delete

Please post all discussion of these items to this forum.

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

HockeyDad41

delete

Post by HockeyDad41 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:08 pm

del
Last edited by HockeyDad41 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:35 pm

According to its web site, Skate To Excellence will have 4 AAA teams this spring/summer, 3 girls' teams (2 at the U10 level) and 1 at the U12 level) and 2 boys' teams (1 at the '98 level and 1 at the 00 level). The boys' teams and the U12 girls' team are new this year. My understanding is that the '98 team will be coached by Joel Peterson, a non-parent Centennial PeeWee A coach who played at St. Cloud State. Joel works closely with the Skate To Excellence program, including serving as the main instructor for Skate To Excellence's stick handling sessions.

Skate To Excellence is owned by Terry Hughes, a former Centennial High School and Minnesota State player. Terry knows hockey and he works well with kids who work hard, want to get better and are respectful. If you want to learn more about Terry's programs, call him. He's approachable and responsive.

http://www.skatetoexcellence.com/aaahockey.html

HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:19 am

del
Last edited by HockeyDad41 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:46 am

Okay, HockeyDad, here's my humble opinion on Terry's programs. He's worth every penny we pay to him because he is a very good hockey instructor, but, more importantly, he is a life coach. My son skates in Terry's breakfast club program and he works with Terry one-on-one in off-ice shooting sessions. My son's skills have improved significantly while working with Terry and his partner, Joel Peterson.

Terry also works with my son on his confidence, mental toughness and work ethic. Terry is interested in my son as a person and has taken the time to counsel him when he is in a rut or struggling with a teammate issue. It's the positive little things that Terry does that makes him different from some of his competitors. Terry is what I refer to as a life coach. He teaches kids hockey skills, but he also works with kids on important life skills, including compassion, discipline and respect.

I know that you may think that I have had a little too much of Terry's Kool-Aid, but how many coaches or instructors would ask your child to call them to let them know whether your child made the team your child really wanted to make? And how many coaches or instructors would be thrilled to take your kid's call when he or she picked up the phone to place the call?

If you're interested in having your child work with a life coach and a hockey guy, as opposed to another hockey coach who doesn't want to invest any time in your child's personal growth, then I'd go with Terry. I agree that his web site needs work.

JoeBoy

Post by JoeBoy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:55 am

hockey_is_a_choice wrote:Okay, HockeyDad, here's my humble opinion on Terry's programs. He's worth every penny we pay to him because he is a very good hockey instructor, but, more importantly, he is a life coach. My son skates in Terry's breakfast club program and he works with Terry one-on-one in off-ice shooting sessions. My son's skills have improved significantly while working with Terry and his partner, Joel Peterson.

Terry also works with my son on his confidence, mental toughness and work ethic. Terry is interested in my son as a person and has taken the time to counsel him when he is in a rut or struggling with a teammate issue. It's the positive little things that Terry does that makes him different from some of his competitors. Terry is what I refer to as a life coach. He teaches kids hockey skills, but he also works with kids on important life skills, including compassion, discipline and respect.

I know that you may think that I have had a little too much of Terry's Kool-Aid, but how many coaches or instructors would ask your child to call them to let them know whether your child made the team your child really wanted to make? And how many coaches or instructors would be thrilled to take your kid's call when he or she picked up the phone to place the call?

If you're interested in having your child work with a life coach and a hockey guy, as opposed to another hockey coach who doesn't want to invest any time in your child's personal growth, then I'd go with Terry. I agree that his web site needs work.
"life coach" ... seriously ? 8-10 kids needs life coaches now. Stop the world and let me off.