Best Bantam "A" Goalie

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Post by observer »

Thank you. So did Dugas play more of what you would consider to be the tougher opponents? Often times goalies play close to an equal number of games but the #1 goalie gets more of the tougher games. Tourney Championships, etc. The true #1 would have played more of the tough ones.
Chaos777

Post by Chaos777 »

observer wrote:Thank you. So did Dugas play more of what you would consider to be the tougher opponents? Often times goalies play close to an equal number of games but the #1 goalie gets more of the tougher games. Tourney Championships, etc. The true #1 would have played more of the tough ones.
The split against tougher opponents is pretty close to even as well. Take for example their LA Tournament. Evers played Westchester and LA, Dugas played Detroit and Westchester. Some of the best competition in the nation at that tournament, goalies split pretty equally, although Dugas was up for the placing game. Evers however played the placing game in the Roseau tournament. So those were split pretty equally as well. Dugas's first loss of the season came against who could arguably be called the best 95 team in the world, the Russian Red Army, who beat both LA and Detroit. From a pure statistics point of view, Evers has 2 more losses and 2 more ties than Dugas. The Fire have only played three tournaments this year from what it looks like. In the first tournament, Russia knocked them out in quarter finals against Dugas. In the second, Evers played the placing game. In the third, Dugas played the placing game. So for your question, championship's in tournaments have been split as well.
hockeyjoe069

Post by hockeyjoe069 »

i would say Mahtomedi Goalie I think his name is Colin Denis, I know he is number 1. He's flexible and very quick. He also has a great glove hand.
AJuno2009

Re: Fire Goalies

Post by AJuno2009 »

Chaos777 wrote:
AJuno2009 wrote:I'm not able to find the stats that Chaos is referring to...nor is there a current roster to admire. My guess, Mr. Chaos is diligently trying to self promote his son. I've watched both Fire Goalies this year... the #1 Fire Goalie is very good. However, the #2 Fire Goalie is average. I would doubt that the #2 Fire Goalie could play Bantam A in MN...most likely, he would be a solid Bantam B1 goalie. Maybe with a little diet control... he could be a #2 Bantam A Goalie.

The Rochester Red goalie is a stand out.
Hate to burst your bubble, but your guess is wrong. I am the father of no children. Dugas is not my kid. I would appreciate if you keep uneducated guesses to yourself, considering they lessen your own credibility. Promoting the skill of a player means nothing in terms of parentage. As far as stats go, it doesn't take too much effort to look at W/L record, shutout record, or GAA / GA list and put together some numbers. I merely put the effort into figuring them out, and yes, they are impressive. I too, like yourself, have seen both fire goalies play, so I am not uneducated when it comes to analyzing the skill of the two. And I would agree with your assessment of the two Fire goalies.
We should change the title of this thread to: Hockey Dads Gone Wild. Chaos, please don't B.S. the thread... the MN hockey scene is not that large. Everyone knows that you are promoting your kid... crack me up... you're thinking that you're so coy. The intimate details to stats, the games, etc.... the clincher, my son doesn't need diet control... he's just husky/chunky.
Chaos777

Re: Fire Goalies

Post by Chaos777 »

AJuno2009 wrote:
Chaos777 wrote:
AJuno2009 wrote:I'm not able to find the stats that Chaos is referring to...nor is there a current roster to admire. My guess, Mr. Chaos is diligently trying to self promote his son. I've watched both Fire Goalies this year... the #1 Fire Goalie is very good. However, the #2 Fire Goalie is average. I would doubt that the #2 Fire Goalie could play Bantam A in MN...most likely, he would be a solid Bantam B1 goalie. Maybe with a little diet control... he could be a #2 Bantam A Goalie.

The Rochester Red goalie is a stand out.
Hate to burst your bubble, but your guess is wrong. I am the father of no children. Dugas is not my kid. I would appreciate if you keep uneducated guesses to yourself, considering they lessen your own credibility. Promoting the skill of a player means nothing in terms of parentage. As far as stats go, it doesn't take too much effort to look at W/L record, shutout record, or GAA / GA list and put together some numbers. I merely put the effort into figuring them out, and yes, they are impressive. I too, like yourself, have seen both fire goalies play, so I am not uneducated when it comes to analyzing the skill of the two. And I would agree with your assessment of the two Fire goalies.
We should change the title of this thread to: Hockey Dads Gone Wild. Chaos, please don't B.S. the thread... the MN hockey scene is not that large. Everyone knows that you are promoting your kid... crack me up... you're thinking that you're so coy. The intimate details to stats, the games, etc.... the clincher, my son doesn't need diet control... he's just husky/chunky.
I am not even old enough to legally drink yet, if that helps set your wild assumptions in order. I don't have any kids, let alone one that plays goalie for the Fire. I don't understand you're inaccurate, uneducated assumptions that are backed up with absolutely no evidence. There are lot's of posters on these forums that commend the skill of many players. Commending the skill of a player doesn't mean I'm the father of a kid "diligently trying to support my son", as you so put it. Keep your uneducated guesses to yourself, this thread was supposed to be talking about A Bantam goalies, not accusations made about a poster's genetic lineage.
edinahornetkid24

Post by edinahornetkid24 »

Beaupre? I hope I spelled that right. :) :D
SSMCO

Post by SSMCO »

Pretty funny
conditioningsucks

Post by conditioningsucks »

All of these "best of boards" are a joke. Who is anyone trying to kid?

Chaos...you are definitely not under 21. Kids that post here under the age of 21 post in the same manner that they write text messages to their buddies.....terrible english, misspellings, and slang. You don't qualify.

You're just part of a long list of promoters that appear on this board as well as others (like Best Bantam A, or Best B1 goaltender, etc.).

Just quickly scanning this board we have players or their parents pimping themselves. Rippin7 promotes the Hopkins goalie, Hogwarts promotes the Wayzata goalie, some Stillwater guy is pushing the Stillwater goalie, another promotes the Rochester goalie. The Edina goalie has been pumped. Then we get St. Peter high school and Elk River goalies. Now we get a '95 Fire goalie pumped on here (which, I have seen the Fire play a half dozen times this year and neither of them are in the top 20 Bantam A goalies in the state).

Give it a rest pumpers - not only on this thread, but on all of the other 'Best of Threads'. Here are your 'best goalies' - the ones that take their teams further than expected (e.g. if a goalie from Prior Lake took his team to regionals, I would say that kid is one of your best goalies as he survived a D6 onslaught) - one that consistently upsets opponents. I haven't seen one of these yet this year and it is still too early to determine if there is one.
Chaos777

Post by Chaos777 »

SSMCO wrote:
Chaos777 wrote:
observer wrote:Chaos, help us out here.

The two 95 Fire goalies are Evers and Dugas. I assumed Evers was the number one goalie and started 80% of the games. Dugas more of a practice goalie and backup. Neither is likely in the top 10 of Bantam A goalies but that's another discussion. Both are chunky, that I know.

Who is the 95 Fire #1 goalie?
Of their 44 games what was the approximate split in terms of number of games played?
The Fire have played 47 games this year. Dugas has played more games than Evers, although the split is very close to around 50 / 50. Dugas I believe has played 25 games, Evers 22. The number one fire goalie for the 95's would be Dugas, in my humble opinion. He appears to be the more in shape, quicker, sharper and technique focused than Evers, however do not count Evers out as a backup. Like I said, the split is close to 50/50, Evers is a very solid goaltender and stops the puck very well, but I think Dugas is the stronger of the two. As far as chunky, I wouldn't say Dugas is chunky, but he has a stocky sort of build. Evers is the larger of the two.

Just my take on the 95 Fire goaltending situation. Both goalies have potential.
Ohhh okay underage drinker, Dugas, even myhockey.com isn't updated to your stat computation or number of games played. You're "humble opinion" or "merely" verbiage is not high school jargon. I know for a fact that your son will be looking for a new team next year. Brown water isn't what you're drinking, it's what you're seeing in the toilet.
If I was really the father of a kid who played hockey, do you honestly think that I would be idiotic enough to try and brag about him or try to promote him on an internet forum? Think about that for a second, how much sense would that make? I feel sorry for any parent that feels the need to promote their kid via an internet forum, it seems like a pathetic excuse for promotion in my humble opinion. I am growing more irritated very time I see a post with uneducated accusations that I am "trying to promote my own son", thinking that I am the father of Dugas. I am not the father of Dugas, let alone any children at all.
Chaos777

Post by Chaos777 »

conditioningsucks wrote: Chaos...you are definitely not under 21. Kids that post here under the age of 21 post in the same manner that they write text messages to their buddies.....terrible english, misspellings, and slang. You don't qualify..
Because utilizing the english language in the correct manner automatically signifies that I am not over the age of 21? Right... that makes a lot of sense. Because highschool and college aged kids are completely incapable of using grammar correctly right? Everyone types like a moron until the age of 21?
Denier

Post by Denier »

Conditioning you have a good point about these best of boards but I am just trying to get people to express what they feel so if another team comes up against them, they know what to expect.
Everyone just stick to Bantam A goalies strictly. Even if a goalie is qualified to play Bantam A, but isn't, don't say them on here. Bantam A goalies only.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Franke elkriver H S Stillwater number 1
hockeykid1010

Post by hockeykid1010 »

I have seen both of the two fire goalies play and evers appears to be starting a lot more games and ,honestly i have watched both of them and evers seems to be the more quicker one
hockeyguy60

Post by hockeyguy60 »

Chaos777 wrote:John Dugas is a 95 goaltender from the Wisconsin Fire, very consistent and has put up some very impressive stats and wins this year.

Patrick Munson, 95 goaltender from White Bear is a very flexible and quick goaltender, very good as well.

Rochester goalie, who's name I don't know is also skilled.
There are some much better goalies than Dugas. He's not bad but he's solid. The Rochester goalie is very good. Also Justin Quale is good for Hopkins.
love2skate

Post by love2skate »

how about Olsen from Apple Valley?
dump and chase

Post by dump and chase »

does hopkins only have one bantam a goalie?
hockeyman84

Post by hockeyman84 »

dump and chase wrote:does hopkins only have one bantam a goalie?
Yes
conditioningsucks

Back to my self promotion rants this morning!

If they have only one goalie the kid has a 3.0 GAA on the season (per MN HockeyRankings.com). Hopkins played a relatively light schedule this year and a 3.0 is fairly high for a top bantam goalie, so someone explain to me what I am missing.
218er

Post by 218er »

Ian West from Highland Park Bantam A'a is one of the best I've seen. He is extremely athletic. His only downside is his size, but he makes up for it with his quickness.
conditioningsucks

Here we go again, I thought I got rid of this stuff with the "Best of" awards post (it was fun while it lasted). These goalie ones are the easiest to debunk because there is data out there.

Based on MN Hockey Rankings Highland has played a very week schedule this year and the kid has a 2.56 GAA. That is not worthy of being a top goalie.

You have to sell me a little bit better on why this guy is the bomb. Is Highland's defense just that bad that this guy carries the team (against weak competition, no less)?
32HockeyFan

Post by 32HockeyFan »

Of any stat you could use, goals against average is the worst barometer to use when evaluating a goalie. It's about save percentage, quality of shots faced, odd man rushes, scoring chances, rebound control, etc. Is someone that faces 30 quality shots a game and has a GAA of 3.0 worse than a goalie that faces 12 weak shots a game and has a GAA of 1.0?
conditioningsucks

[quote="32HockeyFan"]Of any stat you could use, goals against average is the worst barometer to use when evaluating a goalie. It's about save percentage, quality of shots faced, odd man rushes, scoring chances, rebound control, etc. Is someone that faces 30 quality shots a game and has a GAA of 3.0 worse than a goalie that faces 12 weak shots a game and has a GAA of 1.0?[/quote]

I agree completely that GAA is the worst of all goaltending stats. However, it can give you a general idea when compared with the team's schedule. Save percentage is even better and there are even better stats that can be created that take into account some of the things you mention.

Here is the deal here - Highland played a weak schedule of opponents - none of them known for their sniping ability except for White Bear Lake (where Highland let in 7 goals). All of their other opponents were unranked except for Apple Valley and Minneapolis Park.

To be blunt - who is seeing the quality shots? A kid from the top 10 ranked teams who is facing the toughest bantam teams and snipers week in and week out; or a kid who is seeing shots from a bunch of patsies? You can make some assumptions with GAA when you review a team's schedule. My feeling is that a 2.56 GAA against patsies isn't strong.

This is why I ask, what am I missing here? Is Highland's defense that bad that this guy basically carries the team?
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

32HockeyFan wrote:Of any stat you could use, goals against average is the worst barometer to use when evaluating a goalie. It's about save percentage, quality of shots faced, odd man rushes, scoring chances, rebound control, etc. Is someone that faces 30 quality shots a game and has a GAA of 3.0 worse than a goalie that faces 12 weak shots a game and has a GAA of 1.0?
Agreed 100%. At this age I personally look at fundamentals and how each goalie moves, if he squares to the shot, how he recovers ect... At the high school level competition starts to level out to an extent and its easier to look at stats and evaluate. It takes zero effort or thought to look at how many goals were given up by someone and judge their ability on that...
wingman

Best Goalie

Post by wingman »

I would have to say the Tartan A Bantam goalie was the best I saw all year.
bluemancrew

Post by bluemancrew »

hockeyjoe069 wrote:i would say Mahtomedi Goalie I think his name is Colin Denis, I know he is number 1. He's flexible and very quick. He also has a great glove hand.
I agree. I saw him play in the MN Elite Classic last year. He stopped some very challenging pucks.

Go>>--Blue!