What is going on with the Cyclones AAA

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

shoot_the_puck

What is going on with the Cyclones AAA

Post by shoot_the_puck » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Does anyone know why the Cyclones are now MN Legacy?

MNWILD2009

Re: What is going on with the Cyclones AAA

Post by MNWILD2009 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:59 am

shoot_the_puck wrote:Does anyone know why the Cyclones are now MN Legacy?
Who cares? :?:

nobama

Post by nobama » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 am

The parents do now they need to buy new jackets and underwear. :roll:

muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 am

Don't know why, but it seems as though they sure did change their name.

justhavefun

Post by justhavefun » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:33 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ CHA-CHING.

MrBoDangles

Re: What is going on with the Cyclones AAA

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:42 pm

shoot_the_puck wrote:Does anyone know why the Cyclones are now MN Legacy?
The MN Legaceeeeeees? :shock:

iwearmysunglassesatnight

Post by iwearmysunglassesatnight » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Perhaps for financial reasons? Now a new name, new company.
Was a duster and paying for it?????

hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:50 am

IMO, there can only be one reason. After spending the resources and effort necessary to establish a recognizable name only to change it now... has to be attributed to some kind of discord at the top or at the very least a hostile division amongst the investors. Otherwise, why the change? I guess it could also be related to some kind of brand infringement… but either way, it show you that as sports training evolves from a grass root based approach to a more commercial enterprise, these types of organizations are not immune from the pitfalls associated with big business

muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:42 am

hockeyheaven wrote:IMO, there can only be one reason. After spending the resources and effort necessary to establish a recognizable name only to change it now... has to be attributed to some kind of discord at the top or at the very least a hostile division amongst the investors. Otherwise, why the change? I guess it could also be related to some kind of brand infringement… but either way, it show you that as sports training evolves from a grass root based approach to a more commercial enterprise, these types of organizations are not immune from the pitfalls associated with big business
There are rumors that something like this is the case.

hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:12 am

It only makes sense right? What is more punishing a perfectly timed body check or Hockey Dads critiquing the coaching practices of their son or daughter’s team? It’s actually written into the bylaw somewhere, I think. My point is everyone thinks they have a superior way on how the game should be played and taught. For someone to then take it from the “I could do better then that” stage and actually put a comprehensive program together…well that takes a person with a strong conviction and a strong personality. With it, generally comes ego and ultimately the need for total control. After all, who knows more then me right? I’ve always found it’s easier to establish something then it is to maintain it.

P.S. I am only speculating on this so please take no credence or objection.

justhavefun

Post by justhavefun » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:00 pm

let it ne.
Last edited by justhavefun on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoreCowBell

Post by MoreCowBell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 pm

The name change could be a result of there being a similar entity in Ontario also called Cyclone Academy.

muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:12 pm

justhavefun wrote:I am sure its someone trying to turn it into a Business. Trying to make a living out of training kids, and Parents who do not know better, so they pay it becuase it puts them on the ice ALL SUMMER long. Please parents. I have been through it all, be careful for Burnout. These poor kids, they may say they want to play all summer long. but Is it because they don't know what else to do? If its not structured there bored. kids today do not know how to be creative and build forts, make up games, etc. Maybe this economy will help weed some of the new training facilities out. Does anyone ever check on the actual training, education, etc of these hockey trainers.?? I am not saying Cyclones (Or what ever) is bad. I am speaking "Trainer's" teacher's in general??
Some kids are more excited to play summer hockey than winter hockey. Every kid is different, some may get burned out, some don't. It's up to each parent to monitor their child and determine what is excessive and what is not.

Burn-out happens, but in my many years of personal experience, I find that it is more rare than people claim. Most of the kids I have run across love to get together in the summer and play more hockey, it gives them a chance to meet and play with different kids and different coaches.

Wblguy

Post by Wblguy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:31 pm

Discord at the top. hockeyheaven called it right. One person owned the trademarks and name, the other one didn't. Hence, Minnesota Legacy Hockey was born. Only the name has changed and the cyclone trademark/name owner is no longer involved.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:02 am

muckandgrind Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

justhavefun wrote:
I am sure its someone trying to turn it into a Business. Trying to make a living out of training kids, and Parents who do not know better, so they pay it becuase it puts them on the ice ALL SUMMER long. Please parents. I have been through it all, be careful for Burnout. These poor kids, they may say they want to play all summer long. but Is it because they don't know what else to do? If its not structured there bored. kids today do not know how to be creative and build forts, make up games, etc. Maybe this economy will help weed some of the new training facilities out. Does anyone ever check on the actual training, education, etc of these hockey trainers.?? I am not saying Cyclones (Or what ever) is bad. I am speaking "Trainer's" teacher's in general??

Some kids are more excited to play summer hockey than winter hockey. Every kid is different, some may get burned out, some don't. It's up to each parent to monitor their child and determine what is excessive and what is not.

Burn-out happens, but in my many years of personal experience, I find that it is more rare than people claim. Most of the kids I have run across love to get together in the summer and play more hockey, it gives them a chance to meet and play with different kids and different coaches.
First, during the summer a kid rolls out of bed around 8:00am and finally gets his butt to bed around 10:00pm -- 14 hours of awake time. An hour and a half at the rink 3 or 4 times a week will still give the kid plenty of time to build forts, play with dolls (sorry, action figures), smoke cigarettes behind the garage, and beat up his little brother out of sheer boredom.

Burnout: I'd be interested in any published sources that have actually statistically studied this issue by doing actual research. There must be some out there; people claim to paraphrase them all the time. The age of 13 comes up most often as the age kids 'burnout'. It seems to me that is also around the age of puberty, when a kid starts to become more self aware. Everyone, including 13 year olds, gravitates toward those things they are good at - it's easier for them, or they have been rewarded with praise or a self-gratifying sense of accomplishment. As additional interests crop up, like girls, music, school, those activities in which the child struggles will go by the wayside.

In short, my casual observation, not grounded in any type of scientific method, is that most, not all but most, 13 year olds quit because they suck. Yes, that contradicts pop-psychologists who like to point out that Ray Kinsella refused to have a catch with his dad.

13 year olds quit playing baseball every year in Minnesota, and I don't see teams out with orange balls or renting rec centers all winter long. In the south, kids play baseball in the offseason (winter); it's no coincidence that FSU, LSU, ASU are consitently in Omaha.

Last June a teacher sent home a recommended reading list for the 3 months of the summer - are you kidding me? Reading in the offseason? The kids will burnout. How will they learn to make mud pies with books in their hands?

justhavefun

Post by justhavefun » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:02 am

I respect your opinion. I can only speak as to my opinion. :)

hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:33 am

And I'll state mine...I think that was a great take on the subject InigoMontoya...nicely put.

muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:
muckandgrind Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

justhavefun wrote:
I am sure its someone trying to turn it into a Business. Trying to make a living out of training kids, and Parents who do not know better, so they pay it becuase it puts them on the ice ALL SUMMER long. Please parents. I have been through it all, be careful for Burnout. These poor kids, they may say they want to play all summer long. but Is it because they don't know what else to do? If its not structured there bored. kids today do not know how to be creative and build forts, make up games, etc. Maybe this economy will help weed some of the new training facilities out. Does anyone ever check on the actual training, education, etc of these hockey trainers.?? I am not saying Cyclones (Or what ever) is bad. I am speaking "Trainer's" teacher's in general??

First, during the summer a kid rolls out of bed around 8:00am and finally gets his butt to bed around 10:00pm -- 14 hours of awake time. An hour and a half at the rink 3 or 4 times a week will still give the kid plenty of time to build forts, play with dolls (sorry, action figures), smoke cigarettes behind the garage, and beat up his little brother out of sheer boredom.

Burnout: I'd be interested in any published sources that have actually statistically studied this issue by doing actual research. There must be some out there; people claim to paraphrase them all the time. The age of 13 comes up most often as the age kids 'burnout'. It seems to me that is also around the age of puberty, when a kid starts to become more self aware. Everyone, including 13 year olds, gravitates toward those things they are good at - it's easier for them, or they have been rewarded with praise or a self-gratifying sense of accomplishment. As additional interests crop up, like girls, music, school, those activities in which the child struggles will go by the wayside.

In short, my casual observation, not grounded in any type of scientific method, is that most, not all but most, 13 year olds quit because they suck. Yes, that contradicts pop-psychologists who like to point out that Ray Kinsella refused to have a catch with his dad.

13 year olds quit playing baseball every year in Minnesota, and I don't see teams out with orange balls or renting rec centers all winter long. In the south, kids play baseball in the offseason (winter); it's no coincidence that FSU, LSU, ASU are consitently in Omaha.

Last June a teacher sent home a recommended reading list for the 3 months of the summer - are you kidding me? Reading in the offseason? The kids will burnout. How will they learn to make mud pies with books in their hands?
I completely agree 100%. Great post. :wink:

Do we also tell kids who play in the school band to put their instruments away for the summer out of fear of them burning out? Of course not. We tell them that "practice makes perfect".

drop the puck

Post by drop the puck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:08 pm

Hockey is not alone here - even in Minnesota.

Basketball can be year around too. Many top grade basketball players head to AAU teams as soon as their community season is over. They play at a very high level. Many middle schoolers are scouted... Clinics and camps all summer long....

Many of your blue-chip Minnesota baseball players are playing / practicing baseball year around. There are true "AAA" elite teams that travel out-of-state to play baseball tournaments all winter long.

Many hockey players go from winter hockey practice to winter baseball clinics to become better pitchers or hitters.

While the numbers pale in comparison in Minnesota for off season baseball training vs off season hockey training - everything is there ...

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:04 pm

Yes. Volleyball players have JO, wrestlers go to freestyle and greco-roman tournaments in the summer, and swimmers never quite get dry because they're in the pool 52 weeks a year. Personally, I've never heard people associated with these activities complain about it.

A friend coached high school basketball; I never heard him say, "These kids would love the game more if they put the sneakers away in March and didn't dig them out again until November. If they'd only dismantle the hoop on the garage, we'd have a shot at state."

Yet when the Minnesota Hockey insert comes with USA Hockey magazine featuring a very nice article about Anders Lee, there are folks in the hockey community that shake it, announcing, "See." - their point - don't skate in the summer. Obviously they didn't read the article. Yes, it was about football and baseball, but almost as a footnote it mentioned the Elite league. I don't pretend to know the Lees and I apologize if my assumptions are incorrect, but I'd guess that while enjoying baseball, he still was skating, and even while enjoying football, he seems to have been skating.

Nobody is advocating beating the child with a riding crop to get him to go to the rink, anymore than one would advocate using a wooden spoon to get him to practice his piccolo. I'm sure this describes no one here, but I am against the parent who convinces kids, or scares young hockey parents, into avoiding off season hockey, spouting a variety of reasons - but it really boils down to his kid doesn't care much for hockey or it falls on Men's Night at the country club so the brakes get applied to a whole community of children so his kid won't fall behind.

I'm all for enjoying a whole variety of activities - baseball and football are great, golf, track, soccer, lacrosse all outstanding, swimming, basketball (well, not basketball). However, that in itself, is not a reason to hang up your skates. Give it a try; if it's not for you, then great. It may not seem like it looking out the window today, but the ice arena his a welcome, cool escape during the dog days of summer.

JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Guys - I couldn't agree more. The burnout discussion is nothing more than a crutch many use to prop up their own weak argument. People throw the term around like they are learned scholars on the mental development of children becuase they saw "burnout" happen to the neighbor boy, or their cousin's kid, etc...

The fact is many kids thrive on year round dedication to lots of different activities, hockey being one of them. Heck, my 14 year-old would spend every day in tree stand with his bow if the deer season was 365.

I think it's great to see a child find somehting he/she loves and want to absolutly be the best at it and dedicate themselves to the cause. Isn't that called work ethic? Isn't that somethingn we try to instill in them from day one?