Will Benik Break his scoring record?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will he break his goal scoring record?

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 56

nipe 6

Will Benik Break his scoring record?

Post by nipe 6 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:01 am

First of all I have to say lets stay on the topic please. There are many people that just rip on him, but lets keep it to ourselves. I have my own opinion as well.

Its not often we get to see the scoring record broken. We all know he can do it, regardless of his schedule and his style of play. There have been many other players throughout Minnesota High School hockey with a schedule just as easy. So lets feel fortunate we were able to follow the season the record was broken and the kid comes back for another season instead of leaving. Gotta love it!!

So lets hear some opinions. He started off the first few games hot, but then was shut out 2 consecutive games from scoring a goal. Will he pick it up and break his own record?

Lakeviewing

Re:Ice time an opportunity

Post by Lakeviewing » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:23 am

For as much ice time and opportunity- Yes he is on pace to break this record. This kid is always on the ice and gets a lot of opportunity to score goals. Play a Lake or Classic Lake schedule, against teams that actually game plans against a true scorer. Most higher level teams will put a checking line against him or shadow him. A EP, Bloomington, Edina, Minnetonka, Hopkins or Wayzata would likely have enough talent to shut him down.
nipe 6 wrote:First of all I have to say lets stay on the topic please. There are many people that just rip on him, but lets keep it to ourselves. I have my own opinion as well.

Its not often we get to see the scoring record broken. We all know he can do it, regardless of his schedule and his style of play. There have been many other players throughout Minnesota High School hockey with a schedule just as easy. So lets feel fortunate we were able to follow the season the record was broken and the kid comes back for another season instead of leaving. Gotta love it!!

So lets hear some opinions. He started off the first few games hot, but then was shut out 2 consecutive games from scoring a goal. Will he pick it up and break his own record?

nipe 6

Post by nipe 6 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:35 am

The schedule is already set, he is not playing against EP, Bloomington, Edina, Minnetonka, Hopkins or Wayzata. Lets stay on topic. Everyone knows that it would be different if he played on a different team, with a different schedule, with different line mates, and different opponents. Well too bad thats not the case. Its been beaten to death. We know who he is going to play, that his job on the team is for the most part to strictly score goals, and he gets alot of ice. Deal with it. I don't care how good or overrated he is. Will he break the record? lets please stop the arguement at this so it does not get locked up and we can have a fun discussion about this.

MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:06 am

With him playing crappy teams and his suck-hole style of hockey i`d say he has a great chance...

wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:36 am

Why isn't there an overrated poll option?

GopherPuckPlayer

Post by GopherPuckPlayer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:34 am

If he can break his 101 record awesome. Best the luck to him, will it happen? We will see what the season holds for Benik.
Red ice sells hockey tickets.

my2cents

the scoring record is held by Ben Hanowski

Post by my2cents » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:13 am

Benik has the record for single season goals, not scoring.

The weaker teams scheduled to play St Francis are improved, plus they play one less game. Last season, they played two vs Meadow Creek where Benik scored about 12 goals in those games.

With the start he has, which is still a lot of goals, he still has a lot of ground to make up. It will be tough.

greyhoundfan

Post by greyhoundfan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:34 am

MnPride2 wrote:With him playing crappy teams and his suck-hole style of hockey i`d say he has a great chance...
hahahahaha my thoughts exactly

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:38 am

The answer to your question is no.

nipe 6

Post by nipe 6 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 pm

So you guys are saying that he is the only kid to ever come out of high school hockey to play against crappy teams and play a suck hole offense? Not even close. I'm not saying he's great or bad i'm keeping that to myself. But you have to give him credit cause there are hundreds of players that graduate every year with a schedule just as bad, yet he still owns the goal record.

nipe 6

Post by nipe 6 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:24 pm

And I also stated I dont care if you think he is over rated or a god. Thats not what the topic is about. Strictly about wheter you think he will or won't break the record.

PowerForward25

Post by PowerForward25 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:31 pm

It depends if the "crappy" teams are going to shadow him the whole game. If the team thought they could win it then they would assign someone to shadow him the whole game. I'm not saying he is St. Francis' only source of offense but he does contribute a lot. If a team knows they are going to lose then they more than likely will play the same way they play every other game with no shadow player. When i watched him play East Ridge they didn't have anyone shadow him. He did have three goals that game, one an empty netter, but in that particular game his brother Andy was the over all deciding factor in that game.

I don't think he will break it. 103 points is a lot and everyone already knows that he is a goal scorer. Last year at the beginning of the season no one knew who he was therefore didn't set a game plan that revolved around him.
Now don't take this personally but....

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:34 pm

He has pleanty of hockey left in his career. He IS one of the best players in the state and is committed to SCSU. I'm not his biggest fan, but he has to play "suck hole" hockey sometimes because he plays for St. Francis. He just isn't surrounded by the talent other players have. Hats off to him for sticking with St. Francis and playing his Sr. season. The kid can skate and has good shot accuracy. Is St. Francis going to state? No. Can he break his own record? Yes. Will he? I personally don't think so. I think he will come within 5-10 goals of it. His hockey career depends on his development in Juniors, where he has to play defense. I think he will do just fine. But he's going to get ripped on as long as he's in high school unfortunately.

hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:48 pm

I think if Benik had to do a little more than just score things would be different. Against better competition Benik would have to grind, play defense, and work for every puck.He would have to play a much tougher game, leading to him being more tired, and put him in a position where he cant score so many goals.

hs hockey fan

Post by hs hockey fan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:48 pm

When I watched him play against East Ridge Benik had a goal scorers touch but he didn't play a gritty style of hockey instead he just let his teammates do the work and he gets all the glory of scoring, if he breaks his own record good for him but I don't think he will this year.

effort

Post by effort » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 am

Its extremely funny listening to the know it alls! If Benik leaves everybodys pissed because another great (17) year old left High School Hockey. Benik stays he gets ripped on. This kids is the really deal. He does play with elite players. People seem to forget he played for the Advanced 17s. With leddy, Bugstead and more. He lead the team in points. The critics that bark about benik probably don't have a kid going to play division 1 and are just jealous. If you think his schedule is weak move up their and play in their conference so your kid can play division 1 hockey. If the conference is so weak why doesn't everybody have those kinda points? More power to the kids that stay and finish their High School careers and stay were they Grew up.

Lakeviewing

Benick's career

Post by Lakeviewing » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:23 am

MNHockey75 wrote:He has pleanty of hockey left in his career. He IS one of the best players in the state and is committed to SCSU. I'm not his biggest fan, but he has to play "suck hole" hockey sometimes because he plays for St. Francis. He just isn't surrounded by the talent other players have. Hats off to him for sticking with St. Francis and playing his Sr. season. The kid can skate and has good shot accuracy. Is St. Francis going to state? No. Can he break his own record? Yes. Will he? I personally don't think so. I think he will come within 5-10 goals of it. His hockey career depends on his development in Juniors, where he has to play defense. I think he will do just fine. But he's going to get ripped on as long as he's in high school unfortunately.

Personally, I often think of the kid from Sleepy-Eye (the southwestern hockey hot bed) several years ago that lite up the high school hockey scoring title, but didn't make it at the college level. Playing at the next level takes a commitment to play offense and take care of the defense zone. One has to be a finisher and a solid two way player in all zones. A solid player makes plays in the defensive zone and makes other players better on the ice. Just play solid on both ends of the ice.

LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:11 am

Its not that he is the only goal scorer to ever play a poor schedule and play no defense, but if he were in the Lake or NWSC or Classic Lake, the 3 top conferences IMO, he would be a 20-25 goal scorer maybe. Call me crazy but on a top 20 team he'd have to play defense, would see less ice, and would play tougher competition capable of defending his floating/suck hole style of play. Not bashing the kid, great shooter and scorer, but his schedule pads his stats.

nipe 6

Post by nipe 6 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:34 pm

LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:Its not that he is the only goal scorer to ever play a poor schedule and play no defense, but if he were in the Lake or NWSC or Classic Lake, the 3 top conferences IMO, he would be a 20-25 goal scorer maybe. Call me crazy but on a top 20 team he'd have to play defense, would see less ice, and would play tougher competition capable of defending his floating/suck hole style of play. Not bashing the kid, great shooter and scorer, but his schedule pads his stats.
As I said in my opening statement, I don't care about your opinion about his talent. This is strictly about him breaking the scoring record. He plays for St. Francis, not for a team in NWSC or the Lake. Deal with it. So we can stay on topic.

B K LOUNGE

Post by B K LOUNGE » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:11 pm

He's a talented player in a crapy section, 2nd line on most high school teams! sorry fellas but he's not that good

Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:58 pm

B K LOUNGE wrote:He's a talented player in a crapy section, 2nd line on most high school teams! sorry fellas but he's not that good
Nothing against Joey, but we would be better off discussing Nick Bjugstad's style of play and how many points he could attain by the end of the year. Benik see's ALOT of ice no matter what the score of the game is where as Bjugstad will see no ice in the 3rd if the score has already been run up. Bjugstads stats don't really speak for themself for what he could really achieve if he saw the ice as much as Benik. Hats off to the coaching staff at Blaine for not running the score up and sitting his prime players and giving the other lines ice time. Blaine vs. St. Francis let's see what Benik can do then. I bet there would be no suckhole style of play. Ya, I know I got off the subject, but I needed to put it in perspective, sorry

nipe 6

Post by nipe 6 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:53 am

You guys just dont get it do you

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:58 am

effort hits on the big points of arguments like this;
1. Good player stays on team with bad schedule and gets ripped on for doing well.
2. He doesn't play to get a lot of goals, but to get assists and help team grow, no one knows about him.
3. He leaves and goes elsewhere, he gets ripped on for leaving.
#3 is probably best for his development. Good for him for choosing #1 and sticking around home, while probably doing a lot of #2 as well.

It is tough to see which is better: the good player on bad team scoring a lot against mostly bad teams or the good player on a good team scoring a lot. The good player on a bad team probably is doing all of the work, not many assisted goals and not great line mates. The good player on a good team has two other line mates who are probably similarly talented to feed puck to and get puck fed from.

Good luck to him. Where's he going to college?

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:45 pm

nipe 6 wrote:You guys just dont get it do you
No one listened the first 32 times you tried to get this thread back on topic, what makes you think they would listen this time?
The U invented swagger.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Joey's on pace for 65 goals in the regular season, which would eclipse his previous record by two. And, although St. Francis's regular season schedule is still soft, it's certainly not the joke it was last year (no Meadow Creek).

For the record, I don't think he'll break his own scoring mark, but I do think he has some talents that others don't have. He also has some bad habits that others don't have.