BEST JGB COACH

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

blazinghockey

BEST JGB COACH

Post by blazinghockey »

Just wondering if anyone has a clue? I'm guessing the top teams have the better coaches. RAVE, WBL teams, Lakeville etc..
Throw your two cents in.
woody240sr

Post by woody240sr »

i have played for edina and ep junior gold b and i think that there both really cool they are nice and lad back most of the time haha but ya so far thats my thought.
LakevilleHcky08

Post by LakevilleHcky08 »

best junior gold b coach by a far is scott orrey of lakeville. he has beenin the league a long time, put together allot of good teams from a and b, and is deffinetly the nicest coach ever!
who_b_dat

Post by who_b_dat »

LakevilleHcky08 wrote:best junior gold b coach by a far is scott orrey of lakeville. he has beenin the league a long time, put together allot of good teams from a and b, and is deffinetly the nicest coach ever!
+1 Scott's a great guy an a great coach. :wink:
WBhockey08

Post by WBhockey08 »

mark from wessys boys, total stud, wants to buy his team beer but doesnt cause he knos its illegal
FBK19

Post by FBK19 »

WBhockey08 wrote:mark from wessys boys, total stud, wants to buy his team beer but doesnt cause he knos its illegal
hahahaha...well put
WBhockey08

Post by WBhockey08 »

this is a tough topic cause not many people kno more than just there own coaches so obviously everyone will just tsay they have a tight coach. like oi did
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

Wayzata (Pete) and Edina (Steve) coaches are pretty good. The past few years, their teams play pretty disciplined and solid hockey even when they haven't had the most talent in the league. Buffalo's coach (Dave) is pretty good too and defintely gets the most out of his players.
JR.

Post by JR. »

Ron Brom of White Bear Orange is the better of the two WBL coaches, he is laid back and knows how to get the best out of his players. The other WBL coach had 3 players quit his team from last year and join Brom's team.
chuck-a-puck

Post by chuck-a-puck »

Pete Demaio from IGH. he has been coaching for over 20 years and he is a great guy. but yeah it is hard to say who is the best coeach when mostly everyone knows only there own coach. but i talked to the Lakeville coach down in Albert Lea for awhile and he seems to know his stuff and he is a nice guy.
buffJG4life07

Post by buffJG4life07 »

thanks for metioning Dave from buffalo, he has done wonders for out JG program, about five years ago all jr gold games in buffalo had to have a police officer present other wise the association would not allow play, now we have made a run in the state tournament and we have a good number of fans at all home games. he doesnt even have a kid on the team and more yet he continues to stay on. he knows how the get the best out of all of us. he has made us a decent underdog team that can suprise some of the better teams if we show up and play.
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

I like the RAVE coaching staff. I've seen 4 games of theirs and those guys keep a very calm and focused bench. They definitely have a variety of talent on the team. They have 3 or 4 kids that probably played varsity (or could have) and those kids consistently go out and do their job. It's the younger, less experienced kids where you see the coaching staff excel. They really seem to get the most out of all of their players.

Their calm and focused bench trickles down to the players. Other coaches that yell and scream and are out of control create players that play 'out of control.'

I think the Edina coaches seem to get the job done, too. I hear good things about Lakeville and I'll be seeing them soon... more to come on that.
ref/scout

Post by ref/scout »

if you are talking about the best jr. gold coach ever then I would have to say it was TOM HORTON from Tartan. He coached for many years, did a lot with the league and brought the jr. gold program to a great level until he retired a couple of years ago. I reffed many of his games and he was truly the best coach i have seen in my years!!

If you are talking about current coaches then i would have to say that probally the RAVE coach is the best. He controls his team and knows how to play the game correctly.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

The coaches mentioned above are all deserving,I would also add Pat Donahue(Pops) from Centennial. He came back into coaching because his grandsons Jr Gold team needed a coach. That was quite a few years ago and he always seems now to take the Jr Gold team nobody else wants.
buffjrgold13

Post by buffjrgold13 »

UNDlars wrote:Wayzata (Pete) and Edina (Steve) coaches are pretty good. The past few years, their teams play pretty disciplined and solid hockey even when they haven't had the most talent in the league. Buffalo's coach (Dave) is pretty good too and defintely gets the most out of his players.
I agree with choosing Dave as a great coach. I haven't payed too close of attention to how other teams' coaches play their lines, but Dave will play a solid 4 lines even though they might not be the most skilled players. We could be playing the number one team in state and, unlike most coaches who will play their top players throughout the game, Dave will still play 4 lines up until crunch time. Of course, towards the end of a close game late in the third he will put out the go-to guys, but that's a part of being a good coach also. The kids love this style of coaching and it's starting to draw a bigger crowd to buffalo's jr. gold hockey program.
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

ref/scout wrote:if you are talking about the best jr. gold coach ever then I would have to say it was TOM HORTON from Tartan. He coached for many years, did a lot with the league and brought the jr. gold program to a great level until he retired a couple of years ago. I reffed many of his games and he was truly the best coach i have seen in my years!!

If you are talking about current coaches then i would have to say that probably the RAVE coach is the best. He controls his team and knows how to play the game correctly.
I'm glad you responded. As a ref- you truly know about a coach's demeanor on the bench. The RAVE's staff always seem very respectful of the officials. The players pick up on that and act the same way towards the officials.
WBhockey08

Post by WBhockey08 »

MNHockeyStats wrote:
ref/scout wrote:if you are talking about the best jr. gold coach ever then I would have to say it was TOM HORTON from Tartan. He coached for many years, did a lot with the league and brought the jr. gold program to a great level until he retired a couple of years ago. I reffed many of his games and he was truly the best coach i have seen in my years!!

If you are talking about current coaches then i would have to say that probably the RAVE coach is the best. He controls his team and knows how to play the game correctly.
I'm glad you responded. As a ref- you truly know about a coach's demeanor on the bench. The RAVE's staff always seem very respectful of the officials. The players pick up on that and act the same way towards the officials.

its ashame the good tartan caoch retired cause they used to be good. aparently from what i hear now the new tartan coach isnt controlling his team to well.
ref/scout

Post by ref/scout »

Yes i have to agree but that is what you get a lot of times when you start getting programs to have the parents of the players to coach.

In my opinion higher levels of hockey need to find a coach that doesn't have a son on the team. In some instances coaches that have kids on the team but i have seen in my reffing career that those coaches seem to play a lot more favoritism and the kids that get screwed are the ones that start playing cheap.

The former tartan coach (Tom Horton) and some other coaches that i have seen play a lot more fair and know how to react in to the officials and to the kids.

I would like to congratulate all of the associations that are willing to pay a little money to get a coach that is willing to play fair and teach the kids to have good sportsmanship on the ice. Those are the types of coaches that have given JR GOLD a good reputation.
mnpuckmaster

Post by mnpuckmaster »

Al Carstensen- Hastings. Hands Down.
dangles016

Post by dangles016 »

[quote="chuck-a-puck"]Pete Demaio from IGH
Last edited by dangles016 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGFU!!
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

I have heard a lot of good things about the lakeville coach
Last edited by Bash Brother on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BB
freighttrain

Post by freighttrain »

Last edited by freighttrain on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

IGH looked like they didnt know an offensive or defensive system...or a breakout. i dont know if thats a reflection of coaching.
BB
Jimmy Dean

Post by Jimmy Dean »

Maple Grove has a couple of skilled coach's at the B level, just need a little more talent though.