Orono

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

breakout

Post by breakout »

FYI, for those of you that are interested

Aaron's mom obit is in the strib. Hope you come out and support the young man in his time of need.

Also, you can google Star Tribune online and look up obits and find her information.

God Bless Aaron and family
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

state 06 wrote:Looks as though kicking coach ryan out has really helped out this team they are off to a lot better start than the last two years.
True, but keep in mind who they played. But don't you think test starts Thursday when they start playing real teams!

Red Wing
@Breck
Lake of the Woods
Warroad
New Prague
@Wayzata
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

MNHocker444 wrote:Oh and the whole McMahon thing is he left orono thinking he was gonna be good at Benilde, but in all honesty I do not think he would have beaten out Wilson for the job in Orono if he would have stayed, just my opinion though.
Yes he would have
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

MNHocker444 wrote:Shots were actually something like 48-24 wilson made 22 stops and the final score was 10-2. Hanson brothers carry team with Hanson on D with 1 goal 3 assists, and Forward Hanson with 2 goals 3 assists.
22? Hmmm... seems a little high from what I saw. But oh well...
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

I think this McMahon character thinks he is better than he really is. Unfortunately his high school hockey career is over. This is what happens to kids that transfer to other programs thinking they are better than everyone.
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

Tigers33 wrote:I think this McMahon character thinks he is better than he really is. Unfortunately his high school hockey career is over. This is what happens to kids that transfer to other programs thinking they are better than everyone.
So I assume that he was cut from the team because he would have been a senior on JV. Anyone from Benilde know for sure?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

RLStars wrote:I remember back in Bantams, they had a pretty good goalie in Kevin McMahon. I know he went to BSM, but I didn't see his name on the Varsity or JV roster. What happened to him?

Also, where did these BSM players go?
Trevor Thompson
Drew Breyer
Brandon Frakes
Unfortunate, but I was told that Drew Breyer did not make either varsity or JV this year.
Johnny_Murphy

Post by Johnny_Murphy »

Orono isn't gonna be the single A powerhouse they once were because star defenseman Patrick McClure graduated.

Just kidding, Orono is never very good
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

RLStars wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:I think this McMahon character thinks he is better than he really is. Unfortunately his high school hockey career is over. This is what happens to kids that transfer to other programs thinking they are better than everyone.
So I assume that he was cut from the team because he would have been a senior on JV. Anyone from Benilde know for sure?
No I believe he's a Junior this year.
overthehillhockeyfan

Post by overthehillhockeyfan »

McMahon is a senior at BSM. He didn't go to BSM for hockey; he went for other reasons and as a freshman.

He was an excellent goalie in the youth program at Orono all the way up. Unfortunately for him things just didn't work out in the net at BSM.
Last edited by overthehillhockeyfan on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bauerhock16

Post by bauerhock16 »

I remember seeing Kevin Mcmahon in peewees and bantams, and one time we scored 9 goals on 12 shots, and in bantam regionals he got 4 goals scored on 7 shots.. i dont really know how good he was in youth hockey...
overthehillhockeyfan

Post by overthehillhockeyfan »

Interesting story but I doubt that Orono team in those years gave up nine goals in any game. There were certainly a lot more wins than losses.
bauerhock16

Post by bauerhock16 »

im pretty positive..
bauerhock16

Post by bauerhock16 »

not a big deal though.. By the way, why was Fivehole at the Orono VS. STMA game?? just curious.. isnt he the Delano goalie?
RoudyRoofis

Post by RoudyRoofis »

They need a better goalie to go ANYwhere
bauerhock16

Post by bauerhock16 »

who does?
slevin 2

Post by slevin 2 »

I'm not too sure why everyone thinks that Wilson is not a good goalie. He has won every Varsity game he has ever played in, including his one game as a sophomore where he played amazing. I think that people should at least give him a chance before they start tarring him apart.
bauerhock16

Post by bauerhock16 »

what is the reason for everyone thinking he is so bad? I guess he did play jv until senior year, whichis very pathetic, but he was behind a good goalie his whole high school career.. but who knows, maybe everyone is right?
slevin 2

Post by slevin 2 »

UM... I was just looking at Orono's stats the last couple years wondering why Wilson has not played and he has played behind Taylor Peterson the last two years. It looks like Peterson was pretty decent, setting almost every record for the school and the team went to state those two years. I don't know if Wilson is good or not, I'm just saying I think people should give him a chance.
state 06

Post by state 06 »

suntzu says
"Playing Dodge County, Monticello and St. Michael? Are you freaking joking?? No offense to any of the above-mentioned clubs, but come on. You're off to a 3-0 start because you have played three of the weakest teams in the state. I assume you're one of the whining mommies or daddies that feels compelled to go after the coach when junior doesn't work hard enough to make the grade.
You're right that playing Dodge County, Monticello, and St. Michael aren’t the best clubs in the state but if you look at the scores that they beat them by 8-1,5-0, and 10-2 are pretty dominating scores after losing a goalie that broke a ton of records and losing something like ten seniors off of the varsity team those are big details to lose. This team has a ton of young talent and I can't wait to see them at the X in March. By the way suntzu I’m not a stupid parent that complained about how their kids were being treated.

AND TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT

The last three coaches’ have not been run out of orono by the parents so stop saying this crap.

6 years ago there was Kevin Armstrong he was pressured to resign after there was tension with parents but not about playing time at all. he also coached upwards of 15 years at orono and it was time for a change anyways.

4 years ago there was Todd Weishjan not sure if that’s a correct spelling. But he was a high school teacher at Armstrong high school and was offered the head coaching job at the Armstrong high school and since he lives in Armstrong and taught there it only made sense for him to take the job.

2 years ago there was Brad Ryan he was a very smart man who had hockey in his blood and when it came around to playoff time i would argue that he was one of the best coach's in the state. But during the regular season he had anger problems and didn't know how to control himself. was a bad influence on the players and just annoyed refs he was asked to leave, again not because of playing time, but because of how he had turned hockey for those players into something that was a hassle and not fun anymore there were rumors that at a meeting with the AD, Principal of the school, Brad Ryan and the parents that even the captains were treated terribly and that the proceeding years captains might choose to not play because of it again only speculation but impressive still.

so please i understand that orono has a lot of snobby rich people but does it really matter how much money you have to love the game of hockey

And for the record I was not an orono student parent or athlete just an observant person in that atmosphere
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

state 06 wrote:suntzu says
"Playing Dodge County, Monticello and St. Michael? Are you freaking joking?? No offense to any of the above-mentioned clubs, but come on. You're off to a 3-0 start because you have played three of the weakest teams in the state. I assume you're one of the whining mommies or daddies that feels compelled to go after the coach when junior doesn't work hard enough to make the grade.
You're right that playing Dodge County, Monticello, and St. Michael aren’t the best clubs in the state but if you look at the scores that they beat them by 8-1,5-0, and 10-2 are pretty dominating scores after losing a goalie that broke a ton of records and losing something like ten seniors off of the varsity team those are big details to lose. This team has a ton of young talent and I can't wait to see them at the X in March. By the way suntzu I’m not a stupid parent that complained about how their kids were being treated.

The last three coaches’ have not been run out of orono by the parents so stop saying this crap.

6 years ago there was Kevin Armstrong he was pressured to resign after there was tension with parents but not about playing time at all. he also coached upwards of 15 years at orono and it was time for a change anyways.

4 years ago there was Todd Weishjan not sure if that’s a correct spelling. But he was a high school teacher at Armstrong high school and was offered the head coaching job at the Armstrong high school and since he lives in Armstrong and taught there it only made sense for him to take the job.

2 years ago there was Brad Ryan he was a very smart man who had hockey in his blood and when it came around to playoff time i would argue that he was one of the best coach's in the state. But during the regular season he had anger problems and didn't know how to control himself. was a bad influence on the players and just annoyed refs he was asked to leave, again not because of playing time, but because of how he had turned hockey for those players into something that was a hassle and not fun anymore there were rumors that at a meeting with the AD, Principal of the school, Brad Ryan and the parents that even the captains were treated terribly and that the proceeding years captains might choose to not play because of it again only speculation but impressive still.

so please i understand that orono has a lot of snobby rich people but does it really matter how much money you have to love the game of hockey

And for the record I was not an orono student parent or athlete just an observant person in that atmosphere
Thanks for the details on why the parents ran out 2 of the past 3 coaches.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

state 06 wrote:suntzu says

???? You are giving exact details on the fact the parents/players did run out 2 of the past 3 coaches. I would love to hear Brad Ryans side of this but he has too much class to air it out on a chat board.
breakout

Post by breakout »

An observant parent in that atmosphere............ :-k

Couldn't be an Orono high school hockey parent................... :lol:
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

First of all the team did not lose 10 seniors from last years roster. It lost 3 key players in McClure, Peterson, and a big forward (can't remember his name). After that it lost I think two third liners. They also lost their backup goalie and two other players which should of been cut. So this years team should actually be better than last year since it is returning almost all their defenseman, plus most of their scoring.

As far as parents running out last years coach. The rumor I have heard is that there was a group of 6-8 parents unhappy with the amount of ice time their kids were getting. There were also a couple of off-ice issues to go along with things.

I am not supporting the coach because I do not know any of the specific details to this situation. It's all about wins at the High School level. This coach took the team to the State Tournament his only two years coaching there. How can anyone complain about that?
power92

Post by power92 »

What about the Basketball and Girls Hockey coaches. Were they "run out" as well?
....Can't thank you enough for the time.