Fergus Falls vs. Apollo

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will come out with the W?

Apollo
71%
Fergus Falls
29%

Total votes: 21

Coach Bus

Fergus Falls vs. Apollo

Post by Coach Bus » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:53 pm

so, what are some predictions..
Member of the STC Alliance since 2007.

Scsu

Post by Scsu » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:36 am

No doubt apollo will win 4-2

Post by 319 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:48 am

Apollo 5-3

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:57 am

Fergus 4 Apollo 2

STC18

Post by STC18 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:20 pm

I hate to say it, but I think apollo gets the W 3-2.

CarGuy

Post by CarGuy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:30 pm

fergus falls will win 5-2...........that being said, its hard to watch apoloos fall from grace...not that they were ever a power house, but at least they used to play elk river, moorhead, roseau, cretin etc....is it true that such a large high school has moved down to class A this year? their schedule is filled by many teams that didnthave a program up until 5 years ago...kind of embarrassing

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:48 pm

CarGuy wrote:fergus falls will win 5-2...........that being said, its hard to watch apoloos fall from grace...not that they were ever a power house, but at least they used to play elk river, moorhead, roseau, cretin etc....is it true that such a large high school has moved down to class A this year? their schedule is filled by many teams that didnthave a program up until 5 years ago...kind of embarrassing
Being a cross bar away from state and winning 20 games a year for five years in a row isn't being a powerhouse? You're right, they played those schools when they had the enrollment that dictated that they play AA, they have had an A enrollment for the past three years but chose to play AA for the past two seasons. They are by no means a large school, they play where their enrollment says they should play, A. I see four teams at most on their schedule that didn't have a team five years ago, I wouldn't really call that filled.

All that being said:
Eagles 4
Otters 2
The U invented swagger.

teko11

Post by teko11 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:53 pm

The game has been cancelled.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:55 pm

teko11 wrote:The game has been cancelled.
Canceled or postponed Teko?
The U invented swagger.

teko11

Post by teko11 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:56 pm

Postponed, TBA.

Sorry Goldy.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:01 pm

teko11 wrote:Postponed, TBA.

Sorry Goldy.
That's what I figured, didn't think it was possible to just cancel a game.
The U invented swagger.

CarGuy

Post by CarGuy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:29 pm

come on goldy....apolllo has neverbeen a power house..are you kidding me? they havenever once played in a section final except the infamous crossbar incedent you speak of against roseau...should woulda coulda? to be a powerhouse you should havemade it to many section championships and have qualified for the state tourney a time or two....only in 1982 i believe did apollo make itto state...they never came close tobeating moorhead or roseau the past countless seasons..and their enrollmentis still high enough that they should be class AA....they fill both a varsity and a JV...they just dont have the talent.

teko11

Post by teko11 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:35 pm

CarGuy wrote:come on goldy....apolllo has neverbeen a power house..are you kidding me? they havenever once played in a section final except the infamous crossbar incedent you speak of against roseau...should woulda coulda? to be a powerhouse you should havemade it to many section championships and have qualified for the state tourney a time or two....only in 1982 i believe did apollo make itto state...they never came close tobeating moorhead or roseau the past countless seasons..and their enrollmentis still high enough that they should be class AA....they fill both a varsity and a JV...they just dont have the talent.
Apollo must have played in more then just one section final if they made it to state once and lost in the cross bar incident another year. Right?

George Blanda

Post by George Blanda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:36 pm

CarGuy wrote:come on goldy....apolllo has neverbeen a power house..are you kidding me? they havenever once played in a section final except the infamous crossbar incedent you speak of against roseau...should woulda coulda? to be a powerhouse you should havemade it to many section championships and have qualified for the state tourney a time or two....only in 1982 i believe did apollo make itto state...they never came close tobeating moorhead or roseau the past countless seasons..and their enrollmentis still high enough that they should be class AA....they fill both a varsity and a JV...they just dont have the talent.
What?! You can't opt down a class. Therefore, their enrollment designates them to Class A. That's where they should be playing.

And in the late 1990s and early 2000s...they had some damn good teams. Not state tourney teams, but 20 win teams. In 1999, Apollo was the second best team in the state. Just unfortunate to have to have played Roseau in the section finals. If you can remember correctly, Roseau easily won that state tourney.

If Apollo wasn't a powerhouse for those years, they were as close as you can get to being one without actually being one.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:59 pm

As George just said, you can't chose to opt down just because you "don't have enough talent" They're playing where their enrollment says that they should be playing. Which is class A.

EDIT
They went to state in 84, not 82. So last time I checked that means that they have had at least two section final games.
The U invented swagger.

Ben Dover

Post by Ben Dover » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Apollo 5-2
Empty netter.
Final Answer.

International Falls

Post by International Falls » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:
As George just said, you can't chose to opt down just because you "don't have enough talent" They're playing where their enrollment says that they should be playing. Which is class A.

EDIT
They went to state in 84, not 82. So last time I checked that means that they have had at least two section final games.

I think Goldy just wants to be George

bigwheelXXX

2001-2002 Get your history books out!

Post by bigwheelXXX » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:10 pm

That year was the final year the Eagles beat Moorhead and Roseau. I believe it was the last 20 win or close too, season they had. Howe and Hartman took games over. Thats how I remember the last REAL TIME any scouts were in the MAC too. Even NHL guys. But Hey, I'm old and I only watch the Tech vs. Apollo games these days. Not living in town makes it tough. I will say that Apollo should carry the town torch this year, that is if Thies and Christian stay around. YOu all know the history with the eagles and keeping good guys around. But....... It really can't be too hard considering who they play right. I mean they didn;t put up any points against the big "AA" dogs the last two seasons.

Big Mystery aint it.

George Blanda

Re: 2001-2002 Get your history books out!

Post by George Blanda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:13 pm

bigwheelXXX wrote:That year was the final year the Eagles beat Moorhead and Roseau. I believe it was the last 20 win or close too, season they had. Howe and Hartman took games over. Thats how I remember the last REAL TIME any scouts were in the MAC too. Even NHL guys. But Hey, I'm old and I only watch the Tech vs. Apollo games these days. Not living in town makes it tough. I will say that Apollo should carry the town torch this year, that is if Thies and Christian stay around. YOu all know the history with the eagles and keeping good guys around. But....... It really can't be too hard considering who they play right. I mean they didn;t put up any points against the big "AA" dogs the last two seasons.

Big Mystery aint it.
That's debateable as there is a kid in town that might attract one or two scouts.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey

bigwheelXXX

ooops forgot

Post by bigwheelXXX » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:21 pm

That Schmidt kid is pretty good I heard. Duluth guys were talking about him at last year. I forgot about him. Is he the real deal? I haven't seem him play yet.

Re: 2001-2002 Get your history books out!

Post by 319 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:42 am

bigwheelXXX wrote:That year was the final year the Eagles beat Moorhead and Roseau. I believe it was the last 20 win or close too, season they had. Howe and Hartman took games over. Thats how I remember the last REAL TIME any scouts were in the MAC too. Even NHL guys. But Hey, I'm old and I only watch the Tech vs. Apollo games these days. Not living in town makes it tough. I will say that Apollo should carry the town torch this year, that is if Thies and Christian stay around. YOu all know the history with the eagles and keeping good guys around. But....... It really can't be too hard considering who they play right. I mean they didn;t put up any points against the big "AA" dogs the last two seasons.

Big Mystery aint it.
Apollo has a new coach this year and from what I have seen it has made a big difference. Let alone they have some great talent on line #1 and very good goaltending. Never underestimate what difference a coach can make in the attitude and work ethic of the players. Apollo is not the same team this year.

bigwheelXXX

Post by bigwheelXXX » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:25 am

So whats changed from last year? Weren't they together then? Stats show them as the only line to score any goals from the year before. Now they play an inferior schedule. They might be talented, but against who? Beating teams by a lot that only only win 2 games all year. Not knocking the new coach, but don't you think it would've been the same if they played the same schedule last year?

Winning early, makes any attitude better I would think 319er.

Ben Dover

Post by Ben Dover » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:58 am

George Blanda wrote: What?! You can't opt down a class. Therefore, their enrollment designates them to Class A. That's where they should be playing.

And in the late 1990s and early 2000s...they had some damn good teams. Not state tourney teams, but 20 win teams. In 1999, Apollo was the second best team in the state. Just unfortunate to have to have played Roseau in the section finals. If you can remember correctly, Roseau easily won that state tourney.
You could easily say the same thing about the tigers. The 03-04 team 23-4-1 losing only to Breck in OT, Moorhead, a fluky game with Alex, and the section finals game to Moorhead. In fact, I believe that was Cathedrals "State Tournament Team" And I also beleive Tech beat the Crusaders that year int he GCC ..what? 7 to 3.

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:24 am

bigwheelXXX wrote:So whats changed from last year? Weren't they together then? Stats show them as the only line to score any goals from the year before. Now they play an inferior schedule. They might be talented, but against who? Beating teams by a lot that only only win 2 games all year. Not knocking the new coach, but don't you think it would've been the same if they played the same schedule last year?

Winning early, makes any attitude better I would think 319er.
The only real difference in the schedule this year compared to last year is the games against Moorhead (7-1 loss) Roseau (8-0 loss). Losses like that do about the same good as beating a 2 win team by eight goals.

As for scoring. They graduated a total of 8 goals. The first line had 55 goals and the rest of the returning players tallied 16. They lost a total of 10% of the scoring from last year. The first line players also only had 15 goals the year before, so as you can see, they have improved quite well from the 05-06 season to the 06-07 season. I expect some of the other returning players to see an increase in their production from last year to this year. BTW, the one goal against Moorhead wasn't from a first line player.

As for the attitude. They have had a great attitude from the start of the season. That might have more to do with the section they are in now compared to last year. They look to be very competative in 6a with a top four team, unlike last season when you know you have little to no chance against Moorhead AND Roseau being in your section. Look at Bemidji for example. Apollo competed very well against them, lost in OT but had the first scoring chance ring off the pipe. Bemidji goes on to lose 6-0 to the eventual State champions. They are also playing were their enrollment puts them this year.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:00 am

Here are the enrollment number for this years competitive section breakdown between “AA” and “A”.
3099 to 1358 == AA
1359 to 1 === A

Apollo is at 1165 kids
Sauk Rapids is at 1128 kids
Alexandria is at 1278 kids (use to be “AA” too?)
Tech is at 1462 kids
Brainerd is at 1964 kids