What 7AA & 8AA should be.

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

What 7AA & 8AA should be.

Post by elliott70 »

In another thread,
Neutron wrote,

"Kinda hung up on this "north" thingy aren't you.

SECTION 7AA:
Andover, Anoka, Cambridge, Cloquet, Duluth East, Elk River, Forest Lake, Grand Rapids, St. Francis.

If you want a "north" section combine the "north" schools of 7AA and 8AA.

We'll create a back door section for cities teams."

What should be done; the MSHSL should change their rules to something like, the schools with highest 9-12 population 'within a section' or those wishing to opt up will be AA, all others A.

Then we could have
7AA with nine teams
Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Cloquet
Duluth Marshall
Hibbing
Hermantown
Virginia
Int'l. Falls
soon to Denfeld-Central coop.

and 8AA with nine teams
Roseau
Moorhead
Brainerd
Bemidji
St Cloud Tech
St Cloud Apollo
Aitkin CI etal coop
East Grand Forks
Thief River Falls
(and Warroad can stay in 8A).

Four sections in the cities.
One in the south

And an 8th spot for a back-door.
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

Pretty funny...E. :roll:

Personally, I'd like to see the AA enrollment cut-off somewhere around the 600 to 700 mark. With an opt-up option....doubt Warroad would opt anyway but...If some of the A schools like TRF & EGF were forced up maybe Warroad and now I Falls would be shamed into opting up. Not everyone that has kids playing A wants them to play A that's the situation their stuck with. Also, a private automatically has to play AA. This would then truly make Class A....a small school class. It would make for a MUCH smaller group of A schools but then we would get closer to what the two class was intended to create. A place for the non-traditional hockey small schools to compete.

Either that or create 4 "super sections" with both teams to make the section finals getting to state obviously the "North" section would be geographically huge your still getting two reps....the problem with that is how to keep from gerrymandering the metro to serve individual schools interests.
Last edited by Undercover Hockey Lover on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hockey Moms are Hottest!!!
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

I like it Elliott. I don't know how any respectable flannel wearing, popple stomping, partridge hunter can argue with it. I especially love that Warroad stays 8A. But does that leave enough teams for Class A?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Neutron 14 wrote: But does that leave enough teams for Class A?

I don't know, but how many do they need.

8A would have...
Baudette, Hallock, Red Lake Falls, Crookston, Bagley, Walker, Park Rapids..
That's 7, move Detroit Lakes back in...
That's 8.

7A would have....
Greenway, Eveleth, Ely, Mesabi East could come back, and Chisholm...
maybe more with the new steel mine....
Proctor, Silver Bay, Two Harbors
pull acouple from farther south...
Moose Lake, Mora...
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Don't forget Warroad in 8A.
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hockey Moms are Hottest!!!
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

Neutron 14 wrote:Don't forget Warroad in 8A.

Unless they come up with a B level or something like nine-man in football :roll:
gatzke

Post by gatzke »

go 16 sections like youth hockey
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Why would you want all the good teams in AA? (The good teams are usually the biggest schools) The class A tournament would be unwatchable. I say, leave it the way it is. If you have a certain amount of kids in your school (I'm not sure what that number is), you play AA. If not, you play A hockey. Unless...you wish to play up, like Roseau and some other teams.

What really needs to be done is make the sections different. Are you kidding me with section 3A? And why is Elk River and Anoka in 7AA? How is Duluth Marshall and Denfeld in different sections? I guess these are questions that will never be answered.

Anyways...Some of these teams like Warroad, Blake, Breck, STA, etc., could play up and would compete for state titles (not every year) but choose not to. Therefor, they will play in front of 5,000 people at the X and not 18,000 (whatever the number is).

Yes, the section tournament in 7AA and 8AA would be great, and you would truely have the best teams from each section at state but Class A hockey would drift into non-existance. I happen to enjoy all hockey, A and AA, so moving all the best teams to AA would stink in some ways. That's just my two cents, but I do see what you mean and in many ways agree.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

MNHockey75 wrote:I do see what you mean and in many ways agree.

You disagreed with everything that he said and then you say that with your last line. Pick a side and stick with it.
The U invented swagger.
spr air 210

Post by spr air 210 »

7AA , East,G Rapids,Bemidji,Brainerd,EG Forks,ThRiverFalls,Virginia,Moorhead,Aiken.
The True North
8AA Elk River,Anoka,FLake,St Cloud Tech, St Cloud Apollo,Cloquet,Hermentown,Duluth Marshall,Denfeld
The Middle North
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

[quote="spr air 210"]7AA , East,G Rapids,Bemidji,Brainerd,EG Forks,ThRiverFalls,Virginia,Moorhead,Aiken.
The True North
8AA Elk River,Anoka,FLake,St Cloud Tech, St Cloud Apollo,Cloquet,Hermentown,Duluth Marshall,Denfeld
The Middle North[/quote]

Not bad, except you can't put East and Cloquet in different sections. Separating rivals like that would be a sacrilege.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote:I do see what you mean and in many ways agree.

You disagreed with everything that he said and then you say that with your last line. Pick a side and stick with it.
Jeez...At the end, all I way trying to say is that I do see what he's trying to get at. It's a great idea in many ways. But when I look at the grand scheme of things, class A hockey would just suffer too much. And I happen to enjoy class A hockey just as much class AA hockey. That's all I'm trying to say here, but I understand where he is coming from. He wants to see the best play the best. If I'm not mistaken but didn't we try the Tier I and II thing? I personally think we have a good thing going here in Minnesota...and if you want to play in the X in front of 20,000 or so, then play up. You can't force them, unless they have the class size for it. Just so your sure, I'm taking the side of the way it is now. But like I stated earlier, they really need to find a way so the sections are not only even but have the neighboring towns together.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

gatzke wrote:go 16 sections like youth hockey
Youth hockey has 12 districts.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

spr air 210 wrote:7AA , East,G Rapids,Bemidji,Brainerd,EG Forks,ThRiverFalls,Virginia,Moorhead,Aiken.
The True North
The Middle North
Your missing Roseau. The point of the thread is to get the cities teams out of "Northern" AA sections. They're not wanted. You need to remove ER, Anoka and Forest Lake.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Neutron 14 wrote:
spr air 210 wrote:7AA , East,G Rapids,Bemidji,Brainerd,EG Forks,ThRiverFalls,Virginia,Moorhead,Aiken.
The True North
The Middle North
Your missing Roseau. The point of the thread is to get the cities teams out of "Northern" AA sections. They're not wanted. You need to remove ER, Anoka and Forest Lake.
Duh... :roll:

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett »

The True North
How can you put "Aiken" as a True North Hockey School :?:

Please show me on a map where "Aiken" is, isn't he a country western singer :?:

AS far as I know there isn't even an "Aiken" in Minnesota :wink:

Now if your talkin' the No. Lakes Coop, there is 1 or 2 kids from Aitkin on that team, but they are primarily from Pequot & Crosby and have no business playin' AA hockey :oops:

Syd 8)
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

Syd nailed that one!

AY 8)
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Syd Barrett wrote:
The True North
How can you put "Aiken" as a True North Hockey School :?:

Please show me on a map where "Aiken" is, isn't he a country western singer :?:

AS far as I know there isn't even an "Aiken" in Minnesota :wink:

Now if your talkin' the No. Lakes Coop, there is 1 or 2 kids from Aitkin on that team, but they are primarily from Pequot & Crosby and have no business playin' AA hockey :oops:

Syd 8)
Maybe he meant those boys were a bit sore after their AA schedule.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

elliott70 wrote: Maybe he meant those boys were a bit sore after their AA schedule.
Either that or they play like Clay.... :lol:
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Neutron 14 wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Maybe he meant those boys were a bit sore after their AA schedule.
Either that or they play like Clay.... :lol:
Too busy playing with their teammates sticks?

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Reggie

Re: What 7AA & 8AA should be.

Post by Reggie »

elliott70 wrote:In another thread,
Neutron wrote,

"Kinda hung up on this "north" thingy aren't you.

SECTION 7AA:
Andover, Anoka, Cambridge, Cloquet, Duluth East, Elk River, Forest Lake, Grand Rapids, St. Francis.

If you want a "north" section combine the "north" schools of 7AA and 8AA.

We'll create a back door section for cities teams."

What should be done; the MSHSL should change their rules to something like, the schools with highest 9-12 population 'within a section' or those wishing to opt up will be AA, all others A.

Then we could have
7AA with nine teams
Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Cloquet
Duluth Marshall
Hibbing
Hermantown
Virginia
Int'l. Falls

and 8AA with nine teams
Roseau
Moorhead
Brainerd
Bemidji
St Cloud Tech
St Cloud Apollo
Aitkin CI etal coop
East Grand Forks
Thief River Falls
(and Warroad can stay in 8A).

Four sections in the cities.
One in the south

And an 8th spot for a back-door.
I like your thinking, The North should have a least 2 sections with NO southern subs. :shock:
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

elliott70 wrote:Then we could have
7AA with nine teams
Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Cloquet
Duluth Marshall
Hibbing
Hermantown
Virginia
Int'l. Falls
That would be by far the toughest and deepest section in the state. Zero cupcakes - there could be ranked teams playing in the play-in game in many years.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Aitkin knows what hockey is? You mean that town knows something other than john deer tractors and wrestlin' in the mud with pigs?
artifactually153

Post by artifactually153 »

PuckRanger wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Then we could have
7AA with nine teams
Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Cloquet
Duluth Marshall
Hibbing
Hermantown
Virginia
Int'l. Falls
That would be by far the toughest and deepest section in the state. Zero cupcakes - there could be ranked teams playing in the play-in game in many years.
damn thatd be some good hockey to watch