Roseau @ Moorhead, Tuesday, Dec 11

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Re: Respect

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

rightwinger wrote:
Reviewer wrote: I'm just suprised at the "strong" Moorhead student cheering section, they started taking off half way through the third period. I can see if you're the visiting team but never leave early at home unless there's a life or death emergency.
That is a sign of a "new era" hockey power like Moorhead, Centennial, et al. Those things are taught by old time hockey parents and fans. I really don't ever recall Moorhead hockey previous to about 1991.....Not to offend, but is that not the case?
I can here the, "what about 1987?", cry coming from the spud cheering section.
rightwinger

Post by rightwinger »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
rightwinger wrote:
Reviewer wrote: I'm just suprised at the "strong" Moorhead student cheering section, they started taking off half way through the third period. I can see if you're the visiting team but never leave early at home unless there's a life or death emergency.
That is a sign of a "new era" hockey power like Moorhead, Centennial, et al. Those things are taught by old time hockey parents and fans. I really don't ever recall Moorhead hockey previous to about 1991.....Not to offend, but is that not the case?
Please fill me in. I know the Rams were brutal that year.
bauerhky22

Post by bauerhky22 »

rightwinger wrote:
I don't ever remember leaving a Ram game early. Doesn't matter what the score is. I even stayed for the whole time during that game against Warroad a few years back. The only way I could see any Ram Fan leave early is if there was a 2 for 1 special at the Legion!!! :lol:
td577

Post by td577 »

A couple of observations about the game. I don't know what the time of possession was, but it to seriously favor Roseau. The spuds look very young, made a lot of turnovers, and seem to play the game very mechanically vs. the Rams playing instinctively.

I am not sure why Moorhead waited until the third period to start getting physical. They sure seem to be looking for an identity and I won't be surprised if this group of players look a lot more physical by the end of the year for the entire game.

Lee was outstanding. Ness seemed to never leave the ice. Roseau started getting a lot of quality shots on goal when they started carrying the puck in instead of dumping it in the corner. Roseau seemed a lot faster and more physical in the middle of the ice and Moorhead seemed to own the boards.

It was a fun game to watch if you were a Ram fan. I would be very surprised if Moorhead doesn't drastically improve by the section tourney. Roseau needs to make sure they are improving as well as better teams will expoit their mistakes, like cheap turnovers on the defensive side which Lee took care of fairly efficiently.

Tonight was the first time I saw Lee in person. He is very smooth. He doesn't flop around out there and every move is efficient and purposeful. Very fun to watch him.

There is one aspect of the game I don't know very much about. I noticed during last year's tourney run that Lee holds the puck every time and tonight wasn't much different. Is this normal for high school goalies to not drop and pass? Is it because he is still pretty young and you will trade faceoffs for mistakes? Or is this part of a strategy for particular opponents where you think you will win a ultra-majority of faceoffs anyways?
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

rightwinger wrote:
rightwinger wrote: That is a sign of a "new era" hockey power like Moorhead, Centennial, et al. Those things are taught by old time hockey parents and fans. I really don't ever recall Moorhead hockey previous to about 1991.....Not to offend, but is that not the case?
Sorry, Typo I meant 1986. Spuds upset Warroad in the quarters only to have Big George crush their state tourney dreams in the finals. Moorheads first hockey trophy, that I can remember.
Ole the Goalie

Post by Ole the Goalie »

rightwinger wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote: I can here the, "what about 1987?", cry coming from the spud cheering section.
Sorry, Typo I meant 1986. Spuds upset Warroad in the quarters only to have Big George crush their state tourney dreams in the finals. Moorheads first hockey trophy, that I can remember.
Their first trophy was in a 10 - 1 loss? Nice!!
Ram Hockey

Post by Ram Hockey »

Goals by Period 1 2 3 Tot
----------------------------------
Roseau.............. 2 2 3 - 7
Moorhead............ 1 0 1 - 2

1st period - 1, ROS, Cole Kostrzewski/1 1:45. 2, ROS, Aaron Ness/4
(Kevin Erickson) 2:45. 3, MHD, Ben Ammerman/3 16:59 (sh). Penalties -
Ben Ammerman, MHD (delaying the game) 6:44; Aaron Ness, ROS (slashing)
8:49; Blake Kostich, MHD (charging) 13:20; Adam Knochenmus, ROS
(charging) 14:25; Jordan Doschadis, MHD (cross-checking) 16:38.

2nd period - 4, ROS, Aaron Ness/5 (Ben Nelson) 1:41. 5, ROS, Jason
Fabian/1 (Ben Nelson, Kevin Erickson) 9:38 (pp). Penalties - Brock
Buckellew, MHD (slashing) 7:27; Aaron Wheeler, MHD (tripping) 9:15;
Nick Oliver, ROS (hooking) 10:51.

3rd period - 6, ROS, Dustin Moser/1 (Ben Nelson) 5:13 (pp). 7, ROS,
Aaron Ness/6 7:54 (pp). 8, MHD, Joe Becker/2 (Nick Thielen) 12:34
(pp). 9, ROS, Cole Kostrzewski/2 (Adam Lykken) 12:45 (sh). Penalties -
Ben Ammerman, MHD (tripping) 5:01; Alex Altenbernd, MHD (tripping)
6:50; Jason Strand, MHD (interference) 10:25; Tyler Landman, ROS
(cross-checking) 10:53; Nick Oliver, ROS (fighting) 10:53; Ian
Cochran, MHD (fighting) 10:53; Nick Oliver, ROS (game misconduct)
10:53; Ian Cochran, MHD (game misconduct) 10:53.

Shots on goal - ROS 11-11-13 35; MHD 10-7-6 23.

Power plays - ROS 3 of 8; MHD 1 of 4.

Penalties - ROS 6 (13 min); MHD 10 (21 min).

Goalies - ROS, Mike Lee 4-0 (51:00 minutes, 23 shots-21 saves);
MHD, Cooper Holm (09:06, 4-3) , Coleman Wagner 3-2 (41:54, 31-25).
SB24

Post by SB24 »

I don't ever remember leaving a Ram game early. Doesn't matter what the score is. I even stayed for the whole time during that game against Warroad a few years back. The only way I could see any Ram Fan leave early is if there was a 2 for 1 special at the Legion!!! :lol

i was at that game and u might not have left but lots of "ram fans" were outa there. you could sit any place you wanted by the start of the 3rd
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

Undercover Hockey Lover wrote:Roseau has outshot opponents and has won games but they have yet to really dominate on the scoreboard. Since this is in Moorhead I'll take the Spuds in a mini-upset.
#-o Dear Summer Santa, all I want is a subscription to ESPN News... :oops: :lol:
Hockey Moms are Hottest!!!
CitiesSpudsGuy

Statement made

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

Seems to me that the outcome of this game only solidifies what most people already thought coming into this season - that Roseau owns section 8 this year and probably next year (not to mention the last 2 years). They have the section by the you-know-what's.

After watching the Spuds against WBL, I knew then that they weren't as strong on defense as they have been in past years and I had a feeling Roseau would light them up. The Spuds will probably be better defensively by the end of the season, but I still don't think they will be able to win the section.

I can only see 2 things possibly stopping the Rams. One - overconfidence, which I doubt will happen. Two - injuries. The only question in my mind now, if they stay healthy, is will they be undefeated when they get to St. Paul in March? I think they have a great shot at it.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

After i left Fargo with some friends to watch the game in PR...i remembered that Roseau was playing Moorhead...I was upset until my buddy called me and let me know it was a blow out....I had a sense of relief and glad I didnt miss a close game or something....although im not gonna lie...the PR/DL wasnt that great to watch...but the roady was well worth the gas...if you read all of that Im sorry.....but I thought id share my experience....and UHL we are late nighters :lol:
Catch me On YouTube @ FishOnLuke
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

Rams7 Spuds 2

ANY QUESTIONS? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Just a couple questions: What happened to the Spuds? Will anyone compete with Roseau in sections?
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

[quote="Pioneerprideguy"]Just a couple questions: What happened to the Spuds? They faced Roseau!
Will anyone compete with Roseau in sections? No!
slapshooter

7,265th post by SS since Feb 27th 2002 What'd I tell ya?

Post by slapshooter »

=P~ :arrow: It's just like I said much like I'd been sane. [-(

[-X :arrow: B(_!_)T yImageu wouldn't listen to my rotating :arrow: Image

Image :arrow: Wood Yewz? :arrow: SImageS
Last edited by slapshooter on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Indian Head

Post by Indian Head »

Looks like SCSU recruit Oliver had another stellar game for the Rams. Several penalties, misconduct and no points in a blowout. I wonder what the coach has to say about that?
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Indian Head wrote:Looks like SCSU recruit Oliver had another stellar game for the Rams. Several penalties, misconduct and no points in a blowout. I wonder what the coach has to say about that?
I still scratch my head wondering what Motzko was thinking in offering him so early.
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

like it matters. a letter of intent means nothing except that if you fall off your in trouble because nobody else is looking at you. its almost a black ball status.
boblee

post 8840

Post by boblee »

Roseau and Moorhead fans~

Don't forget what happened last season. The Spuds blew the Rams out twice and then the Rams won the state championship.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

watchdog wrote:like it matters. a letter of intent means nothing except that if you fall off your in trouble because nobody else is looking at you. its almost a black ball status.
He hasn't signed a letter of intent. Can't do that until November of his senior year. But he obviously received an offer of some sort as you don't commit somewhere without one.
Gopher Blog

Re: post 8840

Post by Gopher Blog »

boblee wrote:Roseau and Moorhead fans~

Don't forget what happened last season. The Spuds blew the Rams out twice and then the Rams won the state championship.
I don't see that happening with Roseau. Not this year.
HockeyFan1

Re: post 8840

Post by HockeyFan1 »

Not quite the same comparison here bob........sorry.
boblee

post 8842

Post by boblee »

HockeyFan1 wrote:

Not quite the same comparison here bob........sorry.
No one expected Roseau to get by Moorhead last year after the first two meetings. At least very few outside of the Roseau faithful. Point is, games in early December mean next to nothing.
Gopher Blog

Re: post 8842

Post by Gopher Blog »

boblee wrote:No one expected Roseau to get by Moorhead last year after the first two meetings. At least very few outside of the Roseau faithful. Point is, games in early December mean next to nothing.
Well, upsets do happen. However, I don't see anything on Moorhead that would equate to the likelihood to spring an upset like Roseau had last year.
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

How about a 1 - 0 game with a goalie that stands on his head? Gee...what does that sound like? :wink:
Hockey Moms are Hottest!!!