Overdrive Blade system

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

LovetheGlove1

Overdrive Blade system

Post by LovetheGlove1 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:01 pm

Hey I just wanted to start a discussion about the overdrive blade system for goaltenders. Here is the website check it out. www.overdriveblade.com

It is Illegal for goaltenders to use this in USA hockey, NHL, High School.

It is only legal in the Canadian Hockey League..

My point to make this innovative system legal is that, players are getting more advanced sticks, skates and what not every year to help them score more goals. We all know that the new USA hockey and NHL goalie pad rules are to make it so there is more goals, hence more excitement. But what i dont get is that the players are having to less and less work to score a goal, and goalies are having to do more and more work to make a save. I think that it is just as exciting to see a goalie making spectatcular saves left and right. This system helps the goaltenders ability to move laterally and edge better. If this was legal we would be seeing alot more games that are tight games, like 1-0, 0-0 , and making that last goal count, instead of the games that are 6-5, 7-3, and what not.
All I am saying is that this product is one of the biggest goaltending innovations in the 21st century. You can keep making it harder and harder for us goalies, and make it easier and easier for the "average" player to score on any goalie. Not saying that players dont have talent anymore, there are many amazing players out there, but if we didnt limit our goaltenders as much as we do, the true skilled players will shine through with their amazing goals and what not.

sorry about going on a bit of a rant about lol

tell me what you think about this issue

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:33 pm

thanks for providing the information.
Extremely interesting concept - makes sense considering how goalies move, shift weight and balance themselves
fighting all who rob or plunder

LovetheGlove1

Post by LovetheGlove1 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:06 am

tomASS wrote:thanks for providing the information.
Extremely interesting concept - makes sense considering how goalies move, shift weight and balance themselves
yea it is a very good product i hear, and i was going to buy one until i heard they were illegal.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:12 am

LovetheGlove1 wrote:
tomASS wrote:thanks for providing the information.
yea it is a very good product i hear, and i was going to buy one until i heard they were illegal.
They don't benefit the goalie that much and they certainally wouldn't do nearly enough to turn a 6-5 game into a 1-0 game.
The U invented swagger.

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:29 am

Goldy Gopher wrote: They don't benefit the goalie that much and they certainally wouldn't do nearly enough to turn a 6-5 game into a 1-0 game.
So goldy, to gain understanding of your statement; since they don't give the goalie that much of an advantage then they should be allowed for use? Or are you saying that the product itself is not that effective?

Do you know anyone that has tried these? I'm being serious, because every new hockey product has their marketing "claims" of being the next item to change the way the game is played.

To me the concept is interesting - however when I went on the web site I did not see any big name goalies say WOW! only goalies that seemed to have tried the product and dissappeared from the face of the earth

Of course it is all moot since they are not allowed in US hockey.

theref

Post by theref » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:10 pm

My only arguement is that while players sticks and skates and equipment has gotten better, so has goaltenders. Goaltenders equipment has gotten so much lighter, pads have been created with different materials to deaden rebounds, and the break in time for gloves is a lot less, much like players gloves.

However, players have not been allowed to add pieces to their equipment to give them an edge. This product sounds like it is a seperate piece of gear allowing goaltenders to move easier.

I think goalies are awesome and they have a tough job, but allowing equipment that helps to even the field of goaltenders and their ability to move is not a good idea. Some goalies move better than others because they put the work in, thus making them better. This almost sounds like it is taking some of the work out and helping goaltenders with their balance and shifting weight instead of practicing to gain those attributes.

Why should a piece of equipment be allowed when enables an average goaile to move as well as an above average or even a great goaltender.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:51 pm

tomASS wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote: They don't benefit the goalie that much and they certainally wouldn't do nearly enough to turn a 6-5 game into a 1-0 game.
So goldy, to gain understanding of your statement; since they don't give the goalie that much of an advantage then they should be allowed for use? Or are you saying that the product itself is not that effective?

Do you know anyone that has tried these? I'm being serious, because every new hockey product has their marketing "claims" of being the next item to change the way the game is played.

To me the concept is interesting - however when I went on the web site I did not see any big name goalies say WOW! only goalies that seemed to have tried the product and dissappeared from the face of the earth

Of course it is all moot since they are not allowed in US hockey.
I'm saying the product itself isn't that effective. I used them for about a year and when I got a new pair of skates I didn't bother to get them transfered onto the new pair. I didn't notice any difference. Graf goalie skates have them built right into the boot.
The U invented swagger.

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:57 pm

Goldy - thank you good to know. That's what I was looking

tpshockey30

Post by tpshockey30 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:54 pm

first of all, ya you players are getting composite sticks and junk, and pretty soon us ( goal tenders ) will have smaller leg pads! What, do you forwards and D men have trouble scoring? Personally, i think it makes the goalie more mobile, and ya i looked into getting the overdrive system, but since its " illegal" ill just put them on my old skates, and see if it makes a difference, should make um legal at least in H.S... LONG RUN ON SENTENCES ARE MY SPEACIALTY.

LovetheGlove1

Post by LovetheGlove1 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:16 am

theref wrote:My only arguement is that while players sticks and skates and equipment has gotten better, so has goaltenders. Goaltenders equipment has gotten so much lighter, pads have been created with different materials to deaden rebounds, and the break in time for gloves is a lot less, much like players gloves.

However, players have not been allowed to add pieces to their equipment to give them an edge. This product sounds like it is a seperate piece of gear allowing goaltenders to move easier.

I think goalies are awesome and they have a tough job, but allowing equipment that helps to even the field of goaltenders and their ability to move is not a good idea. Some goalies move better than others because they put the work in, thus making them better. This almost sounds like it is taking some of the work out and helping goaltenders with their balance and shifting weight instead of practicing to gain those attributes.

Why should a piece of equipment be allowed when enables an average goaile to move as well as an above average or even a great goaltender.
Thats a good argument, but my only thing is that either they should be allowed to be added on, because of all the measurement decreases the goaltenders have had on their pads. or they companies should start adding them on to the boot stock (graf is starting to do it), therefore being legal, it would not be an "Add-on the creates undue assistants"--that is along the lines of the rule for USA Hockey

formerly7aafan

Post by formerly7aafan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:52 am

"My point to make this innovative system legal is that, players are getting more advanced sticks, skates and what not every year to help them score more goals. We all know that the new USA hockey and NHL goalie pad rules are to make it so there is more goals, hence more excitement. But what i dont get is that the players are having to less and less work to score a goal, and goalies are having to do more and more work to make a save. I think that it is just as exciting to see a goalie making spectatcular saves left and right. This system helps the goaltenders ability to move laterally and edge better. If this was legal we would be seeing alot more games that are tight games, like 1-0, 0-0 , and making that last goal count, instead of the games that are 6-5, 7-3, and what not. "

Anyone check the stats for the top 10 NHL goalies this year?? The leading goalie is at 1.1 after 9 games...after giving up 10 goals in 9 games. How about the USHL?? I know it is early, but the leading goalie there is at 1.5. No goalie in the USHL has finished below 2 in the last 4 years. To me it seems like the goalie stats have become sickly low even with the "supposedly" offensive changes the past couple of years. Even in NCAA the goals are down. In the 9 games in Hockey East and the WCHA last night, there were a total of 41 goals, or 4.5 scored a game....TOTAL. IMHO, youth and HS goalie stats in the past few years have made a mockery of almost all goalie stats from years previous.

LovetheGlove1

Post by LovetheGlove1 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:18 pm

formerly7aafan wrote:"My point to make this innovative system legal is that, players are getting more advanced sticks, skates and what not every year to help them score more goals. We all know that the new USA hockey and NHL goalie pad rules are to make it so there is more goals, hence more excitement. But what i dont get is that the players are having to less and less work to score a goal, and goalies are having to do more and more work to make a save. I think that it is just as exciting to see a goalie making spectatcular saves left and right. This system helps the goaltenders ability to move laterally and edge better. If this was legal we would be seeing alot more games that are tight games, like 1-0, 0-0 , and making that last goal count, instead of the games that are 6-5, 7-3, and what not. "

Anyone check the stats for the top 10 NHL goalies this year?? The leading goalie is at 1.1 after 9 games...after giving up 10 goals in 9 games. How about the USHL?? I know it is early, but the leading goalie there is at 1.5. No goalie in the USHL has finished below 2 in the last 4 years. To me it seems like the goalie stats have become sickly low even with the "supposedly" offensive changes the past couple of years. Even in NCAA the goals are down. In the 9 games in Hockey East and the WCHA last night, there were a total of 41 goals, or 4.5 scored a game....TOTAL. IMHO, youth and HS goalie stats in the past few years have made a mockery of almost all goalie stats from years previous.

You make a good point, that is exactly why USA Hockey and the NHL are cutting down measurements on goalie pads. All im saying is that it would be nice that something this innovative that good change the way goaltending is played be made legal.

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:41 pm

I wonder how Clark the Canadian Goalie would feel about these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdf4GeT4ELA