Hockey Day in Minnesota

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyfan4

Hockey Day in Minnesota

Post by hockeyfan4 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:04 pm

I hear that for the hockey day in minnesota, roseau will be playing blaine on the baudette bay. I heard that LOW will be playing also but not sure against who. any word on this?

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:09 pm

sweet matchup

gomnhky

Post by gomnhky » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:28 pm

Are you referring to the Feb. 9 Hockey Day in Minnesota? If so, I had heard that one of the games would be STA vs HM and not sure about the other game. They will also be televising a Wild and Gopher game (vs Denver I believe). Blaine plays Roseau on Nov. 30 and Roseau plays EGF on Feb. 9, so unless there have been changes made to the schedule, which is highly possible, I am not sure that is correct. It would be a good matchup though if it is true.

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:48 pm

i thought LOW always played Johnson and that they would be doing that game for the Hockey Days.

I think HM vs STA would be a better game but they might go with tradition
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:38 pm

sachishi4 wrote:i thought LOW always played Johnson and that they would be doing that game for the Hockey Days.

I think HM vs STA would be a better game but they might go with tradition
Last year was the first Hockey Day in Minnesota. I don't think there's a "tradition" yet.

I'm all for Blaine/Roseau outside instead of Johnson/LOW, but playing that game at LOW seems odd to me. Don't get me wrong, they sure appeared to do a great job of it last year, but would anybody in LOW or Baudette care about that game? To put that much effort, time, and money into an event that doesn't even include their team just doesn't equate to me.

If they're not going to play it in Roseau, it might be better suited down here somewhere - maybe on one of the smaller bays of Minnetonka, Calhoun (to coincide with the US Pond Hockey Chamionships), or Phalen (to coincide with the Wild Pond Hockey Championship). Even though it's still not "home" ice for either team, it would probably be less of a financial burden, and we city folk would eat up the novelty of something like that... it would draw.

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:27 am

but dont LOW and Johnson play every year? Thats what i meant by tradition.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:16 pm

sachishi4 wrote:but dont LOW and Johnson play every year? Thats what i meant by tradition.
I guess I should know, but I don't. I know that we didn't play them when I played back in the early 90's, so if it is an annual thing, it's still relatively new. You might be thinking of Johnson/Roseau - until last season that had been a long running series.

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:45 pm

It's a double header in Baudette. LOW and Roseau hosting. The TV nod goes to the AA schools. Rumor is LOW and Johnson was FSN's most watched game last year, but the allure of two state tourney teams from last year won out.

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:14 pm

I guess the planners of this fine event consult ideas that germinate on this board, add a third game and they've got it right.

Game #1: LOW/Johnson should lead it off every year, they did it first, they are the tradition.
Game #2: Pick it
Game #3: Pick it

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:13 pm

How about the A champ vs the AA champ from the previous year?
Might not be a bad way to do it.
Would certainly attract some viewers.
What does everyone think?

highschoolhockeyfan

Post by highschoolhockeyfan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:36 pm

who ever plays im pumped

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:51 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:How about the A champ vs the AA champ from the previous year?
Not a bad idea but the schedules have all been formulated already. Meaning that if it did happen they would have to consider it a scrimmage.
The U invented swagger.

Green and White Fan

Rams vs. Blaine

Post by Green and White Fan » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:39 pm

The Rams will play Blaine on February 9th on the the Baudette Bay. Both teams have changed their schedules to make it happen. Unfortunately, it looks like the morning game between LOW and Eveleth will be the live TV game, with the Rams vs. Blaine game streamed live on the internet and cut to during intermissions of the Wild game. THe game will be shown later that evening in its entirety. I wish the Rams had the live TV game, but it is being played on LOW's pond, so I suppose they get to pick.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:07 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:How about the A champ vs the AA champ from the previous year?
Not a bad idea but the schedules have all been formulated already. Meaning that if it did happen they would have to consider it a scrimmage.
Thanks, Goldy.
Maybe they could do it next year.

Hockey=Life

Post by Hockey=Life » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:12 pm

Roseau and Blaine is going to be one of the elite games in the state. They have both made state the past two seasons and would be a better game to watch live. They should switch the decision and make it better for the fans.

MNRinkRat

Post by MNRinkRat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:15 pm

I thought the game that was played outside last year was kinda lame. I did not like how it looked on camera and I really could care less about LOW and Johnson playing against each other. Needless to say I turned the t.v. off. I'm not trying to be lame but I think most people would rather see a game between some better teams. But then again I've have been shocked at how good some of the games have been on FSN. I would have to say that I liked seeing Buffalo beat East, anyone else agree?
Let's Play Hockey

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:45 pm

MNRinkRat wrote:I thought the game that was played outside last year was kinda lame. I did not like how it looked on camera and I really could care less about LOW and Johnson playing against each other. Needless to say I turned the t.v. off. I'm not trying to be lame but I think most people would rather see a game between some better teams. But then again I've have been shocked at how good some of the games have been on FSN. I would have to say that I liked seeing Buffalo beat East, anyone else agree?
Somebody didn't get it.

The game wasn't played to be aesthetically pleasing on tv. I think most of us know why it was played, so I won't rehash what's already been stated here several times by people all over the state.

But again - I'm obviously from Johnson, and if they don't want the Govs back in it next year, that's fine with me - personally I think it's a great event (the outdoor game) that should be passed around so that other schools and communities can experience it even though I was obviously thrilled to see Johnson play it (although I was incredibly stupid and didn't make the trip).

To me, I'd like to see some of the schools that have had a long tradition of great hockey play in it - whether they've tailed off or not... schools like LOW, Johnson, Eveleth, Roseau, Warroad, Edina, GR, International Falls, SSP, WBL, Jefferson... you get the idea. Pair up a couple of those old time schools, throw them on a lake somewhere in some throwback jerseys... you can't beat that.

wishock

Post by wishock » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:48 pm

I agree. How about the truly old time schools. Teams that were great in the very early years of high school hockey in Minnesota. Eveleth, Roseau, Johnson, South St. Paul, International Falls, TRF, etc. Too bad Williams couldn't field a team.

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:50 am

I would guess that at some point down the road, Johnson will maybe try something like that again on the new refrigerated ice they're putting in down at Phalen. I'm not sure of the layout or the space available for spectators, but maybe a scrimmage or something as a "grand opening celebration".

Of course on refrigerated ice it would be tainted, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:13 pm

Govs93 wrote:
MNRinkRat wrote:I thought the game that was played outside last year was kinda lame. I did not like how it looked on camera and I really could care less about LOW and Johnson playing against each other. Needless to say I turned the t.v. off. I'm not trying to be lame but I think most people would rather see a game between some better teams. But then again I've have been shocked at how good some of the games have been on FSN. I would have to say that I liked seeing Buffalo beat East, anyone else agree?
Somebody didn't get it.

The game wasn't played to be aesthetically pleasing on tv. I think most of us know why it was played, so I won't rehash what's already been stated here several times by people all over the state.

Very well said Govs I couldn't agree with you more!!! =D> =D>

But again - I'm obviously from Johnson, and if they don't want the Govs back in it next year, that's fine with me - personally I think it's a great event (the outdoor game) that should be passed around so that other schools and communities can experience it even though I was obviously thrilled to see Johnson play it (although I was incredibly stupid and didn't make the trip).

To me, I'd like to see some of the schools that have had a long tradition of great hockey play in it - whether they've tailed off or not... schools like LOW, Johnson, Eveleth, Roseau, Warroad, Edina, GR, International Falls, SSP, WBL, Jefferson... you get the idea. Pair up a couple of those old time schools, throw them on a lake somewhere in some throwback jerseys... you can't beat that.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Govs93 wrote:To me, I'd like to see some of the schools that have had a long tradition of great hockey play in it - whether they've tailed off or not... schools like LOW, Johnson, Eveleth, Roseau, Warroad, Edina, GR, International Falls, SSP, WBL, Jefferson... you get the idea. Pair up a couple of those old time schools, throw them on a lake somewhere in some throwback jerseys... you can't beat that.
I agree with you. I definitely like the idea of celebrating hockey in the state by including some programs that have long traditions. Personally, I would love to see a couple of Iron Range teams facing each other on an outdoor rink (or at least have an Iron Range team involved in one of the games).

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:43 am

HM vs STA at the xcel center is official

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:49 pm

I saw that in the paper today. I wonder if they will allow people to just go to that game or if they will need to buy a ticket for the Wild also?

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:00 pm

pioneers wrote:I saw that in the paper today. I wonder if they will allow people to just go to that game or if they will need to buy a ticket for the Wild also?
I was wondering that too. I would have think that it'll have to be one of two things:

#1 - Ticket holders to the Wild game get entrance to the STA/HM game, or
#2 - They do it "split double header" style where they play the high school game, clear the arena, then open the gate for the Wild game.

The Wild play at 5:00 that day, so I would guess that it'll end up being #1... I just don't think they'll be able to sell tickets on top of the Wild game and still be able to get everybody at the HS game out of the building before that.

sid_the_kid

Post by sid_the_kid » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Govs93 wrote:
Somebody didn't get it.

i couldn't have said it better myself 8)