Michael Lee

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mn4hockey

Post by mn4hockey » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:56 pm

From what ive seen of mike lee... he's an excellent goalie. but why would you choose st. cloud? and why so early? i heard people say it takes pressure off kids if they commit early, but i still don't see the point. Exspecially from a goalies standpoint. If a goalie wants to play in the NHL the only school I would choose in the wcha is Wisconsin. Don't get me wrong the WCHA is the best college league in the country in my opinion, but not for goalies. Who was the last goalie that played for the gophers or und that also went on to play in the nhl? Ed belfour, what did adam hauser play one game i think? Wade Diewbulwietz(spelling ?) from denver is active in the nhl, but i can't think of any others without doing any research. Granted if you're good enough theyll find you. All i'm saying is why commit so early and settle for a middle class school for your position? Why not go some place where they traditionally have some success in your position? just a few thoughts. Either way it's still a great accomplishment for Lee, and Congrats to him. Good Luck at the Next level. St. Cloud got the steal of the year.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:16 am

mn4hockey wrote:From what ive seen of mike lee... he's an excellent goalie. but why would you choose st. cloud? and why so early? i heard people say it takes pressure off kids if they commit early, but i still don't see the point. Exspecially from a goalies standpoint. If a goalie wants to play in the NHL the only school I would choose in the wcha is Wisconsin. Don't get me wrong the WCHA is the best college league in the country in my opinion, but not for goalies. Who was the last goalie that played for the gophers or und that also went on to play in the nhl? Ed belfour, what did adam hauser play one game i think? Wade Diewbulwietz(spelling ?) from denver is active in the nhl, but i can't think of any others without doing any research. Granted if you're good enough theyll find you. All i'm saying is why commit so early and settle for a middle class school for your position? Why not go some place where they traditionally have some success in your position? just a few thoughts. Either way it's still a great accomplishment for Lee, and Congrats to him. Good Luck at the Next level. St. Cloud got the steal of the year.
First off, you don't know if his life's dream is to play in the NHL. Even if it is, have you ever heard of a guy named Frank Brimsek? Sam LoPristi? What if he's satisfied with just being an All-American? Anybody remember Scott Meyer? How about a guy named Bobby Goepfert? Care to rethink that "middle class school for your position" statement? Ever heard the phrase "better dead than red"?

I normally don't have problems with opinions, but I do when they're laden with false assumptions.

slapshot89

Post by slapshot89 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:59 am

Maybe he feels comfortable with the program knowing that Oliver is playing there. In the article posted earlier he also said something about knowing Marvin who is currently playing for the huskies.

Dexter Morgan

Post by Dexter Morgan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:29 pm

Maybe he likes to party. What better school to go to than SCSU.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:55 pm

slapshot89 wrote:Maybe he feels comfortable with the program knowing that Oliver is playing there. In the article posted earlier he also said something about knowing Marvin who is currently playing for the huskies.
Warroad's Ravndalen will be starting around the same time as well.

All-American Goaltenders from the WCHA since 1998
2007 - Bobby Goepfert (SCSU)
2006 - Bobby Goepfert (SCSU)
2006 - Brian Elliott (Wisconsin)
2005 - Curtis McElhinney (CC)
2004 - Bernd Brückler (Wisconsin)
2003 - Curtis McElhinney (CC)
2002 - Wade Dubielewicz (DU)
2001 - Scott Meyer (SCSU)
2000 - Karl Goehring (UND)
1998 - Karl Goehring (UND)

SCSU - 3
Wisconsin - 2
UND - 2
CC - 2
DU - 1
Minnesota - 0
UMD - 0
MSUM - 0
Michigan Tech - 0
UAA - 0

fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:02 pm

mn4hockey wrote:From what ive seen of mike lee... he's an excellent goalie. but why would you choose st. cloud? and why so early? i heard people say it takes pressure off kids if they commit early, but i still don't see the point. Exspecially from a goalies standpoint. If a goalie wants to play in the NHL the only school I would choose in the wcha is Wisconsin. Don't get me wrong the WCHA is the best college league in the country in my opinion, but not for goalies. Who was the last goalie that played for the gophers or und that also went on to play in the nhl? Ed belfour, what did adam hauser play one game i think? Wade Diewbulwietz(spelling ?) from denver is active in the nhl, but i can't think of any others without doing any research. Granted if you're good enough theyll find you. All i'm saying is why commit so early and settle for a middle class school for your position? Why not go some place where they traditionally have some success in your position? just a few thoughts. Either way it's still a great accomplishment for Lee, and Congrats to him. Good Luck at the Next level. St. Cloud got the steal of the year.
Yeah you're right. Why on earth would anybody want to play for a team that's in the top half of the WCHA and top 20 in the country year-after-year. What a ludicrous idea.. :roll:

I don't know why this bothers me so much but it's ESPECIALLY - not EXspecially. I hate when people pronounce it with the X in there. that may be why it bothered me so much.. :idea:

mn4hockey

Post by mn4hockey » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:54 pm

"the exiled one"
false assumptions? you name one goalie that played in the nhl in the 1940's(Frank Brimsek), Maybe two (Lopristi), and all of a sudden that makes st. cloud above average for goaltending. And you're right i dont know if it's Lee's dream to play in the NHL, that's why i used the word "IF". But my guess is that he's not going to st. cloud for their academics. So now that ive rethought my statement, i would stick to middle class at best. But you're right if he's happy with "just" being and all-american, than st. cloud is obviously the best place to go because you thought of three times where a st. cloud goalie was named all american in the past ten years. Try looking back a lil further and see what you come up with. Either way being an all american has little to do with where you play. I don't know Mike Lee, so i can't really say if st. cloud is the right fit for him. Maybe it's been his life dream to play at st. cloud. who knows. I was simply pointing out that there are better options.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:29 pm

mn4hockey wrote:"the exiled one"
false assumptions? you name one goalie that played in the nhl in the 1940's(Frank Brimsek), Maybe two (Lopristi), and all of a sudden that makes st. cloud above average for goaltending. And you're right i dont know if it's Lee's dream to play in the NHL, that's why i used the word "IF". But my guess is that he's not going to st. cloud for their academics. So now that ive rethought my statement, i would stick to middle class at best. But you're right if he's happy with "just" being and all-american, than st. cloud is obviously the best place to go because you thought of three times where a st. cloud goalie was named all american in the past ten years. Try looking back a lil further and see what you come up with. Either way being an all american has little to do with where you play. I don't know Mike Lee, so i can't really say if st. cloud is the right fit for him. Maybe it's been his life dream to play at st. cloud. who knows. I was simply pointing out that there are better options.
So 70 years is too much and 10 years is too little? Tell us, oh Great One, what is the perfect criteria to use when judging the best WCHA goaltending school? Care to give us a rank of schools and some facts to back up your statements? If not, I'll happily agree to disagree with your "opinion".

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:47 pm

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:06 pm

I don't think there is any doubt at all that UW easily has the best track record for goalie development. As much as I hate to say that from a Gopher standpoint, UW's mixture of past and present success in goalie development with Bill Howard is unrivaled by any WCHA school. It is a good thing too because their team offense is generally about as strong as a wet napkin in the last 5+ years..... :lol:

As much as it is nice to have good regular season numbers, there is something to be said for guys who can rise to the occasion in net when the games are most meaningful. As good as his regular season stats were, Goepfert clearly had problems when the games meant the most. The guy never had a Final Five or NCAA performance in which he gave up less than four goals. That is not exactly good stuff when your team needs you at your best. :oops:

cesar_maniago

Post by cesar_maniago » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:29 am

I know everybody loves this kid like he's the next Stauber, but I saw Bemidji's JV beat him last year 3-1 in January. He got on a roll after that, but I remain unconvinced of this kid's greatness. He's got a great team playing in front of him. I'd like to see what he'd do with a bad team, and facing 40 shots a night.

2nd string

Post by 2nd string » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:24 pm

Dexter Morgan wrote:Maybe he likes to party. What better school to go to than SCSU.
Believe me this kid does not party, Straight A student one of the nicest kids you would find in the rink. In fact I have never been around a better mannered team in my life these kids are something else, the whole team is really well behaved. I would imagine his Coach had a lot of influence on him, not that I know, but when his son is going there could have had some factor in the situation. This kid could of went anywhere.

2nd string

Post by 2nd string » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:27 pm

cesar_maniago wrote:I know everybody loves this kid like he's the next Stauber, but I saw Bemidji's JV beat him last year 3-1 in January. He got on a roll after that, but I remain unconvinced of this kid's greatness. He's got a great team playing in front of him. I'd like to see what he'd do with a bad team, and facing 40 shots a night.
Watch one game of only him and you will be convinced

2nd string

Post by 2nd string » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:29 pm

sorry about that I meant to say more that one game