Most feared player? Today and yesterday?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

The First that comes to mind is Matt Osiecki, son of legandary Burnsville Braves Coach Tom Osiecki. As a young tike i used to watch this guy take slapshots at a local outdoor rink and it struck fear in me not to skate in front of a net without looking first. Matt was a fearsome player at the high school level (Burnsville) and then at the college level(Notre Dame) and from what the legandary Burnsville Braves Coach Tom Osiecki said, his left hand was good in the minor leagues to. His older brother Mark Osiecki was also a force with the Burnsville Braves, as a defencemen and a nose tackle then with the Badgers and then Calgary Flames.
sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 »

David Grun---formerly of White Bear Lake.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

I have an unatural fear of freshmen at WBL that wear #9.
hawkeyfan

Post by hawkeyfan »

Travis taran at Hermantown (Initials TNT). beat the PLEASE BAN ME out of T. J. oshie in scrimmage. Game ended in a tie. Oshie was "avoiding" taran for the entire time.
believe in the hockey gods...
old-timer

Post by old-timer »

I agree with the Pelawa sentiments; drafted in the first round by the Flames, he would STILL be playing and fighting, provided he stayed healthy. I have to take issue with the Fabian status. He was tough in his own right; players did not fear him.

Makousky with the Richfield Spartans 1986 and 87' was arguably the MOST intimidating player to play against. Makousky, speaking of penalty minutes; broke the high school record in 1986...he piled up 68 minutes in a 20 game season. In 1987, after being beat out of the sectional's by 'Tonka...dropped his gloves and jumped into the Tonka celebration, causing a huge brawl at the old met center...This guy was a freak'n animal. He and Pelawa matched up in the 86 tourney, where very little anticipated match up's took place. Makousky and Pelawa of the 80's
O-townClown

Great call on Trent Makousy

Post by O-townClown »

old-timer wrote:Makousky with the Richfield Spartans 1986 and 87' was arguably the MOST intimidating player to play against. Makousky, speaking of penalty minutes; broke the high school record in 1986...he piled up 68 minutes in a 20 game season. In 1987, after being beat out of the sectional's by 'Tonka...dropped his gloves and jumped into the Tonka celebration, causing a huge brawl at the old met center...This guy was a freak'n animal. He and Pelawa matched up in the 86 tourney, where very little anticipated match up's took place. Makousky and Pelawa of the 80's
I love the Trent Makousky call. That Richfield team had the Jutting twins as rugged wingers and Makousky as the team animal. Didn't he miss a game when he was jailed??!

Funny so many are talking about Pelawa. I asked someone how they thought he'd do in the NHL and I got the reply that he was too nice of a guy to dominate there. ??? I was surprised. He was a beast.

Richfield needed Makousky to play tough. Their star center Mark Johnson was very good, but real small.
dank01

Post by dank01 »

Derek Earls - Holy Family

I think he is 6'4'' 220-240. He can bring the smack pretty hard, and from what I have seen he is not afraid to lay into people. He has a short fuse, so it makes a deadly combonation.
hockeygod

Post by hockeygod »

Bob and Dick Paradise ...posibly the most aggresive hockey players I have ever seen or played with. they played for Cretin back when ships were made of wood and men of steel. When either of them came on the ice the other team would go for a line change because you thought they might be carrying you off on a stretcher..unbeleiveable passion for the sport of hockey
realmnhockey07

Post by realmnhockey07 »

Oshie 05' :?:
sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 »

Sparlimb wrote:I have an unatural fear of freshmen at WBL that wear #9.
I don't get it?
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

realmnhockey07 wrote:Oshie 05' :?:

Yeah, he was a real bonecrusher :roll: :roll: :roll:
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

sicknasty7722 wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:I have an unatural fear of freshmen at WBL that wear #9.
I don't get it?
I think he's talking about when Sean Roed was a freshman at White Bear. Roed scored the game winner in overtime to upset #1 ranked Hill-Murray in the section semifinals in 1996. Roed was #9 for the Bears.
artifactually153

Post by artifactually153 »

i'd have to say william clark was probably the scariest
puckman22

Post by puckman22 »

From last year i'd have to say stejskal or gutsch both tough kids
puckman22

Post by puckman22 »

But alltime is Tim Sheehy. I'm talking most feared to play against because he was so good. He led International to three consecutive state championships and 59 straight wins from 1964-1966. No doubt he is the best ever. Most points of anyone ever in Minnesota high school hockey history
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

puckman22 wrote:But alltime is Tim Sheehy. I'm talking most feared to play against because he was so good. He led International to three consecutive state championships and 59 straight wins from 1964-1966. No doubt he is the best ever. Most points of anyone ever in Minnesota high school hockey history
Sure Tim, sure. :roll:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Joe Bonfe from Cretin- Derham Hall. Skinny kid but big hitter.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

puckman22 wrote:But alltime is Tim Sheehy. I'm talking most feared to play against because he was so good. He led International to three consecutive state championships and 59 straight wins from 1964-1966. No doubt he is the best ever. Most points of anyone ever in Minnesota high school hockey history
And, as a freshman, he played with the state runner-up team (in OT).

But his brother, Neil, was the toughie.
I believe he participated on the Harvard boxing team, as well as the hockey team. And now the NHL owners fear him as an agent.
old-timer

Re: Great call on Trent Makousy

Post by old-timer »

I love the Trent Makousky call. That Richfield team had the Jutting twins as rugged wingers and Makousky as the team animal. Didn't he miss a game when he was jailed??!
Thats funny O-town...He was jailed before the Edina game in Breamar...got out and drove in his own vehicle for the third period ????I honestly cannot remember why he was arrested. a seperate incident, Makousky was ID'd at the 86 State Tournament, on television by a kid he supposedly broke his nose and ribs at a fight stemming from a house party in Richfield. I think it was a group of Armstrong guys who were unwelcomed guests. Geez, Makousky's dad was a nut job too - also a Richfield graduate as well. From what I understand, he was loaded with talent and toughness...!!
mnhockey07

Post by mnhockey07 »

#13 Leer from Edina hits pretty hard (always finishes his checks).
breakout

Post by breakout »

mnhockey07 wrote:#13 Leer from Edina hits pretty hard (always finishes his checks).

I don't know if Leer meets most feared status. However, he does finish checks and gets into player's heads. He's a great role player for Edina. I would love to have a player like him on my team.

I will guess he is going to play college hockey somewhere after this season.
regdunlop77

Post by regdunlop77 »

wbmd wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

George Pelawa, Mr. Hockey and a legend.

For all you young hockey players, drive safe.
And don't drink & drive!!
And not just the young hockey players. :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Jury awards $9.5 million in wrongful death case
By William C. Lhotka
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/28/2007

Former NHL defenseman Rob Ramage
(AP)

UPDATE:

A jury in St. Louis County Circuit Court awarded $9.5 million this afternoon in a wrongful-death trial involving former St. Louis Blues hockey star Rob Ramage.

Ramage, 48, of Chesterfield, and National Car Rentals of Canada are the defendants in the case brought by the family of the late Keith Magnuson, a Chicago business executive and former Chicago Blackhawks defensemen and head coach. Advertisement

Magnuson, 56, was a passenger in a rental car driven by Ramage when Magnuson was killed in a head-on collision in suburban Toronto on Dec. 15, 2003. Magnuson was survived by his wife, Cynthia, his son, Kevin, and his daughter, Molly. Ramage was drunk when the crash occurred, authorities said.

The jury deliberated about two hours before returning its verdict for the Magnuson family, and against Ramage and National Car.

In closing arguments, the attorneys for Magnuson's family, Grant Davis of Kansas City, and Dan Kotin of Chicago, had suggested a range of compensation to the family for Magnuson's death of $25 to $33 million(cq).

Beth Boggs is the attorney for National Car, which is equally liable in the case as Ramage, even though its only role was renting Ramage a car. Boggs said a verdict of $2.5 millon in economic and non-economic damages would fairly compensate the Magnuson family.

Scott Harper, Ramage's attorney, made a brief statement teling the the jury at the end of the case: ``Rob accepts responsbility for the death of Keith Magnuson and awaits your verdict.''

Ramage didn't attend the four-day trial in the court of Judge Gary M. Gaertner Jr. Ramage was convicted last month in Ontario of impaired driving causing death and four other charges. He could get up to 15 years in prison at his sentencing on Jan. 17.

OUR EARLIER STORY:

Former Chicago Blackhawks winger Cliff Koroll told a jury in St. Louis County Circuit Court this morning about his lifelong relationship with the late Keith Magnuson, a former Blackhawks teammate, who died in a car crash in suburban Toronto four years ago.

Koroll testified today in the wrongful death suit by the Magnuson family against former St. Louis Blues defenseman Rob Ramage, 48, of Chesterfield. Magnuson was a passenger in a rental car driven by Ramage on Dec. 15, 2003. Ramage has been found guilty in a criminal trial in Ontario and could get up to 14 years in prison at his sentencing on Jan. 17.

Both Koroll and Magnuson grew up in Saskatoon, Canada, and competed or played together in several sports. Koroll said he went to the University of Denver on a hockey scholarship, and a year later, so did Magnuson. The hockey team won the NCAA national championship when Koroll was a senior, and, again, a year later, when Magnuson was a senior.

Both played for the Blackhawks for 11 years. Magnuson was an All-Star defenseman. Records show Koroll scored 208 goals in 814 games. Magnuson became head coach of the team upon his retirement in 1980 and Koroll then retired and served as his assistant coach.

Koroll, 61, now a Chicago business executive, gave the eulogy at Magnuson's funeral. He told the jury today that Magnuson was a devoted husband to his wife, Cynthia, and a doting father to his son, Kevin. and his daughter, Molly.

Hockey stars Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita got Koroll and Magnuson active in charitable work when the young players joined the team, and no hockey player has done more for hospitals, the Special Olympics and other charities over the years than Magnuson, Koroll said.

The Magnuson family is seeking a seven-figure verdict. Their attorneys allege Ramage was drunk when the Dodge Intrepid he was driving crossed the center line of a highway and struck two vehicles. Magnuson was killed instantly. Ramage and three others survived.

Ramage has been absent from the courtroom. Defense attorneys -- National Car Rental of Canada has also been sued -- withheld their opening statements until the plaintiffs are finished.
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

My vote goes for the Michelletti (Joe?) from the Range who graduated high school in the mid 70's. That boy could hit!
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

Charliedog wrote:My vote goes for the Michelletti (Joe?) from the Range who graduated high school in the mid 70's. That boy could hit!
Ogie Ogelthorpe wihtout a doubt.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Eric "Moose" Hanson from ER

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls