which roseau team is the best this year?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

just curious on those that would have an opinion which roseau team is the best this year?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:52 pm

highshool
81%
bantams
5%
peewee
14%

Total votes: 21

watchdog

which roseau team is the best this year?

Post by watchdog » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:52 pm

I thought it would be fun to see what people think. its tuff for people down south to answer this one but if you know these teams put your 2 cents in.

gerryodrowski

Post by gerryodrowski » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:23 pm

Boy, this is a hard one. They're pretty much all unbeatable.

BERG RENOLZ

Re: which roseau team is the best this year?

Post by BERG RENOLZ » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:37 pm

watchdog wrote:I thought it would be fun to see what people think. its tuff for people down south to answer this one but if you know these teams put your 2 cents in.
This can't be a serious question, can it?

gerryodrowski

Post by gerryodrowski » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:27 pm

BERG: I'm fairly certain that watchdog is quite serious about this....you must be from down south or something.

Imfrummars

Post by Imfrummars » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Wow Watchdog... apologize to the members of this site for this STUPID thread!

*facepalm*

I'm going to say peewees.

5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Imfrummars wrote:Wow Watchdog... apologize to the members of this site for this STUPID thread!

*facepalm*

Actually, the Dog is dead serious--and for a good reason. Roseau's got three really nice teams this year. (Perhaps this question isn't as interesting for the folks down south as it is for the folks up north... Last year many Roseau folks were saying that their Squirt team was the best team in town, relatively speaking--better than the high school team.) Everyone knows about the high school team. They will likely battle it out with Edina for the top spot, but there will be two or three other teams that will try to cause trouble.

The Peewees are a young team, but they are loaded with some really nice skaters. I am thinking that there will be 6 (possibly 1 or 2 more) future D1 players that will come from that group. They will be fun to watch over the next few years.

The Bantams should have a great team, as well. In contrast to the Peewee team, the Bantam team will mostly consist of second year players. They will likely be in the top 3 or 4 in the state, if the high school team doesn't pull in their best players.

My vote is that the high school team will be the best, but it will be very interesting to see how well this young Peewee team will progress over the year. If they log in enough hours on the North Rink, they could be contenders by the end of the season.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:22 pm

I am pretty sure the peewees cannot beat the bantams and pretty sure the bantams cannot beat the varsity.

I know the peewees cannot beat the varsity.

:D

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:49 pm

elliott70 wrote:I am pretty sure the peewees cannot beat the bantams and pretty sure the bantams cannot beat the varsity.

I know the peewees cannot beat the varsity.

:D
But not so true in Roseau four to five years ago!
"I am Jack's smirking revenge." - Fight Club

Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:49 pm

Six - or more - future D1 players from one pee wee team? And I thought Roseau was too far north to recruit?

What will AHA, HM, and Cretin do to get talent???
It is what it is!

watchdog

elliot

Post by watchdog » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:52 am

the poll is not about the peewees beating the bantams or bantams beating the high school in a game. which team will or is the best at its division? i thought it would be a fun thread up north for those who know all these teams honestly im not sure which one to pick. I think the peewees have huge upside potential if they work hard and hit the north rink hard all the players. Cat is right on i think that team is loaded with talent for now and the future. the bantams are amazingly good team but lack depth. How far can the top dogs carrie this team? It hinges on some of the weaker or younger players steping up to contribute. Defense is pretty solid here as well. The high school needs to just keep their head in the right place go to every practice with the right attitude (put on the work hat) give it all in every game and they have it.. cockey can be dangerous!!!!!!! i cant wait to watch hockey this year at all levels its gona be one to remember for the green and white..

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:56 pm

5th Line Center wrote:
Imfrummars wrote:Wow Watchdog... apologize to the members of this site for this STUPID thread!

*facepalm*

Actually, the Dog is dead serious--and for a good reason. Roseau's got three really nice teams this year. (Perhaps this question isn't as interesting for the folks down south as it is for the folks up north... Last year many Roseau folks were saying that their Squirt team was the best team in town, relatively speaking--better than the high school team.) Everyone knows about the high school team. They will likely battle it out with Edina for the top spot, but there will be two or three other teams that will try to cause trouble.

The Peewees are a young team, but they are loaded with some really nice skaters. I am thinking that there will be 6 (possibly 1 or 2 more) future D1 players that will come from that group. They will be fun to watch over the next few years.

The Bantams should have a great team, as well. In contrast to the Peewee team, the Bantam team will mostly consist of second year players. They will likely be in the top 3 or 4 in the state, if the high school team doesn't pull in their best players.

My vote is that the high school team will be the best, but it will be very interesting to see how well this young Peewee team will progress over the year. If they log in enough hours on the North Rink, they could be contenders by the end of the season.
Interesting to know that there are 6 future D1 players on a pee wee team. Since when did your talent level in pee wees gaurentee you anything but a spot on a pee wee travel team?
The U invented swagger.

Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:02 pm

Watchdog, I was not implying that I agree with 5thliiner about the incredible talent pool that some near the green and white seem to be touting. The likelyhood of producing 6-8 D1 players from one pee-wee squad is well...pretty far fetched. Hence the sarcasm about recruiting.

Good luck though in your quest to determine which team is better than another.
It is what it is!

5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:59 pm

Having six D1 players come from one team is rare but not unheard of. I need to count them, but I am thinking that the '99 Rams State Championship team had more than six guys that went on to play D1 or pro. Let's see...there was Josh Olson, Luke Erickson, Eric Fabian, a couple of Klemas, Jake Brandt, Derrick Byfuglien... I think I am missing someone...

watchdog

Post by watchdog » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:07 pm

Bigcat- i knew that but i was still confused i guess. i thought you were saying alot of good players but cant say 6 plus d-1 players. i was agreeing with that statement. its a good team but i cant say i dare make that prediction just yet. i'll go with lots of potential.

gerryodrowski

D1 Pee Wees

Post by gerryodrowski » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:12 pm

watchdog, Goldy, & 5th liner.......I recommend that you do not submit to any drug testing.

gerryodrowski

apolgies to Goldy

Post by gerryodrowski » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:17 pm

Goldy, didn't mean to address you in my previous post. Sorry!!!!!!

5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:52 pm

Okay, okay... Let's just say that they have a lot of nice players that will be fun to watch over the next few years.

BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:19 pm

5th Line Center wrote:Having six D1 players come from one team is rare but not unheard of. I need to count them, but I am thinking that the '99 Rams State Championship team had more than six guys that went on to play D1 or pro. Let's see...there was Josh Olson, Luke Erickson, Eric Fabian, a couple of Klemas, Jake Brandt, Derrick Byfuglien... I think I am missing someone...
That's almost correct: Luke Erickson (Bemidji State), Eric Fabian, Jake Brandt, and Derrick Byfuglien (UND), Mike Klema and Nathan Berry(Yale), Dave Klema (BU), and Ross Miller (AFA). Josh Olson went pro, didn't play D1, definitely could've though. Jesse Modahl and Aaron Degerness played @ UW River Falls - D3. Mark Fabian played college football @ Valley City state. The rest played junior hockey in the USHL except for the back up goalie and 1 4th liner. So, that makes 7 D1 guys, pretty good team.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 pm

5th Line Center wrote:Having six D1 players come from one team is rare but not unheard of. I need to count them, but I am thinking that the '99 Rams State Championship team had more than six guys that went on to play D1 or pro. Let's see...there was Josh Olson, Luke Erickson, Eric Fabian, a couple of Klemas, Jake Brandt, Derrick Byfuglien... I think I am missing someone...
Grand Rapids Indians 1990 : Chris Marinucci - UMD, Jeff Nielson - U of M, Adam Roy - Mankato St-UMD, Kelly Fairchild - Wisconsin, Troy Cusey - Notre Dame, Tony Retka - Air Force, Brian Nobs - Air Force, Randy Erickson - Army. Hope I didn't miss anyone. Plus the several that played at some top DIII schools. It's rare, but happens more often than you think.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:54 pm

Never said that you couldn't have 6 D1 players on a team. Just that it's very far-fetched to say that they will be playing D1 when they are only pee wees.
The U invented swagger.

5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:21 pm

BERG RENOLZ wrote:
That's almost correct: Luke Erickson (Bemidji State), Eric Fabian, Jake Brandt, and Derrick Byfuglien (UND), Mike Klema and Nathan Berry(Yale), Dave Klema (BU), and Ross Miller (AFA). Josh Olson went pro, didn't play D1, definitely could've though. Jesse Modahl and Aaron Degerness played @ UW River Falls - D3. Mark Fabian played college football @ Valley City state. The rest played junior hockey in the USHL except for the back up goalie and 1 4th liner. So, that makes 7 D1 guys, pretty good team.
Isn't that 8 D1 guys plus one professional (so, really it's 9 :shock: )--Bemidji is D1... One of the guys that played in the USHL, Josh Grahn, might have been able to snare a D1 commitment, if he had made hockey a higher priority... Regardless, that was an awesome team--perhaps the best Rams team ever.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:22 pm

76-77, Broten, Broten, Erickson, Stone, Burgraff, Burgraff...some pretty high level talent there..must be close to 500 nhl goals..

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:26 pm

When it comes to D1 guys the 76-77 Edina be tops..
Bjerken,Hampson,Pearson, Kelly,Hampson,Tewilliger,Donnelly,Brown,Pepper,and I believe 3 others but I'm getting to old to remember..same team that lost to Rochester..they had 5 or 6 as well.

BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:22 am

5th Line Center wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote:
Isn't that 8 D1 guys plus one professional (so, really it's 9 :shock: )--Bemidji is D1... One of the guys that played in the USHL, Josh Grahn, might have been able to snare a D1 commitment, if he had made hockey a higher priority... Regardless, that was an awesome team--perhaps the best Rams team ever.
That's correct, I failed my math test for the day. Very good team, Matt Erickson had an offer from UCONN as well, there was a lot of talent on that team. Those kids played together ever since they were mites, they were a fun team to watch. A Puma Grahn reference is always great to see as well! :lol:

5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:43 am

keepyourheadup wrote:When it comes to D1 guys the 76-77 Edina be tops..
Bjerken,Hampson,Pearson, Kelly,Hampson,Tewilliger,Donnelly,Brown,Pepper,and I believe 3 others but I'm getting to old to remember..same team that lost to Rochester..they had 5 or 6 as well.
Those Edina teams in the late 70's were very good and John Marshall wasn't a push-over, either.

I still think the 99 Rams were a bit more impressive. In the 70's there weren't so many folks coming here from across "the pond" (Europe) to play D1 hockey and pro. So, there was less competition for Minnnesota boys for spots on the rosters of D1 schools. I suppose the argument could be made that more boys were coming down from Canada to play college hockey in those days...