Weakest section in single A?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

It's been said before, many times, that 1A should be a whale of a sectional playoff with the pre-season favorites being AL, Mankato West, Red Wing, New Prague & Lourdes (in no particular order). Northfield & Faribault should round out the top 7 seeds and could very well be in the mix come February. Waseca, Austin, LaCrescent, Mankato East & LeSueur/St. Peter will be looking to be the spoilers.

The bias on this board comes from AL & West being in the old section 1A - which never got much respect statewide due to the perceived weakness of that section - but believe me, they'll be legitimate contenders in 1A this year. Whoever comes out of 1A this year has a good shot at making some noise at the X.

If I'm not mistaken, and somebody from the old section 1A (davey? jackstraw?) would probably be able to confirm this, but that section has had some success at the X. Maybe even .500 over the last 3-4 years?
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

nickel slots wrote:It's been said before, many times, that 1A should be a whale of a sectional playoff with the pre-season favorites being AL, Mankato West, Red Wing, New Prague & Lourdes (in no particular order). Northfield & Faribault should round out the top 7 seeds and could very well be in the mix come February. Waseca, Austin, LaCrescent, Mankato East & LeSueur/St. Peter will be looking to be the spoilers.

The bias on this board comes from AL & West being in the old section 1A - which never got much respect statewide due to the perceived weakness of that section - but believe me, they'll be legitimate contenders in 1A this year. Whoever comes out of 1A this year has a good shot at making some noise at the X.

If I'm not mistaken, and somebody from the old section 1A (davey? jackstraw?) would probably be able to confirm this, but that section has had some success at the X. Maybe even .500 over the last 3-4 years?
Last 3 years
4-4 (With consolation bracket)
0-3 (First round)

Last 4 years
5-6 (With consolation bracket)
0-4 (First round)

EDIT
They haven't won a game at the X in the last 4 years, to me, that's not much success there at all.
The U invented swagger.
jackstraw

1A-3A

Post by jackstraw »

The 1A rep at state in 3 of the last 4 years (AL), has a cumulative record of 4-5, not bad. I also remember last year's Sec. 1A tourney when one of this years 1A teams played both Marshall and NU, perhaps someone could enlighten us on the scores of those games? For what it's worth, NU should be the favorite out of 3A this year and in my opinion will be a very descent team.
davey

Re: 1A-3A

Post by davey »

jackstraw wrote:The 1A rep at state in 3 of the last 4 years (AL), has a cumulative record of 4-5, not bad. I also remember last year's Sec. 1A tourney when one of this years 1A teams played both Marshall and NU, perhaps someone could enlighten us on the scores of those games? For what it's worth, NU should be the favorite out of 3A this year and in my opinion will be a very descent team.
Jackstraw, you know very well the score of AL beating both marshall and NU. Why don't you tell us since I do not remember the exact scores but neither game was close if i remember right. I also believe NU will have a very good chance of coming out of 1A. Couple of very good D-men that any team would like to have and some returning forwards. Big question is who will play goalie as Buegler was a large part of their success last year.
Goldy Gopher

Re: 1A-3A

Post by Goldy Gopher »

jackstraw wrote:The 1A rep at state in 3 of the last 4 years (AL), has a cumulative record of 4-5, not bad. I also remember last year's Sec. 1A tourney when one of this years 1A teams played both Marshall and NU, perhaps someone could enlighten us on the scores of those games? For what it's worth, NU should be the favorite out of 3A this year and in my opinion will be a very descent team.
2007 1A Section tourney scores

Rd Date Team 1 Team 2 Score
1 220 (12) Sleepy Eye (5) Austin 1-7
1 220 (11) Fairmont (6) Luverne 1-9
1 220 (10) Redwood Valley (7) Windom 1-3
1 220 (9) Waseca (8 ) Mankato East 10-8
Q 222 (5) Austin (4) Marshall 2-3
Q 222 (6) Luverne (3) New Ulm 2 2-8
Q 222 (7) Windom (2) Mankato West 0-6
Q 222 (9) Waseca (1) Albert Lea 0-6
S 226 (3) New Ulm (2) Mankato West 5-2
S 226 (4) Marshall (1) Albert Lea 1-7
F 303 (3) New Ulm (1) Albert Lea 1-7
The U invented swagger.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

southernmnscout wrote:
flatontheice wrote:1A for sure
flatontheice, Maybe you need to check out the sections before you say something is for sure. I bet there are at least 4 teams in Section 1A that would beat the section champ from 3A.

Either know what you are saying before you go on a post rampage posting as much as possible or at least do a little research!
Simma Down Na...Southy...I only put 1A as a response because I know that these boards are circled by so many people in that section and was sure it would generate some nice explosive discussion.
tpshockey30

Post by tpshockey30 »

flatontheice wrote:
southernmnscout wrote:
flatontheice wrote:1A for sure
flatontheice, Maybe you need to check out the sections before you say something is for sure. I bet there are at least 4 teams in Section 1A that would beat the section champ from 3A.

Either know what you are saying before you go on a post rampage posting as much as possible or at least do a little research!
Simma Down Na...Southy...I only put 1A as a response because I know that these boards are circled by so many people in that section and was sure it would generate some nice explosive discussion.
You are that guy thats so high on new prague are you not? You have got to be one of the most ingorant people I kinda know!

so.minscout is rite, there are teams that would decimate teams in like 3a and what not... In fact, I myself would enjoy playing some more single A teams from around the state, so I can adequately say that we are not the weakest section in the state...
Bhindthemask

Post by Bhindthemask »

Earlier I stated that Marshall and NU would be competetive against the top 1A teams but I may have to reconsider. NU losing Buegler is huge, he is a fantastic goalie. 1A's best last year? They will obviously miss him. As for Marshall they lost a lot of fire power and also a good goalie if I'm not mistaken. Marshall outshot a lot of their opponents last year in games that they did lose, so now whos gonna bring it home for them.
tpshockey30

Post by tpshockey30 »

Bhindthemask wrote:Earlier I stated that Marshall and NU would be competetive against the top 1A teams but I may have to reconsider. NU losing Buegler is huge, he is a fantastic goalie. 1A's best last year? They will obviously miss him. As for Marshall they lost a lot of fire power and also a good goalie if I'm not mistaken. Marshall outshot a lot of their opponents last year in games that they did lose, so now whos gonna bring it home for them.

Well they lost some good PLAYERS, but no, their goaltending was average to bad most games, but they did beat most teams
powerplay009

Post by powerplay009 »

Marshall and NU are both favorites to come out of 3A as well as Willmar but I dont know much about them. Marshall has a solid goalie returning which split time last year and has had good experience at the varsity level and Marshall is also returning there leading scorer from last year. They'll have to get a lot of scoring from the top line if they want to go anywhere. On the other hand NU is returning a good core group of forwards and Burgau at defense and NU will never quit. Big question for them is goaltending as they have no goalie with any varsity experience. It should be a fun year watching Sections 1 and 3 as there will be many teams in the mix
cribbageguy

Post by cribbageguy »

without viewing all the schedules from the teams in this section, does any team in this section play a team during the season that resembles a state tournment caliber team?
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

cribbageguy wrote:without viewing all the schedules from the teams in this section, does any team in this section play a team during the season that resembles a state tournment caliber team?
Willmar plays Small Falls and Brainerd twice. LDC plays St. Cloud Cathedral twice. Hutchinson plays Holy Angles twice.
The U invented swagger.