St. Thomas this year and beyond

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

keepyourheadup

St. Thomas this year and beyond

Post by keepyourheadup »

Seems like a very large number of players are making the jump to STA as freshman this year..6 from lakeville alone. Don't they have a large group of players returning along with a JV that went undefeated? I think just by the numbers there are going to be some dissapointed players. Time will tell but sometimes the grass really isn't greener. Mr. Vanelli runs a great program and I certainly understand the desire to be a part of it but only so many kids to play.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Depends. Does financial aid dry up if they get cut?
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
Walter Sojack

Post by Walter Sojack »

Time will tell but sometimes the grass really isn't greener.
What does that mean?

What is the question in this thread?
I'm finishing my coffee
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Here is the question...are there too many players and not enough jerseys and if so what happens to those stuck on the outside looking in?
MNRinkRat

Post by MNRinkRat »

Um, they either play J.V. or most wont play at all.
Let's Play Hockey
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

keepyourheadup wrote:Here is the question...are there too many players and not enough jerseys and if so what happens to those stuck on the outside looking in?
Come on, those 6 from Lakeville alone are going for the education and not hockey. Education is the reason they all go to private schools. :wink:

If they don't make JV, they probably play Jr. Gold somewhere or quit all together.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

RLStars wrote: If they don't make JV, they probably play Jr. Gold somewhere or quit all together.
Just think how well they'd be welcomed back to thier association. :lol: :lol:
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

They should be alright next season. I'm still bugged that they haven't opted to AA yet. If they don't move up by 2010.... eh
topshelf10

RL Stars....

Post by topshelf10 »

I think it is a legit reason to go to STA for education. It is one of the best schools in the state education-wise. It is a great environment for young men being a catholic, all-male, military, and college-prep institution.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

The education angle is generally a bunch of crap, if that were the case why wouldn't these kids be enrolled prior to ninth grade. It really just provides an answer to the inevitable question of why? Easier to say this than to tell your friends and teammates that I'm leaving to play hockey.
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

keepyourheadup wrote:The education angle is generally a bunch of crap, if that were the case why wouldn't these kids be enrolled prior to ninth grade. It really just provides an answer to the inevitable question of why? Easier to say this than to tell your friends and teammates that I'm leaving to play hockey.
Dude, my reply was sarcasm, hence the "wink" emoticon. :)
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

RLStars wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:The education angle is generally a bunch of crap, if that were the case why wouldn't these kids be enrolled prior to ninth grade. It really just provides an answer to the inevitable question of why? Easier to say this than to tell your friends and teammates that I'm leaving to play hockey.
Dude, my reply was sarcasm, hence the "wink" emoticon. :)
I would have gone with the eye roll :roll: , but if you need a decent wink use these...
Image Image Image

At least his sentiment was in the right place! :lol:
DingleDangle17

Post by DingleDangle17 »

What happend to Faulk?

Playing for SSP this year?
gopher1

Post by gopher1 »

Yeh, Faulk went back to SSP
DingleDangle17

Post by DingleDangle17 »

What happend?
mnhockey9009

Post by mnhockey9009 »

Justin's Dad lost his job so they couldn't afford the tuition so he had to transfer back. They sent in the appeal to the mshsl so he doesn't have to sit out the year of sports.
If you look good, you play good.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Will this be Walter's last year at STA?
gomnhky

Post by gomnhky »

Ryan Walters got the game winning goal for Des Moines (USHL) last night - anybody know his status for this year or is he doing a before/after. He is currently listed on Des Moines protected list/25 man roster. I would assume that he is no longer playing in the Elite League or can you do both?
breakout

Post by breakout »

gomnhky wrote:Ryan Walters got the game winning goal for Des Moines (USHL) last night - anybody know his status for this year or is he doing a before/after. He is currently listed on Des Moines protected list/25 man roster. I would assume that he is no longer playing in the Elite League or can you do both?

I would doubt you could do both, unless Mr. Walters has a jet helicopter.

Is he going to school in Des Moines this year?
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

I had heard Walters is playing in Des Moines for the entire season and will not be playing with the St. Thomas program. Losing Lee and Walters is going to hurt but don't feel too bad for the Vannelli boys, they will still be competitive.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Hockeyguy_27 wrote:I had heard Walters is playing in Des Moines for the entire season and will not be playing with the St. Thomas program. Losing Lee and Walters is going to hurt but don't feel too bad for the Vannelli boys, they will still be competitive.
If so, that's an interesting route for a 10th grader...........three years in JRs?

I am sure the Walter's family put a lot of thought into it. I hear Ryan is a quality kid.
warrior2132

Post by warrior2132 »

ryan is just doing a before and after so he will be playing for st thomas this year and he is no longer playing in the eliete league unless there is a weekend or so that des moine does not play
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Boy, we just cant fool some of you geniuses can we?

People are making their high school choices based, at least in part, on athletics and its been exposed for the first time on the minnhock board.

What a revelation.

Of course, when Lakevile was one school and STA was down, the kids were staying in Lakeville because the athletics were better.........but the geniuses were OK with that.

Now that the situation has changed, oh the horror of it all. Comical.
stickboy1956

Post by stickboy1956 »

Man up STA - play AA.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Amen stickboy.

Which brings up an interesting point.

Why would all of these Lakeville kids leave to go to STA just to play hockey in the Suburban conference and Class A?

Well, I am sure Neut, RLStars , and the boys will know the answer to that.