Grandrapids @ Greenway - December 7

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

Green Machine

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Nobody brought up AJ. But since you did he might just get a start real soon. 13 shots, 5 goals tonight the coaches have to be a bit frustrated looking at those numbers.
niper-hawkfan

Re: Green Machine

Post by niper-hawkfan »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Nobody brought up AJ. But since you did he might just get a start real soon. 13 shots, 5 goals tonight the coaches have to be a bit frustrated looking at those numbers.
Your wrong. their was a chant from the rapids section. We got Aj. but the thing is what good will he do anyone when he doesnt play? good door opener
boblee

post 8778

Post by boblee »

Actually, there was 17 shots by the Raiders. I bet AJ will play in Brainerd Tuesday. Fun hockey game today. Sam Rendle, Robb Roy, Jack Moore all looked VERY good. Alex Guyer and Trevor Guyer both played very good games for Greenway. Fun to watch, fun to listen to the fans. Rapids fans did chant we got AJ, but if I was Greenway, I would want him. They could be a near contender with a rock solid goalie. Good game, hats off to Greenway no doubt, they grinded hard for 51 minutes, woulda been easy to pack it in after getting outshot 17-2 in the first, but they did not. Outstanding.
northwoods oldtimer

Tending the Nets

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Thanks for the update boblee the radio boys had it wrong than on shot total. Sounds like it was a spirited game to take in for all fans.
boblee

post 8779

Post by boblee »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Thanks for the update boblee the radio boys had it wrong than on shot total. Sounds like it was a spirited game to take in for all fans.
You bet. That is at least what the PA guys numbers added up to
sotahockey13

Re: post 8778

Post by sotahockey13 »

Actually AJ really isnt a solid goalie if you look at his numbers last year for greenway they werent amazing..... look at the scores last year. As far as any people from greenway are concerned rapids can keep AJ he is a traitor and I hope he feels really good sitting on the bench for Grand Rapids

boblee wrote:Actually, there was 17 shots by the Raiders. I bet AJ will play in Brainerd Tuesday. Fun hockey game today. Sam Rendle, Robb Roy, Jack Moore all looked VERY good. Alex Guyer and Trevor Guyer both played very good games for Greenway. Fun to watch, fun to listen to the fans. Rapids fans did chant we got AJ, but if I was Greenway, I would want him. They could be a near contender with a rock solid goalie. Good game, hats off to Greenway no doubt, they grinded hard for 51 minutes, woulda been easy to pack it in after getting outshot 17-2 in the first, but they did not. Outstanding.
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

sotahockey13 wrote:Actually AJ really isnt a solid goalie if you look at his numbers last year for greenway they werent amazing..... look at the scores last year. As far as any people from greenway are concerned rapids can keep AJ he is a traitor and I hope he feels really good sitting on the bench for Grand Rapids

boblee wrote:Actually, there was 17 shots by the Raiders. I bet AJ will play in Brainerd Tuesday. Fun hockey game today. Sam Rendle, Robb Roy, Jack Moore all looked VERY good. Alex Guyer and Trevor Guyer both played very good games for Greenway. Fun to watch, fun to listen to the fans. Rapids fans did chant we got AJ, but if I was Greenway, I would want him. They could be a near contender with a rock solid goalie. Good game, hats off to Greenway no doubt, they grinded hard for 51 minutes, woulda been easy to pack it in after getting outshot 17-2 in the first, but they did not. Outstanding.
Sour grapes. A.J. Underwood is in the top echelon of goaltenders in our area. At the moment, he's caught in a numbers game in GR. I'm certain there are many across the bridge that would still want him in the net for Greenway. He would make that team a contender rather than on the outside looking in. This season, and possibly next, Greenway is probably just a goaltender away from being a force. You can throw last year's numbers out. Look at the team they put out there in front of him. While some of the players are back for Greenway this year, the experience level just wasn't there last season. Those players took their lumps last year and to their credit, are back stronger and hungrier. The Underwood's had their reason's to move, and to do what they feel is best. Calling someone a traitor and being bitter about it, without knowing the true reasons is a bit cowardly. A.J. Underwood is a solid addition to the GR family, and we're damn proud to have him.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

sotahockey13 wrote:Actually AJ really isnt a solid goalie if you look at his numbers last year for greenway they werent amazing..... look at the scores last year. As far as any people from greenway are concerned rapids can keep AJ he is a traitor and I hope he feels really good sitting on the bench for Grand Rapids

Greenway fans were pretty quick to accept Corey Carlson when he transferred there from Two Harbors, weren't they? Was he a "traitor"?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
GRhawky

Post by GRhawky »

Look at the support AJ had behind him last year at Greenway? He had very little help from his teammates. They made a good tender look average. Some teams have the ability to make a good goalie look great. It will be interesting to see what hey can do with more defensive support behind him
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

I hope so, ive watched figgins and tabaka and the goaltending is not there yet,its time to see what the third goalie has to prove, there carring him for some reason.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Re: post 8776

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

boblee wrote:
norcon wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:If the rapidly declining thunderhawks give up some soft goals and play a sub par defensive game like they did against the Forest Lake juggernaut they will get beat in the snake pit. If it is close in the third you all know what will happen....lots of 5 on 3 hockey for the 'green macheeeeeene' and that will have the thunder faithful in a spun up heap! Look for a spirited game with the zebra's factoring if she gets close in the third. Orange and black club better bury the biscuit early or this one will have the 'indian foreskin' crying foul and the boys at Sheps wishing they were back in the 7 double A. My boy Rob Roy better bury the hatchet early and often or the greenies will mount a surprise attack in the third if you know what I mean.
I don't know which game you were watching when Rapids played Forest Lake, but if I recall correctly, the T-hawks outshot FL 51-24. The only reason they didn't get the W was because Tabaka had an off-night. The
boys do need to start putting the puck in the back of the net.
I would say the only reason they didn't get the W is because they only score 3 times on 51 shots. I don't see how Tabaka can be blamed.
Very true 51 GUT SHOTS these opposing goalies must have a bullseye on there jersey. I dont see anyone trying to pick a corner or make a play.
dangelingranger-17

Post by dangelingranger-17 »

wounder who he will get mad at this year. and where their next move will be?
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

GR3343 wrote: GR was completely deficient in their own end all night. With the exception of Sam Rendle, no defenseman had a good night. Goaltending was suspect at best. Scoring was not an issue as most of the forwards had good games. Strong game from Jack Moore. GR is going to have to shore things up with some tough, tough teams coming up on the schedule. Back to the drawing board.
There were numerous situations throughout the 2nd and 3rd periods where I found myself cringing when I saw certain people on the ice. The defensive support for whoever is in goal needs to be there more consistently.
It is what it is!
center ice

Post by center ice »

[quote="norcon"][quote="center ice"]Don't count out Greenway. They played Virginia on the back rink and finished 20 minutes before hitting the ice against EG/ME at the IRC jamboree, but couldn't do to Little Falls what Virginia did.
As for Grand Rapids, they had the benefit of injuries to Grivette and Buccanero. This game is in Coleraine and, really, could go either way.

Those two players wouldn't have made much of a difference. Rapids was shorthanded for a good portion of the first two periods and twice they killed two-man advantages. If there would have been more five on five play, Rapids would have blown them out.[/quote]

Two players that don't make a difference? Virginia probably scores on those two man advantages, along with a couple of other PP with them in the game. Also, GR may not have scored 5. But that's not the case. Virginia was missing two quality players and lost 5-2. GR deserved the
penalties they got. Obviously, their strategy was to play a hard hitting
game. Cloquet proved that.
As for another post earlier, EG/ME had a little more time to rest and get something to eat before hitting the ice with Greenway. The Raiders barely had time to change jerseys and get a drink of water.
Either way, I called a pick 'em 5-4 and it was 6-5 with the lead changing throughout the game. Would have liked to have watched it.
sotahockey13

Post by sotahockey13 »

east hockey wrote:

Greenway fans were pretty quick to accept Corey Carlson when he transferred there from Two Harbors, weren't they? Was he a "traitor"?

Lee
the difference is that aj went to rapids and in greenway that is the worst place he could have gone had he gone to hermantown or hibbing people would not have cared that much
eastranger19

Post by eastranger19 »

Greenway is always trying to recruit, did'nt they have a kid from Grand rapids when they went to state, If I remember he was there best Defenseman, also a family from Bloomington who saw the light after a couple years and went back there. Get over it, go on and win your normal 5 to 7 games at best, and let the dedicated players move on. I'am surprised the Ohrn kid is still there, maybe he'll wake up and get out to. Rumor has it this is his last year there.
The Hammer

Rapids Defense

Post by The Hammer »

I'm reading text about the weak D that Rapids has had thus far this year.
Rendal and Kosak have been outstanding but beyond that the coaches will have to earn their paychecks

I hear some great things about the other AJ that Rapids has and it's not the goalie.
Didn't this kid play on some national junior teams? What is a talent like this doing on JV :?:
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Rapids and Greenway have so much history together. Wheres the love?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

:lol:
norcon

Post by norcon »

I grew up playing hockey at a school where it graduates less than half what Greenway does and they still put out teams that are respectable each year. Yes it is more difficult to put a winning program together year in and year out when you don't have as many kids competing for spots.
I've always heard that they have decent numbers at the mite and squirt level. So what's happening to these kids?