TV Observation

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

minnhockfan14

TV Observation

Post by minnhockfan14 »

I have purchased the B2 subscription to watch this tourney live, since I do not live in the state. It has been almost 10 years since seeing this incredible tourney on tv. And I have to say, what has happened. The tourney should be about the players, not Housley Foundation (while a great cause), Lou's book, past tourneys that have been overused, etc. There are no player profiles, little facts about the players, it has turned into an infomercial. I dont care about Housleys high school playing days, or what Doug Woog said about Housley faceoff in some tourney. Let it be about the kids, the players, the schools.

Sorry, my opinion.
deacon

Post by deacon »

agreed
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

There taking e-mails....... send em one... :lol:
Cabela10

Post by Cabela10 »

I agree. I think it would be cool to get player profiles of them growing up in there respective youth programs. Do a story about the Edina top line growing up together and winning everything or something to that extent.

Tell me what their favorite pregame meal is. Tell me about the individual or show me that there dad played in the state tourney back in the day. Anything instead of Phil Housley.
Kurdatz

Post by Kurdatz »

I can't agree more. I've seen the same damn intermission special about the seeding process, which was started last year, twice already.

I remember when they used to have player profiles every now and then, and back in the 80's where the schools that made it to state had a music video to accompany their team to state (and that was FUN!) It usually showcased student life, some hockey clips from inter-section or conference play, and then did an actually rundown of the school iteself - enrollment, a picture or something, noteable grads - things like that.

I could care less about some of this crap they are showing now. What about some of the amazing stories these kids have had in their own lives, outside of hockey?

We all know some of the noteables that have made it to the tournament over the years and the special player who made it to the pros, but that was their time then. It should be about these kids now.
Duluth Denfeld Alum
tUMD Alum
former sect 7 ref
skiumah

Post by skiumah »

I remember Channel 4 having participating schools do a fun skit or music video. I also miss the facts being flashed on the lower screen during the game. I guess that's why I also like Lou Nanne so much- just reminds me of the tournament when I was a kid (mid 80s). And the clear boards...
Saintpaulhockey1

Post by Saintpaulhockey1 »

who has the link for sending them emails?
Kurdatz

Post by Kurdatz »

Clear boards, no ads on the ice, and Cooperall pants...ahhhh the 80's tourneys were something to behold. Back when WCCO and KMSP both had the big rights.
Duluth Denfeld Alum
tUMD Alum
former sect 7 ref
K Dope

Post by K Dope »

Housley is ruining this thing...
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

K Dope wrote:Housley is ruining this thing...
Housley is an amateur and it shows but what is Matvick's excuse? He sucks.
K Dope

Post by K Dope »

Gopher Blog wrote:
Good point, but just like Housley made other players around him better. On air, he makes other announcers worse.
Kurdatz

Post by Kurdatz »

K Dope wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:
Good point, but just like Housley made other players around him better. On air, he makes other announcers worse.
I love this statement!
Duluth Denfeld Alum
tUMD Alum
former sect 7 ref
Can't Never Tried

Saintpaulhockey1 wrote:who has the link for sending them emails?
Hey I may have mis lead you, I'm listening to MSBN for the games,
and reading to all these complaints on the bored.

MSBN said they were taking e-mails, and that's probably because they do a good job and don't get nasty grams!

:P
K Dope

Post by K Dope »

Kurdatz wrote:
K Dope wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote: Housley is an amateur and it shows but what is Matvick's excuse? He sucks.
I love this statement!
Thank you. I have more.
Kurdatz

Post by Kurdatz »

Now they're doing the John Mayasich segment all over again...second time for that. Come on guys! Do you really think that people who watch the AA games DONT watch the A games? Thats rhetorical stupidity on behalf of the TV station if you ask me.

Nothing agaisnt the great one Mayasich, but up to my points made above in earlier posts, there's certainly a lot better way to spend airtime. This isn't one of them. Or in this case, two of them. :roll:
Duluth Denfeld Alum
tUMD Alum
former sect 7 ref
Can't Never Tried

Kurdatz wrote:Now they're doing the John Mayasich segment all over again...second time for that. Come on guys! Do you really think that people who watch the AA games DONT watch the A games? Thats rhetorical stupidity on behalf of the TV station if you ask me.

Nothing agaisnt the great one Mayasich, but up to my points made above in earlier posts, there's certainly a lot better way to spend airtime. This isn't one of them. Or in this case, two of them. :roll:
Maybe they just did a poor job of preparing for the tourney, and have little if any actual reporting to offer, so they talk about the things they know...each other.
:?
islesskater

Post by islesskater »

You guys are right on all of this-- although I do like seeing a lot of the old tournament clips-- there is a huge lack of profiles of this year's kids and teams.

It's all a product of the tournament going to KSTC. They just don't have the staff or are given the money to hire a staff to do such features. They have to put things "in the can" that they know they will use (unfortunately again and again and again). They can't really run the risk of doing too many stories on kids or teams-- that then wouldn't make it to state.

They just don't have the staff to throw together stories in a week (once they know who's qualified)-- like WCCO and KSTP used to be able to do. The network affiliates had 10 or so crews at their disposal to go everywhere and do a bunch of things in a week-- KSTC has hardly anybody-- they get help from sister station KSTP, but not enough.
Can't Never Tried

islesskater wrote:You guys are right on all of this-- although I do like seeing a lot of the old tournament clips-- there is a huge lack of profiles of this year's kids and teams.

It's all a product of the tournament going to KSTC. They just don't have the staff or are given the money to hire a staff to do such features. They have to put things "in the can" that they know they will use (unfortunately again and again and again). They can't really run the risk of doing too many stories on kids or teams-- that then wouldn't make it to state.

They just don't have the staff to throw together stories in a week (once they know who's qualified)-- like WCCO and KSTP used to be able to do. The network affiliates had 10 or so crews at their disposal to go everywhere and do a bunch of things in a week-- KSTC has hardly anybody-- they get help from sister station KSTP, but not enough.
Well most community newspapers, or local cable channels would probably be glad to offer the stories, pictures, even video on their local teams and players, as many have a great deal of info on these teams and players readily at hand by seasons end, and what would it cost them a plug :roll:
Kurdatz

Post by Kurdatz »

islesskater wrote:You guys are right on all of this-- although I do like seeing a lot of the old tournament clips-- there is a huge lack of profiles of this year's kids and teams.

I totally agree with you. But then I think KSTC is doing the tournament at the expense of the fans and the players. The state tournament USED to be a media frenzy - and town affilites used to put together packages and send them to WCCO or KSTP when their local teams made the tourney...such isn't the case anymore and its pretty sad. If canned footage is all they have, it makes for a less colorful experience at the games...especially now that we have the A and AA games, you'd think there'd be more opportunity to air things, but we're seeing re-hashed crap over and over again.

These guys need a media enema. :roll:
Duluth Denfeld Alum
tUMD Alum
former sect 7 ref
ndhockeyrep

Post by ndhockeyrep »

think they will do the seeding prcess again this intermission or talk about housleys old days?
Kurdatz

Post by Kurdatz »

ndhockeyrep wrote:think they will do the seeding prcess again this intermission or talk about housleys old days?
Hell I hope not. The way he's going, it doesn't sound like he's seen any "new days". :roll:
Duluth Denfeld Alum
tUMD Alum
former sect 7 ref
islesskater

Post by islesskater »

head of programming at KSTC:

msmith@hbi.com
ndhockeyrep

Post by ndhockeyrep »

Somebody scream
Can't Never Tried

Look ya go on your computer, then go to Mn. Sports Broadcast network, then turn the sound on the TV down, these guys are doing a really good job.
I know there is usually a delay but that may be more tolerable then what your listening to.

http://www.mnsportsnetwork.com/
gopherhockey99

Post by gopherhockey99 »

I'm not on a mission to bash Housley, but my God please replace him. He's terrible color commentary for the games, screws up almost any name, and stumbles through every sentence he puts together. On a side note, i do think the replaying of the prior h.s. tournament legends is getting pretty redundant. last year when they showed legendary h.s. cities such as i falls, eveleth, hibbing i believe i saw each city 4 times