Tinted Face Mask?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hock3y07

Tinted Face Mask?

Post by Hock3y07 »

Does anyone know the rules on having a tinted shield?
i was thinking about tinting one?
theref

Re: Tinted Face Mask?

Post by theref »

Hock3y07 wrote:Does anyone know the rules on having a tinted shield?
as far as I know ther are illegal.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Why?
CarGuy

Post by CarGuy »

yes, a police officer has tobe able to see through the shield without a flashlight when standing 5 feet away...oh wait, thats window tint on cars....why the hell would you want a tinted face mask? are you one of those players that is more concered about how you look than how you play? or is there a reason for it?
Can't Never Tried

theref wrote:
Again, Why are they illegal? what's the problem with it?
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
theref wrote:
If you get knocked out, it makes it difficult for trainers to check your eyes without removing your helmet and potentially aggravating a neck injury.

The NFL outlaws them as well, but a few players (LT for example) have waivers if they suffer from migraines and the lights can trigger them.
Last edited by Govs93 on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
three_pac_shakur

Post by three_pac_shakur »

if you are planning on wearing a tinted mask, you better also plan on being good enough to be Mr. Hockey, however, even if you were that good, it would still be a dumb idea.
theref

Post by theref »

Thanks Govs for covering it for me. It does involve being able to see a players eyes. For injury situations but also to be able to react to a player at times. I believe the same rule applies to high school football players that use the plastic shield in their helmets. Bottom line, other players and officials need to be able to see the players eyes.
Can't Never Tried

Govs93 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
theref wrote: as far as I know ther are illegal.
If you get knocked out, it makes it difficult for trainers to check your eyes without removing your helmet and potentially aggravating a neck injury.
Mehhh! Maybe it does make sense, but you can just unsnap it. I'm not saying it's a good idea or even cool, but illegal? man it would make it tough to read the opponents eyes!
theref

Post by theref »

And having an opened palmed glove would make stickhandling easier too, but it's still illegal.

:)
Can't Never Tried

theref wrote:And having an opened palmed glove would make stickhandling easier too, but it's still illegal.

:)
Boy you guys let that go a lot :lol: geez how many kids out there have gloves so worn they coulds be elbow pads?
Can't Never Tried

theref wrote:Thanks Govs for covering it for me. It does involve being able to see a players eyes. For injury situations but also to be able to react to a player at times. I believe the same rule applies to high school football players that use the plastic shield in their helmets. Bottom line, other players and officials need to be able to see the players eyes.
Why does a ref need to see a players eyes ? it's not like they're actually going to try and get out of the way :P
pucknstick10

Post by pucknstick10 »

I am pretty sure they are illegal in MN football because they give you an advantage over the opposition if they can't see your eyes. I would imagine that hockey would have the same rules.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

It has nothing to do with gaining an advantage.

In case of a head injury, you want to see the pupils react to light (a basic brain function) Obviously taking off a helmet would not be wise as any movement of the neck could potentially be dangerous and lead to permanent injury. You can, in football at least, wear tinted glasses because they can be removed quickly without moving the head.
theref

Post by theref »

goldy313 wrote:It has nothing to do with gaining an advantage.

In case of a head injury, you want to see the pupils react to light (a basic brain function) Obviously taking off a helmet would not be wise as any movement of the neck could potentially be dangerous and lead to permanent injury. You can, in football at least, wear tinted glasses because they can be removed quickly without moving the head.
I had to ask one of my buddies that refs football on this one, but he did tell me that tinted shields are illegal in football as well, at least at the high school level. And no it doesn't have anything to do with an advantage, but it isn't based soley on an injured players situation.
eagle4life9

Post by eagle4life9 »

yeah tinted shields are illegal in both football and hockey. i had one last year for football and only got away with wearing it in 2 games, all the other ones the refs made me take it off before kickoff
power92

Post by power92 »

And apparently it doesn't matter if you have a Dr.'s note. The refs do not have to allow it.
I saw that happen this season.

And in L.T's case (if that is his reason for wearing one), you'd think the repeated shots to the head might be the cause of the migranes, not the sun or lights. :P
....Can't thank you enough for the time.
boblee

post 8455

Post by boblee »

You can do a yellow tint, but that's it.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

power92 wrote:And apparently it doesn't matter if you have a Dr.'s note. The refs do not have to allow it.
I saw that happen this season.

And in L.T's case (if that is his reason for wearing one), you'd think the repeated shots to the head might be the cause of the migranes, not the sun or lights. :P
I always found it a little odd that light was LT's biggest problem as well, but I guess when you have cake that guy does, you can get your doctor to claim whatever you want.:lol:
Hock3y07

Post by Hock3y07 »

Mehhh! Maybe it does make sense, but you can just unsnap it. I'm not saying it's a good idea or even cool, but illegal? man it would make it tough to read the opponents eyes!
thats exactly what i was thinking. it would make it hard for goalies and defenders to read your eyes. plus it would look cool 8) haha.[/quote]
hock9476

Post by hock9476 »

Why would you ever tint your helmet. High school goilies dont read players eyes they watch the puck. They should however whatch the eyes sometime but its just not happening at this level..
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

hock9476 wrote:Why would you ever tint your helmet. High school goilies dont read players eyes they watch the puck. They should however whatch the eyes sometime but its just not happening at this level..
Why would you ever want a goalie to take his eyes off the puck?
The U invented swagger.
newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 »

hock9476 wrote:Why would you ever tint your helmet. High school goilies dont read players eyes they watch the puck. They should however whatch the eyes sometime but its just not happening at this level..
Biggest mistake ever is watching a players eyes... You never ever ever take your eyes off of 2 things, the players hips and the puck.

The hips tell you where he is going. When making a move a player can shift every body part on him other than the belt line, just like in football. You tell a goalie to watch this with his periferal (sp) if possible but they should always have their eyes on the puck... I certainly hope that you dont teach your goaltenders to look up at their eyes, it would be a major mistake and prolly cost you quite a few goals.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

In the NFHS rulebook section 4 Article 2 there is reference to wearing a helmet with facemask and dental guard, helmet must be securely fastened, must wear glove and skates.

Article 5 states that the the helmet and mask must meet HECC/ASTM standards.

Article 1 note A says that equipment can't be modified (cut breezer, ear guards removed, cutting mask wires, palms of gloves cut etc).

Article 4 will be interesting... dental guards properly inserted in the mouth. That means they must be WORN IN THE MOUTH and not just hanging from the mask.

There is nothing in any of these rules that says anything about tinted shields. My take is that you couldn't tint your own shield because that would violate article 1. I asked several refs that went to the Owatonna rules interpretation meeting and there was no mention of tinted mask. Their instructor was the NFHS section 5 (MN, ND, SD, NB, KS, MS) rules committee member.

I think if I was in high school I would wear aviator glasses 8) just to be cool. :wink:
theref

Post by theref »

Rocket78 wrote:In the NFHS rulebook section 4 Article 2 there is reference to wearing a helmet with facemask and dental guard, helmet must be securely fastened, must wear glove and skates.

Article 5 states that the the helmet and mask must meet HECC/ASTM standards.

Article 1 note A says that equipment can't be modified (cut breezer, ear guards removed, cutting mask wires, palms of gloves cut etc).

Article 4 will be interesting... dental guards properly inserted in the mouth. That means they must be WORN IN THE MOUTH and not just hanging from the mask.

There is nothing in any of these rules that says anything about tinted shields. My take is that you couldn't tint your own shield because that would violate article 1. I asked several refs that went to the Owatonna rules interpretation meeting and there was no mention of tinted mask. Their instructor was the NFHS section 5 (MN, ND, SD, NB, KS, MS) rules committee member.

I think if I was in high school I would wear aviator glasses 8) just to be cool. :wink:
Just because there was no mention of tinted shields at the meeting doesn't mean that it's legal. As I have said and will state again, they are not legal unless clear or yellow as Boblee posted above.