockey Giant provides free skate sharpening to those that purchase their skates from them. Get what you pay for? Thus far, the poll seems to agree.
It's just down the road from where I work so I had them do it once... some pimply faced dork took about 15 seconds on each skate and managed to grind my left blade into something that felt like a 45 degree angle... I had no inside edge.

I skated 2 practices and took them back Strauss.
Can't say I am stunned by your experience.

In my opinion, quality and consistently good skate sharpening brings people in the door. Once they're in the door other items can and will be sold.

If I was in the business of catering to hockey types, I would lead with the best possible skate sharpening.

boblee

post 8159

Post by boblee » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:39 pm

Interesting thread...I kind of enjoy the responses.

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:23 pm

Sal in St Paul Park. He used to sharpen for the North Stars. Old guy loves doing it and loves talking with the kids. Kind of like the old guy in Mighty Ducks.

Mario58

Hat Trick is Best

Post by Mario58 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:17 pm

I believe Hat Trick in Anoka has to be the best!

hockeytimetonight

Post by hockeytimetonight » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:48 pm

Sports World USA, someone above me called it Hockey world USA, Ep, its the same thing and it would be great if it was included. 2 votes Sports World USA

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:59 pm

This is a good topic.....
Knowing a bit about this subject I'll share some insight.
1st it's not so much where you get your skates done it's who's behind the machine and their knowledge of the principles.
The first consideration is the rocker of the blade..this is is determined by the size and style of skater, a smaller light weight agile skater should have a smaller rocker say 11' rocker where as a heavier 6' + tall skater should be closer to the 12'- 13' mark rocker...this is all determined by radial push from the hips to keep maximum contact with the ice thru the stride.

Next is the blade radius this also has a bit to do with size but again more to do with position they play...a smaller size fwd. player that makes a lot of aggressive moves can utilize a deeper radius say as small as 1/4" to 3/8" but will give up speed for the agility.
A defensive player that's more concerned with being able to adjust quickly will also use a smaller radius as speed is not as important as making the quick adjustments to the on coming fwd's.
A bigger fwd. player that needs flat out speed will go as high as 3/4"-1" radius.... they give up the hard cuts for the breakaway speed.
The centering of the radius is probably the most important factor, there should be no more then .002" difference between the the high points on either side of the blade...very few places I've seen actually have a gage to measure this.
After all the above is completed the last factor is the honing of the edges this should be done both before and after the skate is sharpened...the before removes any side nicks in the blade and allows for a very easy job of removing the sharpening burrs after sharpening.
If the place you get your skates done does all this you have found the sweet heart of skate sharpening... best of luck..but get what your paying for....

8)

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:06 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:This is a good topic.....
1st it's not so much where you get your skates done it's who's behind the machine and their knowledge of the principles.
The first consideration is the rocker of the blade..this is is determined by the size and style of skater, a smaller light weight agile skater should have a smaller rocker say 11' rocker where as a heavier 6' + tall skater should be closer to the 12'- 13' mark rocker...this is all determined by radial push from the hips to keep maximum contact with the ice thru the stride.

Next is the blade radius this also has a bit to do with size but again more to do with position they play...a smaller size fwd. player that makes a lot of aggressive moves can utilize a deeper radius say as small as 1/4" to 3/8" but will give up speed for the agility.
A defensive player that's more concerned with being able to adjust quickly will also use a smaller radius as speed is not as important as making the quick adjustments to the on coming fwd's.
A bigger fwd. player that needs flat out speed will go as high as 3/4"-1" radius.... they give up the hard cuts for the breakaway speed.
The centering of the radius is probably the most important factor, there should be no more then .002" difference between the the high points on either side of the blade...very few places I've seen actually have a gage to measure this.
After all the above is completed the last factor is the honing of the edges this should be done both before and after the skate is sharpened...the before removes any side nicks in the blade and allows for a very easy job of removing the sharpening burrs after sharpening.
If the place you get your skates done does all this you have found the sweet heart of skate sharpening... best of luck..but get what your paying for....

8)

:lol:

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:16 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:

8)

Oh Wise guy huh ??

8)

HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:56 am

Neutron 14 wrote:

8)

what about boyer blades??? He seems to know what is going on?

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:47 am

Cunningham Sports does a good job.

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:22 am

I'm throwing in Gold Medal of Chanhassen -

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:31 am

SEC Scotty wrote:Cunningham Sports does a good job.
I bought my skates there a few years back and they sharpened them before I left... but they hurt my feet and my back so damn bad the first couple of times I skated on them, I didn't really pay attention to the sharpening job. So, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they did a great job!

hockeykid1

Post by hockeykid1 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 pm

I've had my skates sharpened at almost all these places and they are all very bad at sharpening skates