USHL VS High School

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HOFam'r

USHL VS High School

Post by HOFam'r »

If you had the chance to leave home and play in the USHL while still in High School would you do it? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both scenario's?
shooter812

Post by shooter812 »

Why would you ask this? USHL is the top junior A league and only Tier 1 in the U.S. I dont need to waste time but explaining the advantages of it. A disadvantage would be playing time if you just sit on the bench and fill a jersey your wasting your time and a year to develop.
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

shooter812 wrote:Why would you ask this? USHL is the top junior A league and only Tier 1 in the U.S. I dont need to waste time but explaining the advantages of it. A disadvantage would be playing time if you just sit on the bench and fill a jersey your wasting your time and a year to develop.

well, to some there is more to life than hockey...my point is that if you don't play in the USHL would you be hurting your hockey career?
RFFalcon22

Post by RFFalcon22 »

The main thing some people don't realize is that playing Juniors, whether it's USHL, NAHL, or any other level, isn't a guaranteed path to Division I or even college hockey at any level. I played at every level of Junior Hockey and played with some great players, but for every great player who went on to play Division I hockey there were 4-5 that fizzled out and didn't go anywhere. What really determines how far a kid will go is his personality and work ethic. The higher up you go in hockey the smaller the skill disparity is between players so the only difference is who wants it more and who's willing to work to get there. There is no set path a kid needs to take as long as he's skilled and willing to outwork everyone else at each level.
Dazed&Confused

Thank You RFFalcon

Post by Dazed&Confused »

Thanks for your response. I agree with your comments. I believe that talent and or skill can take you only so far. Hard work and determination will be the attributes that achieve your goals. As stated in previous posts there really isnt a golden path to division 1 or the pros. Highscool and the USHL are completely different levels and should not be compared. Each level will not dictate where your personal level of skill is at. The individual determines there level.
Blue&Gold

Re: Thank You RFFalcon

Post by Blue&Gold »

Dazed&Confused wrote:Thanks for your response. I agree with your comments. I believe that talent and or skill can take you only so far. Hard work and determination will be the attributes that achieve your goals. As stated in previous posts there really isnt a golden path to division 1 or the pros. Highscool and the USHL are completely different levels and should not be compared. Each level will not dictate where your personal level of skill is at. The individual determines there level.
Well stated.
Hockeyguy_27

Re: Thank You RFFalcon

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

It depends on the individual player. Some have greatly benefited from playing in the USHL their senior years while others have wasted a chance to develop at the HS level and seen little playing time in Juniors.
BSM99

Wasted Time?

Post by BSM99 »

The downside of leaving early is just that. You are leaving early. To pretend that there is no cost in that decision is just to see the hockey end and nothing else. If you're a junior coach or fan that's all you care about.

From a hockey standpoint no player should even think about leaving his high school team unless the Junior team is promising top line status. Playing 2/3 of a game at a top high school is far better then being a part timer on a junior team.

And there are too many stories out there of how the move HAS NOT worked out.

In addition, you may in fact be wasting a year in the USHL by going early. If you've been in that league three years AND you left high school a year early, then you played in that league one year too many.

No sense in arguing about a young man who may have already played 3 years of high school hockey and he feels that he needs to be challenged for a number of reasons.

Regardless - it is not a no brainer decision at all.
oldguy

Post by oldguy »

Why would a player leave his "home" high school early to play more games with more travel, which would surely impact his ability to get strong grades? Don't grades play any role in the college recruitment process?
wild77

Post by wild77 »

oldguy wrote:Why would a player leave his "home" high school early to play more games with more travel, which would surely impact his ability to get strong grades? Don't grades play any role in the college recruitment process?
For some college recruiters it's the first question they ask. Others only want to know if you can stay elgible. Remember, all potential D1 athletes must go through the NCAA Clearinghouse and get approval to play D1 sports. The Clearinghouse will look at an athlete's high school and post secondary transcripts and determine if the athlete meets it's minimum grade and course standards. Not enough potential college athletes learn this until it is too late.
For the majority of players education should be an area of emphasis. Not many will make a living from playing hockey and high school and college diplomas are a must. The smart kids and parents know that good grades early in high school will lead to advanced classes which lead to college credits while still in high school. If you go to college on a full scholarship the college credits won't save you any money, but they can take away some freshman stress by allowing you to take less credits (probably a class or two).
gmoola89

Post by gmoola89 »

I have heard some about the Elite League, but have never seen it played. How close is that to the USHL(my guess would be not too close) but it is better than most HS games right?
gh12345

Post by gh12345 »

The Elite league is better than most hockey games. It's a league that showcases the best players, for the most part, in the state of Minnesota by getting them on the same sheet of ice at the same time. It's a fast paced game, but not as fast as the USHL.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

gh12345 wrote:The Elite league is better than most hockey games. It's a league that showcases the best players, for the most part, in the state of Minnesota by getting them on the same sheet of ice at the same time. It's a fast paced game, but not as fast as the USHL.
I would put the Elite League right between Tier II (NAHL) and Tier III (Formerly Junior B). The NAHL is a great program, and even though it's below the USHL, it's not that far off. There are players in the Elite League that are USHL and NAHL calibre, but it's about 4 or 5 per team.
oldram

USHL

Post by oldram »

I agree with poster who said, "There's more to life than hockey." I think kids who leave early miss out on too many other things, football, cross country, etc. College coaches are looking at other things hockey players do, like other sports.

It also depends on the program you play in. Kids from Edina, Roseau, Warroad and the teams who play them, get all the exposure they need. If you are any good at all, they know who you are and where you're from.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Last year's Mr Hockey, who is also a Madison recruit, and NHL first round draft choice didnt need to go to Jrs. He will do all right even though he stayed in lowly MN high school hockey

If you are good enough............. well, that's whats its all about. The rest is BS.
number56

Re: USHL

Post by number56 »

oldram wrote:I agree with poster who said, "There's more to life than hockey." I think kids who leave early miss out on too many other things, football, cross country, etc. College coaches are looking at other things hockey players do, like other sports.
You're missing the point that the kids who leave early for the USHL already have DI committments. Some kid who is unknown is not gonna leave HS early for the USHL in the hopes that a DI school will notice him.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I wonder if the trend to have even top high school players spend a year in Jrs will end.

It seems that players that spend a year in JRs just end up going to the NHL that much earlier.

So, the college coach has a more mature "freshman" but doesnt have him as long.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

Anyone who is good enough for the USHL while in high school is more then likely to play USHL unless for personal reasons choose not to. But everyone knows it's the stepping stone to college hockey
Lopresti

Post by Lopresti »

Just about everyone on the Gophers has played at least a year in juniors, to get bigger and better before D1 college. The leading scorer on the Gophers last season? The smallest guy on the team and someone who went from High School to College....Jay Bariball (yes, he did play USHL for about a month after Holy Angels was eliminated) Since so many college kids are leaving early for the NHL, I'd like to see more college coaches (Lucia) have their recruits play their senior year of high school and then develop more playing college hockey. Every player is different, but did Blake Wheeler improve his game more by playing USHL than he would have had he played and dominated his senior year in HS (and probably win another championship)? Not to mention enjoying one of the best years of your life, senior year of high school.
oldram

USHL

Post by oldram »

I agree with Lopresti. Kids should go to college and stay there. I've seen more and more kids leave college early in the last few years for the NHL. Some were very good college players. But where are they? Most of them don't last very long and end up in the minors for their career.

Look back 25-30 years and the kids who left early made it. Neal Broten, Aaron Broten, Dave Christian, James Patrick. They all had long careers.

Sure, Zach Parise, Drew Stafford, Vanek are going to do well, but more leave early and fade.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

But oldram, these kids arent in college for college. They are there for hockey.College hockey is just a stepping stone for a lot of them

With the demanding schedule they have, they dont have time for college.

The season starts in October and doesnt end until March.

So, why not go give professional hockey a try and if they don't make it, go back and really go to college.
oldram

USHL vs. High School

Post by oldram »

I agree with you that they are using it for a stepping stone. I just think they should stay there longer and get bigger and stronger.

Some of these kids think they should play one year of college and go pro. They aren't ready to leave after a year or two. They should finish their development. The pros will wait for them.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I think they leave because they have no interest in the college part of college hockey. In the NHL or the IHL or wherever they end up, they dont have to go to class.

They would rather get bigger and grow stronger in the IHL (or other minor league) than the WCHA.

If hockey is all that interests a kid, let em go. Why pretend to be a student athlete?
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Wouldn’t your birthday have something to do with your decision? How old are you?
How many years do you have if you do/don’t go to the USHL?
Start high school early or did mom hold you back a year to be the older kid in class? Image
Did you FLUNK a year? Image
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

Stealth wrote:Wouldn’t your birthday have something to do with your decision? How old are you?
How many years do you have if you do/don’t go to the USHL?
Start high school early or did mom hold you back a year to be the older kid in class? Image
Did you FLUNK a year? Image
I must have flunked because I dont understand your statement. Please rephrase so us flunkies can understand....