REMOVE

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Vinceburg

REMOVE

Post by Vinceburg » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:24 pm

REMOVE
Last edited by Vinceburg on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goldy Gopher

Re: Eveleth-Gilbert Golden Bears--What happened??

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Vinceburg wrote:I play for the Bears, but have always wondered why we have become what we are today. We used to be a machine, I mean seriously, we were dominate. What went wrong with our program?
Your small population caught up with you. There are some select schools (Roseau, Warroad) that have found a formula to produce very good teams from a very small population. You no longer have that formula.
The U invented swagger.

Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 pm

I really believe that the reason also behind this is because of parents and politics. I beleive that if Craig Homola would of stayed with the program it would of turned out alot better.

NEMN

Post by NEMN » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:40 pm

This happens when a good coach gets RAILROADED OUT BY A SMALL GROUP OF PARENTS the rest is just trickle down through the youth level without any direction, because of the merry-go-round of high school coaches. Hopefully with the New Coach (Todd Kribach) things will improve.

IRC

Post by IRC » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:53 pm

I used to play hockey for Eveleth and the reason I think that the program has gone down hill starts with the younger kids. When I was young we were at the rink every night until the rink closed. Our parents would have drag us away kicking and screaming to bring us home. I worked at the rink when I got older for about 5 years and year after year I would see less kids at the rink. I honestly think one of the biggest things about becoming a good player is being at the rink. Now the kids are just sitting at home on their computers and Playstations all day how are you supposed to get better doing that? As for the coaching situation I think that it was Homola's time to go. He was a great hockey player but an ok coach. When the Bears had Mark Johnson as the coach he was turning the program around. He was hands on and most importantly he was the kids friend they would have done anything for him. Too bad that we lost him as a coach. Everyone on here can go about him and why he left but the reason is that he was offered the principal position in his hometown. The position he was working for in his professional life so all the best luck to him if he reads this but I just hope that this year we can see some more kids down at the rink putting in the time that is where it all begins.

watchdog

a

Post by watchdog » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:22 pm

i have a good guess to this problem. i would say its because the tradition has moved out of town. i know that in roseau its alot of x hockey players raising their own hockey player. if you take that tradition out your program goes down the tubes. alot of none hockey familys (not all) dont realize what it takes to bring up good players. also when alot of traditional hockey families move out of the area you suffer in the coaching department which adds yet another factor. ive been noticeing this tread beginning in warroad over the past 5 or 6 years. the players of the past dont have kids or have moved it rips the heart out of the program.