NAHL/Midget Showcase- Blaine,MN- 9/19-23

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

friendlyreminder

NAHL/Midget Showcase- Blaine,MN- 9/19-23

Post by friendlyreminder » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:49 pm

Tournament starts tomorrow at the superrink. If anybody gets a chance to go watch I would recommend it. Both great levels of hockey under one roof for 5 days.

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40 pm

I'm there tomorrow can't wait!!!!!

southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:21 pm

I just looked at the boxscore for Fargo and saw Sam Carr on there for an assist. I did not realize he was playing there???? Can anyone explain?

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:00 pm

southernmnscout wrote:I just looked at the boxscore for Fargo and saw Sam Carr on there for an assist. I did not realize he was playing there???? Can anyone explain?
Where did you expect him to be playing?

southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:23 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
southernmnscout wrote:I just looked at the boxscore for Fargo and saw Sam Carr on there for an assist. I did not realize he was playing there???? Can anyone explain?
USHL

Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:04 pm

southernmnscout wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:
USHL
And why is that? What team did he try out for in the USHL? Just curious..

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:56 pm

Does anyone have a list of the teams playing in this?
The U invented swagger.

Walter Sojack

Post by Walter Sojack » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:Does anyone have a list of the teams playing in this?
http://www.nahlshowcase.com/
I'm finishing my coffee

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Walter Sojack wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:Does anyone have a list of the teams playing in this?
http://www.nahlshowcase.com/
Thank you.
The U invented swagger.

Walter Sojack

Post by Walter Sojack » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Good hockey here.. Always a few line brawls in the mix
I'm finishing my coffee

breakout

Post by breakout » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:00 pm

Walter Sojack wrote:Good hockey here.. Always a few line brawls in the mix

I watched some games last year. I forgot the guys will drop the gloves and fight.

Basically, one player asks a player on the other team to fight. If agreed, they drop their buckets and gloves and go at it.

Good hockey, lots of scouts, good atmosphere.

MetCenterFan

Post by MetCenterFan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:23 pm

breakout wrote:

I watched some games last year. I forgot the guys will drop the gloves and fight.

Basically, one player asks a player on the other team to fight. If agreed, they drop their buckets and gloves and go at it.

And what in the heck possible good does this kind of fighting do? It certainly can't impress the college scouts since fighting is not allowed in the college game, and it sure doesn't give any indication as to the quality of a player's hockey skills. I gotta think that the scouts simply write off the goons.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:34 am

MetCenterFan wrote:
breakout wrote:

And what in the heck possible good does this kind of fighting do? It certainly can't impress the college scouts since fighting is not allowed in the college game, and it sure doesn't give any indication as to the quality of a player's hockey skills. I gotta think that the scouts simply write off the goons.
It's fun to see players playing in an environment that isn't so serious. Where they can drop the gloves and duke it out without fear of major repercussions. What is it hurting? Maybe a bloody nose or a swollen hand here or there? Personally I see no problem with it and I think it actually makes the games more fun to watch
The U invented swagger.

breakout

Post by breakout » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:18 am

MetCenterFan wrote:
breakout wrote:

Understand your point. Keep in mind, some players need to do things to bring attention to themselves. They may be bubble players.

Didn't the Gophers recently offer to "one of the toughest players in the USHL"? I am referring to Stu Bickel. I am guessing he got in a scrap or two in the USHL. Trust me, he didn't get offered because he is a tremendous skater and play maker.

Also, there still is fighting in the pros. Not condoning fighting...........it's a part of that game (Boogaard).

FIREHAWK

Post by FIREHAWK » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:47 am

To me fighting is not hockey!!! I would rather see a great body check or a rush with the puck, not how many teeth you can knock out!!!!!!!!

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:38 am

I think that fighting is a must when players don't all wear full facemasks. The players need to be able to police the game themselves, or else we'd be seeing guys getting run from behind all of the time. It's one way you can get back at somebody in a fair way. Plus it's fun to watch... no, not as fun as a big, clean hit or a nice breakout, but anybody who says they don't like watching the fights is lying!

MetCenterFan

Post by MetCenterFan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:41 pm

I can see the reason for the very occasional fight resulting when one player cheap shots another. But, to have two guys agree to square off at the drop of the puck simply because neither wants to back down to the other or to change the complexion of the game makes absolutely no sense at all. It's the nature of this kind of fighting that gives this great sport that we all love a very bad reputation. I grew tired of goons long ago. If they want to fight, they can go do the ultimate fighting thing where they'll meet their match.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:51 pm

MetCenterFan wrote:I can see the reason for the very occasional fight resulting when one player cheap shots another. But, to have two guys agree to square off at the drop of the puck simply because neither wants to back down to the other or to change the complexion of the game makes absolutely no sense at all. It's the nature of this kind of fighting that gives this great sport that we all love a very bad reputation. I grew tired of goons long ago. If they want to fight, they can go do the ultimate fighting thing where they'll meet their match.
A bad reputation according to who? The people who have never seen a game and think all hockey is is a bunch of goons out there to fight? A couple fights in a junior tourney aren't going to change anyone's mind. Everyone who has taken the time to sit and watch a game understands that there is so much more to the game than fighting. And the people who haven't taken the time to sit and watch a game aren't going to change their minds until they do so.
The U invented swagger.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:14 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:
MetCenterFan wrote:I can see the reason for the very occasional fight resulting when one player cheap shots another. But, to have two guys agree to square off at the drop of the puck simply because neither wants to back down to the other or to change the complexion of the game makes absolutely no sense at all. It's the nature of this kind of fighting that gives this great sport that we all love a very bad reputation. I grew tired of goons long ago. If they want to fight, they can go do the ultimate fighting thing where they'll meet their match.
A bad reputation according to who? The people who have never seen a game and think all hockey is is a bunch of goons out there to fight? A couple fights in a junior tourney aren't going to change anyone's mind. Everyone who has taken the time to sit and watch a game understands that there is so much more to the game than fighting. And the people who haven't taken the time to sit and watch a game aren't going to change their minds until they do so.
I agree with ya Goldy....funny though, as hard as it is to even get to that level of hockey today..they're called goons :roll: these young men have most likely been busting there axe's since they were young kids just to get here, and they're not done trying to reach their ultimate goal (College or Pro Hockey) so if they gotta kick some axe to get there in a juniors game there gonna, and they should if it needs to happen...what are they suppose to do? turn the other cheek??? I doubt it....It would be worse to be known as a puss, then "hey there's the guy that got his axe kicked last night".

There are so many reasons these fights happen that the average fan in the stands hasn't a clue about.

8)

MetCenterFan

Post by MetCenterFan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:20 pm

I'd argue that being a fighter will NOT get these guys to the college level. They can show plenty of toughness by playing the game with grit, hard checking, driving the net, etc. The fighters are typically your 3rd or 4th liner who clearly don't stand a chance of making it anyway, so what the heck, they're told to fight. I think the more elite junior players look to avoid the fighting. Why? Because it doesn't make any sense for them to do it.

The game needs to evolve and get away from it's reputation as a neanderthal sport. To me, the college game without fighting is a much better product than the goonville junior leagues.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:34 pm

I think you're missing the point behind the fights. Two guys don't just look at each other and say, "I want to fight you", "you're in luck, cuz I want to fight you too!"... there's a purpose behind it, especially in Juniors. If a guy's hacking out there in a college or high school game he's going to get run from behind, cross checked, or hit with an elbow. You see it all the time. At the Juniors level, you'd better be willing to back up a cheap hit, high stick, or a slash by dropping your gloves, no matter if you're D-1 talent or destined to star at the D-3 level. I know you guys teach your kids that fighting is not part of the game, and they shouldn't do it, but you'd probably rather see them drop the gloves and take off the helmet than see them get run from behind, cross checked in the neck, or elbowed in the back of the head. Also, think about the officiating... some ref's call a tight game, while others let everything go and people end up getting hurt because most players will do whatever they can get away with. Well, in Juniors, nobody gets away with a cheap shot for very long... they are forced to face up to it eventually.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Also, you're right... the college game is better. Why? Because the players are better. The best from high schools and Juniors go play in college, plus you have 24 year old seniors, with two years of juniors and three college seasons under their belt already. I'd even argue that a good D3 game is better hockey than some of these Junior A games, for these same reasons... a lot of these kids playing this weekend will end up in the MIAC or WIAC, or out east at Middlebury or Amherst... still 24 and experienced.

Here's a question for Met Center: would you rather see 10 fights where nobody gets injured, or one check from behind where a kid gets taken out to the hospital?

MetCenterFan

Post by MetCenterFan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:06 pm

Neither. Just play the game hard and smart and in the end it'll attract more players at the youth level and more fans in the stands.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:11 pm

It's hopeless!
8)

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:It's hopeless!
8)
You're right CNT, I think he might be the next.... Umm, we'll just leave it at that.
The U invented swagger.