USHL VS High School

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Wow, has this thread gone downhill.....

Coach Lucia is no different from most other D1 coaches. He just is in a bit higher profile situation than most of them. Did his statement offend some folks? Yep, me included. But it's done and we move on. Does he say things in interviews that may not be true? Yep... like most. Do I like the guy.. sure... As I've met several coaches at this level, they're all pretty cool, and just guys like the rest of us but with more hockey knowledge than just about anybody.

Blog likes his favorite team's coach, and that's OK. In his mind, the Gophs can do no wrong, but that's true of everyone on this forum when it comes to their favorite coach/team.

Wanna talk about the USHL, let me know...
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Blue&Gold wrote:In his mind, the Gophs can do no wrong
With all due respect, you don't know me well enough to judge. If you did, you'd know how inaccurate such a comment is. I have been critical of them after a loss (or even a sloppy win). I may not go off the deep end with it but the team (coaches included) have had their times where criticism was well deserved. Much like any other team/coach.

It is probably no different than when your son or his team has had a bad game.... you feel that loyalty to them but it certainly doesn't prevent you from pointing out mistakes.

Now, if you want to talk USHL, I will join you. :lol:
stickboy1956

Post by stickboy1956 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
stickboy1956 wrote:Riiiiiiiiiight, Riiiiiiiiight!!!
And you have what proof to the contrary? Because you are a Sioux fan and it is your opinion? Yeah, we can surely rely on the validity of that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Relax!!! Just having some fun.

You'll have to admit the irony of a coach that will blast the NHL (Calgary) for convincing a player to leave the Gophers and talk about how everyone is in a rush to "play up" - while in his own house, this "advise" is ignored.

Just having some fun - Don is a great coach, but not infallible.

He's not the Pope - the Pope wouldn't have lost to Holy Cross
:lol: :lol:
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Blue&Gold wrote:Wow, has this thread gone downhill.....

Did his statement offend some folks? Yep, me included. But it's done and we move on.

What? Done and move on?

You cant be serious.

What fun is that?

I say we beat it into the ground every chance we get. :lol:
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

packerboy wrote:

Did his statement offend some folks? Yep, me included. But it's done and we move on.

What? Done and move on?

You cant be serious.

What fun is that?

That's the spirit PB :D

8)
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

packerboy wrote:

What? Done and move on?

You cant be serious.

What fun is that?

Heck, that wouldn't be the first topic that has happened to. :lol:

Heh, maybe a bunch of sticky topics are in order. This could be one of 'em; "Don Lucia..Savior or Satan?". I like the look of that.

And then just substitute other words or phrases for Don Lucia; Open Enrollment. Private Schools. And so on.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

east hockey wrote:
packerboy wrote:

What? Done and move on?

You cant be serious.

What fun is that?

Heck, that wouldn't be the first topic that has happened to. :lol:

Heh, maybe a bunch of sticky topics are in order. This could be one of 'em; "Don Lucia..Savior or Satan?". I like the look of that.

And then just substitute other words or phrases for Don Lucia; Open Enrollment. Private Schools. And so on.

Lee
Don't we already do that across the street ? :D

Sure here we go again...we'll just get into it.. and then in comes the warden with the lock down :lol: :lol:

8)
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Gopher Blog wrote:
Blue&Gold wrote:In his mind, the Gophs can do no wrong
With all due respect, you don't know me well enough to judge. If you did, you'd know how inaccurate such a comment is. I have been critical of them after a loss (or even a sloppy win). I may not go off the deep end with it but the team (coaches included) have had their times where criticism was well deserved. Much like any other team/coach.

It is probably no different than when your son or his team has had a bad game.... you feel that loyalty to them but it certainly doesn't prevent you from pointing out mistakes.

Now, if you want to talk USHL, I will join you. :lol:
Didn't mean it quite like that.. Perhaps I should have said that you were more knowledgable about your team, and more apt to defend it? I didn't mean to say that you were this big rah rah guy. Oh well, if I were able to write what I really wanted to say, I'd do it for a living..

Now that we've lost sight of the thread entirely.. ;-)
ironranger9

Post by ironranger9 »

jeez, i was all excited to read about the USHL vs HS ....
not sure what to think.

one relevant question though: has anyone thought about the fact that as coach, Lucia has free tuition for his children to the U? i wonder if Tony
had a scholarship, or counted as a walk-on? interesting...that would probably mean that it wouldn't really matter if tony had a full or part ride somewhere else since he could always fall back on the U...assuming he would make the team of course.
Observer85

Post by Observer85 »

ironranger9 wrote:jeez, i was all excited to read about the USHL vs HS ....
not sure what to think.

one relevant question though: has anyone thought about the fact that as coach, Lucia has free tuition for his children to the U? i wonder if Tony
had a scholarship, or counted as a walk-on? interesting...that would probably mean that it wouldn't really matter if tony had a full or part ride somewhere else since he could always fall back on the U...assuming he would make the team of course
Have no idea how it works for the Lucia kid regarding the scholarship money. But he did have other options, good ones and he chose to stay and play for his father and the Gophers. From what I saw last year, he fit right in and did earned his playing time with productive play.