Minnesota goalies and the NHL

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

scottym01

Minnesota goalies and the NHL

Post by scottym01 »

Why do you think there are so few goalies from Minnesota that have had success in the NHL? We have a lot of NHL forwards and D men but goalies have been stuck in the minors for the most part. Rob Staubar is the only guy that comes to mind and even he played less than 100 games.

I personally think it has to do with the number of games and quality shots a goalie sees if you take the typical Minnesota hockey route.

High School, 2-3 years, 25-30 games (less if you have to split time)
Junior Hockey, 1-2 years, 60 games total with most goalies playing 30-35
College Hockey, 4 years, 40 games with many splitting time

Major Junior plays 72 games a year and a starter will play 50 games a season for 2-3 years.

With so many NHL starters being from Canada or Europe and the Major Junior or European Pro route it makes you wonder.

I believe only Thomas (BOS), Miller (BUF), Conklin (BUF), and Dipetro (NYI) were NCAA goalies (might be missing one). That would mean 56 of the 60 NHL goalies played elsewhere.

I love Minnesota and high school hockey but if you have a goalie that has the ability to play at the next level it is something to think about.
rayfinkel

Re: Minnesota goalies and the NHL

Post by rayfinkel »

I believe only Thomas (BOS), Miller (BUF), Conklin (BUF), and Dipetro (NYI) were NCAA goalies (might be missing one). That would mean 56 of the 60 NHL goalies played elsewhere.

Curtis Mchlhinney from calgary played for CC
John Grahame from carolina played for Lake Superior state
Jonathan Quick from LA kings played for Umass amherst
Dan Ellis from Nashville played for UNO
Wade dubielewicz from NYI played for Denver

These guys arent from the US but all played in the NCAA
sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 »

I think you've answered your own question and I've heard of Kevin Hartzell (coach of the Sioux Falls junior team) preaching the same thing when he was in Minny.
He Hate Me

Post by He Hate Me »

Adam Hauser played in an NHL game once upon a time.... need not mention how he did but he made it :D
Absit Invidia
O-townClown

Re: Minnesota goalies and the NHL

Post by O-townClown »

scottym01 wrote:Why do you think there are so few goalies from Minnesota that have had success in the NHL? We have a lot of NHL forwards and D men but goalies have been stuck in the minors for the most part. Rob Staubar is the only guy that comes to mind and even he played less than 100 games.
Omission.

Damien Rhodes is younger than Robb Stauber (or at least I think he is; HS class of '87 versus '86) and played like a decade.

Other than that, your premise is correct. Plus the fact that goalies from Quebec are like blacks in college basketball. They have to prove they CAN'T play while a white player has to prove he CAN.
O-townClown

Ed Belfour

Post by O-townClown »

Belfour went the college route and it never held him back, so I think you are on to an interesting study. Why do some guys do well with NCAA experience but why is it so rare.
Be kind. Rewind.
wolfpack33

Post by wolfpack33 »

Jon Casey had a nice career both in college and in the NHL
goalieguy1

Post by goalieguy1 »

Dwayne Roloson also was an NCAA goalie (UMass-Lowell, I believe), though he played some juniors before going to school.

The problem of adequate goalie coaching is an issue everywhere, but it seems particularly acute in youth and high school settings. Most high schools have no budgets for a goalie coach, and most youth coaches' idea of goalie training is to have the kid stand there and get pucks blasted at him. Most Canadian junior teams, on the other hand, have a coach dedicated to goalie training. It's just a more productive environment.
rams1989

Post by rams1989 »

Marty Turco has done well in the NHL (other than playoffs) following his NCAA career.

My take is there isn't enough emphasis put on developing goaltenders in MN. I don't feel the number of games has nearly the effect the amount of ice time has. In other words, players develop with ice time, not game time. I don't remember the last time I went to open hockey ice time and saw a goalie in pads. Of course, just my opinion.
hipcheck

goalies

Post by hipcheck »

Ken Dryden Cornell University Montreal Canadiens
texasgoalie33

Post by texasgoalie33 »

i agree with goalieguy1... there is a HUGE lack of goalie training in minnesota. i moved here a couple years ago from texas and i have found that goalies in minn dont get the attention they deserve. Down in houston they have goalie clinics 1-2 times a week all year long. houston has turned out some very good goalies in the past few years, but due to the lack of knowledge that there IS hockey in texas, many of them (like me) head elsewhere (east coast, utah, and minnesota) to further their game. i have been to week long goalie camps here in minn that were good, (netminders extreme was very good) but goalies need more than just a couple of weeks out of the year for training. i am fortunate enough to have a former umd goalie as a coach, but im sure there are many schools out there who are not as fortunate. i have relatives in canada and i visit there often. their goalie community is unbelievable!
MNsGreatest#2

Post by MNsGreatest#2 »

Its seems like the thing is that in other places, goalie instruction comes along with being on a team, which it should. But the way it works in MN is these tenders have to drop a$$ loads of money into clinics like Stauber etc. Maybe there would be more good goalie if the training was just given to them. But these clinics do pump out some terrific net minders.
duda

Post by duda »

you are retarded, there are 60 spots for goalies in the nhl, thats not a lot. There is about 550 spots for forwards and defenseman. Obviously like every position, the best players will come from Canada and Europe.