Orono

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:44 pm

MNHocker444 wrote:26-19 I beleive in favor of Orono. I do not beleive Red Wing is a better team either they just were last night.
Thanks. :shock:

TPSgoalie

Post by TPSgoalie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:19 pm

Goldy23 wrote:
RLStars wrote:I remember back in Bantams, they had a pretty good goalie in Kevin McMahon. I know he went to BSM, but I didn't see his name on the Varsity or JV roster. What happened to him?

Also, where did these BSM players go?
Trevor Thompson
Drew Breyer
Brandon Frakes
McMahon was a great goalie throughout youth hockey. The problem was he was young for his grade so when he finished his Bantam career he was already a Junior and Benilde was/is full of quality goalies. To bad he didn't stay at Orono as he would have been playing Varsity this year as well as last.
McMahon wasnt that good thats why he got cut from Benilde. and there is no way that he would ever start over Ian Wilson or Taylor Peterson. i also heard that he had the option to play hockey at Benilde his junior year but he turned it down to play at orono during his final Bantam year.

patricia mcneil

Post by patricia mcneil » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:18 pm

this orono team did not look like a top ten team to me on thursday night that first line for red wing looked fantastic and the other lines didnt look to bad either i think that orono was definently not the team i expected them to be they had a few nice offensive plays but for the most part red wing had the stuff together during this game , but i think people are definently over looking this red wing team

March3333Madness

Post by March3333Madness » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:05 am

Red Wing was a better team on Thursday night. The first line for Red Wing was very dominating. Orono's goalie played fine. Orono had too many dumb penalties and a lack of execution on a number of 2 on 1's where they didn't even get a shot off. I would expect the Orono coaches to take full advantage of learning from the Red Wing game. The Breck game today should be another good game for both teams to figure out the things they need to work on.

doubleOHseven

Post by doubleOHseven » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:36 pm

patricia mcneil wrote:this orono team did not look like a top ten team to me on thursday night that first line for red wing looked fantastic and the other lines didnt look to bad either i think that orono was definently not the team i expected them to be they had a few nice offensive plays but for the most part red wing had the stuff together during this game , but i think people are definently over looking this red wing team
that was a really long sentence...

flatontheice

????

Post by flatontheice » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:05 pm

Did I hear right? Breck 6 Orono 2? Ouch!!! I'm guessing it was poor coaching. Vegas now taking bets..odds at 3-1 on current Orono coach making it through entire season. :oops:

Puckguy19

Re: ????

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:39 pm

flatontheice wrote:Did I hear right? Breck 6 Orono 2? Ouch!!! I'm guessing it was poor coaching. Vegas now taking bets..odds at 3-1 on current Orono coach making it through entire season. :oops:
I get the coaching jokes at Orono, given their track record and all. But in this case the Orono coach and family had his mother's funeral this a.m.

Not sure if it would be an easy transition from life to a h.s. sport. I'm guessing they will cut some slack in this instance. 8)

bauerhock16

Post by bauerhock16 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:50 pm

Actually A. Johnson is a very good coach, and has had an extremely rough week, youve got to really admire him as a person. He buried his mom this morning and went straight to the hockey game, dont even begin to tell me you would be able to do that. Also, please.. enough with the coaching jokes, its getting extremely old, none of you were at orono to experience it first hand and therefore have no idea what went on. Therefore its not your place to comment on it. Its been a rough week for all of us with what has gone on..

The game today was pretty much the same exact story as the game agaisnt red wing, forwards couldnt put the puck away, defense couldnt stop the 2 on 0's, breakaways and 2 on 1's, and 3 on 1's, and goalie couldnt hold the hole defensive side of the game up on his own. Orono has all week to practice and get their crap together and hopefully they will be ready for lake of the woods and Warroad next weekend.

MNHocker444

Post by MNHocker444 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Hopefully they do and fast. They out shot Breck today 37-23 yet they lose 6-2?????? What is wrong with them they need to just start burying the puck and not letting teams get as quality of shots.

bauerhock16

Post by bauerhock16 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:22 pm

yes, agreed. By looking at stats it seems liek it is totally the goalies fault, but i attended the game today and the Defense simply dont give the goalie a chance... somewhere around 75% of the goalies shots today were either breakaways 2 on 0s 3 on 0s and 3 on 1's, i missed the first part of the first period but i saw the goalie make a save on a 3 on 0, 3 on 1, and 3 or 4 breakaway saves. Orono truly did look like the better team, the defense were just plainly not fast enough for the Mustang's forwards..

hillmurray2010

Post by hillmurray2010 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:23 pm

I seen the game and they just kept on shooting the puck right into the goalie's chest so he didn't need to work too much. They deffinitly need to get a little better defensively too - thats there major weakness I think.

bauerhock16

Post by bauerhock16 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:31 pm

hillmurray2010 Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seen the game and they just kept on shooting the puck right into the goalie's chest so he didn't need to work too much. They deffinitly need to get a little better defensively too - thats there major weakness I think.

Agreed. Orono's shots were very poor.

MNHocker444

Post by MNHocker444 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:35 pm

Orono's shots were very good and in the slot alot, but yes it was always right in the chest of the tender. They also could of scored a lot of goals in close too but some how the puck just will not go in the net for them right now. I think they will be fine in conference play, and could turn it on in sections. These last two games for them have just been eye openers for them though.

flatontheice

Re: ????

Post by flatontheice » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:45 pm

Sorry did not know that about the coach. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Just a joke and stab at the parents over there.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:50 pm

First of all, Aaron is a great person and I give him a lot of credit for what he has done this week with everything he is going through. Second of all, he will be a great hockey coach in time.

Third of all, I will be the first one to predict this Orono team will have a tough time because of three things; lack of goaltending, inconsistent defenseman, and not enough depth at forward.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:09 pm

Tigers33 wrote:First of all, Aaron is a great person and I give him a lot of credit for what he has done this week with everything he is going through. Second of all, he will be a great hockey coach in time.

Third of all, I will be the first one to predict this Orono team will have a tough time because of three things; lack of goaltending, inconsistent defenseman, and not enough depth at forward.
Just to be clear, I am not saying he is a bad coach. I dont know anything about him as a coach. I do know that Orono parents have run out a couple of other good coaches that I do know.

breakout

Post by breakout » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:56 pm

bauerhock16 wrote:yes, agreed. By looking at stats it seems liek it is totally the goalies fault, but i attended the game today and the Defense simply dont give the goalie a chance... somewhere around 75% of the goalies shots today were either breakaways 2 on 0s 3 on 0s and 3 on 1's, i missed the first part of the first period but i saw the goalie make a save on a 3 on 0, 3 on 1, and 3 or 4 breakaway saves. Orono truly did look like the better team, the defense were just plainly not fast enough for the Mustang's forwards..
How can their D be that slow??? Possibly way too much pinching without forward support??? Just a guess.

If the D is not strong, put a strong forward back there. He can help control play.

Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:44 pm

breakout wrote:
bauerhock16 wrote:yes, agreed. By looking at stats it seems liek it is totally the goalies fault, but i attended the game today and the Defense simply dont give the goalie a chance... somewhere around 75% of the goalies shots today were either breakaways 2 on 0s 3 on 0s and 3 on 1's, i missed the first part of the first period but i saw the goalie make a save on a 3 on 0, 3 on 1, and 3 or 4 breakaway saves. Orono truly did look like the better team, the defense were just plainly not fast enough for the Mustang's forwards..
How can their D be that slow??? Possibly way too much pinching without forward support??? Just a guess.

If the D is not strong, put a strong forward back there. He can help control play.
I heard it was a MUSTANG STAMPEDE!! And that they just didn't just skate by Orono's D... They flew by them, again and again and....

I thought these guys were the section favorites?