Elite II Rosters

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

breakout

Post by breakout » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:23 pm

flatontheice wrote:
Pucknutz69 wrote:You have to look at who was INVITED OR REFFERED before you starting complaining about who isn't there. Some coaches don't promote thier players for this league. This year most of the Hill kids decided to play on the Blades U16 team instead of Elite 2. That is why the roster is set with White Bear and Totino kids. You also have to look at who was invited but declined due to football or other commitments.

The hockey I saw this past weekend was good except for the penalties. The ref was loving his whistle blowing.
Why did the Hill kids do that? Who do they play? Sounds like it must be parent driven.
It is parent driven. It started last year with one of the Hill parents. I am guessing the same path was followed.

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:09 pm

I heard they went to Chicago a week ago, no word on how they did. I think they played the Mission , Chill and The Fury.

Most of them are mad they aren't playing Elite 1 or mad they weren't invited to tryout, yet they all feel they are to good to play in the Elite 2. They look at it like it is playing on a B team.

notaclue

Elite 2

Post by notaclue » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:32 pm

Most of the Blades players probably are good enough to play in the Elite league, it boils down to a numbers game. Too many good players and not enough spots. I would also agree they would be out of place on Elite 2, I saw one Elite 2 try out and was not at all impressed with the talent. This past weekend I watched an Elite game at SLP, the talent, pace and overall play was incredible. Playing Elite 2 is like playing on a "B" team, no comparison.

gopher1

Post by gopher1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:18 pm

The Blades are good enough to play Elite I and Elite 2. Sure its a numbers game and may they should play if they were invited. Were they invited? Sounds to me that it might be some pride getting in the way.

GR3343

Re: Elite 2

Post by GR3343 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:55 pm

notaclue wrote:Most of the Blades players probably are good enough to play in the Elite league, it boils down to a numbers game. Too many good players and not enough spots. I would also agree they would be out of place on Elite 2, I saw one Elite 2 try out and was not at all impressed with the talent. This past weekend I watched an Elite game at SLP, the talent, pace and overall play was incredible. Playing Elite 2 is like playing on a "B" team, no comparison.
Curious, are you a player, or just stating an opinion. A lot of people would have to disagree with your "B" team theory. The Elite II program was originally designed as a developmental league for underclassmen and a handful of seniors not quite there for the Upper Midwest League. It has proven to be a competitive league as well as a means of preperation for the upcoming high school season. It was not put in place to compete with the Upper Midwest Elites. By declining tryout invitations because of thinking they're too good for Elite II's, or thinking the league is below them is eventually only hurting the players. The Elite II league has set goals to allow the younger players to get used to the faster pace of high school hockey and be prepared for what may be in store this winter.

I haven't paid much attention to the Upper Midwest rosters this year, but in years past, very, very few sophomores & juniors were chosen to play. It seems to have been a senior dominated league as it should be. Pat White played Elite II as a sophomore. Comparing the two leagues is really an apple and oranges type of thing.

I'm sure there will still be those who think that Elite II is second rate and should be frowned upon, but there are those out there who think it's a very good opportunity to develop, have fun, and prepare for the high schol season ahead.

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:21 pm

Most of them are mad they aren't playing Elite 1 or mad they weren't invited to tryout, yet they all feel they are to good to play in the Elite 2. They look at it like it is playing on a B team.
One more thing to consider: Cost.

Elite II: $575 for the hockey and 8 weekends in a row on the road (at least 3 of those being "hotel" weekends... depending on where you live) incurring hotel, meal and fuel costs really add up.

Blades: $400 for 3-4 tournaments, a handful of games and a dozen or so practices.

The Blades Midget Minor team is just another option for fall hockey. They all have their pros and cons.

I would guess that most of the players from the Elite II league will see some varsity action this year, so I wouldn't necessarily consider it "B" hockey.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.

davey

Post by davey » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:23 pm

GR3343 wrote:
notaclue wrote:Most of the Blades players probably are good enough to play in the Elite league, it boils down to a numbers game. Too many good players and not enough spots. I would also agree they would be out of place on Elite 2, I saw one Elite 2 try out and was not at all impressed with the talent. This past weekend I watched an Elite game at SLP, the talent, pace and overall play was incredible. Playing Elite 2 is like playing on a "B" team, no comparison.
Curious, are you a player, or just stating an opinion. A lot of people would have to disagree with your "B" team theory. The Elite II program was originally designed as a developmental league for underclassmen and a handful of seniors not quite there for the Upper Midwest League. It has proven to be a competitive league as well as a means of preperation for the upcoming high school season. It was not put in place to compete with the Upper Midwest Elites. By declining tryout invitations because of thinking they're too good for Elite II's, or thinking the league is below them is eventually only hurting the players. The Elite II league has set goals to allow the younger players to get used to the faster pace of high school hockey and be prepared for what may be in store this winter.

I haven't paid much attention to the Upper Midwest rosters this year, but in years past, very, very few sophomores & juniors were chosen to play. It seems to have been a senior dominated league as it should be. Pat White played Elite II as a sophomore. Comparing the two leagues is really an apple and oranges type of thing.

I'm sure there will still be those who think that Elite II is second rate and should be frowned upon, but there are those out there who think it's a very good opportunity to develop, have fun, and prepare for the high schol season ahead.
Here is my opinion. Elite 2 serves a purpose just like summer strength conditioning, fall hockey etc. It gives kids a chance to play against some pretty good competition if they want to. Now if the kids who chose to decline Elite 2 to play for the Blades because they think they are too good for Elite 2, then shame on them. If they did it for other reasons i.e money, time committment, etc so be it. Just because the Elite 2 does not have as much talent as Elite 1 does not mean it is 2nd rate. From what I have seen it is still some pretty good hockey with quite a few players who could play Elite 1 but were not chosen for some reason. Fact is it is still geared to the underclassmen which I think is great.

notaclue

Elite 2

Post by notaclue » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:13 pm

It's just my opinion as a parent, not a player. I don't mean any disrespect to any player or family who decides to play Elite 2. I'm sure people will disagree with me, but watch both leagues and tell me the difference isn't significant. By design they should be, one league has upper classmen and the other doesn't, shouldn't that on face value define a difference?

Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:22 pm

Elite to Elite II is like USHL to NAHL, or NAHL to Junior A Tier III, or D1 to DIII, or ....... you name it. There are a few in the lower level who "could" play at the upper level, and a few at the upper level who could be better if down a level, but for the most part there are differences in the level of play.

This is NOT fact, it is opinion. (Regardless of what was stated earlier, there is a BIG difference between fact and opinion.)

The hockey state

Post by The hockey state » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:20 pm

i agree with almost all of you. but i dont get how elite II is geared for underclassman i mean look at the rosters all i see is juniors all around i would say 85% of the league are juniors. i think this league is alot better then some give credit. there are only a handfull of sophmores playing this year.

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:38 pm

I like the league, I think it fills a void for the next level or the late bloomers. It is doing what it says for who it serves. It does not promise nor claim to be the same as Elite 1 and for that matter some of the names on the Elite rosters are kids who will be leaving early for Jrs, isn't that what they claim to prevent?

breakout

Post by breakout » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:15 pm

GR3343 wrote:

Nicely stated

gopher1

Post by gopher1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:16 pm

nickel slots wrote:
One more thing to consider: Cost.

Elite II: $575 for the hockey and 8 weekends in a row on the road (at least 3 of those being "hotel" weekends... depending on where you live) incurring hotel, meal and fuel costs really add up.

Blades: $400 for 3-4 tournaments, a handful of games and a dozen or so practices.

The Blades Midget Minor team is just another option for fall hockey. They all have their pros and cons.

I would guess that most of the players from the Elite II league will see some varsity action this year, so I wouldn't necessarily consider it "B" hockey.

Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:21 pm

An example is Alex Kangas who played on the Section 1 team as a senior
and is going to be a gopher goalie this season.

Others that played with us are james and joel gaulrapp, Reid Cashman, Jeff Jakaitis, Sean Murphy, Josh Hansen, Tom Pohl, Jake Pence
I know that the guys that just graduated from college Cashman, Jakaitis and Pence signed professional contracts. They are kids that are smart and have passion for the game

Charlie Thauwald from mayo is in the Elite League this year from our team and also Hakan Yumsaklar Lakeville South Goaltender. We have a very good group of juniors and I hope someone from the Elite League comes and watches us play in Blaine this season.

Also I think our kids get better as we practice twice a week and we have 25 guys and you have to earn your right to be in the lineup.

We have a very nice team this year. I think it may be our best. I don't know what guys are going to be added to my list of top performers but it grows and grows. I wish we could get a look for our seniors two or three years ago we beat the Dallas Jr. Stars and lost in a shoot out to the Los Angeles Jr Kings who were in the Nationals for AAA midgets.

This is a good league.

From last season's team Kevin Donohue and Adam Wiesner and Brian Frischmann are all playing Hockey this year and they were seniors that were not admitted into the Elite League. I am sure there are at least 3 or more seniors that are not playing somewhere that were in the Elite League. Our current group of seniors are very good players.
Erik Ordahl Rochester Century Defense
Nic Scudamore Rochester Lourdes Goalie
Grant Pavek Faribault Forward
Sean Stewart New Ulm Forward
Mitch Arens Rochester Century Forward
Zach Radtke Owatonna Forward.

They all can play and if they keep working will have a chance to play some good juniors if that is what they want and if they keep working maybe get a scholarship.

I enjoy this league and the games against the U-16's from ND and WI are great games. Section 7 is always tough and I am sure that the others will be too.

I can't wait for the next weekend in kasson.....

JCN
Fighting Sioux Forever

breakout

Post by breakout » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:23 pm

gopher1 wrote:The Blades are good enough to play Elite I and Elite 2. Sure its a numbers game and may they should play if they were invited. Were they invited? Sounds to me that it might be some pride getting in the way.

The fact is there are several former Blades players playing in the Elite 1. Those players are Juniors and above. There are two former Blades players, Nate Schmidt and Ryan Walters that are in the league as tenth graders.

Pride getting in the way? Not sure what you mean by that. The reality is that the Elite 1 does a very good job of getting the right kids. Elite 2 is a good league and does what it was designed to do.

breakout

Post by breakout » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:30 pm

nickel slots wrote:

The fact is, the vast majority of Elite 2 players will see a ton of time on their respective teams. It is a good league with good players. Persian from Orono is a prime example. He's a junior this year and played on the first line for Orono varsity last year. Lots of examples just like that.

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:53 pm

Any Rosters set on Players going to Boston?

Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:52 am

I will hook you up with the Boston roster tonight.

happymama

Post by happymama » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:10 pm

According to the Elite II website, the Boston trip was a voluntary trip for kids in Elite II to register for prior to tryouts if they were willing to pay the cost (around $600). Many kids chose not to do it due to conflicts on that weekend or the cost. The ones who said yes were evaluated during tryouts and from that list they made teams. Here are the rosters. It is not necessarily all the best players from Elite II but they are pretty good teams. Should be fun to see how they do.

NORTH TEAM
Altenbernd Alex F Moorhead
Boese Jake F Duluth East
Doig Andrew D Duluth Denfeld
Dudgeon Derek G Bemidji
George Trevor F Roseau
Grivette Troy D Virginia
Hasbargen Cody D Lake of the Woods
Jamnick Aaron F Hibbing
Martinson Mitch D Roseau
McLean Alex D Duluth East
Mellin Kenny F Duluth East
Mitchell Tom F Monticello
Phelps Alex F Detroit Lakes
Renier Mike F Duluth East
Tamasy Julius F Brainerd
Thompson Nate D Moorhead
Tracey Trevor G Duluth Central
Wessman Derek F Brainerd
Westerlund Joncarlo F Lake of the Woods
Wilder Cody F Moorhead

EAST TEAM
Anderson Mike F St. Bernards
Carlisle Dylan F Wadena
Caspar Trent G Eagan
Chuhel Alex F Stillwater
Fick Dan D Forest Lake
Gjerde Casey D White Bear Lake
Haas Dustin D Eagan
Hanson Ryne F Marshall
Hill Tyler F Hill-Murray
Housley Wilson F Stillwater
Kinne Bob F Cretin-Derham Hall
Moberg Paul G Forest Lake
Perkins Austin F Buffalo
Podpeskar Sean F Virginia
Putney Brent D White Bear Lake
Schmidt Brendan D Park-Cottage Grove
Varpness Tom D Eagan
Wethammer Matt D Forest Lake
Wilczyk Sam F St. Bernards
Young Kyle F Forest Lake

SOUTH TEAM
Doerring Blake D Blake
Faupel Joe F Rochester Century
Funk Taylor F Rochester Lourdes
Herbert Caleb F Bloomington Jefferson
Hexum Charlie F Rochester Lourdes
Jarrett David D Edina
Kozelka Kyle D Owatonna
LaBombard Tim D Bloomington Jefferson
Mitchell Bryan D Red Wing
Moore Patrick G Woodbury
Palm Ryan D Edina
Palm Chris F Edina
Paulson Grant D Owatonna
Peterson Cole F Rochester Lourdes
Reilly Connor F Holy Angels
Reilly Ryan F Holy Angels
Schammel Blake F Red Wing
Spratte Pete D Rochester Lourdes
Sturlaugson Taylor G Burnsville
Taft Charlie F Edina

WEST TEAM
D'Aigle Garrett F Cambridge Isanti
Decowski Cal F Andover
Fallen Tom D Armstrong
Fons Alex G Hopkins
Harper Danny G Blaine
Hughes James F Centennial
Kuehl Nick D Mound-Westonka
Kueppers Chris D Centennial
Larson Tony D Blaine
Lommel Sam F St. Cloud Cathedral
Lovick Jordan F Centennial
Mayer Colin F Mound-Westonka
McQuillan Joe F Eden Prairie
Mulvehill Joe F Eden Prairie
Perry Aaron F Champlin Park
Rasmussen Dustyn F Sartell
Sylvester Chris F Little Falls
Turnquist Tyler F Blaine
Wolfe Taylor D Eden Prairie

breakout

Post by breakout » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:23 am

happymama wrote:According to the Elite II website, the Boston trip was a voluntary trip for kids in Elite II to register for prior to tryouts if they were willing to pay the cost (around $600). Many kids chose not to do it due to conflicts on that weekend or the cost. The ones who said yes were evaluated during tryouts and from that list they made teams. Here are the rosters. It is not necessarily all the best players from Elite II but they are pretty good teams. Should be fun to see how they do.

NORTH TEAM
Boese Jake F Duluth East
Dudgeon Derek G Bemidji
George Trevor F Roseau
Grivette Troy D Virginia
Jamnick Aaron F Hibbing
Martinson Mitch D Roseau
Tamasy Julius F Brainerd
Thompson Nate D Moorhead
Wessman Derek F Brainerd
Wilder Cody F Moorhead

EAST TEAM
Carlisle Dylan F Wadena
Caspar Trent G Eagan
Chuhel Alex F Stillwater
Fick Dan D Forest Lake
Haas Dustin D Eagan
Hanson Ryne F Marshall
Hill Tyler F Hill-Murray
Perkins Austin F Buffalo
Varpness Tom D Eagan
Young Kyle F Forest Lake

SOUTH TEAM
Doerring Blake D Blake
Jarrett David D Edina
Kozelka Kyle D Owatonna
Moore Patrick G Woodbury
Palm Ryan D Edina
Palm Chris F Edina
Paulson Grant D Owatonna
Taft Charlie F Edina

WEST TEAM
Decowski Cal F Andover
Fallen Tom D Armstrong
Fons Alex G Hopkins
Harper Danny G Blaine
Larson Tony D Blaine
Turnquist Tyler F Blaine

$600? I hope hotel is included in that price. How many games will they play?

Tournaments of this type are certainly money makers. The cost of this one seems excessive.

I suppose the tournament people are telling prospective players/parents that it will be well scouted????

Obviously it attracted a lot of kids. Must be worth it.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:33 am

breakout wrote:
happymama wrote:According to the Elite II website, the Boston trip was a voluntary trip for kids in Elite II to register for prior to tryouts if they were willing to pay the cost (around $600). Many kids chose not to do it due to conflicts on that weekend or the cost. The ones who said yes were evaluated during tryouts and from that list they made teams. Here are the rosters. It is not necessarily all the best players from Elite II but they are pretty good teams. Should be fun to see how they do.

NORTH TEAM
Boese Jake F Duluth East
Dudgeon Derek G Bemidji
George Trevor F Roseau
Grivette Troy D Virginia
Jamnick Aaron F Hibbing
Martinson Mitch D Roseau
Tamasy Julius F Brainerd
Thompson Nate D Moorhead
Wessman Derek F Brainerd
Wilder Cody F Moorhead

EAST TEAM
Carlisle Dylan F Wadena
Caspar Trent G Eagan
Chuhel Alex F Stillwater
Fick Dan D Forest Lake
Haas Dustin D Eagan
Hanson Ryne F Marshall
Hill Tyler F Hill-Murray
Perkins Austin F Buffalo
Varpness Tom D Eagan
Young Kyle F Forest Lake

SOUTH TEAM
Doerring Blake D Blake
Jarrett David D Edina
Kozelka Kyle D Owatonna
Moore Patrick G Woodbury
Palm Ryan D Edina
Palm Chris F Edina
Paulson Grant D Owatonna
Taft Charlie F Edina

WEST TEAM
Decowski Cal F Andover
Fallen Tom D Armstrong
Fons Alex G Hopkins
Harper Danny G Blaine
Larson Tony D Blaine
Turnquist Tyler F Blaine

Tournaments of this type are certainly money makers. The cost of this one seems excessive.

I suppose the tournament people are telling prospective players/parents that it will be well scouted????

Breakout....This is some info from the league that was sent out.

Massachusetts Trip:
"As a part of the 2007 Elite II Fall High School Hockey League, there will be 4 teams from the league that will travel to the Boston/Foxborough area to play 4 games over one weekend. It will be a great opportunity for players to be seen by scouts of east coast schools. The teams will be made up of players from different teams that would like to make the trip. The cost to each player is being estimated at $600. I am hoping that I can lower that cost for each player. This fee would be over and above the league fee that each player pays. The weekend that has been selected for this trip is September 14-16, 2007. It would involve missing 1 day of school (Friday). Please give me an indication – not a commitment – as to your interest in making the trip if you were selected to play in the league."

8)

davey

Post by davey » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 am

breakout wrote:

NORTH TEAM
Boese Jake F Duluth East
Dudgeon Derek G Bemidji
George Trevor F Roseau
Grivette Troy D Virginia
Jamnick Aaron F Hibbing
Martinson Mitch D Roseau
Tamasy Julius F Brainerd
Thompson Nate D Moorhead
Wessman Derek F Brainerd
Wilder Cody F Moorhead

EAST TEAM
Carlisle Dylan F Wadena
Caspar Trent G Eagan
Chuhel Alex F Stillwater
Fick Dan D Forest Lake
Haas Dustin D Eagan
Hanson Ryne F Marshall
Hill Tyler F Hill-Murray
Perkins Austin F Buffalo
Varpness Tom D Eagan
Young Kyle F Forest Lake

SOUTH TEAM
Doerring Blake D Blake
Jarrett David D Edina
Kozelka Kyle D Owatonna
Moore Patrick G Woodbury
Palm Ryan D Edina
Palm Chris F Edina
Paulson Grant D Owatonna
Taft Charlie F Edina

WEST TEAM
Decowski Cal F Andover
Fallen Tom D Armstrong
Fons Alex G Hopkins
Harper Danny G Blaine
Larson Tony D Blaine
Turnquist Tyler F Blaine

Each team plays 4 games. Cost included airfare, transportation and hotel. You are correct in stating that they claim the kids will get exposure to Eastern scouts blah blah blah. Excessive, not for some of the names going, just a weekend at the lake, for the average kid, hopefully, a trip chalked up to a good experience that they might never had gotten without the league doing this.

My experience, been there, done that and the scouts ain't knocking on the door....yet

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:14 pm

Ether way, go kick some behind and show that the MN Hockey program is alive and well.
Best of luck and safe travels.

breakout

Post by breakout » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:04 pm

Thanks CNT

Also, thanks to Davey. Seems like a bargain if you are correct. Great experiece, great city. I would send my kid if he was in that league.

Good luck to the Minnesota Boys heading to Boston. Go kick them in the beans in BeanTown!

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:20 pm

Question if they are playing u16 why are there 11th graders going? :?

8)