Most feared player? Today and yesterday?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

old-timer

Most feared player? Today and yesterday?

Post by old-timer »

I watched the Eagan and Eden Prairie Game tonite via> FSN...those boys on the Eagle Blue line are tough....

Is any of their defenseman feared going into the corners with? I will reserve comment until I observe more games, but they have a few, one in particular; you are going to pay a price in the Eagle end. He is my choice thus far as the toughest player in State High school Hockey(so much for reserving comment). Thats all I will say at this point.

For the has been's like myself...who was your most feared opponent or teammate?
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

Sean Fabian - 1987 - Hill Murray
GRAF 705

Post by GRAF 705 »

maybe cole hawkins on rosemount or ben branson at burnsville

in the past years: joe stejskal grand rapids from last year
or fabian from 87 hill murray he was a train
D6Rocks

Post by D6Rocks »

I would echo the Sean Fabian vote, I saw him knock a guy out of hockey all together.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

George Palawa - not sure on the spelling played for bemidji and was a friend. he use to joke with me on the ice saying crap like dont worry i wont hurt you..lol You wouldnt want to be on his radar in a bad way.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

watchdog wrote:George Palawa - not sure on the spelling played for bemidji and was a friend. he use to joke with me on the ice saying crap like dont worry i wont hurt you..lol You wouldnt want to be on his radar in a bad way.
Pelawa.

The guy was a tree. A shame he never got a chance to move on to the pros.
zinovy08

Post by zinovy08 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
watchdog wrote:George Palawa - not sure on the spelling played for bemidji and was a friend. he use to joke with me on the ice saying crap like dont worry i wont hurt you..lol You wouldnt want to be on his radar in a bad way.
Pelawa.

The guy was a tree. A shame he never got a chance to move on to the pros.
Pelawa without a doubt, although Fabian was tough.

Had he not been killed, he would have been in the NHL after one year at North Dakota. He was that skilled, tough, and HUGE. He would have been the biggest player in the NHL at that time.

I remember reading an article about him attending the US Olympic Festival in Colorado Springs following his senior year at Bemidji. A player, who I can't remember their name, said something to the effect, "I'm terrified of him, he said that he'd rip my arms off."

I played against him in high school and can vouch that he was a monster out there.
Last edited by zinovy08 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

yeah if you didnt piss him off he'd just lean on yeah while your face was stuck to the chicken coop wire in the old bemidji rink he'd take the puck. however if you were out on the ice throwing cheap shots you might become part of that chicken coop wire permanently. they had to stop a game in the state tourney to ask the bemidji coach if george would seattle down befor he killed somebodey! i was told his reply was hes just warming up.lol
southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout »

A friend but you don't know the spelling????? He was an animal though!
zinovy08

Post by zinovy08 »

watchdog wrote:yeah if you didnt piss him off he'd just lean on yeah while your face was stuck to the chicken coop wire in the old bemidji rink he'd take the puck. however if you were out on the ice throwing cheap shots you might become part of that chicken coop wire permanently. they had to stop a game in the state tourney to ask the bemidji coach if george would seattle down befor he killed somebodey! i was told his reply was hes just warming up.lol
One game against Bemidji in their rink, Pelawa and one of the Sauer brothers were driving to the net, one on each side of me. As a defenseman, I was trying to hold them up by holding my stick up to cross check the both of them. They ended up breaking my own newly-purchased aluminum stick across my own chest. lol.

Another funny thing about Pelawa was that before he reached high school, he wore this god-awful white "eggshell" helmet. We had no idea who manufactured the helmet or if it was even an actual hockey helmet. Maybe a standard hockey helmet wouldn't fit his head, I don't know. Anyways, it looked ridiculous, but we were, of course, to affraid make fun of his "egghead" helmet for fear that he'd kill us.
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

The style helmet your referring to "Big George" wore I think was those awful looking Protecs and it was a BIG one.

For this thread...my pick is "Big George" by a country mile. Coach Grand used to just chuckle and shake his head; he got the biggest kick out of watching George when he started bodying people. What was almost as fun; was watching guys trying to check him and they'd just kind of bounce off him. Nobody really tried to run him because of the perceived payback.
Hockey Moms are Hottest!!!
zinovy08

Post by zinovy08 »

Undercover Hockey Lover wrote:The style helmet your referring to "Big George" wore I think was those awful looking Protecs and it was a BIG one.

For this thread...my pick is "Big George" by a country mile. Coach Grand used to just chuckle and shake his head; he got the biggest kick out of watching George when he started bodying people. What was almost as fun; was watching guys trying to check him and they'd just kind of bounce off him. Nobody really tried to run him because of the perceived payback.
No...It wasn't one of those ugly Protecs, because some guys on our team wore those hideus things, unless they made a different model that even looked more hideous. It was like a cross between the Protec and Stan Makita helmet.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Wasn't it one of those old style original Jofas?
yasoguy

tough guy

Post by yasoguy »

Dana Gunderson: early 90's from Roseau!

I saw him at a game in Red River when he knocked a guy out cold! Perfectly legal hit. Strong and could skate pretty good too!
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

i know this the lordabeckie twins from baudette in the 80's were the cheapest players i ever saw. they were just like the hanson brothers. they lost every game and all they cared about was hurting somebodey..
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Joe Stejskal Grand Rapids (now Dartmouth) that kid could smoke you!
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

watchdog wrote:i know this the lordabeckie twins from baudette in the 80's were the cheapest players i ever saw. they were just like the hanson brothers. they lost every game and all they cared about was hurting somebodey..
I remember playing against them. They were big, cheap, and loved it.
zinovy08

Post by zinovy08 »

State Champ 97 wrote:
watchdog wrote:i know this the lordabeckie twins from baudette in the 80's were the cheapest players i ever saw. they were just like the hanson brothers. they lost every game and all they cared about was hurting somebodey..
I remember playing against them. They were big, cheap, and loved it.
I don't remember them by name (Lordabeckie), but I do remember having a bench-clearing-type brawl near the locker rooms at Baudette in 1986 following a game. I wonder if it was them that sparked that.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

A very good line...
at the state tourney, George P. was asked by a TV color man, "What would you do if you do if yo do not play pro hockey?"

"I'd be a pro wrestler," George answered.

"Oh, who;s your favoirte wrestler?"

"Jesse the Body," said George with that big smile on his face.

George Pelawa, Mr. Hockey and a legend.

For all you young hockey players, drive safe.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

elliott70 wrote:A very good line...
at the state tourney, George P. was asked by a TV color man, "What would you do if you do if yo do not play pro hockey?"

"I'd be a pro wrestler," George answered.

"Oh, who;s your favoirte wrestler?"

"Jesse the Body," said George with that big smile on his face.

George Pelawa, Mr. Hockey and a legend.

For all you young hockey players, drive safe.
And don't drink & drive!!
Johnny_Murphy

Post by Johnny_Murphy »

Stejstkal from GR, big #18........ he is on YouTube
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Sean Fabian...

I believe he still holds the state high school record for penalty minutes in a state tournament (1996-97). He personally lost the consolation championship that year against South St. Paul by taking a really stupid penalty in the second OT, and he may very well have had 2 in OT.

He went on to the U of MN where he played little and was gone after his second year. I remember him getting a ton of penalty minutes one game and then leaving the penalty box at the old Marriucci and climbing into the crowd to watch the game. He was a bonehead to the core...
O-townClown

Fabian

Post by O-townClown »

Sparlimb wrote:Sean Fabian...
Did Sean Fabian go to St. Thomas Academy before transferring to Hill? Or did he by chance have a brother Pat Fabian?

For some reason I'm getting myself confused.

As for the thread, certainly the Carlsons were rugged players in HS, no?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

As a group, the 1972 Falls Broncos 4 Dmen, Green, Knapp, Lundquist, & Sandbeck.
wbmd

Re: Fabian

Post by wbmd »

O-townClown wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:Sean Fabian...
Did Sean Fabian go to St. Thomas Academy before transferring to Hill? Or did he by chance have a brother Pat Fabian?

For some reason I'm getting myself confused.

As for the thread, certainly the Carlsons were rugged players in HS, no?
You are correct that Pat Fabian played at St. Thomas and Sean at Hill.