Grand Rapids : Where will the points come from?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GR3343

Grand Rapids : Where will the points come from?

Post by GR3343 »

Was looking at the GRHS website and an alarming stat jumped out at me. As a team it appears they scored 114 goals. Returning players accounted for only 32 of those, with Roy leading the way with 10. Who's going to pick up the slack this season?
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

Apparently GR, no one has any answers / ideas?!
GRhawky

Post by GRhawky »

Tony Palkki will be one of the top scorers for the thunderhawks this year i believe. Him Roy and sparen have to find ways to bury it. Moore and Prokop will have their share too
boblee

post 8338

Post by boblee »

Don't forget about Greniger, Rendle, and Kosak
wbmd

Re: Grand Rapids : Where will the points come from?

Post by wbmd »

GR3343 wrote:Was looking at the GRHS website and an alarming stat jumped out at me. As a team it appears they scored 114 goals. Returning players accounted for only 32 of those, with Roy leading the way with 10. Who's going to pick up the slack this season?
You'll be amazed at who might come forward and do a lot of the scoring.

I have seen it with other teams when a player basically does nothing as a junior playing regular shifts and then in his senior year, finishes as one of the top scorers.

More than likely, someone will step it up in the scoring column.
boblee

post 8339

Post by boblee »

wbmd wrote:
GR3343 wrote:Was looking at the GRHS website and an alarming stat jumped out at me. As a team it appears they scored 114 goals. Returning players accounted for only 32 of those, with Roy leading the way with 10. Who's going to pick up the slack this season?
You'll be amazed at who might come forward and do a lot of the scoring.

I have seen it with other teams when a player basically does nothing as a junior playing regular shifts and then in his senior year, finishes as one of the top scorers.

More than likely, someone will step it up in the scoring column.
Trevor Hicks was a great example of that.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Hopefully some of the super sophs.
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

If Tabaka can play well in goal, I think Rapids has a very good chance to 3 peat in 7AA. They have solid defensemen. One of the reasons I like them this year to reach state too is Cloquet and East don't have Leis and Ellingson back. Jokenin is a good player, but certainly not in the league of Tyler Johnson. Also with Flaherty(sp?) leaving East they'll be looking for a go to guy.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Frequent_MN_Flyer wrote:If Tabaka can play well in goal, I think Rapids has a very good chance to 3 peat in 7AA. They have solid defensemen. One of the reasons I like them this year to reach state too is Cloquet and East don't have Leis and Ellingson back. Jokenin is a good player, but certainly not in the league of Tyler Johnson. Also with Flaherty(sp?) leaving East they'll be looking for a go to guy.
Speaking of Goalies what happened with the new Goalie kid in town?
Crushtheyskullz or whatever his name was from Maple Grove.
Is he actually playing? and can any of you GR folks bring us up to speed on this.
Thanks

8)
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Frequent_MN_Flyer wrote:If Tabaka can play well in goal, I think Rapids has a very good chance to 3 peat in 7AA. They have solid defensemen. One of the reasons I like them this year to reach state too is Cloquet and East don't have Leis and Ellingson back. Jokenin is a good player, but certainly not in the league of Tyler Johnson. Also with Flaherty(sp?) leaving East they'll be looking for a go to guy.
Is he actually playing? and can any of you GR folks bring us up to speed on this.
Thanks

8)
He's on the football team as of right now. He played in at least one summer games and was so-so. In my opinion, he's not ready to unseat Tabaka, Figgins, Underwood or Larson.
ColdasIce

Post by ColdasIce »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Flaherty only scored 12 goals last year, I believe Rob Johnson was the leading scorer so I'm sure the hounds will be finewith him and Tardy leading the way.

Thanks

8)
quickgym guy

Post by quickgym guy »

Jokinen led the section in scoring last year... I would consider him a little better than "good". Cloquet is also returning four of their top five D.
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

GR3343 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Thanks

8)
He's on the football team as of right now. He played in at least one summer games and was so-so. In my opinion, he's not ready to unseat Tabaka, Figgins, Underwood or Larson.
Are we saying that the Goalies are going to get all of the points this year???? :wink: :wink:
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Indians forever wrote:
GR3343 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote: Speaking of Goalies what happened with the new Goalie kid in town?
Thanks

8)
Are we saying that the Goalies are going to get all of the points this year???? :wink: :wink:
No I thing the better than good Jokenin will all the way from cloquet.
boblee

post 8368

Post by boblee »

Top 5 returning Scorers:

Robb Roy: 10-10-20 (2006-2007) 17-20-37 (career)
Sam Sparen: 9-8-17 (2006-2007) 14-13-27 (career)
Sam Rendle: 3-11-14 (2006-2007) 3-11-14 (career)
Corey Kosak: 3-9-12 (2006-2007) 3-9-12 (career)
Tony Palkki: 3-5-8 (2006-2007) 3-5-8 (career)
norcon

Post by norcon »

Reggie wrote:Hopefully some of the super sophs.
Don't expect to see much out of the so-called super sophs. Lots of seniors and a handfull of nice juniors to compete with for playing time. Skrbec is a very nice player and could be a big plus if he starts burying the puck. Aside from him I don't see alot of contribution from too many other sophs. A couple defenseman could see some playing time, but they will need to improve immensely on their defensive skills to fit in.
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

norcon wrote:
Don't expect to see much out of the so-called super sophs. Lots of seniors and a handfull of nice juniors to compete with for playing time. Skrbec is a very nice player and could be a big plus if he starts burying the puck. Aside from him I don't see alot of contribution from too many other sophs. A couple defenseman could see some playing time, but they will need to improve immensely on their defensive skills to fit in.
I think there's a good chance some of those seniors may get cut - the staff has to look at getting a few of the sophs some experience if the team is going to go anywhere over the next couple years. Keeping in mind, alot of those seniors have never seen any varsity time either - who would you play??
Can't Never Tried

PuckTime wrote:
norcon wrote:
I think there's a good chance some of those seniors may get cut - the staff has to look at getting a few of the sophs some experience if the team is going to go anywhere over the next couple years. Keeping in mind, alot of those seniors have never seen any varsity time either - who would you play??
If all things are equal I play the senior...for the reasons that have been shared countless times in many threads.
Play for this season..not next!

8)
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
PuckTime wrote:
norcon wrote: Don't expect to see much out of the so-called super sophs. Lots of seniors and a handfull of nice juniors to compete with for playing time. Skrbec is a very nice player and could be a big plus if he starts burying the puck. Aside from him I don't see alot of contribution from too many other sophs. A couple defenseman could see some playing time, but they will need to improve immensely on their defensive skills to fit in.
If all things are equal I play the senior...for the reasons that have been shared countless times in many threads.

8)
What if things aren't equal? Maybe a soph or even a junior has a slight edge or more potential? Do you play the senior just because he's a senior?
Can't Never Tried

PuckTime wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
PuckTime wrote: I think there's a good chance some of those seniors may get cut - the staff has to look at getting a few of the sophs some experience if the team is going to go anywhere over the next couple years. Keeping in mind, alot of those seniors have never seen any varsity time either - who would you play??

8)
What if things aren't equal? Maybe a soph or even a junior has a slight edge or more potential? Do you play the senior just because he's a senior?
No you put the best team on the ice for this year...period IMO
I don't care if he's a fresh..if he's better you play him.
But if the Sr. and Fresh or whatever grade are equal play the Sr. remember anyone who doesn't perform as the season gets going can get bumped.

8)
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Can't Never Tried wrote: No you put the best team on the ice for this year...period IMO
I don't care if he's a fresh..if he's better you play him.
But if the Sr. and Fresh or whatever grade are equal play the Sr. remember anyone who doesn't perform as the season gets going can get bumped.

8)
You need to guess who is going to be better at the END of the year, not at tryouts.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

I guess I'm of the opinion that if you have a soph. and a sr. who are even close, you play the soph. You're going to get more milage for your program that way. The senior is on his way out while you will get two plus seasons from a budding soph.
Can't Never Tried

GR3343 wrote:I guess I'm of the opinion that if you have a soph. and a sr. who are even close, you play the soph. You're going to get more milage for your program that way. The senior is on his way out while you will get two plus seasons from a budding soph.
"even close"
Boy that would suck.....kind of tough to look fwd to the Sr. year if your gonna get knocked off by a younger player that may or may not pan out.
That's always playing for the future then.... so I disagree.
But like you said that's your opinion and that's alright.

Do you get rid of that budding soph after the Jr. year for the next promise??
PuckTime

Post by PuckTime »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
GR3343 wrote:I guess I'm of the opinion that if you have a soph. and a sr. who are even close, you play the soph. You're going to get more milage for your program that way. The senior is on his way out while you will get two plus seasons from a budding soph.
"even close"
Boy that would suck.....kind of tough to look fwd to the Sr. year if your gonna get knocked off by a younger player that may or may not pan out.

I see both points. Pretty tough call - glad I'm not in charge. Would be hard to balance because you have to focus and play for this year, but to a degree have to prepare for the future of the team at the same time.
Can't just bump the senior, but have to take a good look at the youngster.
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
"even close"

Maybe came out a little harsh. Only meant to say if you've got a potentially better player that will help your team now as well as in the future, and that player is a soph., I would think you would keep him over a borderline sr. who has only played jv up til now. Even if that sr. is equal to or close to as talented as the upcoming sophs. You'll eventually end up with a better team in the long run because you will have a broader canvas with which to work for 2 plus years, as opposed to developing a player who will be on his/her way after the season's done. I'm sure it's a dilema facing every program in the state. What's right and fair? Only the coaches can make those decisions.