St. Thomas this year and beyond

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

breakout

Post by breakout » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:
mrslasher wrote:Centennial is not a town :oops:
Geez Mrs. Lasher, thanks!

:lol:

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:36 pm

Not a town? Well, then ..ah wait a minute...how can there be a high school by that name.

Not a town... as if.

What a jolly joker.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:18 pm

mrslasher wrote:Mrs Lasher or Mr Slasher, I guess I'll have to live that down...
With the sharks that troll these waters? Good Luck! Do yourself a favor. Fix it. Your only 50 posts in.

ocanadaourhome

Post by ocanadaourhome » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:47 pm

flatontheice wrote:
thestickler07 wrote:Ya seriously, 700 or so graduating seniors at LV versus the 120 or so at STA. And also the PSAT isn't exactly "taught" or acquired knowledge as much as natural ability.

Ok..Slapper..you are right: Ryan Walters, Schroeder, Anders Lee all clearly went to STA for the education.
In Lee's case, yes the education and being a Catholic school was a very big part of his leaving. His last year playing in Edina, they had just won the PeeWee state championship. The parents made the call to send him to STA in eighth grade, not him. Coming back to Edina this year was his decision.

http://www.kare11.com/sports/prep/prep_ ... yid=264825

breakout

Post by breakout » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:25 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:
mrslasher wrote:Mrs Lasher or Mr Slasher, I guess I'll have to live that down...
With the sharks that troll these waters? Good Luck! Do yourself a favor. Fix it. Your only 50 posts in.

HeShe could have multiple identities like some on the board

Could be Mrs Lasher this Mr Slasher that :lol:

Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:36 pm

Rocket78 wrote:I was curious to see how many National Merit Scholar Semifinalists (for 2008) came from Lakeville and how many came from St Thomas Academy. I looked it up and the answer is: Lakeville South - 1, St Thomas Academy - 2 and Lakeville North - 2. Minnehaha Academy had 6 (but their hockey team isn't as good :wink: ). NINE students from Minneapolis SW...Do they still have hockey there? EDINA had 19!

It looks like the education provided at Lakeville public schools is worth the tuition savings of going to St Thomas?
I don't think you can accurately quantify or even qualify a school's academic standards like this. People choose schools for a variety of reasons and while there are some crazy hockey parents out there I still have a hard time believing people would send a child to school strictly on the basis of their hockey program. If it were all about hockey the player would opt for Juniors.

I stand corrected on Walters, I thought he was going to pull a Joe Pancratz! :lol: Good thing for STA.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:03 pm

Hockeyguy, you bring up a good point...I doubt its ever "just hockey" but if everything else is basically a wash often times hockey will tip the scale so to speak. Mon and Dad fork over maybe 20-30%, finanacial aid covers the rest and they get the education and a quality hockey program to boot. Not all kids fall in this group but the decision looks a little easier than you might think. I end up where I started...too many players and not enough jerseys = unhappy parents......some who aren't recieving financial help. Stay tuned it could be a wild ride.

dangles07

Post by dangles07 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:04 pm

Everyone is forgetting to mention that the goal of STA isn't to teach you all the right answers on the standardized tests, but it is to prepare you for life after high school and make you a better person. Not to sound arrogant, but I would argue that four years aside the hallowed four pillars of STA would better prepare those players previously mentioned from Lakeville for life after school and hockey than would Lakeville South or North.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:22 pm

dangles07 wrote:Everyone is forgetting to mention that the goal of STA isn't to teach you all the right answers on the standardized tests, but it is to prepare you for life after high school and make you a better person. Not to sound arrogant, but I would argue that four years aside the hallowed four pillars of STA would better prepare those players previously mentioned from Lakeville for life after school and hockey than would Lakeville South or North.
So, your a hallowed Lakeville grad?

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:27 pm

Again this begs the question, why not enroll in 7th grade if the quality of public education is so lacking that a parent feels his or her child will be left at a competitive dissadvantage. The home is where a child learns to be a good person..not school, its not their job nor should it be. I'm willing to bet that while a private education can indeed be helpful, students at or near the top of public institutions will fare just fine. Its OK for anyone to make the move to private school for any reason, but please don't turn it back on those of us who choose to stay put as if we are somehow cheating our children out of their future. Would this same theory also apply to college? Some of the finest graduate programs in the world are located at public universities. I can appreciate your pride and defense of STA but if you really wanted that quality education why not Blake, Minnehaha Academy or Shattuck? I'm guessing the academic reputation of these schools is even better.

hockeypux99

Post by hockeypux99 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:40 pm

I've read this forum for a long time for amusement but the STA debate has me feeling like I have to reply. I went to public school and attend the U part time. My parents didn't make a lot of money so it was always a sacrifice for us so I could play hockey. They can't afford to help me with college so I have held a variety of jobs and only have enough time to go to school part time. One of my recent jobs was working at the Super America on Mendota Heights and Hiway 55. Those wonderful upstanding STA students are disruptive, disrespectful and shoplift like you wouldn't believe. I would catch them and have the police called. Their fine upstanding parents would bail them out of trouble and then they would return and vandalize my car. Don't let the uniforms fool you. The majority of these kids have never had the rules of society apply to them so I suppose that moving their kids from their neighborhood school to a private school is another step in teaching them how to control the world around them rather than living within the established rules. Christian Values!?! Moral Codes?!? Yeah, right.

The students from the Cordon Bleu cooking school also come in looking pretty scruffy but those people are the customers that paid for their merchandise and acted respectful.

Slapper Al

Post by Slapper Al » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:06 am

There is bad eggs everywhere and those kids you mention are the same kids thatt would get into trouble no matter where they go. Their parents are sending them to the all boys, military school to straighten them up instead of parenting them. I know exactly which kids you are talking about b/c they are in every class and I am sorry you had to deal with their BS. And you are right about the parents bailing them out. They will always bail them out. I graduated from there over 10 years ago and I know guys whose parents are still bailing them out. It is an issue with money and no responsibility.

As for the hockey getting you in, any extra cirricular helps and the financial aid is all divied up the same. If you qualify you get it. There is a good portion of the school that receives some element of financial aid. Believe me the hockey coaches don't have any more pull than any other staff member at the academy.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:15 am

Just wanted to chime in on the fact that everyone is always bringing up financial aid. At least they pay part of the tuition. Gee how much tuition is paid by public school parents????

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:39 am

keepyourheadup and Slapper Al and the rest who say that it isnt the school, its the home are right.

I think that without good parenting, a good school isnt going to do much good. Schools dont raise children, parents and families do.

But a good school environment can help reinforce good parenting.
That's what the motivtion is for the vast majority of parents who send their kids to private schools.

Are there parents who cant say no to their kids and basically"dump"them into a non public shool for some discipline? Sure. But its a small %.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:42 am

hockeypux99 wrote:The students from the Cordon Bleu cooking school also come in looking pretty scruffy but those people are the customers that paid for their merchandise and acted respectful.
But do they have a hockey team? :D

8)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:25 am

I know alot of private school alumni.
STA are the only ones I have met and felt as if they missed something along the way.
MANNERS, courtesy, respectfulness, and the inability to put their fists where their big, mean mouths were (although they tried).
:evil:

But HM guys, CDH, Marshall, CCathedral, pleasant, gentle, good people.
:D

Mrs. Lasher :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:34 am

elliott70 wrote:I know alot of private school alumni.
STA are the only ones I have met and felt as if they missed something along the way.
MANNERS, courtesy, respectfulness, and the inability to put their fists where their big, mean mouths were (although they tried).
:evil:

But HM guys, CDH, Marshall, CCathedral, pleasant, gentle, good people.
:D

Mrs. Lasher :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quo

Yes we are

mrslasher

Post by mrslasher » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:53 am

You guys get 40 'Lashes' with a wet noodle! :lol: :lol: :lol:

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:00 pm

How much tuition do parents pay at public schools...preety much all of it, its called TAXES! I have no qualms with STA or any one who chooses to enroll their child there. I feel confident in the school district I reside and am lucky to have a choice between public and private education. In many parts of this country parents are left with little or no choice but to send their children to private schools, you need look no further than the dismal performance of the Minneapolis public school system to demonstrate that. We should consider ourselves fortunate to have the choices we do.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:05 pm

Well people who send their kids to private schools pay the same taxes. I know they do get some tax credits but they kind of get the double whammy. I pay those taxes too and don't have any kids. It is good that there are choices in this country. What a great country huh?

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:07 pm

mrslasher wrote:You guys get 40 'Lashes' with a wet noodle! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whip us mrslasher We can take it :lol:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:57 pm

How hard can a woman whip??!!?? :lol:

Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:07 pm

elliott70 wrote:

How hard can a woman whip??!!?? :lol:
I'll give you a number to a good Dominatrix that will teach you. :-# :wink:

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:00 pm

Your right pioneers, its sort of an optional tax some of us choose not to pay.

breakout

Post by breakout » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:04 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
hockeypux99 wrote:The students from the Cordon Bleu cooking school also come in looking pretty scruffy but those people are the customers that paid for their merchandise and acted respectful.
But do they have a hockey team? :D

8)

I can't believe you would ask that. They have had one of the top high school programs for over 30 years. If you don't know, the city of Cordon Bleu is located somewhere between the cities of Centennial and Eastview :lol: