Top Line In The State

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

breakout

Post by breakout » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Gotothenetman wrote:The best line and it is not even close is the line of Toews, Stepan and Murray from Shattuck. 3 d-1 commitments and they have it all skill with Stepan, Toughness and skill with Murray, and everything with Toews.

There is no debate here!

In this forum there is always debate. That's what it is about.

To your point, that is an awesome line. However, they don't play in the Minnesota High School league :-s

theref

Post by theref » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:18 pm

breakout wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:The best line and it is not even close is the line of Toews, Stepan and Murray from Shattuck. 3 d-1 commitments and they have it all skill with Stepan, Toughness and skill with Murray, and everything with Toews.

There is no debate here!

In this forum there is always debate. That's what it is about.

To your point, that is an awesome line. However, they don't play in the Minnesota High School league :-s
Have to agree on this one since we are on the high school league board.

superfanEmoney8

Post by superfanEmoney8 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:44 pm

For Edina budish's line will be 2nd..as they did last year to have a HUGE mismatch wiht whoever the opponent puts out 2nd...their 1st line will be anders leer and taft whos a up and coming sophomore...2nd line is the budish connor gaarder and everson line...i'd take both their lines as the 2 best in state, next roseau's and a sleeper line would be minnetonka's line whihc i think has some real talent

breakout

Post by breakout » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:32 pm

superfanEmoney8 wrote:For Edina budish's line will be 2nd..as they did last year to have a HUGE mismatch wiht whoever the opponent puts out 2nd...their 1st line will be anders leer and taft whos a up and coming sophomore...2nd line is the budish connor gaarder and everson line...i'd take both their lines as the 2 best in state, next roseau's and a sleeper line would be minnetonka's line whihc i think has some real talent

The line will probably be Casey Gaarder, Lee and Leer. Taft will be on the third or fourth line...........probably the third. Casey is a nice player.

sid_the_kid

Post by sid_the_kid » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:57 pm

breakout wrote:
blucru11 wrote:good one i dont think Edina's second line will be able to keep up to Roseau's 2nd line.. we will have to just wait and see in March eh?

Think again, they will probably have Anders Lee and Leer on the 2nd line. Not sure who they might plug in on the other wing. Lee and Leer are both Elite 1 players who add depth to an already deep team.
when did lee leave st. thomas? i heard he wouldn't leave cuz of football?

breakout

Post by breakout » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:18 pm

sid_the_kid wrote:
breakout wrote:
blucru11 wrote:good one i dont think Edina's second line will be able to keep up to Roseau's 2nd line.. we will have to just wait and see in March eh?

Think again, they will probably have Anders Lee and Leer on the 2nd line. Not sure who they might plug in on the other wing. Lee and Leer are both Elite 1 players who add depth to an already deep team.
He's the quarterback for Edina. Read the high school sports section sometime. You will see his name appear.

hockeyfantasy

Post by hockeyfantasy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:19 pm

gatzke wrote "landman,nelson,moser,ness,weston,lee"

Hell will freeze over first, before Oliver will put his son Nick on the second
line. Nick, I hear, is a good player BUT his coach didn't move up to Roseau to watch him on the second or third line. Not a chance, won't happen, etc. Good luck anyway!!!

BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:48 pm

hockeyfantasy wrote:gatzke wrote "landman,nelson,moser,ness,weston,lee"

line. Nick, I hear, is a good player BUT his coach didn't move up to Roseau to watch him on the second or third line. Not a chance, won't happen, etc. Good luck anyway!!!
You might be right, but the second line would be damn near as good with Knockemous, Oliver, Fabian, Ness, Martinsen,Lee. I included Ness because he plays the whole damn game. I'm not sure who will fill the other holes at D for the Rams. Anyone have any idea? They'll need more than Ness, Weston, and Martinson.

D16Dad

Post by D16Dad » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:08 pm

BERG RENOLZ wrote:You might be right, but the second line would be damn near as good with Knockemous, Oliver, Fabian, Ness, Martinsen,Lee. I included Ness because he plays the whole damn game. I'm not sure who will fill the other holes at D for the Rams. Anyone have any idea? They'll need more than Ness, Weston, and Martinson.
Maybe Tesarek (Tim?)?

mnhockey777

Post by mnhockey777 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:43 pm

dont forget burnsvilles front with all the edina talk,
they will put on a great show and look for bville to walk away with a win

breakout

Post by breakout » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:54 pm

mnhockey777 wrote:dont forget burnsvilles front with all the edina talk,

Solid line for Burnsville...............walk away with a win? :lol:

TKO_81

Post by TKO_81 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:28 pm

Top 4 or 5 defense for Roseau should/could be Ness, Weston, Koenig, with Martinsen/Mattson working for the 4th/5th spot.

5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:02 pm

BERG RENOLZ wrote:
hockeyfantasy wrote:gatzke wrote "landman,nelson,moser,ness,weston,lee"

You might be right, but the second line would be damn near as good with Knockemous, Oliver, Fabian, Ness, Martinsen,Lee. I included Ness because he plays the whole damn game. I'm not sure who will fill the other holes at D for the Rams. Anyone have any idea? They'll need more than Ness, Weston, and Martinson.
I don't think Coach Oliver cares whether his son plays on the first or second line. In fact, if it would help squeeze more production out of the third line, he could even put his son there. (Pair a weaker player with a couple of great players and he will have the confidence to step up his game.) Nick is going to play D1 hockey some day--this is already certain. The main goals are for Nick and the other players to play to their potential and for the team to be better than the sum of the parts--ultimately for the team to win another championship. There is no "I" in team...)

The strategy that Coach Oliver (and the other coaches, I realize that the assistants are extremely valuable) used for the state tournament this year--having three lines with nearly the same amount of offensive punch--paid off very well. I see him doing the same thing this year. (Wasn't Nick on the third line during the tournaments?)

I also liked the way the Oliver and the other coaches stressed defense. Roseau's defensive game was awesome at tournament time last year. Defense wins championships. You can have lots of scoring punch, but if you don't play defense, all bets are off. I am not a fan of bragging about who has the best line in the state. If the other team can't score a goal on you, you will not lose.

(Look at some of these "Elite" league games. The scores are laughable--even embarassing. In general, team defense has been non-existent. Everyone is out to get a point and show that they are better than the next guy. The Elite league is a good warm-up for the season for those playing, but not much else.)

mnhockey777

Post by mnhockey777 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:03 pm

breakout wrote:

not meaning guaranteed, but i believe they have a good chance

breakout

Post by breakout » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:07 pm

5th Line Center, I like that you emphasized Roseau's team strategy. If what you say is true about Mr. Oliver, his son and team..........that's outstanding.

breakout

Post by breakout » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:10 pm

mnhockey777 wrote:
breakout wrote:

not meaning guaranteed, but i believe they have a good chance

You seem a bit less confident this time around.

No offense, one first line vs. two first lines ain't going to do it. Plus, Edina is better at D and goal. Guess we will have to wait and see.

hockeyfantasy

Post by hockeyfantasy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:59 am

I totally agree with you (5th line center), there is no "I" in team. Most of us have seen, at one time or another, a parent coach favors his or her kid especially at younger ages. I've even seen it at the Bantam age (it was horrifying). After visiting with several people, Oliver is like that (unforturnately). There was another thread regarding him and his assistants, so I don't need to get into that again, BUT you wait and see!!! For once in my life, I hope I'm wrong but I know I'm right. (sounds like my wife talking to me! :lol:)

crosby087

Post by crosby087 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:58 pm

breakout wrote:
sid_the_kid wrote:
breakout wrote:

He's the quarterback for Edina. Read the high school sports section sometime. You will see his name appear.
yeah he was the qb for stma last year and said he wouldn't want to leave there cuz of their football

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:01 pm

crosby087 wrote:
breakout wrote:
sid_the_kid wrote:
breakout wrote:

yeah he was the qb for stma last year and said he wouldn't want to leave there cuz of their football
And now he is the leading passer in the state, playing for Edina HS.

Helpful hint: Don't use STMA to refer to St. Thomas Academy. STMA is often used to refer to St. Michael-Albertville.
The U invented swagger.

black sheep

Post by black sheep » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm

Interesting thread....However if ewe can guess who will be on what line for Roseau in Oct...that would be simply amazing. I would guess there will be alot of moving of players until, say Valentines Day or so.

The same principle will likely apply as last year... 1st line (a), 1st line (b), 1st line (C)...and if it happens again life is good there.

What Roseau's system does better than everyone elses, is create great support players. Look at there *2nd* line last year...no stars (i bet if your not from Roseau you probably can't name one), but matched (shut down) opponents 1st lines through the playoffs, creating mismatches for the 1st & 3rd groups.

BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:12 am

black sheep wrote:Interesting thread....However if ewe can guess who will be on what line for Roseau in Oct...that would be simply amazing. I would guess there will be alot of moving of players until, say Valentines Day or so.

The same principle will likely apply as last year... 1st line (a), 1st line (b), 1st line (C)...and if it happens again life is good there.

What Roseau's system does better than everyone elses, is create great support players. Look at there *2nd* line last year...no stars (i bet if your not from Roseau you probably can't name one), but matched (shut down) opponents 1st lines through the playoffs, creating mismatches for the 1st & 3rd groups.
I totally agree, i'm sure the kids will get switched around a lot for the first 3/4 of the year to see what works best.

I think it was Voll, Larson, and Johnson on the *2nd* line, could be wrong though. All hard working kids, no superstars.

AngusYoung

Re: Top Line In The State

Post by AngusYoung » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:40 pm

sicknasty7722 wrote:Okay, let's hear it, who do you think will be the most threatening 1st line this season?
Right now, I would go with Belanger centering Rolston and Bouchard.

AY 8)

HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:38 pm

sheesh...guess Edina and Roseau have bye into State Tourney..I think there will be a few teams in both sections that will show up for the game if they are allowed to be in the same building as these clubs...
"Be a teammate first"

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:22 am

HOFam'r wrote:sheesh...guess Edina and Roseau have bye into State Tourney..I think there will be a few teams in both sections that will show up for the game if they are allowed to be in the same building as these clubs...
Why would you say that? Nobody is going to give these teams a free ride. Just the opposite. The thread title is top lines in the state, and people are stating their opinion. Is that a reason for you yet again to take shots at succesful programs? Do you think that by "knocking down" better programs that somehow elevates Buffalo? It only makes you look small, bitter and jealous.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs

Nominnhkywatcher

Post by Nominnhkywatcher » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:43 pm

The RAMS will have 2 very strong lines and a solid checking line ...

having Ness on the ice will make all the lines that much stronger as far as a TOP line which ever line line has Ben Nelson will be the top line

If its Oliver and Nelson with whoever it will be the top line

If its Landman and Nelson with whoever it wil be the top line

offensively Nelson is the RAMS most dangerous foward this IMHO :lol: