Best team since 2000

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

LZ94 wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:2005 Warroad
Agree. They were phenominal, arguably could have won the AA tourney that year.
I don't care where you are from, that's funny :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

LZ94 wrote:
Too bad Warroad has a gigantic dent in it's crotch!! :lol: I agree though, great team, could've easily contended for THE state title, instead went home with the JV title. The whole town felt good about it though, so more power to em'.
breakout

Post by breakout »

BERG RENOLZ wrote:
LZ94 wrote:
Too bad Warroad has a gigantic dent in it's crotch!! :lol: I agree though, great team, could've easily contended for THE state title, instead went home with the JV title. The whole town felt good about it though, so more power to em'.

Anyone have birth rate statistics when Warroad has won state tournaments? :D
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

breakout wrote: Anyone have birth rate statistics when Warroad has won state tournaments? :D
Is this related to the "Famous Squirt" thread?
5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center »

BERG RENOLZ wrote:
5th Line Center wrote:Let's move this topic back one year--to 1999...

I would say that the '99 Roseau Rams was the best team in the past decade--or more. They may have even been better than that powerful Jefferson team from '90 or '91; I don't recall the exact year...

If I recall the numbers correctly, the Rams had 9 division I or professional players off that team and 14 that played in the USHL or higher.
You're almost right, they did have 14 guys go to the USHL. 1 pro - Josh Olson (7 games for Florida, now playing overseas). 6 D1 - Mike Klema(Yale), Dave Klema (BU), Jake Brandt (UND), Derrick Byfuglien (UND), Nathan Berry (Yale), Ross Miller (Air Force). Jesse Modahl and Aaron Degerness played for the D3 UW - River Falls. A few guys like Phil Larson, Matt Erickson, and Paul Baumgartner had offers to play in low level D1 programs & D3 programs but decided to hang them up after playing 2-3 years of junior hockey. Mark Fabian played QB at Valley City State for 4 years, he's another one who definitely could've played junior hockey at least. Anyway, definitely a great team, IMO, the best team to ever come out of Roseau. Those guys were on a mission after they lost early in the year in Coleraine, very dominant after that. Chris Harrington of Gopher fame rung one off the post in overtime of the section final, so the Rams almost didn't even make it to the cities that year, but did roll through the tournament pretty handily.
I think you are forgetting a couple D1 players from that team (and current ECHL players--I think Roseau has three guys on the Pensacola team)--Luke Erickson(Bemidji St.--all-time leading scorer?) and Eric Fabian (UND). So, that should make 9 D1/pro guys.

'99 Rams probably the best ever! Thank God Apollo didn't get that upset victory in the sectional finals! (Too bad for them, though, because it was probably Apollo's best team ever, as well...)
ImissMYhockey

Post by ImissMYhockey »

what about hill 2005-2006. they had hoeffel, larson, phillippi, mccallum, Guentzel, Arrigoni. Final record of 27-3-1. I thought they were quite dominant untill there choke in the state tourney.
BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

5th Line Center wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote:
5th Line Center wrote:Let's move this topic back one year--to 1999...

I would say that the '99 Roseau Rams was the best team in the past decade--or more. They may have even been better than that powerful Jefferson team from '90 or '91; I don't recall the exact year...

If I recall the numbers correctly, the Rams had 9 division I or professional players off that team and 14 that played in the USHL or higher.
You're almost right, they did have 14 guys go to the USHL. 1 pro - Josh Olson (7 games for Florida, now playing overseas). 6 D1 - Mike Klema(Yale), Dave Klema (BU), Jake Brandt (UND), Derrick Byfuglien (UND), Nathan Berry (Yale), Ross Miller (Air Force). Jesse Modahl and Aaron Degerness played for the D3 UW - River Falls. A few guys like Phil Larson, Matt Erickson, and Paul Baumgartner had offers to play in low level D1 programs & D3 programs but decided to hang them up after playing 2-3 years of junior hockey. Mark Fabian played QB at Valley City State for 4 years, he's another one who definitely could've played junior hockey at least. Anyway, definitely a great team, IMO, the best team to ever come out of Roseau. Those guys were on a mission after they lost early in the year in Coleraine, very dominant after that. Chris Harrington of Gopher fame rung one off the post in overtime of the section final, so the Rams almost didn't even make it to the cities that year, but did roll through the tournament pretty handily.
I think you are forgetting a couple D1 players from that team (and current ECHL players--I think Roseau has three guys on the Pensacola team)--Luke Erickson(Bemidji St.--all-time leading scorer?) and Eric Fabian (UND). So, that should make 9 D1/pro guys.

'99 Rams probably the best ever! Thank God Apollo didn't get that upset victory in the sectional finals! (Too bad for them, though, because it was probably Apollo's best team ever, as well...)
That's right, forgot about the 4th liners that year. Sorry about that. Luke, Eric, and Derrick Byfuglien are all playing for Pensacola this year, that's right.

Anyway, i agree with you on the greatness of that team. Luke and Eric would've probably been 1st or 2nd liners for most anyone else in the state, instead they barely saw the ice.
Lordosis

Post by Lordosis »

BERG RENOLZ wrote:
5th Line Center wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote: You're almost right, they did have 14 guys go to the USHL. 1 pro - Josh Olson (7 games for Florida, now playing overseas). 6 D1 - Mike Klema(Yale), Dave Klema (BU), Jake Brandt (UND), Derrick Byfuglien (UND), Nathan Berry (Yale), Ross Miller (Air Force). Jesse Modahl and Aaron Degerness played for the D3 UW - River Falls. A few guys like Phil Larson, Matt Erickson, and Paul Baumgartner had offers to play in low level D1 programs & D3 programs but decided to hang them up after playing 2-3 years of junior hockey. Mark Fabian played QB at Valley City State for 4 years, he's another one who definitely could've played junior hockey at least. Anyway, definitely a great team, IMO, the best team to ever come out of Roseau. Those guys were on a mission after they lost early in the year in Coleraine, very dominant after that. Chris Harrington of Gopher fame rung one off the post in overtime of the section final, so the Rams almost didn't even make it to the cities that year, but did roll through the tournament pretty handily.

That's right, forgot about the 4th liners that year. Sorry about that. Luke, Eric, and Derrick Byfuglien are all playing for Pensacola this year, that's right.

Anyway, i agree with you on the greatness of that team. Luke and Eric would've probably been 1st or 2nd liners for most anyone else in the state, instead they barely saw the ice.
What about Bobby John Byfuglien. He played in the OHL, so does that make him a pro as well? I would say it does since he got paid and didn't have amatuer status for college hockey. Berg, you must have had too much time starring down the 30 pointer and forgot your history!
BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

Lordosis wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote:
5th Line Center wrote: I think you are forgetting a couple D1 players from that team (and current ECHL players--I think Roseau has three guys on the Pensacola team)--Luke Erickson(Bemidji St.--all-time leading scorer?) and Eric Fabian (UND). So, that should make 9 D1/pro guys.

What about Bobby John Byfuglien. He played in the OHL, so does that make him a pro as well? I would say it does since he got paid and didn't have amatuer status for college hockey. Berg, you must have had too much time starring down the 30 pointer and forgot your history!
Bobby John doesn't count since he sucked! :lol: Actually i didn't realize he played in the OHL. How long did that last? 2 weeks? That kid should've amounted to something. don't you think? I mean he had the size and some somewhat decent skill. Did it all come down to him just being soft? I want to hear Lordosis's explanation on the rise and fall of the great one known as Bobby John Byfuglien? I mean if we all listened to his old man, shouldn't we all be in shock that he isn't in the big show right now? If anyone knows the answer to this, it should be you Lordosis! I know you've been inside Bobby at least once or twice! :P
Lordosis

Post by Lordosis »

BERG RENOLZ wrote:
Lordosis wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote: That's right, forgot about the 4th liners that year. Sorry about that. Luke, Eric, and Derrick Byfuglien are all playing for Pensacola this year, that's right.

Bobby John doesn't count since he sucked! :lol: Actually i didn't realize he played in the OHL. How long did that last? 2 weeks? That kid should've amounted to something. don't you think? I mean he had the size and some somewhat decent skill. Did it all come down to him just being soft? I want to hear Lordosis's explanation on the rise and fall of the great one known as Bobby John Byfuglien? I mean if we all listened to his old man, shouldn't we all be in shock that he isn't in the big show right now? If anyone knows the answer to this, it should be you Lordosis! I know you've been inside Bobby at least once or twice! :P
Stats for Bobby compliments of Hockeydb.com

2000-01 Lincoln Stars USHL 6 0 0 0 12 -- -- -- -- --
2000-01 Erie Otters OHL 37 0 2 2 31 13 0 0 0 2

Looks like the passion faded after High School. I'm pretty sure he had more elegibility left to play more Junior Hockey, but obviously chose not to. I believe he is in Vet School. Gotta give up the dream one day right?
5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center »

Lordosis wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote:
Lordosis wrote: What about Bobby John Byfuglien. He played in the OHL, so does that make him a pro as well? I would say it does since he got paid and didn't have amatuer status for college hockey. Berg, you must have had too much time starring down the 30 pointer and forgot your history!
Stats for Bobby compliments of Hockeydb.com

2000-01 Lincoln Stars USHL 6 0 0 0 12 -- -- -- -- --
2000-01 Erie Otters OHL 37 0 2 2 31 13 0 0 0 2

Looks like the passion faded after High School. I'm pretty sure he had more elegibility left to play more Junior Hockey, but obviously chose not to. I believe he is in Vet School. Gotta give up the dream one day right?
Hey, If Bobby John is in Vet school that is great! It takes lot of hard work--long hours of study--to get that degree. Pretty hard to look down on a guy with that kind of determination. And, yes there is life after hockey! 8)
wishock

Post by wishock »

Vet school? He's really shooting for the top.