Roseau Hockey Story

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

falcons30

Roseau Hockey Story

Post by falcons30 »

For those of you who aren't able to watch KARE11 here in the Cities, Boyd Huppert had a good report on Roseau hockey last night. YOu'll have to get through the commercial first.

Roseau Hockey on KARE11
sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 »

Seems to me Mr. Ness is worshipped as a God in Roseau :D

That's really cool how they have open hockey for the younger players and how they don't have to pay anything to play. If only every community was like that, we could create some really good hockey players.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

sicknasty7722 wrote:Seems to me Mr. Ness is worshipped as a God in Roseau :D

That's really cool how they have open hockey for the younger players and how they don't have to pay anything to play. If only every community was like that, we could create some really good hockey players.
Ness might be a tad "worshiped", but he was still pretty humble and low key, at least last year. My family was walking out of McD's and he held the door for my young kids before I could get to the door. Pretty impressive way for a tenth grader to carry himself. He was a very good student too. Hope as he develops his skills more he will contiue to carry himself well. Reminds me of Stejskal (sp?) from Grand Rapids after the tourney final. Now that was ONE impressive speech in front of 20,000 people just after suffering defeat. Two impressive young men.
Last edited by Fargo on Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 »

Any video of that speech? I'd like to see it.
eastsidehockey

Post by eastsidehockey »

stejskal (SP :? ) was a great player and great leader, very mature. This was a great clip on Roseau. Great hockey town and no wonder they compete every year b/c they offer hockey for free, wish other communities would do this.

Alot of kids join basketball b/c it is cheaper, which is fine, but younger kids should be able to play this game for free especially up north where families may tend to be unable to afford equipment and joining costs.
O-townClown

Huh?

Post by O-townClown »

eastsidehockey wrote:Alot of kids join basketball b/c it is cheaper, which is fine, but younger kids should be able to play this game for free especially up north where families may tend to be unable to afford equipment and joining costs.
So who is supposed to pay?
Fargo

Re: Huh?

Post by Fargo »

O-townClown wrote:
eastsidehockey wrote:Alot of kids join basketball b/c it is cheaper, which is fine, but younger kids should be able to play this game for free especially up north where families may tend to be unable to afford equipment and joining costs.
The taxpayers of course. They did not mention how high property taxes in Roseau are relative to the property value. When you look at that, it becomes obvious who pays.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Fargo wrote: The taxpayers of course. They did not mention how high property taxes in Roseau are relative to the property value. When you look at that, it becomes obvious who pays.
For a small town, I think Roseau has a significant corporate taxpayer in town. Polaris? Without that it is pretty hard for Crookston, Thief River, Ely, or Tower to replicate.

It sounds so quaint to say a community (or even "the entire North") should have hockey-for-free. A little hard to implement.

It is great Roseau does this. I don't think every other little burg is expected to match.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

O-townClown wrote:
Fargo wrote: The taxpayers of course. They did not mention how high property taxes in Roseau are relative to the property value. When you look at that, it becomes obvious who pays.
For a small town, I think Roseau has a significant corporate taxpayer in town. Polaris? Without that it is pretty hard for Crookston, Thief River, Ely, or Tower to replicate.

It sounds so quaint to say a community (or even "the entire North") should have hockey-for-free. A little hard to implement.

It is great Roseau does this. I don't think every other little burg is expected to match.
I think Warroad does a fairly good job in trying to replicate. Christian Bros and Marvin Windows are in town.
stickboy1956

Post by stickboy1956 »

sicknasty7722 wrote:Seems to me Mr. Ness is worshipped as a God in Roseau :D

I noticed the community built a 3rd rink instead of a dry-land training center. Don't they know that hockey is supposed to be highly structured with adult supervision at all times? Don't they realize you can't develop hockey players that way? :wink: :wink:

The game looks fun to play in Roseau - isn't that what it's all about?
RoseauWarrior

Post by RoseauWarrior »

tomASS wrote:I think Warroad does a fairly good job in trying to replicate. Christian Bros and Marvin Windows are in town.
Just Marvin Windows, I believe Christian Bros is closed. But still, you are correct, Warroad does a good job with this also.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

taxes are high here but cheap compared to most places. i live in a modest 3 bedroom home valued at 74,000 my taxes for that is 634.oo per year its not a back breaker. thats right in roseau.
SB24

Post by SB24 »

O-townClown wrote:

Thief River has a couple large corporations in town as well in Digi-Key and Arctic Cat, if a community wants to offer hockey for free it can be done, just depends on how committed the town is...
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008
61ache

Post by 61ache »

RoseauWarrior wrote:
tomASS wrote:I think Warroad does a fairly good job in trying to replicate. Christian Bros and Marvin Windows are in town.
Just Marvin Windows, I believe Christian Bros is closed. But still, you are correct, Warroad does a good job with this also.
I love how people like to talk like they know, but have no clue. Warroad also has a free hockey system, as well as Thief River Falls. Also, Memorial and North Rink are owned by the city. Ice time is bought. The school pays for practice time for high school (read tax payers) but for all youth hockey the ice time is bought by the Roseau Legion, The Roseau VFW, and sponsors.
61ache

Post by 61ache »

Fargo wrote:
O-townClown wrote:
The taxpayers of course. They did not mention how high property taxes in Roseau are relative to the property value. When you look at that, it becomes obvious who pays.
I love how people like to talk like they know, but have no clue. Warroad also has a free hockey system, as well as Thief River Falls. Also, Memorial and North Rink are owned by the city. Ice time is bought. The school pays for practice time for high school (read tax payers) but for all youth hockey the ice time is bought by the Roseau Legion, The Roseau VFW, and sponsors.[/quote]
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

61ache wrote: but for all youth hockey the ice time is bought by the Roseau Legion, The Roseau VFW, and sponsors.
Pull tabs are the main adult recreation? :shock:
O-townClown

say what

Post by O-townClown »

I don't think you have people here "posting like they know" - what you do have are people pointing out that it isn't as easy as waving a magic wand and having free hockey.

Someone has to pay for it.

Honest question here. Does Roseau field a HS basketball team?

It is great that hockey is free so many places. Props to those that make it possible. It isn't free most places, nor do I suspect it will be.

I'll spend more on gas getting to and from the rink this year than one guy pays in property taxes, which covers the share of the hockey. Pretty funny.
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

The northern communities are not the only ones strapped for cash. I live in southern Minnesota.

"Eastsidehockey" is right-on when saying that kids pick up B-ball or even wrestling long before hockey due to cost in our neck of the woods.

Hockey takes money but folks not interested in the game should not have to foot the bill just so we can introduce kids to the greatest game on earth. Sad but true, our programs in the south will continue to put out B teams (laced with our very best players) that can't compete against true B teams from up north. Tis the price one pays when work takes you away from the communities that Support (with a capitol S) the game of hockey.

If the community wants to rally behind the game, they will. If they don't, you better hire one of those high priced PR firms like the Presidential candidates have and get the support. Without it, forget it.
61ache

Re: say what

Post by 61ache »

O-townClown wrote:I don't think you have people here "posting like they know" - what you do have are people pointing out that it isn't as easy as waving a magic wand and having free hockey.

Someone has to pay for it.

Honest question here. Does Roseau field a HS basketball team?

It is great that hockey is free so many places. Props to those that make it possible. It isn't free most places, nor do I suspect it will be.

I'll spend more on gas getting to and from the rink this year than one guy pays in property taxes, which covers the share of the hockey. Pretty funny.
yes, roseau has a basketball team, a football team, a baseball team, track and field, cross country, and a few more. Ice time isn't free and the money comes from somewhere. Unluck most metro teams the cost comes from the community by way of the Legion, the VFW, corporate sponsors, donations, and our last rink (the newly rebuilt north rink) came from a burger stand run by volunteers at the roseau county fair whose profits were saved for decades to pay for the new rink in cash. It doesn't come from john q. taxpayer. Unlike the light rail the people in roseau need to pay for for some reason.
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

Whether it's relevant or not. watchdog says he's got a 3 bedroom house valued at $74K. IF he was able to pick up his house and lot(s) and move to the Central Lakes area or the Metro area the value probably goes up to $180K+. Nice lots in the area up with available water system to hook to there run 10 to 15K where the same lots go for 50K plus. It all relative. The service organization like the Legion, VFW amd JayCees have done a wonderful job in Roseau sponsoring their respective teams. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes to make hockey affordable for everyone. To answer the O-Clowns question....yes they have a BBall team with their last State tourney appearance the same year as their first Hockey title...1946. :shock:

Sorry Ache I was composing when you posted... :|
Hockey Moms are Hottest!!!
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

61, the donors of the money likely used the donations as tax deductions. This is less money received by the County/City to pay for other services. So John Q. Taxpayer always pays somehow!! just not as much in Roseau as other places. Nice program in Roseau in making it affordabel for all the kids.
hipcheck

more fre stuff

Post by hipcheck »

Roseau also has a nice 18 hole golf course in which kids under 15 play for free during certain hours of the day!
Neutron 14

Re: more fre stuff

Post by Neutron 14 »

hipcheck wrote:Roseau also has a nice 18 hole golf course in which kids under 15 play for free during certain hours of the day!
Now your just rubbing our noses in it....
finance_gal

Post by finance_gal »

so tell us more about this north rink in Roseau, the story on the news made it sound like it's open 24 hours a day everyday for open hockey...is this true? so can kids just show up anythime of the day and play hockey? something like this should be available in the cities
tomASS

Re: more fre stuff

Post by tomASS »

Neutron 14 wrote:
hipcheck wrote:Roseau also has a nice 18 hole golf course in which kids under 15 play for free during certain hours of the day!
Now your just rubbing our noses in it....

We still have free air for filling our tires at some gas stations around the TC area and that would be about it.... I think. :?