Gopher Goaltending, anyone else see the trend?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

theref

Gopher Goaltending, anyone else see the trend?

Post by theref »

I've noticed this with a few goaltenders that have played for the Gophers. Their first seasons on the team, they seem to do well (when they get to play), however their second and third and beyond go horribly. I guess most noticable are Frazee and now Kangas.

I realize that the butterfly style is taught to most goalies, but are the Gopher goalie coaches over doing it? All the other teams know that all you have to do is go up top on Kangas because he's already going down.

So is this a problem with the Gopher coaching staff or is it the notion that "I play for the Gophers and we will just outscore the other team"
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Something in the water..

I know, sounds like a SA remark, but there is something behind the scenes I would guess. It goes back a few goalies, doesn't it? Before Frazee anyway... These guys don't just "get bad" all on their own.
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

Blue&Gold wrote:Something in the water..

I know, sounds like a SA remark, but there is something behind the scenes I would guess. It goes back a few goalies, doesn't it? Before Frazee anyway... These guys don't just "get bad" all on their own.
Three before Frazee:

Kellen Briggs- 84-36-8, 2.43 GAA, .907 Save %, 13 shutouts - Pretty solid.
Travis Weber- 24-8-7, 2.90 GAA, .886 Save %, 2 shutouts - Decent, but he did win a National Championship as a starter
Adam Hauser- 83-50-16, 2.85 GAA, .900 Save %, 8 shutouts - He got better each year he played, and ended it with the 2002 National Championship
HOUNDS
ALSECORD

Post by ALSECORD »

Without question Kangas is not the same goaltender he was, but the gopher D is horrible. One example: Aaron Ness is not ready for big time college hockey and I for 1 do not think he will ever live up to his billing. Awesome pond hockey talent, but he will never be able to contain the bigger stronger forwards. He has NO defensive upside. When is Lucia going to learn that just because your fast does not make you a hockey player. (Insert any# of gopher players.) He's finding out the hard way that one of these years he needs to start recruiting something other than defenseman that run all over the ice and have no real clue how to play defense.
Marty McSorely

Post by Marty McSorely »

I think a lot of it is defensive help.....but I'll also agree that AK has not played well since Stauber left the program. As for Lucia, ALSECORD you are right on! The fire MG because the D sucks and then they bring in a 17 yearold kid to play against 22 yearold men.......I think even clueless hockey moms can figure out whos going to win that corner battle.

Lucia needs to goooooo away!
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Correct me if I'm wrong, (like I need to say that. :lol: ) but it seems like many of these coaches recruit via the press. In other words, if a player is getting big press, like Ness, then they seem to think that they need him on the Gopher team. How many Mr. Hockey finalists have really worked out? (Fischer?) I think a team full of "stars" via the MN press is one of the problems that seem to haunt the team these past few years.
61ache

Post by 61ache »

To lay the "blame" of Kangas's lack luster performances of late on Gopher D seems like passing the buck. Defense, no matter who's on the ice, doesn't contribute to all the bad angle, short side, simply put bad goals that we've been seeing. He's in a slump, he knows it, and he'll figure a way to get out of it.

That being said, I know I'm a bit of a homer on this, but Ness is the best defensive defenseman on the Gopher squad--and Lucia knows it as well. As far as overrated defensive defensemen goes has anyone watched Cade Fairchild, especially since Christmas?

Fairchild racks up a lot of points, and he's a good offensive defenseman, but there's not a game as of late where I was impressed with his defensive play.

The gophers need to add some more size and talent to their blue line, and need to start looking at giving Kangas more competition if they want to make a run next year.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

When can Ben Marshall start?

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
bulldog14411

Post by bulldog14411 »

61ache wrote:To lay the "blame" of Kangas's lack luster performances of late on Gopher D seems like passing the buck. Defense, no matter who's on the ice, doesn't contribute to all the bad angle, short side, simply put bad goals that we've been seeing. He's in a slump, he knows it, and he'll figure a way to get out of it.
If you watched any of last year Kangas stood on his head down the end of the season and had a successful run and just like any other player he found his momentum and was able to ride that streak. Similarly he's hit a bump in the road and is on a down slump, all it takes is one or two games where he's seeing the puck well and moving his feet well and he'll be back on his game. That being said I hope it's not this weekend...
61ache wrote:That being said, I know I'm a bit of a homer on this, but Ness is the best defensive defenseman on the Gopher squad--and Lucia knows it as well.
Aaron's the most skilled defenseman on the team, he is still too small and struggles when being forced to take on bigger and stronger opponents but lets face it that's why he's at this level and not able to jump to the NHL. Hopefully maturing and the weight program over the summer can fix that.
61ache wrote:As far as overrated defensive defensemen goes has anyone watched Cade Fairchild, especially since Christmas?
Fairchild since christmas? what kid have you been watching? I've never been impressed by his defensive abilities. He's been a gaping hole for this team since he joined.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Kangas has no confidence in his defensemen, with good reason. When you don't have confidence in them you start guessing instead of playing your position; is he going to shoot or is he going to pass? Knowing the Gopher defensemen struggle Kangas has to make a guess which leaves him open to being wrong and bad angle goals.

I think teams have the Gophers figured out, throw the puck at the net and you'll get chances. Either Kangas saves it or in the ensuing scramble you'll come out on top because the Gopher defensemen aren't strong enough to box you out.
61ache

Post by 61ache »

bulldog14411 wrote:Fairchild since christmas? what kid have you been watching? I've never been impressed by his defensive abilities. He's been a gaping hole for this team since he joined.
Don't get me wrong, Fairchild's a good player. Just needs to put some time into his defensive play especially in his own zone--which I think was highlighted in a few plays in tonight's against Duluth. Which Gopher doesn't, though, lately. To me, just seems he's a not as confident as the on the other end of the ice and finds himself out of position a bit too much.
BeerBibleBullets

Post by BeerBibleBullets »

Agree that maybe Kangas has lost a little confidence, but the D has been terrible this season. Worst in the last decade...how many goals have I watched when our D was standing waiting to make a break out play while shooters were inside the circles.

Last couple years we had some issues with D not being able to skate with the puck, now we have gone the other way. Need a couple guys to move bodies, and make clearing pass to the wings (who need to toughen up).