which roseau team is the best this year?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

just curious on those that would have an opinion which roseau team is the best this year?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:52 pm

highshool
81%
bantams
5%
peewee
14%

Total votes: 21

5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 am

BERG RENOLZ wrote:
5th Line Center wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote:
5th Line Center wrote:Having six D1 players come from one team is rare but not unheard of. I need to count them, but I am thinking that the '99 Rams State Championship team had more than six guys that went on to play D1 or pro. Let's see...there was Josh Olson, Luke Erickson, Eric Fabian, a couple of Klemas, Jake Brandt, Derrick Byfuglien... I think I am missing someone...
That's almost correct: Luke Erickson (Bemidji State), Eric Fabian, Jake Brandt, and Derrick Byfuglien (UND), Mike Klema and Nathan Berry(Yale), Dave Klema (BU), and Ross Miller (AFA). Josh Olson went pro, didn't play D1, definitely could've though. Jesse Modahl and Aaron Degerness played @ UW River Falls - D3. Mark Fabian played college football @ Valley City state. The rest played junior hockey in the USHL except for the back up goalie and 1 4th liner. So, that makes 7 D1 guys, pretty good team.
Isn't that 8 D1 guys plus one professional (so, really it's 9 :shock: )--Bemidji is D1... One of the guys that played in the USHL, Josh Grahn, might have been able to snare a D1 commitment, if he had made hockey a higher priority... Regardless, that was an awesome team--perhaps the best Rams team ever.
That's correct, I failed my math test for the day. Very good team, Matt Erickson had an offer from UCONN as well, there was a lot of talent on that team. Those kids played together ever since they were mites, they were a fun team to watch. A Puma Grahn reference is always great to see as well! :lol:
Well, I had get to a word in for "Puma" Grahn, as you call him. He was a solid player and I thought he still had a lot of untapped potential in him, when he decided to hang 'em up. He is a good, well-grounded kid--someone that is easy to cheer for.

oldram

Which Roseau team is best

Post by oldram » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:14 am

76-77 Roseau only had 1 Burggraff, Frank. Mike graduated in '75. Still an awesome team.

Less competition for the D1 back in the late 70's? There were far less D1 teams. Now just in Minnesota alone you have UMD, MN, Bemidji, St. Cloud, Mankato, and just across the Red River, UND.

The entire WCHA was only UND, MN, UMD, WI, MI Tech, Denver and CC. The players who made D1 back then were something to watch.

How many Hobey Baker winners have made the impact in the NHL that the first Hobey Baker winner made?

5th Line Center

Re: Which Roseau team is best

Post by 5th Line Center » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:46 am

oldram wrote:76-77 Roseau only had 1 Burggraff, Frank. Mike graduated in '75. Still an awesome team.

Less competition for the D1 back in the late 70's? There were far less D1 teams. Now just in Minnesota alone you have UMD, MN, Bemidji, St. Cloud, Mankato, and just across the Red River, UND.

The entire WCHA was only UND, MN, UMD, WI, MI Tech, Denver and CC. The players who made D1 back then were something to watch.

How many Hobey Baker winners have made the impact in the NHL that the first Hobey Baker winner made?
Well God broke the mold when He created Neal Broten. There have been few Minnesotans that have been able to match his skills. I wish he would have played at least another year or two...

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:30 pm

was a huge fan of that team, I believe they played Edina in the first round at state and were beaten by the afore mentioned Edina team..8-5 if I recall, probably more great players in that game than any other High school game I ever witnessed.

Ram Hockey

Post by Ram Hockey » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:01 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:was a huge fan of that team, I believe they played Edina in the first round at state and were beaten by the afore mentioned Edina team..8-5 if I recall, probably more great players in that game than any other High school game I ever witnessed.
The Rams were beaten by Edina East 2-0 in the quarter-final that year. I remember it very well. I very sad day if you were a Ram fan even if you were only 10 years old at the time.

gatzke

Post by gatzke » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:40 pm

it does look very promising for the future of roseau hockey, IF the kids don't screw it up.

the Rams varsity between their championships in '00 and '07 had some of the worst years in Roseau history, yet when that same group of kids were in youth hockey they routinly went to regions and were one of the top contenders to go to state.

point being. alot can happen in the next four or five years. kids move out, lose interest, certain 'extra cirricular' activities. so they may be great now, but that doesnt mean they'll be great in five years

5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:45 pm

gatzke wrote:it does look very promising for the future of roseau hockey, IF the kids don't screw it up.

the Rams varsity between their championships in '00 and '07 had some of the worst years in Roseau history, yet when that same group of kids were in youth hockey they routinly went to regions and were one of the top contenders to go to state.

point being. alot can happen in the next four or five years. kids move out, lose interest, certain 'extra cirricular' activities. so they may be great now, but that doesnt mean they'll be great in five years
Yeah, during those lean years in the early 00's, the Rams really could have used Dustin Byfuglien and Casey Stahlberg(spelling?).