U12A D6 Region Prediction?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Hockeydaddy

U12A D6 Region Prediction?

Post by Hockeydaddy »

The Big 3 in D6 are Edina Green, Eden Prairie and Burnsville, and barring some sort of miracle should advance to the Region.

But who's the fourth team?

Could be almost any of the remaining teams, maybe not Shakopee. None of the remaining teams has a great offense and some have very good defenses and/or goalies. (Minnetonka, Prior Lake, Edina White) Pens4, I know you see these teams up close - who gets out?
Pens4

Post by Pens4 »

HD...All the games are a battle now. Minnetonka sure is playing well and probably has the most talent but Prior Lake has solid goaltending and very stingy. Bloomington would be the dark horse with a couple of strong forwards and a big wall for a goalie.
U10Father

Post by U10Father »

The race is to get to that #5 spot in the standings then you get to Districts for Double Elimination and avoid the whole play-in thing.

I think Tonka will get there, we have a couple easy games in there. We could finish 4th if all goes well.

We have had good games with the Big 3, and lost a close one to PL. Chaska is playing better now from what we hear. We've had 3 good games with Edina White, their little goalie is great. (So is PL's)

I'd guess the next group might line up:

Tonka
Prior Lake
Edina White
Bloomington
Apple Valley
Chaska
Shakopee

As to the big 3, Edina Green is one great first unit - they might be the best group of 5 in state but they lack depth
EP is deep but doesn't have any real superstars
Burnsville is strong, strong, strong

I think EP and Burnsville can shut down Edina's one good line (which plays about half the game) and their second and third units will take them further.
Pens4

Post by Pens4 »

The EP - Burnsville game was very intense (great to see when the girls reach that point). Ep 2 -Burnsville 1

QUESTION: How do referee's get caught off guard by this intensity, to a point where they are completely overwhelmed?

These two guys pretty much did it all. The disallowed a couple good goals; allowed a goal after the whistle; ejected a parent....not enough though...had to "T" the parent up and turn it into a 5-3...resulted in eventual game winner. I was impressed with the Bville coach's control.
Burnsville took 5 straight penalties in 2nd to lose their happy point.

SOOOO..Its a shame when you have to tell your team between the 2nd and 3rd that I guarantee the refs will be looking to call penalties on us so...Keep your feet moving, no hooking, stay out of the scrums.

First minute of the 3rd they hit us with a mouth guard call and then with 4 more minor's with the final one at 0:00 which cost us our happy point.

Has anyone ever send D6 a critique on the refs?
HockeyMom5

Post by HockeyMom5 »

Last edited by HockeyMom5 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
rinkrat555

Post by rinkrat555 »

yep, D6 refs can't handle physical play of the girls. my advice- if your girl is eligible for HS next year, let her play
mnhkylvr

Post by mnhkylvr »

rinkrat555 wrote:yep, D6 refs can't handle physical play of the girls. my advice- if your girl is eligible for HS next year, let her play
Sorry - but unfortunately girls HS refs aren't any better. :roll: It's a shame.
rinkrat555

Post by rinkrat555 »

not saying they're great but they do allow physical play without the arm flying up in the air every time there is contact. just my experience when comparing D6 refs at the U12 level and girls hs hockey refs....that's all.
blondegirlsdad

Post by blondegirlsdad »

I just think they need to call things consistently so the kids know what to do. Even on the same ref'ing team you can find very different interpretations of the rules. Example: Our team got a "check from behind" early this year and they tossed the kid for what was fairly borderline, but you could call it that way if you were really being strict. Then in later games, the D6 refs called the lesser check from behind penalties, one in a case where a girl got seriously hurt. Sometimes they don't call the penalty at all, and the only determining factor is how injured the recipient of the check is.

Does anyone know if the same refs work all levels - it just seems like the girls get shafted.
Pens4

Post by Pens4 »

Hats Off to the D6 Scheduler for his Notradamus-like insite.

Minnetonka, Prior Lake & Bloomington all playing each other in almost a round-robin tourney to decide #4-6 seedings. And by they way...each play Edina Green which is never a small task.

GREAT FINISH and I don't see the brackets finalized untill game #16.
blondegirlsdad

This weekend

Post by blondegirlsdad »

A few things happened this weekend:

1) Edina Green clinched first - with EP and Burnsville only having one game left each, they can't catch Edina Green.

2) Minnetonka beats Bloomington. It looks more and more like Minnetonka and Prior Lake will get the byes, which make the play-in bracket fun.

3) The fact that EP & Burnsville each have very winnable games left, and EP swept the series means that EP will be #2 and get that first round bye and Burnsville will have to play an extra game. If EP gets the happy point while beating a physical AV team, they get 2nd tonight. We've played both Edina Green and EP, and they're both so good.
U10Father

Post by U10Father »

Heading into next week, it looks like this:

The big 3 are still the big 3, but I agree that EP and Edina are a little bigger. Prior Lake has 3 games in 5 nights, including a back-to-back. We have 3 in 6 nights, including the good Edina team. The 2/10 game with Prior Lake will likely determine 4th. 4th place gets to play the play-in winner (unless Apple Valley beats Prior Lake), which should be a win, but then you get Edina. It looks like all you have to do is win your second game to get into regions, right? Just tryin' to figure a way to play in Stillwater...
blondegirlsdad

Heading into the weekend

Post by blondegirlsdad »

Tonka dad was correct. The back to back for Prior Lake saw them lose 2, but if they get the bunny point they get 5th.

Tonka locks into #4, Chaska locks into #9

Play-in bracket should be fun
Pens4

Post by Pens4 »

U10Father wrote:Heading into next week, it looks like this:

The big 3 are still the big 3, but I agree that EP and Edina are a little bigger. Prior Lake has 3 games in 5 nights, including a back-to-back. We have 3 in 6 nights, including the good Edina team. The 2/10 game with Prior Lake will likely determine 4th. 4th place gets to play the play-in winner (unless Apple Valley beats Prior Lake), which should be a win, but then you get Edina. It looks like all you have to do is win your second game to get into regions, right? Just tryin' to figure a way to play in Stillwater...
With four teams going from L6..The winners of the 2/24 games and then the winners of the 2/25 games all will advance to the eastern border.
blondegirlsdad

Post by blondegirlsdad »

Haven't seen results from Edina Green and Minnetonka (U10Father where are ya buddy?), but they don't matter in the standings. We got throttled by Burnsville, so the play-in is set. Chaska/Shakopee against Apple Valley and Edina White gets Bloomington, all for the opportunity to keep playing against Tonka.
U10Father

Post by U10Father »

We lost to the Evil Empire... But it was close, so we're feeling good heading into districts. I still think Eden Prairie and Burnsville are better than Edina, but it's very hard to score against the Hornets. Good luck to everyone in the playoffs.