Best players since 2000

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Lordosis

Post by Lordosis »

Goldy Gopher wrote:Brady Hjelle
Kent Patterson
Goldy...The Cedar Rapids combo of goaltenders is impressive for a Junior A roster, but not anywhere near the the top of the best players since 2000.

The best player from Minnesota never to play a High School game is Dustin Byfuglien.... Funny how leaving Roseau was the best thing ever for the kid!
pioneerhockey12

Post by pioneerhockey12 »

even as a 8th and 9th grader jordan schroeder was one of the best
puckstopper

Post by puckstopper »

Goalies are hockey players too and like Fairchild , may not be as recognizable as those already mentioned. My pick is Alex Kangas. He wasn't given any credit by the Strib or PP because he was from the south, but as we shall see, the cream always rises to the top.
ColdasIce

Re: post 8412

Post by ColdasIce »

newsguy35 wrote:
boblee wrote:How about Cade Fairchild? I could say him, but since he only played @ East through his sophomore year a lot of people would not be familiar with him.
uhhh... he is alright but wasnt that impressed with him with the US U18 team... He is talented, dont get me wrong but I just wasnt that impressed...
Never should have left Duluth East, under 18 team didn't help him too much, in fact exposed weaknesses more. Cade played well last night, wish him the best at the U
breakout

Post by breakout »

pioneerhockey12 wrote:even as a 8th and 9th grader jordan schroeder was one of the best

From what I have heard, Schroeder is without question the top player on the NTDP U18 team.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Patrick White, 2 games with the Gophs 1 GW goal not a bad start!
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

What ever happened to Greg Stutz? Not only did he shut out Holy Angels, Wayzata and Moorhead in the 2004 State Tournament, but he had eleven shut outs in the regular season that year alone. OK, the Cougars had eleven shut outs that year and I guess I'm just assuming he started all those games. If not, most of them! Stutz is just one who really impressed me as well as the players already listed. Tom Gorowsky was pretty amazing too!
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

DoubleDeuce wrote:What ever happened to Greg Stutz? Not only did he shut out Holy Angels, Wayzata and Moorhead in the 2004 State Tournament, but he had eleven shut outs in the regular season that year alone. OK, the Cougars had eleven shut outs that year and I guess I'm just assuming he started all those games. If not, most of them! Stutz is just one who really impressed me as well as the players already listed. Tom Gorowsky was pretty amazing too!

I think he ended up playing junior B (Now junior A tier III) and never really went anywhere after that. He was a very solid goalie but a lot of his huge numbers that year had to do with the great defensive team that was in front of him.
The U invented swagger.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Lordosis wrote:
Kent Patterson
Goldy...The Cedar Rapids combo of goaltenders is impressive for a Junior A roster, but not anywhere near the the top of the best players since 2000.

The best player from Minnesota never to play a High School game is Dustin Byfuglien.... Funny how leaving Roseau was the best thing ever for the kid!
Name any other goalie to play HS hockey in Minnesota since 2000 that was heads and shoulders above them?

Just throwing another name out there:

Al Stalock. Handles the puck and shoots better with a goalie stick than a lot of players can with a normal stick.
The U invented swagger.
quickgym guy

Post by quickgym guy »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Lordosis wrote:
Kent Patterson

Name any other goalie to play HS hockey in Minnesota since 2000 that was heads and shoulders above them?

Just throwing another name out there:

Al Stalock. Handles the puck and shoots better with a goalie stick than a lot of players can with a normal stick.
Josh Johnson from Cloquet back in 01 - 02...
stickboy1956

Post by stickboy1956 »

breakout wrote:
pioneerhockey12 wrote:even as a 8th and 9th grader jordan schroeder was one of the best

From what I have heard, Schroeder is without question the top player on the NTDP U18 team.
He's almost as good as Danny Kristo 8)
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

stickboy1956 wrote:He's almost as good as Danny Kristo 8)
I guess the USA Hockey coaching staff saw it differently last year. :lol:
CarGuy

patrick white---fish out of water

Post by CarGuy »

speaking of great players since 2000...White as a great high school player...its only been one weekend in college...but man...he may have run out of talent....there were guys not given 1/10th of the coverage that white got in highschool that played very well this past weekend...white lookled like a fish out of water....i think he realized he willhave a big adjustment to make at the college level where allplayers are more equally matched to his talent...I for one do not expect him tobe much of a factor....he had trouble seeing the whole ice and keepingup with the speed of play,.
newsguy35

Re: patrick white---fish out of water

Post by newsguy35 »

CarGuy wrote:speaking of great players since 2000...White as a great high school player...its only been one weekend in college...but man...he may have run out of talent....there were guys not given 1/10th of the coverage that white got in highschool that played very well this past weekend...white lookled like a fish out of water....i think he realized he willhave a big adjustment to make at the college level where allplayers are more equally matched to his talent...I for one do not expect him tobe much of a factor....he had trouble seeing the whole ice and keepingup with the speed of play,.

Give him a few weeks and he will be up to snuff... He has to get used to the speed and physical play of WCHA hockey. I have faith in him and I think we need to give him some time... 3 r 4 weeks will do the trick!
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Agreed....plus picking up a goal in your first weekend of college hockey isn't so bad.
Give him some time..
Fairchild looked good as well !
Neutron 14

Re: patrick white---fish out of water

Post by Neutron 14 »

CarGuy wrote:speaking of great players since 2000...White as a great high school player...its only been one weekend in college...but man...he may have run out of talent....there were guys not given 1/10th of the coverage that white got in highschool that played very well this past weekend...white lookled like a fish out of water....i think he realized he willhave a big adjustment to make at the college level where allplayers are more equally matched to his talent...I for one do not expect him tobe much of a factor....he had trouble seeing the whole ice and keepingup with the speed of play,.
Pure TROLL. Don't bite.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
boblee

post 8420

Post by boblee »

Patrick played fine. He won 11 faceoffs and lost 10. That's not too bad. Any center over 50% is alright. He had 3 shots on goal (1.5 per game) which is very good for someone who played on the third line both nights. He scored one goal. And it was a great play. He trailed and picked a corner. He was even for the weekend. Sure, he didn't check a whole lot, but he didn't in high school. He made some very nice quick moves to give him one more second with the puck.

With all that said, Fairchild and Hoeffel probably looked a little bit better. And they both had just as much talk about them coming in. Wehrs didn't impress me and neither did Bickel, overall. They both did some things very, very well. Out of those four, Fairchild and Wehrs won't hit much. I think everyone is doing just fine. Not a lot of college freshman score on the first weekend. So let's relax and enjoy the season.
carpenterguy

Post by carpenterguy »

High school results only

G Brady Hjelle
G Alex Stalock
D Brian Lee
D RJ Anderson
D Matt Niskanen
D Ryan McDonagh
D Aaron Ness
D Brian Connelly
F Tom Gorowsky
F Patrick White
F Nico Sacchetti
F TJ Oshie
F Blake Wheeler
F Ben Gordon
F Taylor Matson
F Jay Barribal
F Gino Guyer
northwoods oldtimer

Gopher 3rd Line

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

I do not know which game Carguy was referring too but Friday nights game the Gophers 3rd line was the only line getting any decent scoring chances for a good 2 periods, they worked in tandem. The other lines were putting too much effort on individual skill, pretty common for a first game to have that. I thought White played well in his first weekend of D-1. People either like him of do not....I see why he went high in the NHL draft the kid has amazing quick release (Michigan goal)....nice skill to have at any level.

High School Best:
Gino Guyer
Andy Sertich
Ryan McDonough
Aaron Ness
SB24

Post by SB24 »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
SB24 wrote:i would say its hard to not go with tj oshie
Except for the guy that grew up 30 miles east of him; Keith Ballard.
Except that he never played in a single high school hockey game...but with that being said, i'd rank him above Dustin Byfuglien from Roseau that Lordosis mentioned.

Northwoods Oldtimer, it may be time to change your name to Northwoods Alzheimer...Ness made your list but Oshie didn't... :roll:
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008
toomanystitches

Post by toomanystitches »

The list that pops into my mind:

Jay Barriball, Holy Angels
T.J. Oshie, Warroad
Alex Goligoski, Grand Rapids
Jimmy Kilpatrick, Holy Angels
Gino Guyer, Greenway
Paul Martin, Elk River

Jordan Schroeder, STA (has any other player been all tournament as an 8th and 9th grader?)

A couple of other nice Minnesota players out of Shattuck:
Praise
Smaby
BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

SB24 wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
SB24 wrote:i would say its hard to not go with tj oshie
Except for the guy that grew up 30 miles east of him; Keith Ballard.
Except that he never played in a single high school hockey game...but with that being said, i'd rank him above Dustin Byfuglien from Roseau that Lordosis mentioned.

Northwoods Oldtimer, it may be time to change your name to Northwoods Alzheimer...Ness made your list but Oshie didn't... :roll:
I thought Keith played high school as an 8th or 9th grader in Baudette? Could be wrong, but I doubt it. :lol: If they had to play a high school game for sure, i'd have to go with Oshie, this Ness kids going to be a pretty sick player though, my bad, I guess he is already. We'll see where he's at in 2-3 years.

I agree with Lordosis about Bubba as well. Gosh you're a smart 1 Lordy! 8)
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

David Fischer because the guy made it look so easy. The best performance i've ever seen live was watching him and AV in that section semi vs. AHA. Could have left for greener pastures but stayed put. Matt Niskanen comes to mind also, 4 years as a standout in hockey and a couple other sports now getting a regular shift with the stars. Both are 2 of the best in this decade.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

I actually thought wehrs looked good last weekend, at times tried to do too much offensively but he is smooth
SB24

Post by SB24 »

BERG RENOLZ wrote:
I thought Keith played high school as an 8th or 9th grader in Baudette? Could be wrong, but I doubt it. :lol: If they had to play a high school game for sure, i'd have to go with Oshie, this Ness kids going to be a pretty sick player though, my bad, I guess he is already. We'll see where he's at in 2-3 years.

I agree with Lordosis about Bubba as well. Gosh you're a smart 1 Lordy! 8)
Nope, he was playing for the LOW Bantams in 8th and 9th grade, left for Ann Arbor in 10th grade with Wiebel i believe...
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008