Remember the 3 sport athlete of the good old days

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

glovesoff

Remember the 3 sport athlete of the good old days

Post by glovesoff »

Remember the good old days when an athlete played multiple sports. There are still a few out there, but so many are devoting the entire year to hockey.

Barring getting hurt by a 250 lbs linebacker, isn't it better being well rounded?

What do you think...
murraychadwick

Post by murraychadwick »

I couldn't agree more! The ability to compete is something we are forgetting by focusing only on our beloved "skill development." Give me a team full of kids who know how to win (see CDH)

I've always heard the argument of getting hurt in football. I'd like to hear any actual injuries during other sports that carried over to hockey. I can only think of the EP player who tore an ACL in the prep bowl that forced him to miss his HS season 5-10 years back.
mr.pucks

Post by mr.pucks »

my son broke his arm on the opening kickoff of the first football game this year. But he would never, ever consider quitting football or lacrosse either. Yes, he plays some hockey in the summer, but he loves them all!!!
In the fall he is a football player.
In the winter he is a hockey player.
In the spring he is a lacrosse player.
In the summer he is on summer break from school, you will find him at the beach...
Last edited by mr.pucks on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Don't think that this is unique to hockey for one minute. The number of kids who only play football, or basketball, or even soccer is pretty large. I know of soccer players who play year-round. Many football players just prepare during the off-season. Know any basketball players that are playing all year long? I do.

It's a sign of our times, and the multi-sport athlete is more rare, but they're still out there. I don't know who to blame, if anyone.
boblee

post 8272

Post by boblee »

Hockey is the only sport where EVERY kid is expected to participate year around. In baseball, some of the best will play in fall/winter/instructional leagues, or maybe hit in the cages. Football, many coaches expect kids to lift, and maybe play in a passing tournament, and maybe attend a camp. Tennis, tournaments all over, but not constant, same with golf. Soccer is becoming more year round, but it isn't fully expected of everyone. Hockey is the only one like that and it is a cryin' shame.
Can't Never Tried

Re: post 8272

Post by Can't Never Tried »

boblee wrote:Hockey is the only sport where EVERY kid is expected to participate year around. In baseball, some of the best will play in fall/winter/instructional leagues, or maybe hit in the cages. Football, many coaches expect kids to lift, and maybe play in a passing tournament, and maybe attend a camp. Tennis, tournaments all over, but not constant, same with golf. Soccer is becoming more year round, but it isn't fully expected of everyone. Hockey is the only one like that and it is a cryin' shame.
boblee...Not sure what you mean by EVERY kid? However.....
Hockey is the only sport you listed that requires a completly seperate skill set to even play........skating! all others you just put on your shoes and run and jump etc....

I'm not saying play only one sport, but I think it is the reason many a player chooses to play year round, taking your skates off for 3-6 months and then getting back into it is very difficult and can even be painful...and then to try and keep up with some of the fantastic talent we have in this state can be a real challange.

I know lots of kids that play their sports year round, or train for them anyway, and it's also a factor of the state we reside "Hockey State" go down to Texas and they treat football the very same way...

I also think that players are just becoming more sport specific because they find what they excel at, and put more time into it...kind of a natural response...if your good at something and like it you'll want to do it more!

Just my 2¢

8)
oldram

3 Sport Athletes

Post by oldram »

I think kids should play more than one sport. Each sport prepares you for the next. You hear so much these days about burnout in our youth. They are sick of playing one sport per year. You didn't hear about burnout years ago. I'm not talking about just hockey, either. All the other sports are doing it, too.

It's a societal problem. I'm not blaming kids for wanting to play their favorite sport the entire year. I'm blaming the system. Moderation is the key. Kids have to want to play.

Do they have a burning desire to play the sport year round or are they doing it because they feel they have to do it to please their coach or parents? I still believe if they are doing it for the exposure, it's the wrong reason. IF YOU HAVE TALENT THEY KNOW WHERE YOU ARE.

Somebody on here said putting the skates back on after 3-6 months off is difficult and sometimes painful. That's the fun part. Getting to put the skates back on after some time off. There's nothing better... except taking them off after an hour and putting your cool street shoes back on.
tjkhavgam

Post by tjkhavgam »

Playing 3 sports becomes more difficult as you get older. I think all high school coaches demand alot of the athletes. I think each has a summer program that they want the kids to do. I think kids need to be able dib and dab a little in multiple summer programs. ( Star Tribunes Metro Athletes of the week, looks like Anders work on his football and hockey skill over the summer. Anyone know if he plays a spring sport?)

I think when your younger you need play a bunch of sports. It leaves your options more open as you get older. Seen to many 1 sport athletes give up the sport they (or parents) have spent countless hours and $ on.
BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

Joe Mauer rings a bell when it comes to this subject. He ended up ok being a 3 sport athlete in high school. Could've went to FSU to play quarterback, All-state basketball player, then there's the baseball thing. I've seen interviews where he said baseball was always his favorite, but he loved playing other sports and having different teammates and things of that nature. I'm guessing he was a pretty popular guy at CDH. I'm sure he could've played baseball all year even though he lived in MN, but he chose to play other sports he loved and it worked out pretty well for him. I realize Joe is a special athlete that doesn't come around very often, but he's an example that shows you don't have to play a sport year round to be great at it. I'm sure he put his work in during the offseason hitting off that contraption his dad made for him, but he also worked hard at other sports and was very well rounded.

With that being said, it's ok if a kid plays hockey year round. What if he doesn't enjoy football, baseball, golf, basketball, or any of the other sports? It's a personal preference thing, but I know I wouldn't push my kid in any direction. If he wants to play a sport, he'll get to play it. Even if he's a really good hockey player and wants to play fall football! :)
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

A kid will play one sport all year round for the same reason a male dog will lick a certain part of his anatomy.....because he can. He can because adults, many of whom profit by it, make it possible.

In the old days we didnt have this many indoor rinks and the ones we had actually shut down in April. Now ,a lot of them stay open because people will pay to use them.

All of our schools now have state of the art training equipment in the gyms and weight rooms. May as well use them all summer.

Facilities, equipment and the cottage industry that is amateur sports make it happen.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

[quote="tjkhavgam"]Playing 3 sports becomes more difficult as you get older. I think all high school coaches demand alot of the athletes. I think each has a summer program that they want the kids to do. I think kids need to be able dib and dab a little in multiple summer programs. ( Star Tribunes Metro Athletes of the week, looks like Anders work on his football and hockey skill over the summer. Anyone know if he plays a spring sport?)

I think when your younger you need play a bunch of sports. It leaves your options more open as you get older. Seen to many 1 sport athletes give up the sport they (or parents) have spent countless hours and $ on.[/quote]

I was a three sport athlete in high school, football, hockey, track.
During the summer I agree three sport athletes life can be hard, but during the school year, it should be as easy peezie lemon sqeezie.
boblee

post 8280

Post by boblee »

I was a 3-sport high school athlete and never once was it "easy." During the football season, there was fall hockey and pressure to be hitting in the cage for baseball. During hockey there was really only hockey due to the snow. During baseball there was spring hockey and spring football. During the summer it was expected to do summer training for all three sports, which may have been easier. Off-ice conditioning/lifting isn't just a one sport thing. It would benefit all three. Don't forget these kids go to school. It can be a real drain.
ndirishfighting

Re: post 8280

Post by ndirishfighting »

[quote="boblee"]I was a 3-sport high school athlete and never once was it "easy." During the football season, there was fall hockey and pressure to be hitting in the cage for baseball. During hockey there was really only hockey due to the snow. During baseball there was spring hockey and spring football. During the summer it was expected to do summer training for all three sports, which may have been easier. Off-ice conditioning/lifting isn't just a one sport thing. It would benefit all three. Don't forget these kids go to school. It can be a real drain.[/quote]

Ya I agree with you, accept on one condition now I honeslty think it would be easier cause all these kids are spoiled little you know whats.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

ndirishfighting wrote:
boblee wrote:I was a 3-sport high school athlete and never once was it "easy." During the football season, there was fall hockey and pressure to be hitting in the cage for baseball. During hockey there was really only hockey due to the snow. During baseball there was spring hockey and spring football. During the summer it was expected to do summer training for all three sports, which may have been easier. Off-ice conditioning/lifting isn't just a one sport thing. It would benefit all three. Don't forget these kids go to school. It can be a real drain.
Ya I agree with you, accept on one condition now I honeslty think it would be easier cause all these kids are spoiled little you know whats.
How would that make it any easier? "Oh, you're spoiled, you don't have to go to practice."? I don't think that's being said in many locker rooms around the state.
The U invented swagger.
tiny

Post by tiny »

ndirishfighting wrote:
boblee wrote:I was a 3-sport high school athlete and never once was it "easy." During the football season, there was fall hockey and pressure to be hitting in the cage for baseball. During hockey there was really only hockey due to the snow. During baseball there was spring hockey and spring football. During the summer it was expected to do summer training for all three sports, which may have been easier. Off-ice conditioning/lifting isn't just a one sport thing. It would benefit all three. Don't forget these kids go to school. It can be a real drain.
It's not the kids fault.

Parent's can say "NO" to excessive sports participation when the children are small. If anyone may be spoiled, it's the parent that is trying to boost their own pride through their child.

The problem is not whether a person plays multiple sports or concentrates on one sport. The problem is when you play that sport or sports with an agenda of "getting something" for yourself out of the deal.

You play a sport because you love to play and participate. Any other reason means you are selling the sport short and disrespecting the game. If there's a complaint it's about the motivation for why a person plays, not whether they play one, two, three or five different sports in any given year.
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

Well Said Boblee, except during hockey you had Boot Hockey to contend with at the same time!!!
murraychadwick

Post by murraychadwick »

mr. pucks - wow first kick of the first game! I wish him the best. Can he play football? Will he be back in time for Hockey. Good to hear he still has the pasion for the games.
mr.pucks

Post by mr.pucks »

Dr. says 6-8 weeks. He is politicking to come back to football now with a cast on... (can't keep him off the field). I am not for that, if he hurts it worse he will lose the entire year (all sports).
Last edited by mr.pucks on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ice29

Post by ice29 »

I am a true believer in 3 Sport Athletes! For all the reason stated in all the posts. But one word continues to be used in all the posts and that word is I, individual, me, my sport, myself, ETC ETC.

What ever happened to the words - Community, Town, School, and Team! I believe all 3-Sport Athletes Participate in Sports to Represent their School. Is this concept becoming a lost tradition or idealogy. Let's put the words - Teammates, School, Community, Coach and most important Family back in High School Athletics and remove the the Big "I" Word.

The only "I" is in Individual!
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

There is a blurb in the Red Star on the back page of the Sports page about an Edina athlete who plays 3 sports.

His comments about playing 3 are interesting and refreshing.

A lot of this depends on how good you are. Some of these kids think that if they dont devote themselves to one sport, they wont get to where they want to go.

Joe Mauer didnt have to worry about that. Most kids who are really good dont.
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

packerboy wrote:There is a blurb in the Red Star on the back page of the Sports page about an Edina athlete who plays 3 sports.

His comments about playing 3 are interesting and refreshing.

A lot of this depends on how good you are. Some of these kids think that if they dont devote themselves to one sport, they wont get to where they want to go.

Joe Mauer didnt have to worry about that. Most kids who are really good dont.
I wonder if the kids are the ones really making the decision not to play?
"Be a teammate first"
Roso Gal

Post by Roso Gal »

http://www.grandforksherald.com/article ... ion=Sports

Nice write-up about a few Roseau athletes.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

It is sad to me that so many good athletes limit themselves by opting to only play one sport---and at such young ages! Kids should be allowed to be kids and participate in a number of things. Too many overzealous parents are limiting their kids by not letting them get exposure to things other than hockey in my humble opinion.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Parents, often times , get too much credit and take too much of the blame.

I know a number of parents whose boys have given up baseball and /or football because they wanted to concentrate on hockey and they are not the least bit happy about it. They miss the ball games in the summer and their "baseball friends" etc, etc.

But thats what the child wanted to do.

I dont think we give these kids enough credit sometimes. They know what they are doing.(Well, mine dont)

They know (or think they know) what they have to do to get where they want to be.

Its as bad to pressure them play 3 sports as it is to pressure them to give up one to concentrate on the other.
hawkeyfan

Post by hawkeyfan »

Alot of kids choose to devote themselves to one sport because they feel it will give them a much better shot of making the team. At alot of AA schools where the numbers are high you can be replaced if you don't improve significantly in the offseason. The mentallity "its better to quit two and make one than to be cut from all three" applies. At smaller schools you see more 3 sport atheletes because there aren't as many kids competing for the same spot.