MN Teir 3 Hockey ? MN Owls

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TellItHowItIs

MN Teir 3 Hockey ? MN Owls

Post by TellItHowItIs »

what can you tell me about this League / Organization? thanks
huville

Post by huville »

The MNJHL is a good league if you are trying to make it to D-3. Nothing more. Coaches who will tell you that you're guaranteed to move up and maybe get a D-1 contract are lying to you. It's not unheard of, but no more than 10 kids have done this.

The Owls on the other hand are a joke. Their best recruiter just left the team and they hired 3 new scouts. 2 of them have no idea what they are talking about and the 3rd is a kid who played for them last year that isn't moving on to a college team. Their 2 coaches do not recruit and do not help move guys on. Look at the MNJHL college list and look at who the Owls have moved on.... you will laugh if you actually thought about playing for them.

If you want to continue to play hockey and possibly move on to a D-3 school, talk to some other teams in the league but the Owls is not your answer.
CenterIce

Post by CenterIce »

The MJ calls itself Tier III A, but the reality is that it is still a B league. Most of the kids in this league either end their careers there, or move on to college club hockey. Very few ever earn a roster spot on an NCAA Div. III team, because the USHL, NAHL, Canadian and eastern leagues provide all of the players U.S. colleges need. The best players in the MJ either didn't make a NAHL team, or got cut because they couldn't compete at that level. It is a myth that the MJ is a feeder for the NAHL and NCAA hockey.
Educator29

Post by Educator29 »

I don't know if I would go that far. Teir 3 hockey still has its top end players. Its not a bad "source" for those who still want to extend there career. This may be what some need to make it the next step as these young men develop. The Owls have been under the same management for longer then any of the MN JR teams. so they do have some history. I agree they could, and should do a better job promoting players to the D-3 schools. But its all a learning process and a time issue. I believe the coaches are still fairly new to this coaching level (I could be wrong - just reviewing web sight) I have heard they have set themselves up with a couple new people that will work behind the scenes. There are alot of young men who want to continue playing hockey after high school and the Owls provide that service, so Hats off to them.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

my curiosity has got me now. I'm reading all the banter back and forth and based on what I know about college hockey....unless you are Division I calliber right out of high school that chooses to go to college instead of juniors or you are a solid NAHL or USHL player that for whatever reason does not end up playing D-1 and ends up dong the D-III thing, I don't see how anyone can say MNJHL is a realistic outlet to college hockey....I will take it one step farther....can someone in the know go thru the rosters (go to the USCHO website) and pick a conference ( I suggest MIAC since its most logical) and identify how many kids out of high school that played in this league actually played any college hockey...I'll be damned if I can find many......and the ones I do are goalies. I hope I'm wrong because I am very impressed with MNJHL....but you gotta call it for what it is.....one tremendous opportunity to continue to play hockey after high school and then its over. Am I wrong?
CenterIce

Post by CenterIce »

Bigbooya, you are not wrong. I went to www.collegehockeystats.net and randomly picked Hamline's roster. The breakdown for the 29 players is:

NAHL 10
USHL 8
EJHL 2
OPJHL 1
H.S. 8
MnJHL 0

Of the 8 kids that went to college straight from high school, the breakdown for games played during the season is:

McDonald, Soph. 2
Birkholz, Sr. 28
Festler, Sr. 19
Roth, Soph. 13
Hanna, Sr. 26
Kurr, Jr. 27
Krogen, Jr. 28

It is very rare that a freshman straight out of high school will crack a Div. III roster. For those that do, it is rare for them to get any real playing time. Most D-III schools carry 30 players on their rosters, and some also have JV squads. Older players from quality junior programs are able to step in and play. Younger players just out of high school usually are not.

If you scan all of the MIAC rosters you will see a few guys who played in the MJ, but in many cases listing the MJ as their "last team" can be misleading. Some of these kids played and got noticed in the Elite League, then joined an MJ team for a few games after their high school season. Technically, the MJ is the last league they played in, but is probably not why they are playing college hockey.

Bottom line, if you are going to the MJ with the idea that you will be scouted by D-III schools, you are kidding yourself. If your goal is NCAA college hockey, try out for a league where those schools recruit.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

very cool, nice research. You got me going now. I checked out Gustavus since they were the most sucessful MIAC team last year being runner-up in the NCAA DIII championship game in Lake Placid....all the regular players were D-I, USHL and NAHL except for 2 Roseville guys who jumped on the team as regulars right out of high school last year....... and a single goalie that yes, did indeed did come out of MNJL.
I think I'm right. D-I drop down ,USHL, NAHL or high school stud passing on juniors to go to D-Iis pretty much the way things go in college hockey these days.....Anyone want to debate me any further on this?
justhavefun

Post by justhavefun »

So - the question then is: Does it Hurt a players chances if they play in this league?? is it looked Down upon??

I would really like someone from the league to comment on this. if Owls team reps go on this sight. whats there thoughts ??
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

If you want information go to the league web site from the links section on the Mn Hockey web site. Some teams should list a history of where players have moved on to.
warrior hockey98

Post by warrior hockey98 »

As a former player from the MNJHL I have to disagree with the posters that say that this is not a worthwhile league. The overall talent level and competitiveness of the league has improved considerably over recent years.

After doing a little research here's what I found:

Augsburg: 2 players from the MNJHL
Bethel: 0
Concordia: 2
Hamline: 0
St. John's: 1
St. Mary's: 2
St. Olaf: 2
St. Thomas: 1 (even his last team is listed as Tartan, Cary Wood did spend time with the Owls and Ice Hawks)

Those are the numbers in the MIAC, let's not forget players that are playing in the NCHA. I didn't do any research but off the top of my head I know of at least 3 former Ice Hawks that are in the NCHA. Also, many players have moved on from the MNJHL to very good club programs such as Iowa State.

The league does tend to move players to the DIII level but there has been instances in the past where DI players have come from this league. Joey Spracklen spent 3 yrs. w/ the Ice Hawks and went to Army (he did skate in the WHL, but it was PRIOR to coming to the Hawks though.) Brother Chris Spracklen was also a former IH product too. (He spent a season in Canada after the Hawks). Josh Turnbull, former WI Mustang now a Badger at WI Madison. (he was in the USHL after the MNJHL.) Former IH's Condon and Lickteig will be going DI in the fall at Notre Dame and Mich. Tech respectively. 2 former IH's are in the pro ranks in the ECHL and the EPHL.

The league is definitely not a USHL or even a NAHL but it does provide a very good alternative to players who want to continue to play competitive hockey for another couple of years after high school.

I know a lot of people disagree and say if you're not good enough to be in at least the NAHL then you're best option should be to go to school but ultimately, the decision lies with the player and his particular situation to start school right away or to "live the junior hockey" dream/lifestyle before starting school and laboring for the next 40 years. Nothing wrong with having a little fun and playing some hockey...but like I said that is ultimately the decision of the player and his family.
justhavefun

Post by justhavefun »

Warrior: Thanks for the post. Great to have a former player comment on the league.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

warrier 98 I think I'd have to even challenge those stats................without names and games played to support your position, its pretty meaningless babble....I still think what i said originally is right on the nuts (see above)................... Division III hockey and above has more than enough to draw from without even having to look at MNHJL
CenterIce

Post by CenterIce »

That's what I'm talking about Warrior. The MJ can take creidt for Condon's and Turnbull's success, but neither of them ever played a full season in that league. When he was very young Turnbull played a few games in the MJ after a season at Hayward, WI High School, then he transferred to Duluth East for a year, then moved on the the USHL. For him, the MJ was just a place to pick up a few games. Similarly, Condon played a few games in the MJ when he was younger, but got where he is because he played for Team Wisconsin in the Elite League and had an outstanding fall and spring (Team Wisconsin gets together again after the high school season and tries to qualify for the USA Hockey U18 National Tournament). The MJ is what it is -- a good place for a lot of kids to continue their careers for a couple of years, make a lot of friends and have a great time playing hockey. From time to time there will be kids in the MJ who move on to higher junior leagues or college hockey, but they will be the exception. It is not a league that is scouted by Div. I or III college teams.
warrior hockey98

I have to agree that the MJ does not get scouted by D1 schools, however I have seen MIAC scouts at some games. I do recall a scout from Marion at an Owls game this past season.

Big Booya--since I'm bored on a Sunday night, I'll entertain you with some stats.

Augsburg:

Andrew Kent-G-Northern Lights-senior 26GP, 3.96GAA, .882SV%
Cory Ellertson-F-Mn. Ice Hawks-soph 24GP, 3G, 8A, 11pts.

Concordia:

Joe Duncan-G-Mn. Flying Aces-freshman 3GP, 3.78GAA, .887SV%
Kevin Nolt-F-Mn. Ice Hawks-freshman 7GP, 1G, 0A, 1pt.

St. John's:

Nick Roscoe-D-Mn. Owls-freshman 15GP, 0G, 3A, 3pts.

St. Mary's:

Karl Reinke-F-Mn. Ice Hawks-senior 11GP, 0G, 3A, 2pts.
Carter Czech-D-St. Paul Lakers-freshman 2GP, 0G, 0A, 0pts.
Chase Marshall-F-Mn. Owls-freshman 4GP, 0G, 0A, 0pts.

St. Olaf:

Thor Josefson-F-Mn. Ice Hawks-junior 23GP, 3G, 1A, 4pts.
Britton Smith-F-Northern Lights-freshman 14GP, 5G, 2A, 7pts.

St. Thomas:

Cary Wood-G-Owls/Ice Hawks-freshman 13GP, 2.48GAA, .898SA%

Marion University:

Nick Henkemeyer-D-Northern Lights-junior 26GP, 3G, 5A, 8pts.
Chris Thompson-F-Mn. Ice Hawks-freshman 27GP, 4G, 7A, 11pts.
Kyle Rasmusen-D-St. Paul Lakers-senior 26GP, 3G 7A, 10pts.

UW Stout:

Jesse Johnston-D-Mn. Ice Hawks-soph 7GP, 1G, 1A, 2pts.
Jeff Wheeler-F-Dubuque T-Birds-senior 30GP, 6G, 15A, 21pts.

Army:

Joey Spracklen-G-Mn. Ice Hawks-junior 3GP, 4.52GAA, .875SV%

So here you go, not the most comprehensive list but those were the ones that came to mind right away.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

warrier 98, i appreciate the effort you put into your response...........unfortunately my position remains the same...it a great venue for kids to play hockey after high school but that's about it..............your research which I have to believe was a little more than just casual...pretty much proves it out.....you came up with what? 13 -14 kids covering 2 conferences over a four year period with probably 1/2 that are freshmen that seen so few games that they won't even be on the roster next year......sorry, MNJHL is not a factor when it comes to college hockey.... it's pretty cool for those choice few that make the jump but for most it is not a reality..........Let's put a new spin on this, hopefully more upbeat...the league annouced a while ago it's all star MNJHL players.....what's going on as far as college commitments for these guys?
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

Got pretty quiet there...............so I will ask again.......what's the scoop with these allstars?....they should be the poster boys attesting to the credibility of this league.....I am not trying to be smart....I genuinely hope they are moving on and up...........just have not heard where?
Wisco Dad

Post by Wisco Dad »

Ditto.......

Who are the top guys are where are they going?
Or are they all coming back?
warrior hockey98

WHOA!! Hold on a second!! I never mentioned anything about all-stars nor did I say that players from the MNJHL are going to be all-stars. However, I am disputing the fact that people are saying players from the MNJHL aren't good enough to move to the next level. While none of them are all-stars and some of them won't make it the next season and most of them have very limited playing time...the fact of the matter is that they made it.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

Huh? Warrior 98 - Do you even read the posts you are responding too or do you just puposely confuse the issue? I said.......... what's going on with these guys?

2008-09 All-MJHL Team

Forwards
Adam Wiesner, Ice Hawks
Alex Naujokas, Lumberjacks
Brad Lukasz, Crusaders
Garret Windle, Northern Lights
Jake Calleja, Mustangs
Jakub Simicek, Owls
Justin Brausen, Owls/Wildcats
Justin Neis, Crusaders
Korby Anderson, Ice Hawks
Seth Ronsberg, Owls/Wildcats
Tony Schultz, Flying Aces
Tyler Wahl, Lumberjacks

Defense
Bryce Stevens, Ice Hawks
Erik Ordahl, Northern Lights
Garrett Anderson, Crusaders
Nik Haley, Owls
Robby Dahl, Ice Hawks
Steve Mlodozyniec, Lumberjacks

Goaltenders
Alex Bjerk, Ice Hawks
Justin Lochner, Lumberjacks

Player of the Year
Seth Ronsberg, Owls/Wildcats

Honorable Mention
Forwards
Bobby Thompson, Lumberjacks
Brandon Boyd, Lakers
Danny Grady, Ice Hawks
Joshua Pettit, Owls
Luke Davis, Flying Aces
Nate Percy, Northern Lights

Defense
Matt Kaufman, Lakers
Lane Mahoney, Northern Lights
Mike Stimart, Owls

Goaltender
Aaron Corey, Owls

Player of the Year
Justin Lochner, Lumberjacks
huville

Post by huville »

Here are some players I have heard of that are moving on:

Hudson Crusaders
Brad Lukasz Concordia-Wisconsin
Garrett Anderson UW-River Falls
Justin Neis Single A Pro Hockey
Kyle Romanchuk St. Mary's

Minnesota Ice Hawks
Adam Weisner Gustavus
Alex Bjerk Marian

Little Falls
Adam Fischer MSOE

Wildcats
Seth Ronsberg MJHL Winkler Flyers

For all of the people who like to bash the MNJHL, check out the main story on the league website and read what Seth had to say about it in his development.

http://mnjhl.com/
CenterIce

Post by CenterIce »

So what are you saying? The article you link to tells me that, after spending 3 or 4 years in the MnJHL, the league's best player is moving on to the Manitoba Jr. Hockey League. That league is on the same level as the NAHL.
warrior hockey98

KC Kranz from the Ice Hawks is reportedly going to St. Thomas.
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

Alex Naujokas GC Lumberjacks - Gustavus
huville

Post by huville »

CenterIce-

This was Seth's 2nd season in the league. He is also only 17 and going to be a senior. I ment look at what he had to say about high school vs. tier III.

And don't think I'm some big hater of high school hockey cuz i'm not. I love it. I am just a big hater of tier III bashers. Its obviously doing it's job.
the bigbooya

Post by the bigbooya »

huville and RLStars....question for you...it seems you are choosing your words very carefully......the players you've identified.....were they actually recruited by the coaches for these schools...or are they just moving on hoping to maybe make the team....big difference..for instance, Gustavus is loaded with top end players that are some of the best in the country....can't see a huge need for anything but the best players available (USHL drop downs, NAHL or blue chip high school D-I players who choose not to spend 2 years in juniors beforehand).....please clarify